I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency)

--I looked around online and it looks like this is true -- Ally

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency?

Hence the 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign. The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile)phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.' For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

A great idea that will make a difference!Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

--------------------

The Truth

The campaign is true, although it was not prompted by the London terrorist bombings.

It was started in April, 2005 by a paramedic based in Cambridge in England.

His name is Bob Brotchie and he is a clinical team leader for the East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust.

He said he got tired of trying to figure out who to contact when dealing with shocked or injured patients who can't give the information themselves.

The campaign encourages people to put an entry in their cell phones and other portable address devices under the name of "ICE" (In case of emergency).

Emergency personnel can quickly check the cell phone for the ICE entry and reach whoever's name and contact information is there.

It also gives the cell phone owner the opportunity to choose who will be contacted during an emergency when that person may not want Mom, Dad, or some other same-named relative to be called.

The announcement of the campaign in April was made by Brotchie, a British war hero named Simon Weston, and the Vodafone Life Saver Awards.

Vodafone is a cell provider in the UK and says that its research has shown that more than 75 percent of the people it surveyed don't carry any information about who they would want contacted on their behalf in case of an emergency.

• Like 1

Its a wonderful Idea. Thank you. I was volunter with my local ambulance for 2 years. When we would take the rig to our local Fire prevention week, We would have papers explaining, to have some of there contects labled like Mom/Dad or Husband/Wife so we would know who to call. This ICE is a wonderful idea and will really help the injuried person's family to get to them sooner. Thank you for posting this.

I have a paramedic friend who told me that while locally, their unit doesn't not have an official "ICE" policy in place, all of the paramedics here have heard of it and WILL check injury victims' cell phones for entries starting with ICE - so even if your local township doesn't "officially" recognize it, he suggested that everyone do it anyway. It may be one case where an urban myth actually turned into truth!

I have 2 ICE entries in my cell phone... just in case.