Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Human vs. Elf... Warrior vs. Mage

- - - - - elf human mage warrior

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bobo

Bobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Probably a very old debate.

I'm making a warrior. Now, I've done as much research I could do on these to see which one is better for a warrior. There are a some advantages and disadvantages, maybe some of you could help me decide? I'm still up in the air.

HUMAN:

(a) Larger Inventory but does he/she hit harder? Weapon damage looks the same.

(B) More endurance? Doesn't look like it. Looks the same as the Elf if the STR is even despite holding more in his/her inventory.

(B) +2 Hit Point Regen. And outright advantage, but doesn't seem to me to be a huge one.

ELF:

(a) +20 Magery. Obviously the big advantage here. More weapon specials and sooner.

Now this is where it gets tough for me. Looking at this, I would pick an ELF over a HUMAN since I would think +20 mana is more important than +2 HP Regen. But are there other advantages?

Does the human hit harder? Is he naturally harder to hit? Is the Elf faster even if dex is the same?

Again, I'm making a warrior. I'd imagine he would be using some Artifacts sooner or later (e.g. Spirit of the Totem) so those would be counted towards making him better.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Are you adding chiv or necro? The extra mana could be a plus if so.

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
and with the JoAT for human you also get mana regen as well as health regen .
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Bobo

Bobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I'm adding Necromancy, pretty sure. The warrior could make use of the mana and hit point regen there. does that sort of cancel out the human even more?

What is JoAT?

P.S. Human /w Necro vs. Elf /w Necro. Both will have a HPRegen and Mana regenerate there.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
JoAT = jack of all trades. You get a passive skill of 20 in everything you don't actually have skill points in.

Bobo

Bobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

JoAT = jack of all trades. You get a passive skill of 20 in everything you don't actually have skill points in.

I'm not sure I still understand. You get a passive +20 in every skill you have 0 in? Just humans only or both?

I'm not even sure what a jack of all trades char would be in UO. I'm aiming at a warrior with some magic. Regeneration (health), speed and damage would be my main targets but I know that weapon specials can make a huge difference, that of course means less DEX or STR and more INT (or mana).

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
JOAT or Jack of All Trades is a HUMAN only characteristic. It means you effectively have 20 skill points in EVERY skill in the game. You have 20 Med, 20 Focus, 20 Skillweaving, etc. etc. This is equivalent to having 3 MR (20 med=2MR, 20 Focus=1MR) in addition the 2 stamina regen from the focus and the hit point regen. As long as you do the quest, you could have 20 Spellweaving, which at least gives you the ability to cast Nature's Fury. You get the +2HPR with human, and although the strength is the same, I'm quite sure you get more hit points as well. For a warrior, I personally would use a human over an elf, and just to put my gold where my mouth is, so to speak, I turned 3 elf warriors into humans....human warriors are far better than elf.

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

JOAT or Jack of All Trades is a HUMAN only characteristic. It means you effectively have 20 skill points in EVERY skill in the game. You have 20 Med, 20 Focus, 20 Skillweaving, etc. etc. This is equivalent to having 3 MR (20 med=2MR, 20 Focus=1MR) in addition the 2 stamina regen from the focus and the hit point regen. As long as you do the quest, you could have 20 Spellweaving, which at least gives you the ability to cast Nature's Fury. You get the +2HPR with human, and although the strength is the same, I'm quite sure you get more hit points as well. For a warrior, I personally would use a human over an elf, and just to put my gold where my mouth is, so to speak, I turned 3 elf warriors into humans....human warriors are far better than elf.

where do you start this quest ?
Posted Image

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Here's the quest line and what you need to do:

http://uo.stratics.c.../elftohuman.php

NOTE!!!!!! When you go to see Sledge in Buc's Den, make SURE you also query him for his quest that requires you to get 10 power crystals. I can't remember the exact quest name, Sledge has a few, but you MUST complete the one that requires you to bring him 10 power crystals. It is integral to the elf to human questline...it is about "ingenuity". Anyway, until you complete that quest with him, you will not be able to finish the conversion. Good luck.

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
oh , i thought you were talking about a Spellweaving quest .....not the human to elf quest .
Posted Image

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
For that you go see the arcanist in Heartwood.

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
aahh , ok , thanx
Posted Image

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Nydon every human char should do the spellweaving quest.

http://www.uoguide.com/Patience_Quest

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
i will see about remeding<sp> that this weekend ....lol
Posted Image

Bobo

Bobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
So the passive skills have them automatically. So I can pick up a Spellweaving book, have 0 in Spellweaving, do the quest and then cast that spell anyway?

It's innate? No special skill.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

So the passive skills have them automatically. So I can pick up a Spellweaving book, have 0 in Spellweaving, do the quest and then cast that spell anyway?

It's innate? No special skill.

Yes, anything with a zero (0.0) base skill will automatically get an invisible +20.0 bump.

Example- A human character can use forensic evaluation on his corpse with zero skill; one simply makes sure to lock the skill to prevent it from raising, and uses it- then said character could determine what or who looted him or messed with his body, and "re-acquire" his goods.

Example 2- Going AFK in a crazy place temporarily, but longer than invis spell lasts, and got no hiding?

Jam your hiding skill button until the 20 invisible points finally kicks in and lets you hide.

Jack of All Trades bonus is quite useful on human characters, which probably explains my lack of elves.=)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: elf, human, mage, warrior