Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

PvM Damage Absorption for non-meddable armor

- - - - - absorption armor damage nonmeddable pvm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I did not invent this idea. Others have proposed it for awhile now.

However, I don't recall there being a thread devoted to it, wherein EA could see us specifically discussing the disadvantages and advantages of this idea.

I don't want to make it too specific...I've noticed that proposals that are too specific, the team tends to disregard because if they take it verbatim there will be complaints that they are stealing ideas.

At any rate,.....I like the idea of there being some kind of an entire suit of non-meddable armor having some kind of PvM damage absorbing property, similar to that of swamp dragon barding as described here:

http://www.uoherald....x.php?fofId=124

(Many thanks to the person who gave me that link, btw.)

I'd think that the armor damage absorption should either not stack with the barding absorption, or at least they should stack only to the same % of damage absorbed as afforded by GM barding.

Why an entire suit? Because it just seems easier than adding up the absorption piece by piece. Also, the most commonly used piece of non-meddable, the Jackal's Collar, already has enough advantages on its own.

What do I mean by an entire suit? Head, chest, neck, legs, arms, hands slots. (You are not obligated to find non-meddable boots.)

Why not specifically for plate? Because different properties for plate and other non-meddable armors may have made sense way back when there were different dexterity penalties. But now, the distinctions consist almost solely of strength requirements and cosmetic differences.

Would an item with mage armor count as non-meddalbe? Hell no. It's meddable, by definition. Also if we counted mage armor you could "double dip" and get both Meditation and damage absorption.

Why not effect PvP too? Do I really have to answer this one?

Advantages
-Get people wearing non-meddable armors again, other than the Virtue Suit and the Darkwood Suit (and even that, I've seen that one with Mage Armor more and more often).

-Would only effect PvP indirectly (make it slightly harder to obtain the help of spawn in killing someone...But I don't think we'll see anyone in Fel wearing non-meddable armors just for this, please note that you haven't seen swamp dragons in Felucca for a long time, at least not in any significant numbers).

-We might see a Knight's Armor set in actual use at some point in our lifetimes.

Disadvantages
Am I crazy for not seeing any significant disadvantages of this at the moment?

Someone will notice at least one, I'm sure.

-Galen's player

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
What do you mean by "Damage absorption"?...

Do you mean a damage decrease % or something that gives you extra mana or HP at the cost of the attacking monster?

And if you mean a decrease%, would that be on top of the resists? (effectively increasing all resists by that %?)
And wouldn't an appropriate resists bonus achieve the same?
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

What do you mean by "Damage absorption"?...

Do you mean a damage decrease % or something that gives you extra mana or HP at the cost of the attacking monster?

And if you mean a decrease%, would that be on top of the resists? (effectively increasing all resists by that %?)
And wouldn't an appropriate resists bonus achieve the same?

I believe that the Swamp Dragon barding absorption is taken after damage is calculated, with resists taken into account.

My specific intent was to have the non-meddable armor absorption work exactly the same way as swamp dragon barding. Just be a lesser amount, and either non-stackable with it, or only stackable to a limited degree.

Why have it work this way? Because the system is already in place, and obviously hasn't caused some kind of major disruption to balance in PvM.

-Galen's player

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I absolutely agree that non-medable armor should be made useful once more; although I seriously question the notion that there should be two completely disparate systems for PvM and for PvP; with abilities and benefits that can be used for one, and not for another. I feel that it just deepens the divide between PvM and PvP playstyles, rather than encouraging interaction amongst the two. I may not hold one of the most popular opinions, but I still fall back on the idea that each armor style should have its place (such as plate being better protection against attacks, leather should allow more mobility, and so fourth).

Its not a bad idea, by any means. Its an excellent idea, considering the enviroment right now. I just disagree with the philosophy. It seems like a bandage, rather than truely making heavy armor viable again.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

although I seriously question the notion that there should be two completely disparate systems for PvM and for PvP; with abilities and benefits that can be used for one, and not for another.

There already are.

Swamp Dragon barding damage absorption, and a different SDI cap.

I can't think of any others but I'd be surprised if there weren't a few more at least.

-Galen's player

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
*nods*

I never claimed that there wasn't; merely that I contest the underlying philosophy and the approach. I disagree with the benefits of Swamp Dragons being restricted only to PvM, just as I disagree with the Bushido abilities that have been rendered useless in PvP. Some ability or player-skill found to be effective in PvM-situations shouldn't suddenly vanish because it might give PvPers a distinct advantage in combat; nor should it be nerfed to the detriment of the parallel playstyle.

In fact, I disagree with the whole philosophy of "nerfing" itself; atleast as a means of attaining balance. Rather than destroying a player-class based upon its percieved effectiveness, the developers should first be looking at the other classes and skills and ask themselves: "What is so lacking about this class that players do not use it? How can we improve it so that it can compete with the flavor of the month." In doing so, you are always evolving the classes and not narrowing the creativity of player ingenuity.

So, for instance; rather than restricting the barding absorption of Swamp Dragons to PvM, the developers should be looking at how they can give distinct advantages for each mount-type. Perhaps horses move slightly faster, or create a higher chance to dodge? Perhaps Llama's randomly spit in peoples faces, temporarily stunning them?

As I said, I actually like your idea. I think it would be a great way to bring back platemail. I just don't think that it should be restricted to PvM. The last thing I want to see is Ultima Online go down the road of Warhammer or Warcraft; where you have different suits for PvP and PvM.

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Toe to toe characters need more means for PVM damage absorption.The fact is anyone will take a GD over a meleer simply because its easy to keep healed as the most common team around is a swarm of mages,their resists are wicked and any newbie with a token can easily get one now.Sure you can come up with a uber suit and a overpowered template with proper jewelry and solo Dreadhorn and Melisande,still,you are useless at 99% other content in game.The point is toe to toe is simply a curiosity,something totally unecesary in game,expensive to outfit,which give no real benefits over any other class.Of course someone will come say now Hey my dexer does things my mage cant,aye im the pope of rome.Time has proven nerfing things to fix other is not something that works,solution is not nef tamers,nerf mages,nerf everything,I think its as simple as bring warriors to a up-par level,and this idea you provide is simple great and i think its solution to it all.More DMG mitigation for a class that NEEDS IT FOR BALANCE PURPOSES.Bushido is good,but if someone farts near a monster,say bye to honoring it,and the skill has already been nerfed to oblivion(hello,evade).

And UO has already been doing down the road of WoW,problem is WoW can balance things and UO can not.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
It seems like the simplest way to balance med versus non-med would be to give a minor resist bonus to non-medable pieces.

Think of it this way: Are there really that many pvp templates out there that don't need mana regen in some form? How many players would this change effect, really?

Boy, I'm grumpy today.

~M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: absorption, armor, damage, nonmeddable, pvm