Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Imbuing Clarifications from Leurocian

- - - - - clarifications imbuing leurocian

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Q: Is the soul forge used to unravel items as well as apply mods?

A: Yes.

Q: I understand we're limited to 5 mods per item. Does that mean you could craft a GM-quality weapon and then add 5 mods of your choice?

A: In the case of a GM crafted weapon, the damage increase is considered a property already on the item. So an artificer can imbue 4 other item properties to the item.

Q: It was mentioned that now would be a good time to stock up on mundane weapons. Is it also good to stock up on mundane armor and jewlery too?

A: You can. If your intent is to unravel them into Imbuing ingredients.

Q: Does it matter what mods and the mod intensities are on an item when you unravel them, or can you just unravel any item to get the best resources?

A: The total intensity of the item determines the what Imbuing ingredient is received when unraveling a magic item.

Q: Self repair can't be imbued... does that mean you can't imbue to an item that already has self repair, or does imbuing to an SR item just remove SR form the item?

A: Imbuing will remove Self Repair if it is present already.

Q: Will players be able to imbue mods to spellbooks?

A: Currently, no.

Q: Will players get skill gains from unraveling, or will players need to actually apply a mod to an item to get a skill gain?

A: Unraveling will allow an Artificer to gain up to 25.0 skill. To gain the rest of the way, she will have to imbue item properties to gain skill.

Q: When adding mods to an item, does the player just specify a recipe to add a specific mod, or does the player have to get a specific shard to add a specific mod? For Example, If I wanted to add DCI to an item; would I go unravel a DCI item and then use it to add DCI to my other item? Or would I just unravel a bunch of items and need to go get a DCI recipe?

I REALLY hope that recipes are reasonably attainable without mindless grinding (ex. not like heartwood) if the devs do a recipe-based system. I absolutely despise the Heartwood quest system.

A: Imbuing does not require recipes. It's very similar to crafting. You will need 'X' number of Imbuing Ingredients (one of three types depending on the item property and the intensity to Imbue), 'X' number of regular gems, and 'X' number of rare resources such as perfect emeralds, peerless like ingredients, ingredients from epic encounters, etc.

If done right, the imbuing system could be the coolest thing to ever hit UO. I really hope the devs nail it.

We sure hope so. That's why it will be essential to thoroughly iterate through the design and this system.

Are there restrictions as to what mods can be put on Jewelry (i.e , reflect phys, swing speed, etc)

Yes. Whatever properties an item can normally have as random loot is what it can have imbued.

is also possible increase resistances for armor and change damage type in the weapons?

You can increase resists, but you cannot change the damage type with Imbuing.

What if you have something made by a ruinc hammer and it's made of iron. Can we add more mods to it?

Yes. But you cannot exceed 5 item properties.

Can we unravel properties off an item that's using special materials - such as valorite - then imbue it onto an iron weapon?

No.

Q: Will we be able to bulk-unravel items with the soul forge like you can with the recycling bag? It would be ideal if we could just toss a bag of 124 garbage items into the forge and get a bag of stacked shards of varying types.

A: Thank you for reminding me about this. I'll note it and see what it would take to do this.

Note: The current design is to have the new imbuing ingredients be stackable.

Q: Will artificers be able to gain the imbuing skill by casting mysticism spells that use imbuing to determine their power?

A: No.

Q: Will we be able to start a new character with 50 imbuing and mysticism?

A: Yes.

Q: If an item already has a mod on it (say 35% DI), can you overwrite that mod with a stronger mod (say 45% DI)? Please say yes Posted Image

A: Since you said please...Yes Posted Image (Note: You can also reduce it as well, if you desired.)

Q: How is the intensity of the mod you add determined? For Example, it could be determined by the "recipe" you select on the mod menu (ex. greater DI or lesser DI) or it could be determined by your overall skill level in imbuing and some random modifier.

A: You basically will have arrow indicators in the interface where you can increase or decrease the intensity. Similar to the crafting menu, you'll see the ingredients required to perform the Imbuing. So you'll be able to see exactly what is required including success chance.

As far as the max intensity for each item property, it essentially is the same as what you would find as monster loot for items.

Can we enhance an imbued item?

Yes. Once you successfully did so, however, you cannot imbue that item again since it will then possess special material.

Note: GM Imbuing and above, gargoyles get bonuses to enhance (1% for GM and every 10 skill above). This bonus stacks with the GM Blacksmithing and above bonus.

You raise a really good question with whether imbued items will be recognizeable. That's certainly something that will need to be taken into account.

Imbued Items with have an 'Imbued' Item property tag.

did I get you correct if I say that the most powerful unraveled items will make the best ingredient for imbuing?

Correct.

Are the reagents connected to what mods I can imbue or only what intensities I can imbue?

Each mod was assigned one of three different ingredients depending on the item property: Magical Residue, Enchanted Essence, and Relic Fragments.

All imbuing attempts will require the following:

- 'X' number of ingredients listed above
- 'X' of gems.

If the intensity to be imbued is greater than 90% then the following will also be required...
- 'X' number of rare ingredients (boss drops, rare gemstones, etc.)

DISCLAIMER: Every answer given here is the current design and is subject to change as we work on it.

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Lead Game Designer, Ultima Online
Mythic Entertainment, an EA Studio

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Does the DI you get from a GM crafted item with arms lore count as one of the 5 mods that can be on an item?

Yes.

When you say "not if it's made with special materials", I'm assuming that's to prevent wooden weapons from having a crazy number of mods on them. Does that also mean that I couldn't craft a GM weapon with dull copper ingots to give it a head start on durability?

Yes.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Thanks, Leurocian for your continual communications with the community, even if imbuing will change some from this outline (and it will, systems in UO usually do) at least we players can get a basic understanding and try to see where you are headed and maybe spot some problems or give different ideas to make it even better.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Love it love it love it! :)

Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am very concerned about the embuing that is scheduled for the SA release. As a casual player who does not have infinite time or money, It sounds to me as if this "skill" will be unavailable to me. I do not have an extra character slot nor do I have available points to distribute to my crafter. My crafter is a Legendary smith with GM armslore. It has been virtually charity work since it is impossible to make money with a crafter. So as I understand it my crafter will go from practically useles to completely useles. If players with more time and money can create and train a character with embuing skill then why have crafters at all, since decent armor and weapons are redially available as monster loot? It seems a bit unfair to me that a Legendary smith with GM armslore has absolutely no say what so ever in the properties that are placed on the items he creates. I have spent untold millions on hammers and have had very nice equipment sit on vendor unsold for months. The money spent to create one decent item can never be regained by selling the item. Please give some consideration to the poor crafters who have worked so hard for so long. :'(

Yossarian of LS

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
IMO, they are. Crafting has slowly been improved over the years. Introducing runics allowed crafters to compete with high-end monster loot.

Introducing UOML recipes and peerless ingredients allowed crafters to compete with artifacts.

With Imbuing, I feel theyre accomplishing two things: 1) allowing crafters to direct some of the properties that get put on items rather than have it be a stupid random number generator deciding, as with runics, and 2) allowing crafters to once again compete with the mass-farmed runics and peerless ingredients.

Overall, however, the "threshold" is continually and persistently being moved up. As I alluded to previously, 20% damage increase used to the be shiznat, then it was 35%, then 40%, now mid-50's are doable with even a bronze hammer. When will it stop? Will it stop? People will approach the caps(FC/FCR/dmg incr/swingspeed/etc.) faster and easier than ever until it gets to the point they either got tweak the caps, tweak skills(which always riles people) or introduce ever more difficult monters/dungeons. This isn't just UO's problem, for the second time in as many expansions even WoW is raising their level cap.

IMO, and it surely is an opinion, instead of raising the bar they should be making the bar wider. Make the games more enriching than just kill X faster with less party deaths.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I think this is an overall positive step for crafters:

1) It makes it tougher for every player to have a perfect 'mule' character and potentially increases player interaction.

2) Crafters can pick and choose properties and intensities. This is available through no other mechanism. The trade-off will be yet another skill to train - but your product will be highly sought-after.

3) Crafters get a whole new set of armor to create: stone. It widens the demand for existing commodities and existing skills (mining, stonecrafting)

All in all, I think we're headed in a better direction.

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Has there been any indication what will happen to runics in regards to Imbuing?

Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
M, I disagree. You say:

1) It makes it tougher for every player to have a perfect 'mule' character and potentially increases player interaction.

I do not think it possible to have the perfect "mule" character now. If by that you mean a character that can do all crafts.

2) Crafters can pick and choose properties and intensities. This is available through no other mechanism. The trade-off will be yet another skill to train - but your product will be highly sought-after.

Crafters can not (as I understand it) pick and choose. Embuers can pick and choose. Again I will say, and forgive me if I am understanding this wrong: What now will be the use of having a crafter? I can not sell my wares now. So now any toon with the points to distribute can embue? Why have crafting at all if you can just pick what you want off the ground and embue it you dont need to be a crafter.

3) Crafters get a whole new set of armor to create: stone. It widens the demand for existing commodities and existing skills (mining, stonecrafting)

I can not comment on this as my crafter does not have those skills which goes back to my response on pt.1

I do not feel that this is a benefit to crafting. On the contrary I see it as a nail in the coffin. Sure I will still be able to make pendants of magi with my tink skill, but it costs more to make em than you can get for em. I have not found any recipes for a smith that sell. I hope that my response does not sound ugly. That is not my intention. I just feel that the power to embue should not be yet another hurdle to cross but should be available to all crafters that have worked so hard to get where they are. Now I will have to dump a skill or not embue. Of course, if they do implement this the way they say I can dump all my crafting skills because they will be useless. It took forever to get 120 smith and other than the title it is completely meaningless. Why not give a 120 crafter some benefit. I do not enhance items now because the benefit does not outweigh the risk and there is NO benefit to enhancing weapons. 120 crafters need some perk for having achieved that number. I personally think 120's ought to have some say so in what they make. I detest randomness. What will happen to runic tools and bods?
POF will now be completely useless. I just do not think they have thought this out. What a drag. I hope they reconsider some of this stuff.

Yossarian of LS

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
You don't have to dump a skill, just get a soulstone.

I havent used Alchemy in forever, but I wanted that 5% dmg bonus from Arms Lore, so I stoned Alchemy and worked Arms Lore.

When I wanted 120 Smithing, I was able to drop my Magery to 0 since humans now have Jack of All Trades and I can Recall effortlessly.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think it's realistic to expect, in crafting or pvp or rougish skills, to attain a certain skill level and then forever be at the ultimate level of the game. The game evolves or it goes stale and so people need to adapt and evolve with it. Everyone has spent a lot of time working their skills, perhaps the real villain here is not the changes but the grinding/treadmilling involved to keep up with the changes.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I love crafting so lets keep this thread happy! I wish I could have a super mule in UO. Instead I had like 4 mules :P... most with the same skills! What can I say, I love crafting.. again! ha!

These adds sound pretty neat. The imbuing sounds a lot like enchanting in WoW.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
Just don't let Maddux hear you say that Snuggs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have a crafter and i never thougth i would ever make one. I have 120 smith and tailor and 100 mining, tinkering, Arms Lore, and alch. rest in magery for recalling and a few spells when out mining. I think i have to transfer some skills around when i get back to get ready for Imburing but i dont know what i want to do on it. WHat skills do they have in crafting? and what ones will work with inburing?

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I was equating Embuing with another crafting skill. It's certainly not something that you're going to load onto your swordsman. As far as I know, there is no combat use for Embuing...thus, in my mind, it's a craft.

~M

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
But there will be a combat use for imbuing. A very good one actually.

The Questions come from stratics members, and the answers come (mostly) from Leurocian.
1:
Rising Colossus
Description: Summons a colossal stone titan that will attack nearby foes.
Skills Used: Mysticism/Imbuing/Evaluate Intelligence
Control Slots: 5

Mysticism, Imbuing, and Eval Int determine the stats, skills, and abilities of the Rising Colossus.

And 2:
Spell Trigger
Description: Allows a Mystic to store a Rank 6 or lower Mysticism spell on a spell stone to be invoked later.
Skills Used: Mysticism/Imbuing
Details: Leurocian has stated that at 120/120 Mysticism/Imbuing you would be able to store up to a Rank 6 Mysticism spell.

I interpreted this to mean that the system is using this equation to determine what rank of spell you can trigger.
(Mysticism + Imbuing)/40

Total Mysticism and Imbuing Skill Points Requirements
Rank 1: 40
Rank 2: 80
Rank 3: 120
Rank 4: 160
Rank 5: 200
Rank 6: 240

Q: How does spell Trigger work?
A: -Once triggered, the spell will take immediate effect, provided that all the normal validations pass such as enough mana, available control slots, reagents, appropriate skill level, valid targets/locations, etc. If any of these validations fail, the Spell Trigger cannot be activated.
Note: Spell Triggers can trigger stored spells even if the Mystic is frozen, stunned, calmed, slept, etc. However, Spell Triggers can not be triggered if the player is in no play mode (like character transfers)
The Spell Trigger remains in tact until triggered or until the magic is cancelled (i.e., logging into the game cancels buffs and debuffs).
Spell Triggers cannot be purged (Mysticism: Purge Magic).
Spell Triggers brought within an area of no-magic are suppressed and cannot be activated.
Only one Spell Trigger can be on a Mystic at a time. Recasting a Spell Trigger replaces any existing Spell Triggers on the Mystic.
The Spell Trigger spell can never be selected as a spell to trigger. All other Mysticism spells are valid provided that the Mystic has sufficient skill levels in Mysticism and Imbuing.
There is a 5 minute cooldown after a Spell Trigger is triggered before a Spell Trigger can be invoked again.
The Spell Stone is deleted upon the player logging into the game.

Q: When casting a spell from a spell trigger, does it do a reagent check when the trigger is invoked? Specifically, does triggering a spell that uses garlic while in vampire form damage the caster.
A: I believe it should. I'll verify that and confirm.

Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
M, I also equate embueing with being a crafting skill. It is the crafting skill that will take the place of the smith, the tinker, the bower, the tailor, the carpenter, and possibly in the future the scribe. None of the above crafter skills will be able to compete with the skill of embuing. I spend 20 mil for a val hammer and not get 1000gp for my trbl, but someone with embuing will be able to pick up a sword off the street in haven and have a demon slayer with ALL the goodies by throwing a few magic rocks at it? Then turn around and do the same thing with a bow, a ring, a bracelet, and all armor? He has devoted 120 of his points and can blow me out the water and I have trained 710 points. Perhaps I am not understanding this right, but if I am, 2 yrs is a long time to devote to building a crafter only to have his skills become effectively useless. To me this would create the Super Mule you alluded to in your earlier post. So there would be no need to have four crafters Snugglebunny you can have all of the above with only 120 points. Crafting is probably the most enjoyable part of UO to me. That is why I am so upset about this. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of being able to add magic properties of my choosing. I detest randomness. I have been sending e-mails to em for cpl years trying to get em to do just that. Be careful what you ask for I guess, cause this is certainly NOT what I had in mind.

Yossarian of LS

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I thought you had to have the skill for the item you wanted to do Embuing to be able embuing on that item. Didn't they say they are going to add more 120 scrrolls? If so your mule would be something like this I think.
120 embuing
120 smithing
120 mining*
120 tailoring
120 tinkering*
* If they drop scrolls for other skills
This would work for me if they did it this way.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
@Farsight:
I completely missed the part about the Colossus.

@Veracose:
I seem to remember something about needed smithing to embue a smith item also, but I'll have to do a little research.

~M

Veracose

Veracose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
thats what i thought that you had to have the skill also.

Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
@Veracose, Farsight, ~M, If the smith skill is required in addition to embueing to work on smith items (that was not my understanding) then I will feel a little better. If you do indeed find this in your research I would be gratefull for the info. Also, if I may ask, Do the Dev's read any of these posts?

Thanks,

Yossarian of LS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clarifications, imbuing, leurocian