Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[Long thread ]Joanne you may need to address LAG issues]

- - - - - address issues joanne lag long thread

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Oooh Suicide by lag?... the perfect murder.

"Ok UO is costing us millions.. how can we get rid of it, without the loyal players getting angry?"

"Well, you know how gaming is.. standing still and your dead.. So.. let's give them massive amounts of lag.. but the monsters will have none.. in 3 seconds they will be dead.. keep it up for a month and people will start dropping like flies"

"Brilliant! IT Guy.. hop to it and do something to make lag!"

"Aye Aye Dev man captian sir! *runs off to reconfigure some routers, switches a DNS with a IP address.. Creates a bottle neck when all shards will go through one router* That oughta do it!"

"Ok.. all the rest of you.. pretend you don't know what is happening and give the canned response ""It is being looked into"" "

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
Ok... Seems to be a lot better now from here...

Origin dropped 4 packets out of 500, with an average ping of 172ms, which is much better than a few days ago, when it was above 240ms and over 90% loss!
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Aeryr Silverleaf

Aeryr Silverleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Welp dont know if there doing anything or not but seems to me the lag is getting worse on my end. Lag for me just started friday and at peak hours it seems to be getting worser everyday so far.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I'd be glad to read it, except that Joann's response was over 24 hours ago and it hardly said anything but pointing fingers despite PROOF that there is something wrong on EA.com's side. Not a peep out of the dev's today - I'm sure the team is having a lovely weekend ignoring us.

Joanne can only pass the feedback on to those who need it, I dont imagine for one moment she can fix it :P.

So until today she wouldnt be able to post any more info to us.I guess its about mid morning there now,so Ill see if there has been any new updates.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

It's a joke. I'm paying $70/month for what? A game I can't play? Along with everybody else paying EVERY MONTH for this game?

I've never seen such blatant ignorance of an issue in my 11 years in UO.

"We're concerned but it's not our fault"

Right.

So concerned that I'm sure it's waiting on a trouble ticket for the Monday morning crew, heaven forbid anybody work on the weekend.

Sadly, though, this has been a problem for at least a week now. I've sent traces for 4 days. It was well known BEFORE the weekend.

I'm just ANGRY at this point.

Yes I have to agree,it has been known about well before the weekend,and one would think the engineers or who ever should of been dealing with this,should of been doing just that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've been sending traces along with Kit and I even have the same thing the slowdowns don't start until the EA Hops. There was one I did where I had slowdown before that and I sent it in too admitting that this is what it looks like when the problem isn't on their end. I am a network engineering student so while I may not be as versed as Kit, I do know what is going on.

After a week getting worse everyday it is just absurd and I agree... why am I paying them to not play?
Zaibatsu of Atlantic
other characters of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

~Belle~

~Belle~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm still lagging very bad on Cats. Ever since Friday its been horrible..
Posted Image

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The lag is building as each hour goes by on Chessy. The packet loss is a killer and I mean that literally. Back to Dancing with the stars for me tonight.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Strangely enough we had reports of lag over here in europe as well even though not as massively as in the states. And as the EA reps stated, it's only some players that are having it. I for one nearly all the time am having ping between 35 and 45 - my normal ping. And if I DO have lag, it's not constantly but rather one giant monster lag, lasting 5-10 secs and then everything's back to normal.

Tis rather strange and probably not too easy for them to figure out, but of course you're right, that's what we pay them for...

cmcmaha

cmcmaha

Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Um, just to throw this out there - I didn't have any lag problems until the last update for Halloween. So, for me the event has been a rather slow "death" if you know what I mean. :huh
Drake Darkfyre *CH*
Chesapeake
(alts: Ethan Ironforge, Talon Shadowhawk, Valdemar, Captain Morgan, Quinn Fincannon)

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Joann blaming the latency on the rest of the internet seems a bit short-sighted when I have read MANY traces (including my own) that don't indicate any slowdown until the first EA.com hop.

So, this is what I put in the chatbox.... this is during and after my conversation with a level 3 support tech at my isp....she said there hadn't been any recent outages...and that they get bulletins and whatnot for that sort of thing.

Yes, this will be skewed...sorry.

Posted Image [17-11, 23:33] Lord Target on that note Posted Image [17-11, 23:32] Lord Target I had to ask if they were 'just blowing hot air' and she told me "Basically, yes." Posted Image [17-11, 23:32] Lord Target She also said they need to tell their customers what's going on.... Posted Image [17-11, 23:30] Lord Target because my line quality testing is acing the tests, I'm really confident the problem is not mine. Posted Image [17-11, 23:29] Lord Target Well, we've solved that partially. Posted Image [17-11, 23:29] Lord Target And that it was on EA's end. Posted Image [17-11, 23:28] Lord Target She said there's been no notification of any east-coast outages or server-block failures. Posted Image [17-11, 23:28] Lord Target and that EA needs to check their servers. Posted Image [17-11, 23:28] Lord Target she said no Posted Image [17-11, 23:28] Lord Target and I asked the level 3 tech if there were any whiteboard alerts or outages Posted Image [17-11, 23:27] Lord Target it's sure not us Posted Image [17-11, 23:27] Lord Target yep

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
good work target
Zaibatsu of Atlantic
other characters of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
Hopefully Joanne is going to try find the time today to get over here, register, and answer some of your points.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Hope they sort things out soon. It's weird listening in on hubby's conversations with his guildies, cause we hear them complaining that they can't move. Or they'd take a step then stop. Or it's taking minutes for the screen to load.

In the meantime, here's hubby playing. Nothing's wrong on his end. I saw about a couple of minutes where he lagged a bit but it was still playable (not for pvp though).

I don't know all these techy stuff, but I do hope they fix it soon. It's not good paying for a game you can't play.

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
I had to quit again today.

Any official word yet?

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

I had to quit again today.

Any official word yet?

Only this Maeglid

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
I am very excited to get home and try lag free play. I got whacked by greater monbats yesterday with vet char since I could only move 3 steps per minute. I went from alive frozen to death robe OOOooOOOOoo.

California Rasin

California Rasin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Whats funny is that I am lagging on Chessy and Lake Austin, moving like 5 steps a minute, but yet my internet, vent and icq all work perfectly.......makes you wonder. My ping times were fine until I hit the first ea hop just like everyone else. Hopefully the information we received of the issue will be resolved before I end up like Maeglid.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
Honestly, no, there was no leash or anything. I was glad everyone posted what they could when I was asking for tracerts that night.

There was a serious concern amongst the developers that the lag wasn't really network lag, but possibly CPU or memory usage on the server run amok. As I mentioned in one of those threads, we were able to eliminate that as a possibility once the tracerts started coming in, all pointing mostly to the east coast servers.

Having moved to Virginia, I live on the east coast now, so I checked my route to the servers - always clear, always fast. I also checked it from within the EA network (pinging from San Francisco back to east coast) and came out fine.

By this point, we were pretty much convinced it was a specific network issue, still possibly within our own control (it turned out not to be), so moved it upwards to the EA networking crew, and went back to crunching on the Abyss.

Joann has posted everything we *could* tell you, when she got it, and Mesanna has been collecting the tracerts you sent in.

Meanwhile, the official update has been posted here. The summary is: it's an individual telecom's issue, and it's being taken care of. This explains why only a portion of users were affected (like the fellow who was horribly lagged, but who's brother was fine on the same server)

Thank you all for being vigilant - the constant posts gave us the bullets we needed to get this thing taken care of.

Viva Stygian Abyss!

Draconi_EA UO Lead Designer

~~~~

Now we have had official and unofficial reasons why this problem occurred the subject can be closed.
Any further problems please report direct to EA.

Good Luck everyone (tabbitha)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: address, issues, joanne, lag, long, thread