Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

First rare drop! Err, at least I think...

- - - - - drop err rare

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I was grinding in Despise tonight (in the first section with the ettins) and while I was skilling Bushido, something popped up in chat that caught my eye; surprising really, since it's the same grey text that I see everytime I use "honorable execution". Anyway, the message said something along the lines of, "You've shown much valor in slaying the beast. A reward has been bestowed upon you." So I checked my inven and much to my surprise, I had a new sword! It's called "Dragon's End" - screenshot included.

Ahem, now to the point of this thread :P - I was just wondering if this was a reward for getting my skills up, or do rare "artifact" items like this drop completely at random? Heck, an even better question would be, is loot (in general) randomly generated in UO? This is a question I really should have asked weeks ago, but it kept slipping my mind :P.

Whatever the case, I was really excited to see that in my pack. It's definitely the nicest thing I've personally found, and it just so happens to be one of my fav colors :).

If you guys could set me straight on this, I'd really appreciate it :).

Be safe,

-Sen

Attached Thumbnails

• client 2008-09-21 06-17-37-64.jpg

"I'm no longer young enough to know everything."

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's part of the 10th anniversary "drops"
For every monster you kill in the normal dungeons, you earn points towards a possible artifact

Ah, better details here, courtesy of UOguide - http://www.uoguide.c...0th_Anniversary

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Bah, well, that makes it a bit less epic... lol.

Thanks for setting me straight Adam :) - it's still nice to find something like that nonetheless. It's higher damage than anything I was currently using so at least it's serving a purpose :P.

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
They could also be turned for spring cleaning points to claim rewards,regardless,some of them are actually very nice items,and virtue armor set,while a good crafted suit will easily end being much better,looks great and has all 70s..

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
As far as the rest of the loot, yes, it's pretty much all randomly generated (except some nominal, useless to mildly useful items that will spawn on certain creatures).

There are several areas/types of creatures that give you a chance of getting the "valor" message. All paragons in Ilsh give you a chance of a minor artifact, most named ML monsters (such as swoop and miasma) give you the same also.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
BTW dont mean to sound bitchy,but in the shot i see you are using a shield,but you mentioned you are skilling bushido,so using a shield is not a good idea..maybe you just equiped it for pose tho,I dont know,just thought id say it anyway.

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
On a sidenote, Senvilan... is the character we see at the screenshot your bushido character? I'm asking cause he is wearing a shield. You should not use a shield while fighting as a samurai. Best is to fight with a 2-hand weapon. But if you wear a shield the chance to block an attack goes down.
If you want to train just parry, you could go to the fields in Yew. Gather a few sheeps/dogs/horses and let them hit you. Use only gear you can afford to lose. Like junk armour from ettins or whatever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Uhhh. Stukov you won. I thought, noone would see it. And typed slow :/. Stukov: 1. Riboflavin: 0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Its all good,double help is always better than none =)

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the info :)

I've actually been using a 2-handed axe (that little purple thing in my inven) for the majority of my bushido skilling, but I honestly didn't know that parry chance was lowered with a s/s. I'm really bummed to find out about that actually since sword/shield is the setup I wanted to use mainly :(.

I'd consider dropping bushido for healing or something, but it's so awesome to have in PvE. Even when using a sword/shield, the attack moves and honorable execution really keep me going.

Ah well, I guess I could just be the oddball that uses s/s with bushido.

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Well that is definitely your decision on how you want your character to perform and look,from a practical perspective,if you are to keep bushido,shield is not really an option in combat.You could live without bushido,but its SO useful in PvM,its a pity to strip it away imo.Healing is kind of necesary,unless you run a vampire template,which I wont recomend right now spending a cent on items as conspiracy theorism points its geting the rough end of the nerfbat soon.You can try a clasic yet very powerful template..

120 weaponskill
120 parry
120 bushido
100 tactics
100 anatomy
90 healing (100% chance to heal)
70 chiv (enough for decent chance of EoO,and you can travel around)

thats 720 skill pts,rough and square =) ,if your acount is not old enough consider droping bushido a bit meanwhile you wait...

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Aye, would highly recommend the above set too.
Just as a sidenote... you could also drop chivalery . My template is like the above. Just with 100 healing and 60 chiv. It gives a bonus of 4hitpoints healed. And EoO is needed just so often.
But at the end it's just the same, give or take.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
That's actually pretty much the same spec I was going for, believe it or not. The only difference is I have focus trained instead of healing. But now I'm dropping focus for meditation since I heard it was a lot better. Would it really be better to drop med for healing? Med really seems to help a lot with my mana regen, and with my low int, I can use all the mana regen I can get.

As for bushido and s/s, honestly it seems like it works the same for me. I guess I don't parry quite as much but it still happens pretty often. I'll probably just use both a 2-hander and then a s/s whenever I feel like changing it up. I really don't care about being the best or anything :P.

Thanks for the info guys :).

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Also, I was a little confused about the skill point cap - is 720 the absolute max even with the power scrolls, or can it be increased at some point?

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Absolute max for "real" skills.

Items can take you over 720.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Focus is very easy to replace with even a single piece of armor with mods,in fact its not a skill the vast majority uses as its generaly not that useful.Having focus as means of healing is like having a bus walk over your legs and take an aspirine expecting it to fix it,its not going to happen.You also dont need med,you should aim for a suit of armor that gives you good resists and as much LMC/MR as posible (Lower mana cost / mana regen )DI/DCI (Damage Increase / Defense chance increase) is also important,but is easier to get as many artifacts can give you that.With as low as 20-30 inteligence and a proper suit and weapon you can prety much keep all abilities running.Proper weapon would be somehting that leeches mana,and if posible,hitpoints too,but mana is first priority ,a Soulseeker is a great example of a easy to find and cheap sword that gets job done most of time.(has leeches,its fast as hell,just dont go kill WW with it lol).Later on,you can try to find a more specialized weapon,ornate axes are popular among swordman.If you get hands on one with nice life and mana leech,DI and SSI,your in for some pwnage,but those are not cheap,either way,soulseeker will do the trick for a long time..
As far as using shield with bushido,well as I said its **not** a good idea,you may not look diference when facing an ogre lord maybe,but try to get 4 together at once,or go fight miasma,with a shield with bushido,have a friend near to rez..
Its a matter of geting used to it,try a few days without shield,kill some things,when you see how better it is,you will change your mind.Mount wise,well,swamp dragon is good because of the defense,just use that

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Focus is very easy to replace with even a single piece of armor with mods,in fact its not a skill the vast majority uses as its generaly not that useful.Having focus as means of healing is like having a bus walk over your legs and take an aspirine expecting it to fix it,its not going to happen.You also dont need med,you should aim for a suit of armor that gives you good resists and as much LMC/MR as posible (Lower mana cost / mana regen )DI/DCI (Damage Increase / Defense chance increase) is also important,but is easier to get as many artifacts can give you that.With as low as 20-30 inteligence and a proper suit and weapon you can prety much keep all abilities running.Proper weapon would be somehting that leeches mana,and if posible,hitpoints too,but mana is first priority ,a Soulseeker is a great example of a easy to find and cheap sword that gets job done most of time.(has leeches,its fast as hell,just dont go kill WW with it lol).Later on,you can try to find a more specialized weapon,ornate axes are popular among swordman.If you get hands on one with nice life and mana leech,DI and SSI,your in for some pwnage,but those are not cheap,either way,soulseeker will do the trick for a long time..
As far as using shield with bushido,well as I said its **not** a good idea,you may not look diference when facing an ogre lord maybe,but try to get 4 together at once,or go fight miasma,with a shield with bushido,have a friend near to rez..
Its a matter of geting used to it,try a few days without shield,kill some things,when you see how better it is,you will change your mind.Mount wise,well,swamp dragon is good because of the defense,just use that

Ah ok, I guess I'll go ahead and drop them both. My main problem is that I don't really have any good gear yet so meditation really seems to make a difference for me.

It's funny you should mention the Ogre lords; they're what I've been training with lately :P. I did a little experimenting with both a 2-handed and a s/s, and you're right; there is definitely a difference there. I guess if I really want to use a s/s, I'll just do it with my necro/warrior alt. As for this guy, since 2-handed is the way to go, I'm thinking about switching to maces. Do they seem to work pretty well with this build?

Oh by the way, I wanted to ask about resists: Is pvp really a possibility without resist spells trained? I've heard several people mention that it's a "must have" when fighting mages and such. I don't want to part with any of my other skills, but if it's really necessary I might consider it.

Thanks for all the help :).

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
There was a trick to cast magic trap on a chest and carry several so you could activate one and take a little damage,thus removing paralyze spell from you,but last time I tried,the ´´little magic trap`` turned more into a ´´huge nuclear bomb`` ,I think it has been changed so people dont abuse that and they do so much dmg now you will most likely end killing yourself with it.Id say resist spells is a must on a warrior if youre going to PvP,as soon they find u got none mages will just chain paralyze you to death,option you got is raise resist spells and soulstone it,and switch it for another skill whenever you think youre in for pvm or pvp action.A quick way to this is go New Haven and piss off a few spectral spellbinders then run to the inn,it has a small balcony with stairs so you can just stand there and let the binders debuff you to oblivion while resist skyrockets,just try to do it in non busy times as the ocasional asshat may run by and kill them just for fun.BTW as samurai you still parry with a one hander and no shield,the diference between using 1 or 2h is not that huge,so if you were using say a soulseeker ,your parry chance is still very high,if you use a ornate,its just slightly better,but nowhere as bad as using a shield by any means.Maces,doesnt matter,as long you find a good one,bushido doesnt discriminate weapon types,only one slightly at disadvantage may be archery because you get no bonus from the parry abilities.Plus macing powerscrolls are way cheaper than swords,but finding a good mace is harder than find a sword in most cases..

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Arrg, I guess I should have figured that resist spells was a must =/ bummer.

That soulstone thing sounds really great, but I'm a little confused; isn't it an account specific item that requires a special code from the "Samurai Empire" expansion? Or is there some other way to get it?

Man this is a touch decision; I'm really interested in both PvM and PvP, so I wish there was some kind of Middle-ground, hybrid build that was effective enough in both. I know you said that healing is a must, but if you had enough int and mana regen, wouldn't chiv be good enough for keeping yourself alive on it's own? I was thinking that having resist spells instead of healing might be a decent compromise that could work out in both PvM and PvP. Then again, I still don't know much about the higher end of the game so this is just speculation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drop, err, rare