Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What would you Like to see in a UO Taming Utility?

- - - - - taming uo utility

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Regarding factoring the resists respectively to their max, instead of doing an average of the resists, as you will give the max resists of each pets and their minimum possible resists. The 65% of the resist count could represent the average position of each resist in regard of it's highest value.

I sent Nexus how I do the calculation for the pet power calculator, and it is basically what you described. For each type of pet, I determine the range of max and min possible resists. Then, the pet's own resists are compared to that range. That way, the range is specific to each creature - because like you said, it wouldn't be appropriate to compare a resist value from a pet with a very small range to a large range of resists.

With weighting, I've got an experimental weighting feature only applied to greater dragons right now on the pet calc (I described it above in a previous post in case Nexus would like to do the same) - instead of straight averaging resists, a pet's highest resists are weighted more heavily in the 65% overall resist weight than the pet's lowest resists, using the thinking that you wouldn't likely choose a pet to fight a monster with high damage in the pet's lowest resists, making those resists less valuable overall. I'd like to extend that idea to skills, at least for pets that have distinguishing skills (like poisoning on a rune beetle).

There's a thread in the Tamer section here for feedback of the new weighting calculation, if you're interested to try it out!

Littleblue

Littleblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I swear, Chessy has the best and brightest players around! *winks*

This program looks excellent! I can definately see myself downloading it and using it quite a bit. The fact that it is a stand alone application makes me happy. I don't like to use too many browser-based programs or applets, especially while playing UO. Too many scripting errors, and also IE seems to start getting rather leaky after having a few windows open.

Looks like you have a great program there. I'm sure it took alot of time and hard work to produce, and I am sure many players will appreciate it! You seem to be a person with a good work ethic and love for UO from reading your posts on different subjects. I am sure those traits will shine through your work on this application. :)

PS. I love the Purple Llama splash screen! I actually had one pop up while EV'ing the Skeletal Liche in Jhelom, giving some damage support to my dread mare. :)
:turtle_by_IRIE666:

Nexus

Nexus

Shard: Chesapeake/Siege

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I swear, Chessy has the best and brightest players around! *winks*

This program looks excellent! I can definately see myself downloading it and using it quite a bit. The fact that it is a stand alone application makes me happy. I don't like to use too many browser-based programs or applets, especially while playing UO. Too many scripting errors, and also IE seems to start getting rather leaky after having a few windows open.

Looks like you have a great program there. I'm sure it took alot of time and hard work to produce, and I am sure many players will appreciate it! You seem to be a person with a good work ethic and love for UO from reading your posts on different subjects. I am sure those traits will shine through your work on this application. :)

PS. I love the Purple Llama splash screen! I actually had one pop up while EV'ing the Skeletal Liche in Jhelom, giving some damage support to my dread mare. :)

Thanks, While it's coming along I'm still having a few issues I can get the base calculation for the Power done but scaling it is being a challenge being new to VB.NET I'm having to figure out the proper way to assign it. Other than that it's mostly inputting the different values for all the creatures and fleshing out the Information section.

Posted Image

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Is it possible for your Pet Power program to automatically record a potential tame's stats? Click the critter and get the numbers?

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Just figured I'd stop by and get a status update: how goes the project?

If any UO devs are lurking this thread: let's allow multiple Animal Lore tabs to be open at once so we can directly compare pets without constantly writing notes!

~M

Nexus

Nexus

Shard: Chesapeake/Siege

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Just figured I'd stop by and get a status update: how goes the project?

If any UO devs are lurking this thread: let's allow multiple Animal Lore tabs to be open at once so we can directly compare pets without constantly writing notes!

~M

It's coming I'm still working on a scaling method for the Power Cal bit. I've got the base calculations done just setting up a comparison scale that will work on a universal basis is the hard part. Most is due to my inexperience in VB.NET but hey that's why I started this to try learning how to use that language. The rest is just inputting the different information on various critters for it to use as base lines.

Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Huzzah! Keep plugging away, Nexus. Hopefully, it will be done by the time I come back to the game in March.

Looking forward to it!

~M

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Is it possible for your Pet Power program to automatically record a potential tame's stats? Click the critter and get the numbers?

I doubt that would be possible, as it would involve intercepting the UO data stream to read the pet's lore information... and that's considered illegal by EA.

(Well, I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but if Nexus wants to keep the program from violating EA's terms of service, it can't be done!) :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taming, uo, utility