Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Serious question...is UO worth going to at this point?

- - - - - point questionis serious uo worth

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Knightlock

Knightlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
First of all I am quite serious about the above question and yes I am aware that I will need to try the game. That set aside I guess what I mean by the question is this...is there enough of a population to keep the game alive?

I have been playing WOW for while but am tired of it and wish to move to something else. The only problem is that my graphics card is not going to handle AOC or Warhammer. So I am wondering if UO is a game to consider.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

THanks!

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
With an upcoming expansion announced then I would say yes. If you live on the East Coast give Atlantic a try!

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

First of all I am quite serious about the above question and yes I am aware that I will need to try the game. That set aside I guess what I mean by the question is this...is there enough of a population to keep the game alive?

I have been playing WOW for while but am tired of it and wish to move to something else. The only problem is that my graphics card is not going to handle AOC or Warhammer. So I am wondering if UO is a game to consider.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

THanks!

Well, I do think it is worth. At least a try. And you could open a trail account. Which wont cost you anything.
I don't know much about how many people you need to keep a game running. Or how many people are still gaming UO. But on the server Europa there is still a living community of players.
As most of these new games have beautifull eye-candy UO builds much more on complexity, freedom and immersion, imho. Just take a look at the list of new things coming in with the next pub(lish). Gardening... where else can you do this? Well, than rl. New house decos.
And for the future there is a new add-on lurking out.
I remember when EQ1 (back then just EQ) came out a many people said this is the death of UO. Well, a lot of mmorpgs entered the stage of the gaming world. Alot of them left. But UO is still there and doing a great job.
Give it a try :). And see why some people stick to it like there is no other.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Yes. It's drastically different than WoW, that's certain. There is no end game, there is no leveling, and no set template. You can be any set of skills you want to be, up to a max of 700 (720 when your account is old enough). You don't have to gain in certain skills to be a crafter. You don't have to craft anything at all if you want. There is housing. The differences are too numerous to list.

Depending on which shard you go on, the population differs. I'll invite you to visit Pacific if you are in the US, but we have people in my guild from Europe and Australia too. It depends on what times you can play.

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
To me...... I would never play WoW...... Why it doesn't offer half of what UO offers..... Yes there is a decline in people playing ..... but I think you find that anywhere you go... and currently for me things are a bit on the slow side.. but I defiantly still log in still have fun..... and still LOVE UO. I play on GL just incase your wondering. I won't say any one shard is better or worse than anyother..... though if your new I would avoid playing on Siege or Mugen at least for awhile.... So at any rate.... Worst that can happen is you try UO and don't like it.... certainly isn't for everyone..... Any questions feel free to ask them here and I'm sure many of us will answer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Knightlock, I would say yes. Just from the fact that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. The game has kept me satisified for nearly 11 years now.

If you want to take your brand new character to the hardest dungeon out there, you can, you will not last long but you can go there without restrictions.

Lets be blunt, the graphics suck (compared to todays newer games)- you if you are into graphics, UO is not for you.

Also you going to need to find a shard with the most people on it. Atlantic is a good bet. I would also suggest my home shard of Lake Superior, there is a great group of players that hold weekly events for players of all types and abilities. Though finding a shard depends on where you live and the time zone you are in.

I say give it a shot. If you can find a 9th anniversary edition box this will give you access to all current expansions. If not you going to have to download it, which can be a hassle. EA is terrible with their downloads, many people have problems.

Also understand that EA is going to require a credit card, even for your free trial, They charge you 1 dollar, just to make sure your CC is good and it will be credited back, if you decide to cancel before your trial ends. If you do not cancel (or forget too) they start charging you the monthly fee.

One more thing about EA - they do not replace any items from your account should you get scammed in game or if your account gets hacked. So if you decide to play do not ever give out your password. As far as customer service goes, forget it, it has to been the worst in the enitre gaming industry. If you enjoy talking to a call center in India, with people who have no idea what UO is. Go ahead and call them.

Now I am not trying to scare you off. Far from it, UO is a great game, it is just the other out of game bs that gives players quite a few headaches. So welcome aboard, just be a little cautious.

glad you found this forum. Any other questions? Many friendly and knowledgable players of UO here, willing and ready to answer them.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Having played for almost 11 years myself, recently our guild has been growing here on Chesapeake with many returning vets who have slumbered for years and years. The community is going strong and as others have said with an expansion coming now would be a good time to get your feet wet. Any shard you choose will definately have people willing to help and answer any questions you may have to get you on your way. In the world of UO you can be anything you want to be from a simple begger, a smelly orc or a victorious warrior.

I offer you an open invitation to come visit us and have a tour of our Statehood and what Chesapeake has to offer.

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
You may find the results of this poll helpful in answering your question ;)

Vast majority of the folks here would apparently say yes!

McBykar

McBykar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any UO addict will tell you that UO is worth playing. Some facts and objective opinions:

• The population of UO is stagnating. There have hardly been any new players in 2008. We know, as we watch New Haven closely.
  • However, veteran players keep returning to UO. Many of them come back because the other MMORPGs (especially WoW) didn't meet their expectations.
  • UO has a lot of content and depth, and a certain complexity, so it doesn't get boring.
  • UO is a community game. Although you can play very well by yourself (and unfortunately many choose to do so), the most fun you will have when joining a community (a guild).
  • Think about joining a role playing community. There are guilds out there who are quite tolerant about role playing newcomers (it isn't that serious as it sounds). These guilds focus more on events and fun, than on items and monster-bashing.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
i would say give it a try

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I think its a good time to try it with the announcement of the upcoming expansion,raising a character in UO is fun imo because there are no level restricitons and things like that,with that said doesnt mean you can go try to kill a peerles with 20 swordmansip and a set of ringmail,but you dont have that feeling of being left behind when others are level 50.000 and you are still in backyard killing rats.Id say try,and dont rush,enjoy it,and by the time you notice it,youl have a whole new expansion to try again.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I would never tell anyone UO wasnt worth playing.It is the oldest game out there of its genre,and the experience of playing it is a unique one for each player,depending on what you want to take from it.

I would definately say yes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
The wife and I have played for over 9 years and we still love it. There are just to many things to do. If u get tired of doing something u just go to a different charater and do something else. With 5 character slots u can have several different types of skills and do alot of different things. I am on Atlantic in an Alliance, which is several guilds joined together. We are fairly active and on any given day or night u can always find someone to help you or go hunt with you or just to talk. If u happen to come into Atlantic feel free to pm me. Any in our alliance will be willing to answer any question or help you out.
Also this forum is very helpful and there are some great people on here who will be glad to help u out. What's the harm in checking it out, like they said u can get a free trial and see what ya think

Posted Image

gryphonuo

gryphonuo

LORD GRYPHON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
give it a try it is free might get hooked.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Yes.

http://www.gamesindu.../warhammer-time

-Galen's player

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Yes.

http://www.gamesindu.../warhammer-time

-Galen's player

.... We still handle Ultima Online which is a ten year-old MMO property that's about 100,000 subscribers and is still wildly profitable.

I love that quote.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Knightlock

Knightlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The wife and I have played for over 9 years and we still love it. There are just to many things to do. If u get tired of doing something u just go to a different charater and do something else. With 5 character slots u can have several different types of skills and do alot of different things. I am on Atlantic in an Alliance, which is several guilds joined together. We are fairly active and on any given day or night u can always find someone to help you or go hunt with you or just to talk. If u happen to come into Atlantic feel free to pm me. Any in our alliance will be willing to answer any question or help you out.
Also this forum is very helpful and there are some great people on here who will be glad to help u out. What's the harm in checking it out, like they said u can get a free trial and see what ya think

What is your handle?

~Belle~

~Belle~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I love UO. I love how there is no end to the game and there is no leveling of characters. I can change my characters skills at any given time and its all new again. I like the new expansion coming out and i'm excited to hear all the cool stuff. I've played since 2001 and yes I did quit for a short period and then I came back and I'm having a blast. =)

So yea, I would give UO a shot anyday!
Posted Image

Knightlock

Knightlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the advice. I decided to give the game a try and so far it seems pretty good. I just need to know how to do I get in the a guild. Right now I am playing on two servers great lakes and atlantic. Which is better?

THanks!

IronHorse

IronHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give the game a try and so far it seems pretty good. I just need to know how to do I get in the a guild. Right now I am playing on two servers great lakes and atlantic. Which is better?

THanks!

I would think that both of those shards would offer you a good flavor for the game.
That is another attractive asspect of UO is you can develop chars across many of the shards,your not confined to just one shard except for house ownership.
Take your time,create chars on a few shards, get a feel for the game and then if you decide its a game that you would want to immerse yourself in, well begin shopping for a shard and group of players that you enjoy and earn abit of gold to build a house.
I caution you however that even with its out of date graphics UO can be a very addictive game.
Like others have pointed out at the present time we are seeing an influx of returning players which isn't at all uncommon. People play for a year or two then put their accounts on hold while they explore other games and then return to the one that really has the most diversity in the depth of your paticular gamestyle.
If you ever take a notion to explore Lake Superior please feel free to give me a shout,we have an extensive Alliance with a great number of player who love to help out someone just coming into UO.
Good Luck and I hope you enjoy the game so many of us love.
-IronHorse
GM Forge of Virtue
Governor of Trinsic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: point, questionis, serious, uo, worth