Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Thief Skills

- - - - - skills thief

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Winu

Winu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there, can anyone please tell me how much should i raise these skills for a theif? (i never had a thief before)

Focus
Hiding
Lockpicking
Remove Trap
Snooping
Stealing
Stealth

I dont think they all need to be 100.
Is Remove Trap useful? Also is focus useful to a thief and how much should i raise the skill? if not fully what other skill should i give the points to?

Gyvalor

Gyvalor

collecter of death robes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
You can find all your answers to running a thief by reading what the master of all thieves has written HERE
Posted Image

Winu

Winu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes but as i said is Remove Trap useful? can you actually steal from houses :S?
And so focus is useless right?

Gyvalor

Gyvalor

collecter of death robes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Depends on what type of thief you are planning on working. Remove trap works well for t-hunters and lock picking chests in dungons.

To my knowledge you can't steal directly from houses any longer. If the house was set to public and you were able to stealth in you could pick up something that was no longer locked down.

I strongly suggest reading all of what Chad has to say about being a thief.
Posted Image

Winu

Winu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes i read some stuff for creating a thief.

I think ill go for:

Hiding
Lockpicking
Snooping
Stealing
Stealth
Fencing
Anatomy/Tactics

Which one should i choose, anatomy or tactics?

Winu

Winu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok final design will be:

Snooping 100
Stealth 120
Stealing 120
Hiding 100
Ninjitsu 100
Fencing 90
Tactics 70

Thanks for the help and the links.

This design though will only let me use the dagger's and assasin's blade's moves but they are the only ones which are actually useful to me.

What do you guys/gals think?

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
WWW.UOTHIEF.COM will answer all your questions. Howver is this mainly for stealing from people. If you plan on doing nothing but doom then take stealing to 90 and wear the burglar's bandana and shadow dancer leggings.

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
i would not use a fighting skill with your thief, If you are trying to steal then u can have nothing in your hands. mine is a mage necro thief strickly for stealing in doom and dojo. Works great.

HINT: Use shadow dancer leggings and save the extra 40 points.

Winu

Winu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

i would not use a fighting skill with your thief, If you are trying to steal then u can have nothing in your hands. mine is a mage necro thief strickly for stealing in doom and dojo. Works great.

HINT: Use shadow dancer leggings and save the extra 40 points.

Yeah i was thinking if i could remove anatomy and place posining in, and i put a fighting skill in order to have some kind of offence not necessarely when stealing.

Can you give me your template then please?

And the leggings, do you know an average price for them? i dont think i can go to doom yet heh.

EDIT: Also i hear that in order to have the maximum damage from poisening is have a mix of fencing and poisening which add up to 200 skill points. Is that true?

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Poisoning is almost a useless skill unless your gm. At GM u will produce a lethal dose more often. You can also use Archery with poisoning but like any other fighter skill u Must weald a wep with ether infectious strike or serpentine arrow. Depending on Shad, you can find for 750k-2m

As for my Template Her It Is:
80 hiding
100 stealth (120 with shadow dancer)
100 Stealing (120 with shadow dancer)
100 Necro
120 SS
100 Magery
120 Eval

I dont worry about Snooping for that is only for Fel. Meditation I left off template because I hardly run out of mana and not staying in one spot too long for there is always something to steal.

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
If you have 120 real skill, jewelry will NOT put it over that, correct? So, I could have shadow dancer leggings and that stealing bandana and save myself points for other skills?

All I want to do is to be able to sneak into doom areas and steal from chests (I'm only on Trammel, and I would feel bad about stealing from PC's). I know that in Tram you cannot steal from NPC's/monsters. Am I correct in that understanding?

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
yes but another thing DO NOT joing thiefs guild otherwise anyone can loot your body if u die.
Yes that is correct only people you will be able to steal from in tram are guildies

Gypsy

Gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
As of pub 57, you can steal from monsters, even in tram.
I don't think NPCs carry anything anymore, but you can steal from their crates, both in fel and in tram.

For Thieves
Players can now steal various items from monsters:

• A given monster can be stolen from once in its lifetime
  • Gold, bandages, gems, potions, scrolls
  • Thieves with GM skills or higher have a chance at stealing rare items
  • Seed of Life, Mana Draught, Gem of Salvation, Balm of Strength,Balm of Wisdom, Balm of Swiftness, Balm of protection, Stone SkinLotion and Life Shield Lotion

http://update.uo.com/design_512.html

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

If you have 120 real skill, jewelry will NOT put it over that, correct? So, I could have shadow dancer leggings and that stealing bandana and save myself points for other skills?

All I want to do is to be able to sneak into doom areas and steal from chests (I'm only on Trammel, and I would feel bad about stealing from PC's). I know that in Tram you cannot steal from NPC's/monsters. Am I correct in that understanding?

Correct. You cannot go above 120 stealing. Stealing is by far the easiest skill to "Twink" (see my article in the UO FAQs section: How to Twink a Character). You can become a legendary thief with only 50 real skill points.

~M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skills, thief