Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[Long thread ]Joanne you may need to address LAG issues]

- - - - - address issues joanne lag long thread

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
First reported 5 days back by soze was this issue of lag on almost all servers at one point.

There are a number of posts today, including some from myself, addressing issues with LAG

Could someone from EA (Mythic) respond as to whether or not it is a server issue?

~~~~

ZippyTwitch also posted

"Because of the current lag. Uo is not playable. Because of the number of posts about it. It is on EA's end. And no the election has nothing to do with it. Since yesterday was election day and we don't vote via the internet."

~~~~

The lag problem is being looked into.

Thanks for the reports everyone!

Joanne_Mythic
UO Community Coordinator

~~~~

Uriah Heep wasnt happy he wasnt getting his pumpkin pie that night.!!

No matter how many posts there are on it, its unplayable for me right now.
Period.
Hell, ya can't even pick up pumpkins or scribe, because it takes minutes for something to show when you set it down.
That's serious business, and should get some attention!

~~~~
Obviously understanding the dilemma Draconi asked.

Uriah, which shard and location is this happening at? I'd like to try it from my location to see the effect as well.

Draconi_EA
UO Lead Designer

~~~~

Several more players told which shards were affected.

"I play Siege and the lag is all over for me."

and

"Pretty bad for me on Cats. Haven't been able to play all day.":[

and

"LS on T1 line 162 ping :o not good :o fixit now!!! hehe i just wanted t seem pushy since i never am, but would be nce to get fixed thanks in advance "

~~~~

Okay, I was getting really bad hops too - but now it seems to have dropped back down to 12ms from me to Atlantic.

96ms from east coast to Pacific.

Anyone try recently?

Draconi_EA
UO Lead Designer

~~~~

HeathBar reported

"I'm still getting the same thing on the last 3 hops. Hasn't really improved at all. I normally get about 60's to atlantic but I'm getting about 150 right now.

Thanks for looking into it.
"

~~~~

ZippyTwitch
explained

"Draconi it's not just certain shards. It's all of them. Look at the shard selection screen. The latency is way up on all of them. The packet loss is also. It shows 0% at first but if you watch it for a few seconds the packetloss jumps for all the shards up to 70% loss every few seconds. It's been this way for 7 hours now."

~~~~

5% reported how he and his brother had this strangeness happen

" sorry for the late response but yea 2 accounts 2 computers 2 isps one lags one does not.
He said that after 10:30PM eastern every night it clears up?? IDK i havent had the problem but when i ask him to hunt with me he says he cant LAG! He is dsl Im on cable that might be it but with the rash of complaints i figured id look into it.

(edit) i did see this lag on his puter very very bad! It was christmas 98 at the brit bank all over again!
"
~~~~

Flutter
agfreed

" It's definitely a daytime issue. After 11pm (central) the lag goes away for me. But during the day its downright unplayable. "

~~~~

Asmodai
also had issues on Europa

Just thought i'd mentioned my experiences here too

I play Europa and often lag mid evening really quite badly. I usually experience a degree of lag and put it down to high volume of people playing, however, it's been a big issue for the last couple of weeks as i only play to PVP, and has recently been extremely unplayable. I kinda stop every few steps even though my mouse pad is held down. It's like i hit something invisible every 4-7 steps.

Last night i did both spyware and virus clean up, i hoovered the inside of my pc, i did every possible trace on my latency, i removed/closed all programmes hogging any space on my computer, checked my ping which was 35-37 and still lagged like hell.

After about 10.15 pm, nothing on my computer had changed, but suddenly the issue was resolved and i indulged in some mass faction pvp with no real isssues.

Surely if i can fight 10-20 people and not lag at one time of the evening, but cant even take 5 steps forward earlier in the evening with no one on my screen something is going dramatically wrong.

I've complained a few times on stratics but generally got no response, and i'm glad to see other people are experiencing it and vocalising their experience so we can get this issue fixed.

~~~~

By the 7th a few people began to show their irritation

such as Kensai Ysunami

" the time of day makes no dif at all for me.
i have lagged off and on somewhat since the last publish, but today gameplay on LS is utterly impossible. about all i can do is work on skills or refill my kegs or some mundane crap like that.

i imagine how quickly i would be fired if i allowed my companies communication to fall this far below par, then tell my boss 'i am looking into it' ...then 2 days later nothing has been done to fix it?!?

i would be unemployed ...PERIOD!

I DONT PAY EA FOR THIS!! FIX IT!!!!
"

AND

Bman

" This is just rediculous.... It has been horrible on LS the last 2 evenings that I have tried to play. So bad that I wasnt even able to play Wednesday night at all.

I get home early today thinking I might get in some lag free game time before everyone gets on this evening only to find it moore horrible now than it has been the last 2 days...

What gives? Seems like it all started early this week? what ever was changed change it back already!

very aggrevating! "

~~~~

Many ,many more posts were nade,a lot of them showing individual ping times.

By the 8th Mystikal GILasked

this is really really sad, and annoying.

any news EA?

~~~~

Well Joanne tried to smooth things over.

This is still high priority for us and we are looking into it. If you are still experiencing latency issues that seem abnormally high, please send in your trace routes.

I wish I could snap my fingers and say "lag begone!" but I haven't quite learned that ability yet.

~~~~

Whilst Draconi told us in response to a greywolf

I don't think it has anything to do with the invasion.

For one thing it seems it's only (or primarily) the east coast shards that are effected. Not only that, its not everyone effected, only certain people. Guy in my guild who lives in michigan has a normal ping and is not being effected.
It is a server somewhere...ether the UO servers themselves, or perhaps a hop just before we get to them.
If it was the invasion causing it...every single person on that shard would be lagging, but its only some people, not everyone.

Right, if it were the server code, generally everyone would experience it (unless it was a script only being attached to certain people). Believe me, that's always possible, but so far we haven't seen any evidence of any infinite/bad loops or blackholes.

I think the information so far is really making a case for the east coast, and someone mentioned it could be affecting other services as well.

Keep the reports coming, please!

Draconi_EA
UO Lead Designer

~~~~~

By the early hours of the 8th the problem seemed to of been sorted,although only 2/86 posts as was pointed out came back to posts anything

Well its nice to see 2 of the 86 posts,were from people who bothered to come back and say THANKYOU !!!!!

Lady Arianne

~~~~~

Kensai Tsunami
the trick to customer service is communication - thank you for responding to us joanne and draconi.
...and after LS was brought back up a little while ago, the issues with lag have vanished for me and 3 others i have spoken to since.
thx a million for fixing it!
i'm curious what the problem was tho and how it was finally zapped.

and

Lord Hawke

LS is now lag-free for me as well since it was brought back up. Whatever you did, thank you!!!

~~~~

Nice to see some one thought to say it :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
As for any of you playing right now you may notice that there is some awful lag. I have done a trace and 33% of my packets fail after they reach EA. But up until they point they are all fine. Maybe there needs to be a reboot of some sort? A screen of the trace is coming soon from Kit and I will post one myself.

EDIT*** trace attacted

Attached Thumbnails

• tracertatlantic.jpg

Zaibatsu of Atlantic
other characters of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Yup Atlantic shard - everybody I've talked to is reporting some serious lag, and from my traceroute (tracing from Chicago to the east coast), my hops don't slow up until they hit EA's first router - which appears to be losing packets - and then massively slow on the second EA hop (presumably the actual server for Atlantic).

Trace attached...

Attached Thumbnails

• trace_atlantic111308.JPG

litesareon

litesareon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Same here, Its been so bad some days I don't even bother playing.

From Ontario here to the servers I am Pinging 170-200MS

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Yup I'm getting 140ms+ where I usually get 70-95ms at worst.

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
This was sent to me. So it has been acknowledged just they don't know the source or are working on fixing it.

http://www.uoherald....onfriday131.php

The second question asks your to send your trace route to UOBugs@uo.com along with your shard name.

-Zaibatsu of Atlantic
Zaibatsu of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
The janitor watering the plants must have splashed water on the Linksys connecting those 486's to the outside world :D

litesareon

litesareon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
=)

Too funny

The way the game has been playing lately, it wouldn't surprise me if it was 486's... lol

I am getting a weird glich were my stats are getting halved, like swords and healing etc..

Anyone else getting the same?

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I don't know if it's safe to mention the 486's they may think that is what we the people want and "Upgrade" to 486's
Zaibatsu of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Posted here on the 11th November :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Massive lag bubbles here (playing on Chesapeake)...at first I thought it was my "borrowed" wireless connection, but then I plugged into the wall (we have ethernet in my apartment complex), and same result.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Oy tonight is even worse. My trace shows the ping at EA's first router as still dropping packets, and over 400ms when it does go through. *cries*

Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i cant speak for the 400ms but i sent a set of pings (50 to be exact) and saw a rang from 175-348 and out of the 50 packets sent every 2 to 5 packets were dropped/lost or whatever you want to call it...

another question... why if this is a "east coast" shard do we have to connect all the way in washington... that right there is 1 problem.. you can verify this by looking at both mine and kit's screenshots at the end just before EA is Washington
Zaibatsu of Atlantic
Onomo Kirroso
Khalil
Suki Kimoro

ladykolleen

ladykolleen

Original Wonder Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
yeah - getting quite aggravated - i cant even play the lag is so bad and i have fast internet and never have any kind of problem. this stinks especially with the event because now we (hubby and me) are so not interested in the game - seeing as with the lag we die before we can move. what a waste of insurance and time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I am Diana, Princess of the Amazons! I won't be denied! "

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Saddly the lag is back and Even worse on LS.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
It's been awful last night and tonight on Atlantic. I'm getting pings upwards of 400ms on the first EA router hop, with it dropping a third of the packets it receives. I've sent in my trace routes...

Sigh.

Signed,

Unplayable on Atlantic.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
pings are "down" to 142ms for the first and second EA hops, though that is still ridiculously higher than normal for me.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

~~~~

Okay, I was getting really bad hops too - but now it seems to have dropped back down to 12ms from me to Atlantic.

96ms from east coast to Pacific.

Anyone try recently?

Draconi_EA
UO Lead Designer

~~~~

Looks intermittent to me. 45ms after being upwards of 145ms earlier.

ZippyTwitch explained

"Draconi it's not just certain shards. It's all of them. Look at the shard selection screen. The latency is way up on all of them. The packet loss is also. It shows 0% at first but if you watch it for a few seconds the packetloss jumps for all the shards up to 70% loss every few seconds. It's been this way for 7 hours now."

~~~~

I noticed this via UOTrace's polling mechanism. I suggest all of you try it when you're getting the terrible lag, because I saw the server 23-79.car3 receiving no responsiveness to my polls. In fact, I received 100% packet loss from this specific server while my lag was occurring and even now.

Even with the 45ms ping I'm now showing, that server is reporting
100% packet loss and a ping time of 118ms.

Flutter agreed

" It's definitely a daytime issue. After 11pm (central) the lag goes away for me. But during the day its downright unplayable. "

~~~~

I'm having a similar issue, but it doesn't seem the lag fully 'lets up' from it's stranglehold on our connections. It comes back. :(

I don't think it has anything to do with the invasion.

For one thing it seems it's only (or primarily) the east coast shards that are effected. Not only that, its not everyone effected, only certain people. Guy in my guild who lives in michigan has a normal ping and is not being effected.
It is a server somewhere...ether the UO servers themselves, or perhaps a hop just before we get to them.
If it was the invasion causing it...every single person on that shard would be lagging, but its only some people, not everyone.

The odd thing is, from my end, it looks like it's an EA server experiencing the packet loss, and it's the one directly before "ELECTRONIC".

Right, if it were the server code, generally everyone would experience it (unless it was a script only being attached to certain people). Believe me, that's always possible, but so far we haven't seen any evidence of any infinite/bad loops or blackholes.

I can say this, my ping to baja and sonoma is less than my ping to catskills when the lag does kick in. It's not server code, it's a large amount of packet loss.

When it's really busy on the UO servers, the packet loss from the other servers (not just the one with 100% loss that's stuck that way) goes up to 15-16%. You take 100% at one hop, and then 15-16% loss at another, followed by another 15-16%...it's easy to see the loss, but not the cause.

The west coast servers use a different carrier altogether, and to be honest, I'd rather EA fall back on these when the extreme lag hits.

I think the information so far is really making a case for the east coast, and someone mentioned it could be affecting other services as well.

Keep the reports coming, please!

Done and done. Sending more detailed reports of the packet loss for the pre-EA nodes.

[edit- just noticed LS has lag again] I may play my newbie on Baja or Sonoma if the lag returns to the levels it did just a few hours ago, tomorrow. Going to make it very hard to get a Trinket before monday. :(

On a side note, can I somehow modify my connection to bypass a specific route? :D

I'm considering trying a west-coast proxy [if the lag returns] just to see if the problem persists. At least I'd be dealing with an 85ms ping versus the 145 it was hitting.

No tech ever wants to hear the words "Problem" and "Intermittent" in the same sentence. It spells nothing but trouble. I'll be patient with this.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
After 11pm central, my ping improved to around 100ms - still high compared to what I'm used to (65-80ms from Chicago) but much better than earlier. It got better late at night last night, too, though, so I'm not confident it'll be fast in the morning. :-/

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I had 1ms for my first 3 pings to cats then i request timeout for all the rest

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: address, issues, joanne, lag, long, thread