Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Faction Invasions... Who what when where why

- - - - - faction invasions

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Does anyone know what comes next? When will the invasions end? Will the next stage also involve factions? Is UO's goal to have at least one character in each account part of a faction? Can the invasions end where another town is destroyed? Is the next expansion tied into these events in some way or is Stig entirely separate?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Pure speculation, but I think Magincia will be rebuilt(altho perhaps a bit different in appearance), that the invasions themselves will either change or intensify, perhaps the Shadowlords will gain a foothold and Minax will make an appearance and perhaps be finally vanquished. I mean jeez, she either needs to give up and retire or die already.

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
i dont follow the RP like some peeps do and maybe its been said but i wonder if itll open up to Stygian in some way

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I, too, think this is leading up to a Stygian Abyss tie-in. Maybe not directly, but perhaps the stories will mesh...?

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Writer's Block Tools
Star Trek - Q did it(or use time travel)
Star Wars - A Skywalker did it(or he did it in an earlier time)
Babylon 5 - Vorlons did it(or use time travel)
Battlestar Galactica - Cylons did it(or a Cylon and a human had sex and now they work together)
Ultima Online - Minax did it(or use the Time Lord)

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Writer's Block Tools
Star Trek - Q did it(or use time travel)
Star Wars - A Skywalker did it(or he did it in an earlier time)
Babylon 5 - Vorlons did it(or use time travel)
Battlestar Galactica - Cylons did it(or a Cylon and a human had sex and now they work together)
Ultima Online - Minax did it(or use the Time Lord)

Why did Exodus never make an appearance?

Hm?

I'm still waiting to CRUSH that evil-doer.

How dare he corrupt Blackthorn, get into an argument with Blackthorn, and cause him to disappear for years....

...then Blackthorn shows up and....attacks yew?

Come on, people. Blackthorn deserves a better story than to be known as "that thing that dropped all the artifacts when it got super-bombed by Dawn".

Why Exodus [or attempts to bring Mondain/parts of him into the picture] was never clarified, it also left huge holes in the story.

I don't get why Minax/shadowlords/ect could keep coming back but Exodus never showed his face...if he even HAS a face.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I thought Exodus was supposed to be Mondain and Minax's love child? But then I've also read he's a machine, a computer really.

Official Lore always seems to be what the last person who wrote it said it is :)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
In that case, Exodus is a tiny, happy flower!

I concur: Minax is becoming an overused plot element.

~M

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

...then Blackthorn shows up and....attacks yew?

Come on, people. Blackthorn deserves a better story than to be known as "that thing that dropped all the artifacts when it got super-bombed by Dawn".

Agreed.

I was very disappointed with the way in which those developers handled the storyline. Granted, there were several very interesting persona's and exciting new idea's introduced along the way (such as the Meer, the Juka, the Controllers & Savages, so on and so fourth); it seemed as though they would introduce these fresh new ideas on a whim, only to completely drop those storylines with absolutely no explaination to move onto new things.

I mean, come on? Seriously. They turned one of Ultima Online's most pivitol personas into some strange, mechanized villain. Then they send this character on a suicide mission to attack...Yew? Lord Blackthorn is described as one of the most cunning and intellegent characters amongst British's former inner circle. Enraged or not, he would not be stupid enough to bank everything on invading such an inconsequential and strategically unimportant hamlet.

What, did he think he could weaken the Kingdom of Britannia by cutting off their supply of wine?

There remains so many unresolved and untouched storylines from that era. Where is Adranath? Where is Dawn? From where did the Savages emerge? Where is the Empress of Zento? Is Magister_Returns really the secret love child of Lord Kabur and Lady Dasha? We need answers!

Why Exodus [or attempts to bring Mondain/parts of him into the picture] was never clarified, it also left huge holes in the story.

I don't get why Minax/shadowlords/ect could keep coming back but Exodus never showed his face...if he even HAS a face.

I have the same question, personally.

Exodus, based on the information that we currently posess, is probably still out their plotting our ultimate demise and his ascension. We have absolutely no indication as to why he would abandon Lord Blackthorn and Lord Kabur to our blades, but I do have a number of theories/suggestions.

He clearly had the ability to travel through space and time at will; perhaps even across facets and worlds? Although he essentially had the edge against the Kingdom; perhaps he saw his demise resulting from his current course, and decided to make a new plan? Clearly, he was managing to unite the Britannians behind Dawn, rather than weaken them. Along the current course, she might've become Queen. So instead, he left to allow the Britannians to weaken themselves (cases like Magincia), only to return when we won't have the strength to oppose him.

Another possibility is that he saw the impending return of British, and feared that he would be defeated? Or, perhaps he knew that British posessed several shards of the Gem of Immortality. Exodus could have abandoned his hopes of conquest to hunt Lord British through the ether, planning to reunite the shards and complete his fathers destiny.

Or, for all we really know, he could be manipulating these very events to his advantage? The Shadowlords have been trying to enter Sosaria for years, but only now succeeded? Exodus also had this thing for creating/mutating new and dangerous creatures to serve in his armies. Perhaps he is providing the Crimson Dragons?

I thought Exodus was supposed to be Mondain and Minax's love child? But then I've also read he's a machine, a computer really.

He could be considered their love child; but not in the physical manner that the term suggests.

He was essentially their creation. Combining arcane magic and advanced engineering techniques, they began to create the monster now known as Exodus. I think that I remember something about Exodus being power by, or partially built from the Gem of Immortality. Its been awhile.

Nonetheless, Exodus was incomplete when the Stranger slew Mondain. It wasn't until years later that Exodus was functioning enough to come alive. You could say that he is one-third human, one-third android, and one-third demon.

I concur: Minax is becoming an overused plot element.

I somewhat disagree. Granted, she is considered to be the main villain (by virtue of her being the next villain within the storyline following Mondain); she has been almost silent since Ultima Online: Renaissance and Trammel (with the sole exception of one attempted attack on Britannia somewhere around the launch of Samurai Empire).

I want to see more of Minax, Exodus, and others. It would be interesting to see the villains attacking Britannia (and fighting amongst each other for dominance) simultaneously, rather than one villain showing up for the month prior to the next expansion, only to silently be forgotten after.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
With regards to Yew, it is home to the prison and main court of the realm as well as Empath Abbey, home of the Candle of Love, one of the main three Virtue Artifacts.

Given that the other two cities boasting such an artifact of preeminence are Trinsic(huge walled fortress city full of blood-crazed zealots with swords) and Moonglow(remote island city where the most powerful mages in the realm reside en masse, even the Cyloth the Ferryman takes his smoke breaks there), the wimpy tree town with the unarmed monks wearing nothing but robes and swilling wine during all waking hours seemed like an easy target. Hell, even the elves set up shop there.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I can see some purpose behind raiding the prison; but despite his mildly anarchist philosophies, I question if he would merely allow common criminals to go free and unchecked. He might release members of the Chaos Guard, but I don't know that any would've been imprisoned in the first place.

I question what he would've wanted with the Candle of Love, unless he sought to enter the Stygian Abyss all those years ago.

http://ultima.wikia..../Candle_of_Love

Yet, now that I do think of it; I do have one theory. I just remembered that Dawn was from Yew. It still flies in the face of sound strategy, but he might've sought to draw her out by attacking her former home.

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Official Lore always seems to be what the last person who wrote it said it is :)

Did we all forget what a Bettie Minax is? :o
http://www.drabstree...ackNeclace.html

...she could rule my kingdom any day...

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Lycanthropy, that is one fascinating article!

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
The idea of Exodus to me has always been that the Exodus dungeon was Exodus not a creature or thing of a fightable size. Which would make all his underlings that spawn inside the dungeon his immune system. Just a thought but it's no worse then any other I have heard on the subject.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Its a strange idea, but not completely impossible. His mind is essentially some sort of mystical computer program; so I could imagine him being capable of moving from one body to another, or moving from his body inside some sort of network.

The scary implication...what if he could right-click, and copy himself? *Shudder*

In all seriousness though, I am not sure that his body is the Exodus Dungeon. It would be dangerous for him to be some immobile, and he is known to travel through worlds at will. He is also depicted at some shadowy, massive cloaked figure; so for the time being, he atleast has some sort of physical body. The Exodus Dungeon always struck me as some sort of factory, where he is able to create the alien technology that he uses against the Britannians.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Funny - It always struck me as the egotistical musings of Todd McFarlane.

:P

~M
  • Ferenhelm likes this

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Lycanthropy, that is one fascinating article!

Just to make sure I don't steal credit, I didn't write that article :x but glad you enjoyed :)

I've always liked the Mondain/Minax story...

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Yet, now that I do think of it; I do have one theory. I just remembered that Dawn was from Yew. It still flies in the face of sound strategy, but he might've sought to draw her out by attacking her former home.

That would be sound, if he had not encountered Dawn and called out all of the people standing around when he left and took his armies to Yew.

Had his intentions been to simply destroy Dawn, he would have done so on the spot, rather than attack a city to do so.

I wish I still had my screenshots of the entire thing, lost them a good while back. :(

In all seriousness though, I am not sure that his body is the Exodus Dungeon.

If it were, it would make this confusing:
Spoiler

If you consider the fact that the Gem of Immortality was not entirely completed when mondain was in the process of corrupting it, if Exodus was their "Brain Child" or "Love Child" [obviously both Mondain and Minax had huge interest in artifacts with great power, many of which are unlocated, uncharted, and if not found could be used against us at any time, if it hasn't already begun] he or 'it' if you will, could have been granted knowledge of the battle with the Stranger.

If Exodus were to be prepared to prevent a similar fate to his father, it would only make sense that he be not only skilled and powerful in the arcane arts, but have a way to prevent further Strangers [likewise, us] from gaining full power over his minions or his plans.

It would only make sense to have a back-up copy of your power. Ever mess up an exodus dungeon puzzle? You die quickly.

Exodus' minions are present in his...absence...if he's even gone. If he's here, he's waiting for his moment to strike.

Exodus always seemed an opportunist. One bad guy to trick every single other one to get exactly what he wanted to occur.

Before Blackthorn reappeared, and subsequently died, he came back to exodus and was extremely angry. That's all we've got. There's a gap. British and Blackthorn were extremely important characters. They died abruptly, and personally, those two characters could use a better ending.

Not to mention British found a shard of the Gem in Blackthorn's coffin...and pocketed it.

Supposedly he went to 'save us', but ....honestly...this is British we're talking about, in a game that has no end, how can you kill off a key character but leave all of the property behind....

We have an empty throne room, and blackthorn's castle is deserted.

Something needs done. Soon.:(

EDIT: Totally OT, but did you play on Cats ever, Lyc?

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

We have an empty throne room, and blackthorn's castle is deserted.

Something needs done. Soon.

You would think, considering the multitude of very ambitious Britannians amongst us; that someone by now (aside from Blackthorne) would be making some claim for the crown. The Counsel currently rules in Lord British's absense (under the assumption that he still lives and may yet come to claim his crown); but you would think that there would be this constantly evolving storyline. Calls by the peasantry to name Dawn the Queen. Baron Lenshire makes his own claim based on some convuluted genealogy implying a distant bloodlink between himself and King Wolfgang. So on and so fourth.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I say we appoint a Stewert to rule till the King can return. ( oops sorry wrong game :P)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faction, invasions