Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Show you UO Age.

- - - - - age show uo

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
What was it like when you first started to play UO.

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
When I first started to play it was not uncommion for pvp players to be gm taste ID. or mining at one point in time. No Tram, no rune books, no private houses, banks had tones of people at them not just luna. there was no luna, Stats lose! bodies decayed it was not much to go into shame and find all the regs you needed to hunt with on the ground from somone they died an hour ago. Pre-patch weapons. Exp - FLame strike - hally!!!
Choas/order Choas could cast with shields on. On LS me and my friends used to own the road leading from east brit bank on are thiefs steal there preal, steal there heavy x-bow then fight them with there stuff it was a good time macroed to 90 stealing in a week man it was fun then. just a few things that i remember off the top of my head.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I wasn't around during the heyday of Felucca, unfortunately. Its actually kind of disappointing, because I love hearing stories from some of the old roleplayers about the Seers and the old player-run villages.

I started playing soon after the Orc/Savage scenario had begun (June 2001). I remember walking by Britain Bank, and nearly crashing because of the sheer volume of people there. It was crowded all the way to the Britain Tailor Shop (and this was on Baja, which is not known for its population by any means). I specifically remember a player named Tarzan, with ten or so horses lined against the wall of a nearby building, selling them for a couple hundred gold a piece. To think with the game we have now, that once upon a time people were still selling horses at the bank!

I wandered north, and decided to fight my first "monster." I quicky went into war mode, and charged the cow...only to loose connection, and die. Young at the time, I was teleported to Cove to find it being invaded by Orcs. I had no idea that it was part of a scenario. Based on the Ultima Online: Renaissance Guide, I thought it was a relatively regular occurance.

I miss those times. I mean, I love the many improvements and developments of Ultima Online (namely, the addition of new cultures such as the Elves and Tokuno, Custom Housing, etc), but I miss those days.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I remember you never carried the rune to your house and your house key with you. If you were dumb enough to do that and got killed, the PK would just go to your house and pick it clean.

Even if you left the rune behind and they just got the key, many times they would run around trying every door they could hoping to find the right house.

People used to HATE people who set campfires around the bank as it would raise everyone's Camping skill and thus lower some other skill. For things like Fishing, the first skill I ever GM'd, this was a major problem since you could only get SoS's at GM.

People spent more time in town, esp newer players, and the towns, esp Britain, were just full of people. I really miss those days. Not to mention since UO was pretty much the only MMO at the time the ideas and ideals of how people behaved or what was right or what was just a game were still being sorted out, all very raw. A trip to the city of the dead and getting back to town alive with your silver sword of ruin and a few thousand gold was a good day, lol

Treasure maps were still very exciting and seemed like a bonanza of goodies.

Oh yeah, there was no neon hair, weapons, clothing, etc. which was a good thing.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
My oldest memories all involve brit bank... begging people to let me borrow an item id wand to check out something I looted at the cemetery, nicely asking all those haughty smiths up at the blacksmith shop to repair my armor for me, and then kindly asking to have it back when they refused to return it :) I wasn't brave enough to venture far from the guard zones for most of my first six months, so I just hung around the banks and the brigand camp, trying to hustle up enough money to buy a small house. When the US invaded Afghanistan, they put a stop on all house decay for the military players who would otherwise lose their homes from not opening their door, so that drove up the prices considerably - I was lucky enough to have a house beforehand. 8x8s were going for a mil or more, and this was an age when you were one rich f*** if you had just 5 mil :P

I know you want it ^_^
Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
My account started when ML came out. My oldest memories of UO, watching my hubby, fighting Bucs Den server line wars. That was the place to be and not Yew gate.

No vent/teamspeak. No guildchat. They either had to be in party to communicate, or someone was calling shots in icq.

First time he let me play on his account: I brought a crafter/mage to Oaks :)

I also hung out at the brit forge with other smiths. It was relaxing just smithing there, and occasionally rezzing ghosts from Brit cemetery.

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
5 Mil i remember like 1 min and you had more money then god! Seers i remember them my friend became one. Server downs also people would put on there inv plate and bring out the vanqs it was a good time it would be like 12 at night and the ggrave yard above brit would be packed full of people reds in the graveyard and blue outside of it or people going to go red that night in the yard and others outside of it it was great. i had a bag full of runes in my bank that i have all nice that had all the places to hunt. I remember the campfires also. good times i played diablo first so in that game if you were about to die just log out and safe not in UO first day i had like a might or force i think sword someone gave me i had like 30 monsters after me i just logged out came back dead.:(

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
anyone remember when you could type when hidden? that was always fun on my thief people would walk to bank hide and say bank i would just click on there words to get to paperdoll and snook them that way.

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
My first UO box came with the map also so that kind of shows my age also.

Guest_Justice_*

Guest_Justice_*
  • Guests
i remember back when i first started, no tramm, just fel, and everytime i had some good gear, i would either get killed by some pvp person just because they wanted my gear, or would go on raids with the guild i was in with cabe and keep dying hehehe, but mostly, would get killed by pvp for no reason other than i was a new player and couldn't defend myself properly from them.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Cloth map, and the little UO pen. Tho I think that came with my second age box, I can't remember.

Day one- Went Dark Lord by cutting up bodies and accidentally attacking someone [from a good distance away and not even hitting them], stopping, apologizing, and then getting killed by said person who said something derogatory about "dang reds" or something to that effect.

This was a "Great lord" that killed me, and from that point forward I didn't think they were so great at all.:(

I had a tailor, SoSew, and my first miner, DigDug [named him after an orc I'd seen] had got to 78 smithing before I deleted him [this will be explained] and a macer named Ug, Thud, or something I can't remember that's similar to those two names.

Target was my first character, the character's real name some of you might know, I asked my one friend (who along with a good friend of his who got me into the game) if the name "Target" was a good idea, and he said, "you'll see."

Haha. Obviously I did. So, down the line a little ways...ok, truth be told, this character, well...I didn't know you gained skills the first two weeks. I just kept 'resurrecting with penalties' and thought, hey cool, I can come back to life right where I died if I wanted to.

I didn't see a penalty, so yeah.

First player who stuck up for me was on day 1, Lidian was her name.

That was the last time I saw her, but I'll never forget her noticing how confused I was [she had a horse, and like, nobody had horses, those were for rich people; EDIT- we started with 100 gold and a candle] and helping to lead me through the brit pass and telling people I was new so they wouldn't think of me as some 'evil player' (the nervous guy with the heavy crossbow made me really worried when he said this)...

Needless to say, I had to res at the orc fort after running all the way to town and seeing that healers wouldn't res me, thankfully a [shadowclan] orc decided to res me.

I eventually got my own account as I'd made characters on my friend's....so my age wouldn't correctly show even if I wanted it to.

This was a time when the Picts and others were around quite often.

The undead guilds and whatnot had also begun to establish themselves....don't forget the Shadowclan Orcs. Mind you, I had to learn a bit of Orcish to talk to those guys.

I at one point, pretended to be an orc to get through and pulled it off successfully. Sorry shadowclan, but the orc's just not in my blood. haha.

It would be some time before we'd see the first Grandmaster Mage, which I believe was Trunks.

Evaluating Intelligence was useless at the time, Meditation flat out didn't exist, and alchemy....you people training alchemy these days got it EASY...I spent several hundred thousand when gold was hard to come by training that skill.

Greater explosions also chain reacted. Ever see a newbie loaded down with 30 or more run into the center of the WBB and drop a bag after lighting one? Not a pretty site. Usually a red ghost ran off, but a bunch of his buddies [and bystanders-- the ones that survived] would bank their goods, and then start dry looting them before the guards were called.

Chaos/order wars occurred in the middle of town, you couldn't miss them. Hiding was a necessity, and you could talk/precast spells while hidden. Everyone had hiding.

Events? What? We saw lord british and blackthorn speak!

We had Seers! Counselors! Volunteers! Senior Counselors!

We had so many things going on we'd be lucky to notice an event, let alone follow through and actually go to it.

Sometimes a GM would take over a creature and that was sorta the 'boss' type thing.

Most mages had a weaponskill, a ranged weaponskill, magery, tactics, parry, resist, and hiding. some had other templates which ixnayed the combat in favor for templates that could utilize poison and newbie daggers.

Bards didn't need this "line of sight" junk and the subsequent nerfs that followed...because even a small child knows that music follows no line of sight but is heard, even at great distances.

Just ask the ice-cream man, because I'm sure you heard him well before seeing him when you were a kid.

Seeing "Hehe" pop up out of nowhere when my Silver Force bardiche got looted before I could try it on a lich made me more than a little frustrated, and while it was looted by a hidden player.

Eventually mages started wearing full plate when smiths [there was no GM mark so you had to take their word for it] started selling exceptional weapons. Armslore would tell you how damaging they were and confirm the maker was indeed a grandmaster smith, and item id would also confirm this along with 'VDP' or vendor default pricing.

Black dye tubs were actually hoarded, and the cloth exorbinantly valuable, but my guild tried their best to dye stuff for newbies for free, and supply the cloth for a minimal fee [and usually for free].

Hunting was done in groups, and you could gate into all dungeons. You could also gate monsters into town/houses.

House keys were dangerous to carry, and runebooks were a dream. You kept your runes in the bank, and you generally didn't carry that many regs unless you felt lucky/rich or travelled with a huge group.

Cheating is bad now? Bah, cheating was terrible then. Disconnect hacks, you name it, people ran it, just to bump the legit players long enough to kill them while they were offline.

Lag? 56k ran UO smoothly enough.

Bone armor was actually sought after, and level 1 deceit was frequented by reds for this very reason.

This changed with the release of The Second Age [T2A] when the FoA [Followers of Armageddon] cast the Armageddon spell, and failed, causing the Lost Lands to be discovered...and many....other rare items.

Silver steeds and Dark steeds spawned due to an 'accidental' switch on by an EA/OSI staffer. They were taken from those that tamed them legitimately.

I'll complain about this, because a good friend of mine refuses to log on for fear they'll change her pre-patch unicorn [it eats something different than what they're supposed to, I think it's fruit...or was it meat? It's not supposed to eat it, whatever it is] if she logs on.

A gm showed up and said "this animal is not allowable in-game".

Gm's....Let's just say it's a love/hate kinda thing. I've had good and bad experiences with them....they used to show themselves publicly, now...good luck getting one to show up let alone unhide himself.

Which reminds me, people talked a lot more maturely and behaved better in those days, because if you didn't, either a GM showed up, or you got an ebolt to the head when hunting....sometimes both.

Reputation system? I started with Notoriety. "This will raise your notoriety!" I thought, "cool, raising something MUST be good!"

Man, how wrong I was.

I was "The Malicious Target" and "The Scoundrel Target" for a while...People refused to heal me because of my karma. Hunts went so well in those days.

Odd thing was, I found that a lot of the reds/thieves could actually carry on a decent conversation back then.

Some of them would kill you afterwards, but at least you had an opportunity to get someone elses perspective on the game instead of rushing around like you were in a hurry for the next big item/thing/event.

Sometimes you'd make a good friend, and I found that people in those days that had thieves or reds were generally smarter and sometimes more well-versed than a lot of people.

Very RARELY would someone talk like these "PvP'ers [pks/npks/pvp'er-same thing, different politically correct labels, meh]" do that I've seen. People actually knew how to play the game to have fun moreso, and not so much to toggle every single spell in the book and shred you like a piece of tissue paper just because you existed..

I do recall seeing 2-3 small guilds that pulled the "show up and destroy everything" motto, and that type of poisonous gameplay is slowly leeching its way and causing greed in the champion spawns.

Some of those guilds had players that kept this playstyle alive.:(

I could still list most of the folks I knew, but am not sure I'm allowed to, so I edited the heck outta my post, hah.

Well, not entirely...but at least my warrior/bard could actually kill someone who attacked/looted him.

You also had to fight for your armor/stuff back if you lost it.

It was convient when they were still grey from looting you.

Man, did I have fun getting those people back.=)

Salty Pete

Salty Pete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My first big UO adventure was adventuring out to a house that had a public black dye tub to use.... I was savagely killed by dire wolves.

It was one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had in any game.

A few weeks later I saw my first Ostard as they were finally allowed into Trammel and Felucca.

Lady Treasure Isle

Lady Treasure Isle

Proprietor of Treasured Goods Shoppe and Library, PaxOku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Trammel existed, but didn't have housing yet. I spent hours wandering around Moonglow picking up regs for my scribe and killing chickens for feathers and meat, cows and goats for hides and meat, and picking up everything people left around the bank so I could sell it all to buy blank scrolls that I could scribe into recalls for sale. GM quality armor and weapons were great quality and sought after by everyone. Brit bank was so crowded and exciting, and dragons terrified me :)

Bright blessings!

Posted Image Please "view" my eggs and hatchlings and release my inner dragons!

Comicon

Comicon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Let's see,
Tram. & Fel. only, and not much difference between the two.

If in Fel., and you wanted to go to Tram. you had to get a Moonstone as loot by killing specific creature's, like Orc's, then while outside a Towne on a dirt road, click on the Moonstone and burry it, and a Faucet Moongate would open, which would send you to the exact same spot in Tram.

If you wanted a better weapon, you had to kill monster's and hope you find something better as loot, like a Katana with spell reflection charges. Other loot item's were, Ring's and Braclet's with charges on them, and clothing with charges like Night Sight.

Snooping and Stealing was very popular at Tram. Banks, and if you got guard wacked, anyone and everyone could instantly loot your corps.

Armor and Weapon's could only be repaired by a Smith, and if you did'nt have a smith, you had to find one who was hopfully honest enough to give your stuff back.

LRC did'nt exists, you had to carry enough regeant's.

Brit. Bank was the hangout, also Vesper Bank was very busy.

If you wanted to place a home, you had to buy a house deed for the size and style you could afford, all houses were specific, no customizing, but even finding a vacant 7x7 plot back then was almost impossible.

All home's were in constant decay mode, every few day's you had to refreash your home or it would collaps, also the only way to lock your front door, was with the house key.

While in Tram. or Fel. and your friend die's in or out of Towne limits, and you loot his/hers corps so the item's wont disapear when the bones vanish, you would turn grey, even if your partied, and then anyone could kill you and loot not only your item's but your friend's as well.

Moonstar

Moonstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I started sometime after Trammel was introduced. black sandals were actually worth something and black dye tubs aswell. I'd run around gathering regs off the ground for my mage and pick up trash in Brit so i could sell them for gold. Back then if you had a mil you were rich.
Houses were placed using a deed and the medium - large homes were really expensive .One of my first houses i owned was a big Brick house in felluca and i liked having keys for the interior doors. My neighbors behind me were Reds and I was afraid to be home when they were.
back in those days we still had moonstones and that's how i got to khaldun when i was brave enough to go with my friend who loved the puzzle chests in there. And I later found that it was a great way to find housing spots for locations in fel when the tram one was taken.
When murdered you could place a price on the murderer's head that would be payed to the person who slayed them i guess and there were bulletin boards at banks so you can find quests to do.

Tamers were the richest players So i decided to be a mage/tamer and was so happy when i was finally able to tame mares, but it was really unsafe to do it. I think It was in felluca at terathen keep? some dangerous place where ppl horded the spawn and killed you for thinking you had a chance lol!
man i miss the days of not having pet slots even if we did get the occasional laggy display of 50 sheep in town.

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

What was it like when you first started to play UO.

HO HO HO.. When I first started playing UO it was for over 18s only. There was no trammel and people behaved pretty much how they wanted to. I remember male chars being able to wear female armour. Also you could turn red just from bad karma and there were thousands of Great Lords running around. Was good they changed the karma system. Funny was you could cut up bodies and give people your heart... aww. Each single body part would have the name of the character e.g A brain of Markus Balthazar LOL!!!
If you were pked you could place a bounty upon the pk. The notice board would display the bounties and how much each PK was worth. If you hunted the PK you then chopped their head off and brought it to the town guard who would then give you the bounty.

When you started the game you only had a mere 100gp in your backpack. You used to be able to gate monsters into town or anywhere! they would follow you through the gate so you could trap them in your house. People could break into your house as well using the lock picking skill so you could get robbed. Anyone could enter your house at will so you would have to leg it into your house which was quite funny.

The not system was awful, being grey meant there were alot of GM hiders out there desperate to survive being attacked by blues or reds.

You learned to stay on the moors and avoid roads so as not to bump into the PKs. People would steal from you at the bank all the time or sneak into your backpack. or make lude comments!!! :o

When nightmares came anyone could ride them and they seriously kicked butt.

Once someone stole my key and broke into my house. I rounded up a group of PVPers and we all went to the house and got him out. Was a great community spirit.

Also regardless of your fame your main skill was shown so there were loads of neophytes running around, was funny.

Then there were the tents, thousands of them almost blocking the road. Each tent had a little treasure chest in it. Was handy to hide in there sometimes if you had to, but was hard running around and trying to get past the tents which were often placed on the roads.
Also you could get furs from bears which was funny.
Posted Image

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
There was one practical template if you wanted to survive. You needed magery, swords, archery, tactics, resist spells and hiding. Parry was useless against arrows. Healing would heal 1-5 damage, even at high levels, and had a 12 second timer attached to it. Tab-hiding was the most commonly used exploit at the time (remember tab-tab-hide?). Napa was down more often than it was up. Reds wouldn't hunt alone unless they were really brave or cheating, as stats loss was brand new. Even the cheaters hunted in groups, since they wouldn't want to lose their one hit weapons.

I bucked the system. I was a role player, and played my roles well. My first character was a tailor who was supposed to be a pacifist. Getting Seer/IGM intervention in our village was the biggest blessing and the biggest curse at the time. For as great as it was for our popularity, it also encouraged the "evil" guilds to pay us week long visits. It got to the point where rather than try to drive them off, we chose to play with them instead, and many evil players turned to role play or defense of our little town instead of griefing us.

The most fun, however, was playing my bard. Her music skill was stuck at 92, and her provoke was stuck at 68... for about 6 months. Things like that just happened back then, especially with crafting skills, but also with non difficulty based skills. Neither that nor the fact that provoking turned people gray stopped me. I still went out and hunted. Some people killed me, others realized that letting me live would bring more profit than killing me. I never took anything with me anyway... just enough reagents to get home. So no trip out was a loss.

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
no tram when I started, just bloodthirsty fel. I used to hunt rats in the sewers for an hour just to get enough money for armor only to have it taken off my dead body when i left town. I remember lockpicking to 20 for dex, setting it down an working mining to 20 for str, setting it down, lockpicking for dex, ........you get the idea. the boat trick ruled with the ship key recall for gm med. worked with music and animal lore too. I remember being brought into a guild so they could kill me on a boat, set it sailing and recall off the boat, so that was fun waiting for the gm to get me out of there. I remember gm magery was cause for celebration, and joining a faction could lift the stat loss off your red if you had 5 or less murder count. God I miss those days when you had as much to worry about from monsters as you did pkr's on the roads. Oh, and I miss provoking the Ogre Lords only to have a tamer come along and kill all my provoked OL's. That's why I built a tamer.

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Cloth map, and the little UO pen. Tho I think that came with my second age box, I can't remember.

Hmm I know i playedbefore Second age came out hmm i need to look up and see what box i got.

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I Had the first box that came out i just looked it up

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: age, show, uo