Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do you enjoy the desolate look in Felucca?

- - - - - desolate enjoy felucca

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
I'm not really that fond of it, myself. I don't have a problem with the skulls and gravestones and what not, but for a place that is rich in natural resources (double resources), why does it look so desolate? Wasn't there a means of disabling a desolate Fel? If so, how do you do it?

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You can turn it off client side (UO2D) by opening the UO.cfg file, find this line

Desolation=on
And change to "Desolation=off"
At least, that "should" work, heh

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Honestly, I have always wished that the developers would add a more personal flair to the landscape of Felucca; rather than allowing it to remain as this ruined and lifeless landscape parallel to the ever-spring of Trammel. Rather than painting the entire facet with one large brushstroke, different areas could use a little more depth and detail. Some sections of Felucca should look stunningly beautiful, while others should look as if they were just hit by a tornado...or the Armageddon.

Felucca should naturally be the most dark and desolate of the two rulesets (corresponding to years of corrupting influences and intense bloodshed), but it can contain variations based on the area. In some areas, the trees might still have red or yellow leaves (such as the couple seen south of Britain); while in other areas, only a few leaves are left clinging to rotten "widowmakers." The nothern reaches of the Deep Forest (Yew) and Windemere (Minoc) could be colder than normal, with patches of snow blanketing the ground. Areas far more prone to battle (such as the outskirts of the various faction strongholds) might have the burnt out husks of trees, and occasional falling embers that set others aflame. Broken barricades and discarded weapons could litter the ground. Reloadable cannons might be located at various spots (only to be destroyed and respawn at another locale). The ground should be trampled and far more devoid of grass; puddles of blood and mud should be far more common (along with footprints for a couple tiles following your character walking through one). Buccaneers Den and Sanctuary should be far more prominent in Felucca (perhaps even nonexistant or far more lowkey in Trammel), and the towns visual tiles and NPC's could change drastically based on the controlling faction.

This is coming from a guy who still lives in one of those old player-run towns within Felucca. It would be neat if it didn't look completely dead. *Chuckles*

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
I think there should be special quests in Felucca as well. Would be pretty cool. Remember the days when you could put a bounty on the PK's if you were killed then chop off their head give it to a guard and claim the bounty...
Posted Image

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I vote for physics modeling and destroyable landscape!

The gate environs would be post-apocalyptic craters. Every where else would be pristine :)

~M

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

I think there should be special quests in Felucca as well. Would be pretty cool. Remember the days when you could put a bounty on the PK's if you were killed then chop off their head give it to a guard and claim the bounty...

Agreed. Its long past time that the Dark World became a facet of its very own, rather than merely recieving the leftovers from Trammel.

Gyvalor

Gyvalor

collecter of death robes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
The bounty system was a neat idea, however a lot of reds took advantage of the system by allowing friends to lop off thier heads and split the bounty.

Now if you gave perminant skill/stat loss to any red who died and bounty was collect upon thier heads then you might have something.

As much as Reds complain that the Trammies don't have anything to loose, I beleive the reds are the ones that don't loose. If you choose the life of evil and you die by the sword of justice then you ought to suffer some kind of penalty. This may be stat/skill loss that must be worked back up or even not being able to rezzed until server up.
Posted Image

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Gyvalor, while I can certainly agree that there needs to be a number of both significant and steep consequences for player murders within the confines of Felucca (along with an equal number of both lucrative and rewarding benefits for those who bring them to justice); I am wary of this notion that we should be "punishing the red." Such consequences should never be so steep that they become potentially game-breaking for the wider Feluccian population. In otherwards, it would be a shame to render the Dark World as another Realm vs. Realm landscape. Afterall, being a Red remains a legitament playstyle almost completely unique to Ultima; however annoying we may percieve their actions to be. Suddenly watching your legendary skill drop a percentile based on a lag spike or the simple luck of the draw would be a tad bit extreme, wouldn't you say?

I think that Felucca is long past due for an overhaul; including the creation of a far more robust, exciting, and immersive Justice System. The current system as we know it, hasn't seen any significant retooling since its induction several years past; while the game itself has certainly seen its fair share of groundbreaking changes. Instead of the system that we have how, where being red is just a badge of pride for a select group of raiders; there should be new consequences and new benefits to being a red player (and by that token, as many for killing one). Because reds live on the outside of the law, being a bridgand can be a lucrative but rewarding career. Unless associated with a faction, the factions themselves should largely want to see your head on a pike (since you threaten their social order that each faction largely seeks to impose upon Old Britannia). Justice Seekers and Bounty Hunters want to rid the land of your malice (perhaps create a point system based on your kills, similar to the ones we have now in factions). The whole of Britannia seeks to turn against you (rather than just within the confines of town, there should be a number of wandering NPC's, especially along the roadways, that automatically target playerkillers). On the flipside, Bucanneers Den should be a much more interesting and interactive town of absolute lawlessness and depravity.

I do not know what the exact solution would be (I am not a PvPer), but I do have an appreciation for the playstyle and would rather see it flourish (such open PvP is largely unique to Ultima Online). It should be made to be interesting and desirable to participate on (both red and blue); not something to be abolished or abused by the playerbase.

[Edit]: I was just reading through what I just mentioned, and a few more ideas came to mind.

What if the Faction Sherrifs could individually blacklist certain individuals (red and blue) within certain towns they conquer; and set up bounties for reds that they percieve as enemies (or assassination contracts)? What if the reds, living outside the law; could effectively work for certain factions for hire, or perhaps even sabotage different factions when they see fit? Granted, they wouldn't have access to some of the same benefits as you would have participating in a faction; if that dirty Commanding Lord bit his thumb at your Guild Master, have your alchemist blow a hole in the back of his fortress and let the battle begin!

I could even think of more ideas, should "Player Run Villages" be implemented and more elements of faction warfare were extended to the Trammel rulesets.

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

I'm not really that fond of it, myself. I don't have a problem with the skulls and gravestones and what not, but for a place that is rich in natural resources (double resources), why does it look so desolate? Wasn't there a means of disabling a desolate Fel? If so, how do you do it?

I don't mean to sound like a Stratics guy, here, but maybe bring a purple bunny with you to spruce it up? :/

Desolation = danger = warning to noobs! ;P

Think about it like Planet of the Apes. Sort of. They see a plant. They're like, omg, a plant. Where there's one...and then...!...a lush Eden in the state of nature, where primitive humans run around and...get captured by apes.

Well, the point is, Fel is not some lush garden. Yeah. And um, so there.

:)

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

The bounty system was a neat idea, however a lot of reds took advantage of the system by allowing friends to lop off thier heads and split the bounty.

Now if you gave perminant skill/stat loss to any red who died and bounty was collect upon thier heads then you might have something.

As much as Reds complain that the Trammies don't have anything to loose, I beleive the reds are the ones that don't loose. If you choose the life of evil and you die by the sword of justice then you ought to suffer some kind of penalty. This may be stat/skill loss that must be worked back up or even not being able to rezzed until server up.

Wait, you mean the reds don't suffer permanent stat loss if killed? I haven't been red for a very long time and that was the rule when I was red, lost almost 10 full points of skills because of that. part of the respect I had for the reds is that possability hanging over there heads. Why did they ever change that?

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
In this day and age, you can no longer just run to the skeletal/bone knight spawn and get back to Grandmaster in an hour. We have GGS as opposed to Powerhour, and to be compedative you must be legendary. The gap between elder and legendary is much wider than it was between Master and Grandmaster.

You'd have to be a glutton for misery and grinding to put up with that kind of loss. One death, and its back to weeks of grinding for you.

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
so in other words the reds in fel are subject to skill/stat loss on every kill?

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Nope. As far as I am aware, permanent skill/stat loss was removed years ago.

I was just explaining why such heavy consequences would be absolutely unreal under the current system.

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
so red is not the end of the world like it used to be. So there are no real consequences for your actions anymore. at least with the old reds you had to pay with isolation and the fear that you could get jumped for your head at any minute not to mention the stat loss.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Hm, you say that there are no consequences? I wouldn't go quite that far, DAFT1.

Why? Well for one, you are prevented from accessing the lands of Trammel; which means that eventually you are going to miss out on some of the new event and scenario content that you would otherwise have access to. I would consider that a consequence. Perhaps its not so painful now; but I have a feeling that it will become increasingly so as the event moderator program gets underway. Also; although this may be permanently changing with the faction system revival, you used to be restricted from accessing the towns themselves (unless you are willing to run the risk of being whacked). The characters that we percieve as "living outside the law" are expelled from society (Trammel) and are hunted for their crimes; but in fantasy and in reality, people do not become the villain because they want all the disadvantages. They become the villain because its the quicker way to power; the quicker way to the fame and fortune that they so desire. The difference between ones hard work and brigandry is the speed in which you are willing to go, and the ethics that you are willing to sacrifice, to attain your fame and fortune.

In regards to consequence, I certainly understand where you're coming from; but on the other hand, there was a reason such a stiff penalty was removed from the game. As mentioned before, this is not the same Ultima Online where you could win fights with 90 skill; and naked for that matter! You have to have legendary skills; and should you loose a whole ten points, you'd be out of commision for a month.

I understand the need for player justice, but at the same time these red players fufill a role in the Feluccan landscape. Champion spawns are difficult, but the constant fear of attack adds an added depth that scripted monsters just cannot provide. The red players fufill the role of the Highwaymen; robbing from the wealthy caravans and wayward merchants, only to return to their dens and waste their newfound wealth on beer and women. I would love to see this role expanded upon, rather than destroyed. The ultimate boon of a naval expansion would be piracy on the high seas! Har Har!

I am absolutely for consequences for being a "criminal"; but not ones that prevent your "class" from being playable.

Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

This I agree with -- It kept the player killers down and you could actually walk around Fel with out getting jumped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desolate, enjoy, felucca