Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Vampire taming - an experiment

experiment taming vampire

7 replies to this topic

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
So tonight's fun started with a little bit of experimenting with pack instinct. I started by taming a pack of 5 scorpions and heading to Despise to see how they did. I was not impressed with the scorpions, but they didn't do half bad.

Then I picked the first five hell hounds I saw and sent them down into the depths of Despise, and to my surprise, even titans and cyclopses dropped as quickly as I could say "all kill." The problem was that whenever a titan got in a lucky shot, my newly tamed hell hound would wind up back in hell where it belongs.

That got me to thinking. The pack is great for dealing more damage than anything else in UO. However, the pack has two major weaknesses. The first weakness is that it's really hard to control and keep alive five pets at a time. I haven't figured out how to deal with that beside practice. The second weakness is that having a maximum of 125 hit points (according to stratics, I think the info there is wrong.), nearly any high end creature can kill it in one or two shots.

Then I came up with my idea. Why not, instead of my low resists having puppies as bait, I use myself as the tank and then have the puppies attack once I'm engaged in battle? So I went to test center and made myself a new template.

First the template was 100 necromancy. Then I cast vampire embrace and made the following:
110 taming
110 lore
120 swords
100 tactics
100 vet
100 parry
80 chivalry

Once that was done, I set out to tame a pack. Rather than take the time to pick out 5 good hell hounds, I picked the first 5 that I saw and set out to kill things.

The results were brilliant! As long as I hit my artificial victim first, the bad guy dropped in seconds. Any bad guy dropped that quickly, from cyclopses to Balrons. And because I had vampire mode, nothing could really kill me (until I got to the paragon balron. Ouch! but you wouldn't expect 60 skill hell hounds to kill paragon balrons, now would you?).

The biggest weakness of that set up is that you still have problems with creatures with area effect damage like succubi or Sir Patrick (I assume, I didn't do the Bedlam quest). I would imagine that most peerless would eat the pack alive as well, but you would be able to take a dragon or a rune beetle to the really high end fights. But if you want to so something like say... farm Miasma, a pack with you as bait is a really good idea.

(on a side note, my original question was "Do bake kitsune count as canine for pack instinct? After all, they do count as wolves for necromancers." My answer is "I don't think so. Three hellhounds and a bake did less damage than 4 hellhound over time.)

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
team work:

one player tanks... you kill with pack. =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Robert PenDragon

Robert PenDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
last page of the lore gump will tell you what pack instincts a pet has.
as for your template. If your planning on tanking for your pack I would tweak your template to:

100 lore, taming
vet you could do 2 things
100 or go 90 vet and use enhanced bandies to equal 100.
weapons skill 120
tactics 100 min. (if you go 90 vet you could add points here as well)
as for parry I would suggest the extra points from the lower taming go here. so 120 parry.
chiv stays at 80.

as for the suit I would consider a high mana regen and high dex some must modifiers here.

vet skill could go as low as 80 but you will fail on res attempts alot.

as for a packs... I have seen a trained hell hound pack take out a rune beetle in no time flat. for your questions about strength/hit points. Any tamable pet that has strength below 125 can be trained to 125 str (same for dex) as a pet gains in str he will gain hit points. hard part is keeping them alive while training. Another thing to consider is the amount of damage a pair of fire steeds do with an imp (summon fiend spell). steeds carry equine and deamon pack instict and the imp has deamon :)

Robert PenDragon

Robert PenDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Just seen this on the FoF:

Skill Jewelry and Form-Changing Spells in Publish 56
I didn't have a version of the question handy, but this has come up a number of times. Currently, if you use skill jewelry to increase your skill, cast a form-changing spell (such as Necromancy's Vampiric Embrace) then remove the skill jewelry, you remain in that form.

This will be changing in Publish 56. What will happen is if you lower your skill past the threshhold to be able to cast that particular form-changing spell, (whether by removing items, using a soulstone, or even using the Test Center set skill command) you will revert to your normal form. This will affect not only the various forms available with Necromancy but Magery (Polymorph,) Ninjitsu (Animal Form,) and Spellweaving (Reaper Form.)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Valthonis

Valthonis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
it should also be noted that a necro could have a pack of 4 with no taming skill at all as long as the dark wolf is out

Malkavian

Malkavian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
How high does your taming skill have to be to control hell hounds?

Malk

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Boy, this was an old idea... ahh memories!

Anyhow, 90 taming and lore will give you a 99% control chance on a hell hound.

Hell hounds are not considered wolves, and thus can not be controlled by the dark wolf (at least when I last checked about a year ago, that was a disappointing day), but bake kitsune can be controlled.
Posted Image

Tamer King

Tamer King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thing with this set up is, if i were going to take a pet to a big fight on my warrior i would just get 66 spell weaving and charm a Arctic Ogre Lord or similar high end humanoid and use that. Less skill points used and i would be able to use my super cross healing 1 second bandies to keep it fully healed against all but the toughest enemies.

Only problem with this is getting it places, but if you can sacrifice a bit more skill for magery or even just have a mage friend tag along then it's a moot point.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: experiment, taming, vampire