Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

11th anvi items

- - - - - 11th anvi items

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Again a player Tasatail asks

Hi i seen some people selling 11th anvi items where do i get them from as i tried most shards and dont seem to have reward to pick so is this another way uo is going get money from us ?

~~~~

DHMagicMan_1 answered
They are only available in EA Japan so far... God knows why EA US doesn't want to sell them to us yet... We have to wait for the middle of December but then, yes, we we'll be buying codes to get the items... they haven't given details as to costs or anything yet.

~~~~

while Frarc directed Tasatail here

~~~~

Tasatail

ok thanks for the info was hoping was going be a free gift uo already gets enough money out me hehe

~~~~
In reply to DHMagicMan_1 ,Lord Kynd posted this response.

yah and it isn't like UO was born over there WTF ??? why do we get shafted when they get everything ?

~~~~

Aboo agreed

My thoughts exactly. It would be terribly nice if someone from EA actually took the time to explain to us why this was done. At least if they had a good explanation it might not make us feel so much like the step children.Posted Image

~~~~

While Dunarrack wants to know why the wait?

Why mid-December? Why cant we have them NOW. I mean the items and the codes are already produced on the system. Especially when you can transfer these items from a Japanese shard over to an US shard with no problem, what's the reason we have to wait? Ultima Online was made in USA right? or was I mistaken? UO is actually a Japanese game translated in English dand ported to US seems more logical.

~~~~

Evilminion agreed

It does seem rather weird, to be honest. It shouldn't matter what country you're in; you should be able to order the same items.

A question for those who have seen the 11th anniversary collection items: what does your purchase price get you? A single item? A set of items? Or a set of tokens, each of which can be used for any of the items?

Inquiring minds want to know!

~~~~

DHMagicMan_1 wants more info too.
Aparently EA Games in Japan actually produces BOXES for UO that appear on Store Shelves so this 11th Anniversary Collection is part of what you get if you buy the box in a Japanese store.

In the US, EA Games can't be bothered to sell BOXES for UO and if they did, they believe stores wouldn't stock them anyway.

I still don't see why we can't get access to codes from the EA Codes site at the same time Japanese users get access to the boxes though, it's not like it costs EA much to put anything up on their website... (not like they ever put up the 9th Anniversary Code that you need for certain housing tiles though)...

The very least they could do is give us more details on how they will be available... will we purchase a set that will have one of each gift or will we purchase x number of tokens and each token will be good for a choice of one of the Anniversary items...

Give us the DETAILS please!

~~~~

In response to

Originally Posted by Aboo Posted Image
My thoughts exactly. It would be terribly nice if someone from EA actually took the time to explain to us why this was done. At least if they had a good explanation it might not make us feel so much like the step children.Posted Image

came this reply

Wow, well, first, I think the explanation *has* been given, both by Jeremy and Kilandra.

EA Japan is releasing their own SKU with these items as part of a promotion, and once they've finished their initial run they'll be available here as well. Releasing codes online at the same time would completely conflict with their promotion, but we have made sure we'll have them too.

These items aren't replacements for Veteran Rewards, or anything else commemorating the 11th Anniversary of UO. We still have quite a bit of the 11th Anniversary year to celebrate
Posted Image

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer - Ultima Online - EA Mythic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aboo's response was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconi_EA Posted Image
. . .EA Japan is releasing their own SKU with these items as part of a promotion, and once they've finished their initial run they'll be available here as well. Releasing codes online at the same time would completely conflict with their promotion, but we have made sure we'll have them too.

While I thank you very much for responding, I guess my post didn't quite translate as I intended it to. Now if this has been explained before let me apologize in advance because I have not seen it. Why is it that "EA Japan is releasing their own SKU with these items as part of a promotion" and EA (insert what should be here for the rest of us) isn't? Why is it that the rest of us get it AFTER their promotion? "Releasing codes online at the same time would completely conflict with their promotion" - why do they have a promotion and we don't? I hope I have worded my questions to reflect what I am really asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconi_EA Posted Image
These items aren't replacements for Veteran Rewards, or anything else commemorating the 11th Anniversary of UO. We still have quite a bit of the 11th Anniversary year to celebrate Posted Image

Again, thank you for responding. Of course it's just another teaser but it does give us something to look forward to.

~~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
The reason was given.. and the reason is thus.

The Japan Shards still have 100% Staffed VOLUNTEERS, they have GMS, Counsilers.. and EMs. they created, made and produced the 11th anniversary items.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Should also point out Japan also has a different set of laws and legal system, theyre not so litigation-happy as over here. To this day I'm bummed at what UO could have been like if people didn't see the Counselor and Seer programs as a lawsuit oppotunity so many years ago.

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

The reason was given.. and the reason is thus.

The Japan Shards still have 100% Staffed VOLUNTEERS, they have GMS, Counsilers.. and EMs. they created, made and produced the 11th anniversary items.

Ahhhhhhhh, that makes me understand. Japan made it, they get it first. That's fair.

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
But without the ability to make anything ourselves, we will never get the opportunity to be first in a game that is based here? Sorry, I still don't see the reasoning or the logic...

If you work for a company based in the US, and live in Ireland, for instance, any ideas for streamlining production or boosting the bottom line become property of the company. The company can then do with that information as they please, at whatever plant they deem it necessary. A stipend is paid, and the "intellectual property" becomes theirs. I know this because my father worked for one such company, and came up with several ways to reduce overhead. He was paid a pittance, and watched his ideas make the company millions.

Now, I am not saying the industries are the same, or even remotely similar, but if someone on EA staff, regardless of whether they are paid or volunteer, creates something in-game or for-the-game, it should benefit all of us equally.

Let's flip the coin. If our Devs design something here, does Japan get it released two months after it hits the US? Say, for instance, the current invasion. Is Japan still waiting for it to start? Are they wringing their hands in anticipation? How about the halloween content? Could I transfer a character to a Japanese shard with his pack full of webs and gossamer and new Magincia rubble, and find myself swarmed by anxious players, waiting to get their first glimpse of the "new stuff"? I would venture to say "no". They pay their subscription price, and get the same developer content as we do, at the same time we get it. PLUS, they get their own stuff first. *scratches head*

Perhaps this is the rambling of a tired mind, I don't know. Just seems our subscriptions are not as important as the Japanese subscriptions, in my humble opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
I (respectfully) disagree. If this allows a main development team to focus on SA & bug fixes, then more power to 'em. A 30 day difference in arrival time is not a huge inequity, unless there is some sort of PvP Uber weapon or armor involved.

Seeing as how we are ALL paying for content/patches, those we all get in a timely manner. Since these new items are purchased by individuals and not by subscriptions then it isn't AS big a deal tome. Kinda annoying, yeah... but worth it if it means development of those things.

Now, if it were subscription-paid uneven roll-outs, then I have an issue.

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Oops, double post. That'll teach me to flip between apps.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Another reason EA Japan players are getting them 30 days earlier... they are paying extra for them. The rest of us are getting them for free.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Another reason EA Japan players are getting them 30 days earlier... they are paying extra for them. The rest of us are getting them for free.

I'm sorry but that's not true - unfortunalety. The difference is, that Japan gets a box in the shops, and if you buy said box, you get the items as a bonus. Everyone else, we along with the non-box-buying japanese will have pay $$ to get them from uogamecodes.com.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I coulda swore Jeremy mentioned we'd all get one for free.

Also, having played on a Japanese shard for a few years in the past, the focus and gameplay there is a bit different than on American shards. They are very much more into deco and socializing, altho I wouldnt quite call it RP. I also invite everyone to consider how EA makes a big to-do about Western holidays(Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) while all but ignoring Asian ones. One of the things the Seer staff does over there is commemorate holidays such as Hanamatsuri, Chinese New Year, etc.

Lastly, this is small peanuts, a few minorly useful items, I can't believe the indignant outrage I'm seeing over this(esp that "other" forum on that other website), it's not like they released UO:SA there two months before the rest of the world and all the housespots in the new Luna are getting snapped up.

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Did anyone maybe stop to think that maybe coding is different too? Is Coding done in Their language and needs to be translated and implamented?

It was also mentioned that the 11th anniversary items were a part of a promotion, What that means is that, they have boxes to put in the stores.. they promote promote promote.. IN STORES.. NOT Online.. So those guys have 30 days to run out and get their special anniversary box! After 30 days it comes out online where everybody and their brother can buy it. So now you have advertising and marketing.. Su Chang goes out and buys his box.. get's his special rewards.. Sweet! His buddy Ling comes by.. Hey where did you get that! In the store.. Ling logs off and runs to the store to buy it.

America on the other hand is instant gratification.. We need everything and NOW! live 50 miles out of town and don't want to waste your $50 in gas to go and buy a box? NP.. Buy it at Amazon. DING.. there is your reward.. thank you.

I don't know much about the Japanese Economy.. but it seems to me that maybe there is not as much shopping done online as there is in the stores.. Since UO is still in stores over there.

I don't know about you guys, but here.. the malls are desolate.. Many stores are closing because there are simply no customers in them.
I can walk into the mall on any given day and see no one in it but the joggers in the morning. With the recent Gas costs. (Going down now.. $1.99 here) The cost of shipping from a store was balanced by the cost of driving your huge SUV to the store for a pair of shoes.

Which answer the question why UO wasn't in stores.. Because they were not moving off the shelves.. Why when you can buy it online, DL it instantly and get to playing in less time it takes to go to the store, browse the shelves, drive home, un wrap it, so on and so on.

Not to mention the wasted time if NONE of the video game stores in your town has it.. So drive to the next town.. Now what if that next town is 50 miles away? Are you going to drive 50 miles to the next town to buy a $20 game?

Sorry I am rambling.. I will stop now..

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Code is code, it is it's own language, I think UO server code is mostly C++/C# these days, some scripting(likely perl and python) thrown in on the side. However, the "localization updates" you often see made to the client are where the display names are shown in each player's language(Japanese, English, etc.) for items and stored messages.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
So - what was the verdict? Somewhere in this thread, someone suggested we all get one free...I doubt it, but I'd hate to miss it if it requires me logging in.

I'll have to convince the spouse to log my accounts in while I'm eating sand.

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Perhaps it won't be free, just not sure, maybe it will be like the "Spring Cleaning Collection" the Japanese-side of the team released a few years ago. If it's similar in that you pay a price and get one of each token/deed, then I'd likely trade away some items for others. I don't have a tamer so a hitching post isnt much use for me, altho the bookcase is pretty sweet(altho I don't know why ALL bookcases don't already do this).

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I have two tamers, and I still probably wouldn't use a hitching post. It's not terribly inconvenient to recall to Luna stable, after all.

~M

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I coulda swore Jeremy mentioned we'd all get one for free.

So - what was the verdict? Somewhere in this thread, someone suggested we all get one free...
~M

When Jeremy posted news of these items with pics ,this was what she wrote.

Posted Image
11th Year Collection Jeremy Dalberg 30 Oct 2008 10:48:49 EST

"Greetings!
As you all may be aware, our friends in Japan will be putting out their yearly Ultima Online box to the shelves on November 13th. To promote these boxes, included in each, will be a package of special in-game items that we have named the 11th year collection.

this was then posted

Since we are sure that some of you would like to also take part in owning this awesome collection of goodies, we will be making this package available on the game codes store for purchase in mid-December.

Kilandra and Mesanna"

So sorry guys,no cigar atm. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Wait - no! I liked the "we're getting one free" rumor better!

How can I apply grass-roots pressure on EA if you're going to debunk me?

*grumbles* Liberal moderator bias!

:)

~M

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Also...

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to make a clarification that the 11th year anniversary items are in no way related to the 11th year collection items. They are very different things :)

Thank you all for the feedback!

~Kilandra~

And more recently...

Wow, well, first, I think the explanation *has* been given, both by Jeremy and Kilandra.

EA Japan is releasing their own SKU with these items as part of a promotion, and once they've finished their initial run they'll be available here as well. Releasing codes online at the same time would completely conflict with their promotion, but we have made sure we'll have them too.

These items aren't replacements for Veteran Rewards, or anything else commemorating the 11th Anniversary of UO. We still have quite a bit of the 11th Anniversary year to celebrate :)

From those posts, I predict that something else is coming.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Concur. I predict cake. I might even cash in my IOU.

~M

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
I would like a cake. I love cake although sometimes my character moans his teeth hurt so much. Too many ginger bread men I guess.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 11th, anvi, items