Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What would you Like to see in a UO Taming Utility?

- - - - - taming uo utility

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Nexus

Nexus

Shard: Chesapeake/Siege

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I've been working on a Home Grown Program to give me a Quick Reference that combines the functions of all the Better Web Based Calculators and Utilities into one Package that is NOT browser or Browser Based, meaning it's an Application that you Install on your PC that contains the Functions of Utilities that require Internet Access to preform their Tasks. I'm also not a fan of Flash based applications so I'm looking for a cleaner more functional Design.

I've got a Good Start on a Few Things and Wanted to Share and ask for some Feedback on what You'd like to see included so far, bear in mind this is still a work in progress especially since I just started tinkering with VB.NET like 2-3 days ago.

Here's a Screen Shot of the Splash Screen I set up for when it's Loading. This is running in Debug mode you can see the IDE for Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition running the Back ground.

Posted Image

Here's a Picture of what it looks like when it finally Loads up.

Posted Image

So Far only the functions of the Control Chance Calculator and the Pet Taming Requirement Tabs are working.

If you select a Creature from the Drop Down box at the top it automatically enters the Selected creatures information into all the Tabs or will once I get the Pet Quality Calculator set up.

Posted Image

In This Screen Shot I'd entered my Taming and Lore Skill in the Proper Boxes, selected Cu Sidhe and it entered the Taming Difficulty for me. When I hit the Calculate Button it displays my Control Chance my Skill Bonus and the Modifers Used based on my Skills that help determine my Skill Bonus (6 ,14, or 28 depending)

If I was to go to the Pet Taming Requirements Tab it would show me the Required Skill for a Fresh Tame, 1 Time Pre-Tame and a 2 Time Pre-Tame, without having to reselect the creature I'm intersted in.

Right not It's still Kinda rough I'm closing up some Loopholes that allows a person to easily Crash the Program before I finish out the Last Tab and complete the Entries for Tamable Animals (Monsters are Done). Since I know I've still got a bit to go before this is complete I'd like to Hear what folks would like to see added to it.

A Bit more Info on this though I doesn't Communicate gather from or send to the Client any Information. This is strictly a Time saving Device since One could easily switch between the Client window and this to access the Utility without having to go back and forth with a web browser to 2-3 sites. It will require the 3.5 .NET framework to install and run properly but I've already done a build for testing here at home and it's set up to Download and Install the 3.5 Framework from Microsofts site without any further hassle to the end user.

Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
If it's an "all in one" utility, it would be nice to include:

1) The chance to spawn different Cu, Hiyru, etc colors
2) A list of which colors are rare (although that might be a given with number one)

Also - what about chance to tame? And allow a function for factoring in discord...

You did ask!

~M

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

If it's an "all in one" utility, it would be nice to include:

1) The chance to spawn different Cu, Hiyru, etc colors
2) A list of which colors are rare (although that might be a given with number one)

Also - what about chance to tame? And allow a function for factoring in discord...

You did ask!

~M

Of Course I asked that's the kind of info I'm wanting to hear. It would be kinda neat to have a desktop encyclopedia of sorts for Taming with all kinds of random information that's useful to tamers. That's part of the reason I've started on this, well that and I wanted to Educate myself in VB.NET Programming having never done it before.

As far as the Spawn Chances and Colors that shouldn't be too hard to do since the Info has been published by the Devs in the past. Factoring in Discordance would be a bit harder since I'd have to find out how Disco effects it at each skill level, though I could Include Barding Difficulty for Each Creature rather easily.

But Like I said for now I'm going to get the 3 basic functions working then expand on it. I'm hoping to have a Beta Release ready by the end of the week that people can play with and see if they can find ways to Break it. There's a few that I've already cleared out, though some I'm sure still remain I haven't found yet. After I get the basics done I'll seriously look into adding the Spawn Chance and Colors for things like the Cu Sidhe, Lesser Hiryu and Hiryu as well as additional information on all the other spawns in an additional tab, like locations they can be found in and other useful info.

As far as a Chance to Tame, there's already a Tab that gives the Taming Requirements for Creatures, Fresh Tames and 1st Retame and 2nd Retame. Success is based off RNG as much as anything for creatures close to your Skill range so that might be almost impossible to do accurately, for example I can go after Cu Sidhe with 120 Taming and fail 5 times on one and hit the next on the first try.

When I get it ready I'm going to submit it to the Dev Team to try and get a link to it on the FoF since it does not interact with the Client at all it should be Kosher for people to use as far as that is concerned.

Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Sounds like quite a project! Good luck and I look forward to seeing it finished.

~M

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Sounds like quite a project! Good luck and I look forward to seeing it finished.

~M

Surprisingly to me it's not being that difficult. I've played around with a few of the C based languages for the past 3 years as a hobby and decided to try something different. I like the syntax VB uses it's making it a lot easier to work with.

Posted Image

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Could you include the resists and stat ranges for each creature as well? That would be useful in deciding which critter was worth taming.
Posted Image

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'm adding a Creature Information Tab to the Utility. When you use the drop down box it will load information on the creature to it.

Already plan to include location, colors it spawns in (if applicable) and I can include ranges on resists and stats too that's not a biggie :P Using that in combination with the pet quality calculator should work out pretty well for people looking for better pets.

Posted Image

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
put the "Copyright © 2008 United Tamers of Britannia" on one line :P

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Nice idea.

I'm most interested in the Pet Quality Calculator. My wish list:

Click prospective new pet. Its ideal stats and resists are displayed in a column on the left and the prospective new pet's stats and resists are displayed in a column on the right. Between the 2 columns should be color bars with numbers. The color and the number should be coded to represent how close the pet is to the ideal stat and resist. For example: if the pet is within 2% of max STR, the bar would be bright green with number "1" embedded in the bar. Very visual.

Can you have this finished by the weekend?

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Love the purple llama!

I'd be glad to share the calculations used to determine the star rating for pets on the Pet Power Calculator. (I offer because the formula was derived after months of conversations both here and in the Tamer forum on Stratics, and many legendary tamers had input into the various weights and balances). In general, these are the weights I use but I'd be glad to share the actual math. How the Pet Power Calc works is explained in more detail in the "Notes" section at the bottom of the page as well: This calculator weights resists as 65% of the score, hit points as 25% of the score, and stats as 5% of the score. When skills are included, they make up 5% of the score.
http://www.uocraft.c...wer-calculator/

If you're doing your own calculation, my suggestion would be to make it "known" to people so they know how their pets' stats and resists are being weighted.

I tend to avoid standalone apps as a general rule only because so many nefarious people out there spread viruses with them, but if I know it's coming from a trusted source, I will use it. So, for people like me, you might consider offering your file for download via a site like CNet's http://www.download.com/ - which scans files for spyware/viruses. If I don't know the author of a program, the next level of "trust" I have is when I'm getting the file from a reputable source like CNet.

Does anybody use that application called "UO Utility"?
http://www.guain.it/...ity/titolo.html

It too is a standalone app that incorporates a TON of different calculators, including non-taming ones - click on Functions and you'll see all of the non-taming ones listed. I forgot about it until just now. I tried it months ago - looks like it was last updated at the end of April this year. Not sure how good it is but I was impressed for what little I used it. It might be worth checking out to see what your "competition" is doing in the stand-alone UO app arena.

Good luck! PM if you'd like the info on the Pet Power Calc math. :)

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Oh 2 more things - stuff I've had people request from the Pet Power Calc, but I don't have time to add right now:

1. The option to toggle whether you're checking the pre- or post- tame resist and skill numbers of a creature. Some people like to lore them pre-tame to decide which ones are worth taming, whereas others will tame the creature and THEN lore it to see if it is worth keeping or if it should be killed off. The Pet Power Calculator only handles post-tame numbers (which are decreased upon taming compared to pre-tame resists/etc).

2. An option to allow players to set a specific weight for various resists on each creature type. For example, the Pet Power Calc does a straight average of all 5 resists and then weights that average at 65% of the overall score. Therefore, all 5 resists are weighted equally. But, for a creature that has a very high max possible value in a particular resist, but very low max possible for another resist, theoretically it would be best to have the highest score in that high resist, and negate the low resist as that value will not matter anyway (ie. the player would choose that particular type of pet in a situation when fighting against a creature strong in the damage type that the pet has high resist against).

Let's use a greater dragon for example. Its max Phys and Fire resists are 85 and 90, respectively, and its max cold resist is 55. Chances are, you would not choose this pet to fight a monster that does primarily cold damage, as the gdrag has very low cold resist. (OK, let's pretend the gdrag isn't a complete TANK due to its HP and pretend it's just a normal pet!)

So, when rating the greater dragon on a calculator, using the logic that you don't really care about the cold resist value since it's so low compared to the gdrag's other resists, maybe the resist portion of the score should be further divvied up - instead of doing a straight average of the 5 resists, maybe phys and fire get factored in at 35% each, then energy 15%, poison 10%, and cold 5%. Weight the RESIST score, and then factor that WEIGHTED average into the overall pet power score (where it will then make of 65% of the overall score).

#2 in particular is something I'd like to add to the web based Pet Power Calc, but the Christmas holiday is the first opportunity I'll have to touch it.

Hope this helps! :)

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Nice idea.

I'm most interested in the Pet Quality Calculator. My wish list:

Click prospective new pet. Its ideal stats and resists are displayed in a column on the left and the prospective new pet's stats and resists are displayed in a column on the right. Between the 2 columns should be color bars with numbers. The color and the number should be coded to represent how close the pet is to the ideal stat and resist. For example: if the pet is within 2% of max STR, the bar would be bright green with number "1" embedded in the bar. Very visual.

Can you have this finished by the weekend?

It probably won't be done by next weekend but I will have a Beta Release out that is incomplete for people to play with soon. (Like the Next day or Two)

Right Now the Quality Calculator is being set up so that when you select a creature it will display the Max Resists and Stats for it on one side of the page and on the other is the entry Boxes for you to enter the one's from your Creature. The Calculate Button on that page will do the comparison and spit out the overall rating as a %

It's not ment to replace the Pet Power Calculator at all it's ment to be an on the fly quick way to determine if a creature you want to tame looks like it might be a good Prospect faster than going through a web browser.

Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
*raises hand in favor of a pet quality function*

You know, if the devs truly loved us, they would add that functionality to the Animal Lore skill. Something like:

1) An additional line to the creature information gump that says, "This creature is fairly weak/average/above average/strong among it's kind"
or

2) A system message that says something similar

That is all.

~M

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

You know, if the devs truly loved us, they would add that functionality to the Animal Lore skill. Something like:

1) An additional line to the creature information gump that says, "This creature is fairly weak/average/above average/strong among it's kind"
or

2) A system message that says something similar

That is all.

~M

Yea but if they did put in so much of the features of 3rd party programs and what not then there would not be a place for people like me and other that have built and are working on utilities, web based calculators, ect. to continue working on them :P. I'm not saying it would not be nice but, I'm enjoying using UO as an excuse to learn a new programming language. To be honest my skills at C# are feeble at most I don't think I could have what I have now with this utility in 3x the amount of time if I was using it.

Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

You know, if the devs truly loved us, they would add that functionality to the Animal Lore skill.

~M

The BB_Enhanced skin for KR has a feature that I love. You can type in the range of resists, stats, and HP that you want your pet to have, then when you lore the pet, it will highlight those fields in the Animal Lore gump if they exceed the minimums that you put.

I can instantly see which pets are worth keeping.

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

The BB_Enhanced skin for KR has a feature that I love. You can type in the range of resists, stats, and HP that you want your pet to have, then when you lore the pet, it will highlight those fields in the Animal Lore gump if they exceed the minimums that you put.

I can instantly see which pets are worth keeping.

That is neat...too bad I hate doing anything but crafting in KR :P

Thanks for sending me a PM with calculations used on the Pet Power Calculator it will help out a lot in getting this thing finished. I'll probably have a Beta version out by Sunday if everything goes well. I've got the majority of the info on Tamable Monsters already I'll release it with just that and then go back and add the Tamable Animals for a second release. Right now it's going to be a matter of putting in the calculations for the Quality Calculator and finishing up the Creature Information for what I've already added. After that everything will be easy since I'll have a template I can just add to over time.

Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Cool, looking forward to it! :)

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Maybe also since it is a all in one put what to train them on.

Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Maybe also since it is a all in one put what to train them on.

I've also been considering doing that using a Taming Guide I replied to your PM so hopefully that will help get it on the way..

Posted Image

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
Regarding factoring the resists respectively to their max, instead of doing an average of the resists, as you will give the max resists of each pets and their minimum possible resists. The 65% of the resist count could represent the average position of each resist in regard of it's highest value.

Also, when a resist has a smaller range (45-55) it should weight less than a resist which has a large range (65-85). You can also make an average of all max resists and factor it in by decreasing the weight of the resists which are lower than the average and increasing those which are higher. For example, if a pet has a max fire of 85 and max cold of 45, if the average of all resists is 55, cold weight will be lesser than fire weight.

Well, damn... I am a stat junkie =)
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taming, uo, utility