Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Pasting from Word into blue books?

- - - - - blue books pasting word

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Hail!

OK, so I know you can copy-paste content from Windows (such as in Word) into blue books that you buy from NPC provisioners in-game.

BUT - I'm having trouble with it only pasting a certain portion of the content, or long sentences get messed up and leave out some portions.

I vaguely recall there being some specific font you could use in Windows to make the pasting process work better in UO.

Does anybody know what the trick is?

I'm making a library (inspired by a guild mate of mine!) and want to add some of my own books.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My first thought would be to use Notepad instead of Word/Wordpad
Or, try using the system font perhaps
I remember using notepad to do as you described and it worked ok..although, that was a few years ago now :P

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Didn't try that - will do! and will report back hehe!

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
Adam's suggestion was mine as well. Your too fast Mr. Brit! When I get home, I'll see what font my comp is on, I've never had a problem cutting and pasting the books, so maybe that will help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Also if your documents are copied with "word wrap' format it will take up more spaces .... if i have a long document (use both wordpad and notebook) I just break it down into 'sections' (no word wrapping) when copying so it fits better when pasting ... and less 'cleanup' ...

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
That worked much better - I've discovered there's also a problem with KR not flipping pages automatically when pasting like 2D does, but when I pasted in 2D from Notepad instead of Word, at least it didn't mangle my sentences. It looks like it can only paste 6 pages of UO book content at a time.

Thanks!

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Yep KR isn't as inscription friendly as 2d :(

I thought it was around 6/7 pages that will 'type' at a time ... so if ya know where to cut off your copying (paragraphing) it will be easier on your nerves :)

also blue books and red books have different amount of pages so for long documents you might want to use the blue ones ....

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
There's a utility that used to be offered in the UO Stratics Resource section, but I can't access that link anymore. Fortunately, I archived it on our guild website.

http://twilightfello...OTextReader.zip

The Text Reader can be used for speeches in-game as well and was often used for things like wedding ceremonies, but it is also great for copying text documents into books. In Text Reader you choose the file you want to copy and set the character delay to 0 for the fastest copying rate. Then switch back to UO, open the blank book and set the cursor to the first page, then switch back to UO Text Reader and hit the play button. You just have to be sure to let it finish in UO before you do anything else. Clicking elsewhere in-game will send the text to your speech rather than to the book itself.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Sweet thanks, I'll try this!

Matthew

Matthew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I've found another program works as well, called UO Wedding, which will put text into books no matter how long the text file is, the only limit is the number of pages in the UO book.
However, I have found that copying a "return" from a text file to a book the program has some difficulty with, so you will have to play with that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Yep KR isn't as inscription friendly as 2d :(

I thought it was around 6/7 pages that will 'type' at a time ... so if ya know where to cut off your copying (paragraphing) it will be easier on your nerves :)

also blue books and red books have different amount of pages so for long documents you might want to use the blue ones ....

There are actually 3 kinds of books. The standard small red one, the standard medium-sized blue one... and a blood red one that looks like the blue one. These are EXTREMELY hard to get, but look very cool as they are not common.

To get one, you must undertake an excruciatingly difficult quest - go to New Haven with 5 recall scrolls and talk to Lyle the Mage, near the docks. Mark your recall scrolls as a quest item and talk to him again. *whew* That was a TOUGHIE! =) You can get as many as you want, I think.

I am not sure how many pages are in that book, but I THINK it is the same as the blue book. If nothing else, it may be more color-coordinated with your deco. :)

Unless you knew that already, in which I am now commencing the shutting of up.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
I did not know that Maeglid! Do you have to be a newb character to do it?

/edit sweet! don't need to be a newb - just did the quest with my elder mage/gm scribe hehe. You get a "book bound in red leather" according to Lyle. Awesome!

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

I did not know that Maeglid! Do you have to be a newb character to do it?

/edit sweet! don't need to be a newb - just did the quest with my elder mage/gm scribe hehe. You get a "book bound in red leather" according to Lyle. Awesome!

Nice to be able TO help for once, rather than being on the receiving end of the assistance, hehehe. If you were on Cats I'd fork over some red leaves to seal the text in. I need to grow a new crop again...

\seed saver

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
and here i thought the blue books were purple. i must be slightly color blind or something.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
hehe i think they are more purple in 2D and more blue in KR :P (i'm on KR)

Lady Hester Tarian

Lady Hester Tarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
The red books can be acquired by anyone. No young status is required. There is one limitation...you have to wait 5 minutes between the quests if you continue on the same character. If you're in a hurry though, make sure everyone has the 5 scrolls and line them up in the Gentle Rest Inn. Each awakes, visits Lyle, gets their book and returns to the Inn to wake the next person. Viola, 6 or 7 books in very little time or effort.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Interesting! I thought I had all the newbie Haven items already!

Thanks.

~M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, books, pasting, word