Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Richard Garriott hall of fame.

- - - - - fame garriott hall richard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Introduction
"We create worlds." Origin Systems?motto sums up what Richard Garriott has done for over 20 years in the gaming industry. As a teen, he published the role-playing game Akalabeth that lead to the 10-title Ultima series for which he is best known. Two key advances the series introduced to the genre were the importance of morals to character development and extensive interactivity. In Ultima IV, your character had to attain the goal of becoming virtuous through the moral choices made during the adventure, instead of killing the most monsters. Ultima VII had a world alive like no other where non-player characters followed schedules and you could bake bread from ingredients just for fun. The Ultima games were always pushing the technological boundaries.

Launched in 1997, the blockbusterUltima Online(UO) brought the graphical massively multiplayer, online RPGs to the mainstream and proved it could be a lucrative business. As the trailblazer, UO also made apparent many of the problems with this type of game. Still considered very bug-laden to this day, UO taught many the effect of Internet "lag" and negative consequences of "exploits" and "grief players." Customer service became a key requirement for a successful MMORPG, both in real-life and within the game through game masters. UO also highlights the social interactions these games foster as it has the most complex player-run economies and political structure of any of the MMORPGs.

Not only does Garriott create worlds, he also lives in them. His alter ego Lord British has ruled Ultima Britannia throughout the series. Lord British also makes appearances at community events for the games, making Garriott a symbol as well as creator. Garriott recently left Origin to form a new company Destination Games that focuses on future MMORPGs, includingTabula Rasa, his clean slate.

more here...

http://news.mmosite....roduction.shtml

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
That article is pretty old. Says LB still appears in UO, TR is in the works and his pics still show hair.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
welp i just found it and hadn't seen it before.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
The hair gave it away before I even read the text ;)

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
He went up to the space station or?

Richard Garriott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the reason why he called himself Lord British. Really sweet.
Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
He just got back from being on the space station like two months ago. Too bad he didnt wait 20 years, he could have spent the same amount for a trip to the moon.

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
To the Tabula Rasa Community,
Last November we launched what we hoped would be a ground breaking sci-fi MMO. In many ways, we think we've achieved that goal. Tabula Rasa has some unique features that make it fun and very different from every other MMO out there. Unfortunately, the fact is that the game hasn't performed as expected. The development team has worked hard to improve the game since launch, but the game never achieved the player population we hoped for.
So it is with regret that we must announce that Tabula Rasa will end live service on February 28, 2009.
Before we end the service, we'll make Tabula Rasa servers free to play starting on January 10, 2009.

Thats from official page,well I saw that coming but not that early still :X

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I guess the economy the way it is was just another nail in the coffin, plus they have to still honor all their sold subscriptions. I wonder what RG will do next. AutoAssault also got shutdown a few months back, it sounded kewl but I never played it since I thought it was a bit pricey just to try. Overall, not a good time for NCSoft. I think the next big thing for MMO's will be for whoever can devise a way for multiple players to work together in like a spaceship. They can work pretty close together already in group combat, but taking it to the next level would be to control something jointly. I think the new Star Trek MMO is gonna take a stab at it, but RG could really shine here, or perhaps innovate and do something totally new, as he has before.

Maybe then he could afford that trip to the moon in 20 years :)

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

He just got back from being on the space station like two months ago. Too bad he didnt wait 20 years, he could have spent the same amount for a trip to the moon.

I wonder if he'd have spent the money if he knew that his new game was going to fail.

-Galen's player

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fame, garriott, hall, richard