Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

News Flash: Mark=UOSA FTW

- - - - - flash ftw markuosa news

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Guest_Mark_Mythic_*

Guest_Mark_Mythic_*
  • Guests
Hi everyone! My name is Mark Steelman and I just started on the UO team doing content development for the new expansion, “Stygian Abyss.” Basically, I write quests and make monsters try to kill you. I have worked for Mythic Entertainment for a year now. I started on Dark Age of Camelot and then to Warhammer during their crunch time. Now that Warhammer Online has launched I jumped at the opportunity to work with the UO team to expand this online classic.

I grew up in North Carolina in a little town north of Charlotte called Salisbury. As a kid, I played some old school text based RPGs like Zork, then graduated to the Sierra classics like King’s Quest. These are the games that made me want to make games. I started trying to make games in Jr. High using GW Basic and True Basic but found that those languages weren’t really made for that. I went to college at UNC Chapel Hill (Go heels! Woot!) where I studied English and Communication Arts with a focus in theater and directing. I played a decent amount of arcade games during college, mostly Daytona USA and Killer Instinct as well as a healthy amount of Adam’s Family Pinball (what a great game!!) After college I got a job… and with a job came money to buy a console! My first console was the Sega Saturn which I got for Virtua Fighter 2 but played a few good RPGs, “Legend of Oasis” and “Mystaria: The Realms of Lore” come to mind as my favorites.

My first online game was called Dark Ages by KRU Interactive and from that day I was hooked on online games. I couldn’t get over how awesome it was to be playing with people all over the world! When Dark Age of Camelot came out, I had just bought a new computer and a buddy got me into it. That game introduced me to online pvp and that was awesome. Last year there was an add on the Camelot Herald that Mythic was looking for writers to write quests, that you didn’t need programming experience, you just needed to be able to write… I remember writing a letter that said, “If I had this job, my life would make a lot more sense!”

Right now, when I’m not working, I am playing Ultima Online and Warhammer. The thing I love about UO is that is feels like a real RPG, more like a game of D&D than most MMOs today. Most MMOs today are less about the adventure and more about killin’ stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love killin’ stuff but I definitely know why UO is still going strong. Speaking of killin’ stuff, I’m also playing Mercinaries 2 on Xbox360 and that is a blast (especially online). Of course, it’s not like I spend all my time playing video games (boggle!) I also play D&D 3.5 and I have a pretty extensive collection of board games. Some of my favorite board games are Twilight Imperium 3, BattleLore, or Dungeon Twister. Oh, and sometimes I eat and sleep.

I’m really looking forward to this UO expansion, we are doing some sweet stuff and I can’t wait for the players to check it out!

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Welcome to UOForums, Mark :)
Thanks for the intro post, it's great to hear you actually play UO, hehe

teeshy

teeshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I already lost my heart to you elsewhere ;)

But welcome to UO forums too! (And UO itself ;))

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Welcome welcome, I like your background. It reminds me of well... mine. Well, up to the English part. I hated English

Good luck with designing the ways to kill me. If you succeed, I'll call it fun.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
Welcome to the community!

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Ultimate Online Forums and the UO community! Great to see an old school gamer as a developer and new member of the UO Team.

The thing I love about UO is that is feels like a real RPG, more like a game of D&D than most MMOs today.

Oh you so hit the nail on the head. UO is the true sandbox of MMOs that AD&D is to tabletop games.

Looking forward to seeing & playing your work in the near future.

News item - Mark, Content Dev For SA.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Welcome! Looking forward to SA :)

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
I will say welcome to the forums. But I will not thank you for you non-post post. Yeah, you play games and you always wanted to work on games, great. I think most people in your position can say exactly the same thing. It is not like I have ever met anyone who has said they worked at a gaming company making games and they hate it, worse job ever.

I will say thanks for maintaining the hype for SA, without actually saying anything at all. Yes, yes I know it is all hush-hush, you know since UO is cutting edge and all. We have steadly lost players over the years, but everything is still super, top, double, ultra secret secret. Why?

I would be shocked if you ever posted over here on this forum again, usually you Mythic people stick over on the other "unofficial" forum, but I will take what I can get over here.

If you do actually read this, how about some more information on your UO experience(s). No, I do not want to know your characters names or the shard/s you play on.

How about some simple ones?

Exactly how long have you being playing UO, ballpark it please, to the nearest month?
What type of character do you play?
Mainly pvp or pvm?
Do you craft or rely on other players for repair deeds?
Why is it taking so long to make stone, sand, arcane gems, et al stackable? Will you release a list of everything that you are making stackable?
Do you play female characters or does that weird you out?
Do you role play any/all of your characters?
You worked on DAoC and Warhammer and now you are working on the old mare, more headaches or less; programming in/on this old, jumbled, cobbled together code?
Can we at least know if SA is going to see any shelf space (ie a box?) or is it going to be a download only?
If it is (SA) download only, why have any marketing people? Either fire them or move them over to work on Warhammer. Since UO has no use for them.

I could go on but, I will stop for now. I wish you well in your career.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I could go on but, I will stop for now.

Welcome to the UOF UHall Mark.

Excuse me while I throw my bowl of corn flakes away.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
Welcome to the community!

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I will say welcome to the forums. But I will not thank you for you non-post post. Yeah, you play games and you always wanted to work on games, great. I think most people in your position can say exactly the same thing. It is not like I have ever met anyone who has said they worked at a gaming company making games and they hate it, worse job ever.

I will say thanks for maintaining the hype for SA, without actually saying anything at all. Yes, yes I know it is all hush-hush, you know since UO is cutting edge and all. We have steadly lost players over the years, but everything is still super, top, double, ultra secret secret. Why?

I would be shocked if you ever posted over here on this forum again, usually you Mythic people stick over on the other "unofficial" forum, but I will take what I can get over here.

If you do actually read this, how about some more information on your UO experience(s). No, I do not want to know your characters names or the shard/s you play on.

How about some simple ones?

Exactly how long have you being playing UO, ballpark it please, to the nearest month?
What type of character do you play?
Mainly pvp or pvm?
Do you craft or rely on other players for repair deeds?
Why is it taking so long to make stone, sand, arcane gems, et al stackable? Will you release a list of everything that you are making stackable?
Do you play female characters or does that weird you out?
Do you role play any/all of your characters?
You worked on DAoC and Warhammer and now you are working on the old mare, more headaches or less; programming in/on this old, jumbled, cobbled together code?
Can we at least know if SA is going to see any shelf space (ie a box?) or is it going to be a download only?
If it is (SA) download only, why have any marketing people? Either fire them or move them over to work on Warhammer. Since UO has no use for them.

I could go on but, I will stop for now. I wish you well in your career.

No offense intended, but lighten up a little, maybe?

Welcome to the forums Mark :).
"I'm no longer young enough to know everything."

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

No offense intended, but lighten up a little, maybe?

Welcome to the forums Mark :).

Why? I love this game as much as the next person. What does this post do for the community? They do not provide any answers as far as the direction the game is taking. It just so much hot air. While it is nice that people introduce themselves, how does this help make the game better? Would it really hurt for Mythic to be more forth coming with the community?

But if this kind of puff piece post suits you...well so be it. I would like something with more substance , but each to their own.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I'd agree if this thread had actually been made with game substance in mind.

I just take it as a forum introduction thread; nothing more.
"I'm no longer young enough to know everything."

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
Don't mind Warsong Mark, he's grumpy cause the orcs took a leak in reg bag and rubbed doe "Sent" on his armor now he's got stags following him around all day even though he's not a tamer *shakes head*.

Welcome to UOF Mark, hope you make some great quest for me to puzzle at :D.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Basically, I write quests and make monsters try to kill you.

W00t, more quests and more monsters to kill me.

I love this guy.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I hate to ask the question, but was Warsong right? Did he ever post here again?

I can't find any...

:(

~M

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

I hate to ask the question, but was Warsong right? Did he ever post here again?

I can't find any...

:(

~M

Thanks for noticing! That was my point of my post! He gave us nothing substancial, but he kept the hype machine going for SA. I still have not gotten any really answer about why everything is so super secret. UO is not cutting edge. Other players have told me that if they (Mythic) tells us there plans, we players will tear them down before they even work on them. And while that is a valid point. There have also been many times that players have pointed out obvious errors/trouble with new systems either in focus groups or during betas (elven bows, other ML systems comes to mind) that Mythic totally ignored the community input and plowed ahead, just to have to go back in later and try to fix the mistakes.

Take a look at the thread here that leurocian started while giving a starter explaination of imbuing. That is the way to communicate. Even if imbuing is totally different from the outline, and it will change, every system they have put in has done so. It was a great place to start the discussion and give players something to think about. And might have sparked other ideas in Leurocian when he read the replies, you never know. That is the way to be open with the community and I wish more people at Mythic were like Leurocian. But that might be wishing for too much.

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
His post wasn't to 'communicate' or 'convey' anything. It was simply an introduction, and really, we should be thankful that Mythic allows them to introduce themselves at all. Yes, it's completely necessary for things to remain hush hush, even for an old game like UO...

and really...If you got a welcome like the yours to a post trying to be friendly to a community, would you be inclined to do so again? Especially if you didn't have to? I think that's doubtful.

Did you check to see if he's posted to 'that other site'? I did. Other than the same exact post that was made here introducing himself, he hasn't.

Now, really? I mean, c'mon. That was made in September...the people who ARE able and allowed to post more freely do so. You want to know who's working on the team, they allow introductions, and it's not enough. Honestly, entitlement is not due, I apologize for the confusion there. You're assuming he's even still on the team, and taking this as a personal affront to the community, when I'm really pretty darned sure that isn't the case, and it's been explained many many many times by many many many people, employees and non, over the years... :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Dareth

Dareth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Welcome!! You are from near my neck of the woods! I grew up in a small town South of Charlotte! The big town of Monroe! Looking forward to the new expansion!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is not measured but the amount of breaths you take....but the amount of moments that take your breath away.......

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Welcome Mark! Glad to have you aboard! That resume of yours should resonate well with the roleplayers and gamers here! :icon_thumleft:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash, ftw, markuosa, news