Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Which consoles were the Ultima games made for?

- - - - - consoles games made ultima

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I'm not sure if this is ok in the general section, but since it relates to Ultima, I figured I'd take my chances :P. If it needs to be moved to OT though, no worries.

I've been having some credit card troubles during the last few days, so now that my free trial period is over, I won't be able to log in for a little while.

So, since I won't be able to play the online version right now, I was thinking this would be the perfect time to play the original Ultima games and maybe get a better understanding of the story and lore behind the world.

With all of that said, I wanted to make sure that I start with the very first and make sure that I have them all. I managed to find 5 Ultima games for the NES, 1 for the Sega Master System (I would have never guessed lol), and 4 for the SNES. And I think I have a disc floating around for a PC version of Ultima. So, am I missing anything? And is the first for the NES (Called "Exodus") the actual first Ultima game ever made? I just want to make sure that I start with the very first so I don't get confused :P.

If any of you Ultima guru's could educate me about this stuff, I'd really appreciate it :).
"I'm no longer young enough to know everything."

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I'm not sure if this is ok in the general section, but since it relates to Ultima, I figured I'd take my chances :P. If it needs to be moved to OT though, no worries.

I've been having some credit card troubles during the last few days, so now that my free trial period is over, I won't be able to log in for a little while.

So, since I won't be able to play the online version right now, I was thinking this would be the perfect time to play the original Ultima games and maybe get a better understanding of the story and lore behind the world.

With all of that said, I wanted to make sure that I start with the very first and make sure that I have them all. I managed to find 5 Ultima games for the NES, 1 for the Sega Master System (I would have never guessed lol), and 4 for the SNES. And I think I have a disc floating around for a PC version of Ultima. So, am I missing anything? And is the first for the NES (Called "Exodus") the actual first Ultima game ever made? I just want to make sure that I start with the very first so I don't get confused :P.

If any of you Ultima guru's could educate me about this stuff, I'd really appreciate it :).

The Wikipedia article lists some console versions:

Ultima (video game series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I always just played them on a computer.

There was also this thing:

Amazon.com: Ultima Collection: Software

Which was games 1 through 8 (9 was available separately).

But to play them right you needed to use this DOS program called Moslo or something......It compensated for the difference between processor speeds when these games were new (extremely slow) versus now (frightfully fast beyond all comprehension). EA apparently being too damn lazy to re-work the programs themselves.

And manipulating that DOS program was was a royal pain in the ass.

-Galen's player

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks a lot Galen :). Man, that's a bummer about the DOS program; I'd be too afraid to mess with anything like that. I'm hoping maybe the games I found on the consoles are the same versions as the PC, but who knows =/.

Oh well, I think I've found enough to keep me busy for awhile anyway :). Thanks again.

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
The "real" Ultima games all came out on the PC, any console versions may or may not be horribly butchered.

The Ultima Collection mentioned above works just fine on Windows XP, no need for any special tweaking really except you should get the free Exult program to run all parts of Ultima VII (easy proggie, actually makes playing nicer than before thanks to higher resolutions).

The Wiki surely has all the info, but anyhoo, technically the first Ultima was called Akalabeth, which later after some tweaking became Ultima I. Ultima II would be Revenge of the Enchantress, and Exodus is Ultima III.

Personally I'd recommend especially all parts of Ultima VII, just about the best games ever =)

Posted Image

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

The "real" Ultima games all came out on the PC, any console versions may or may not be horribly butchered.

The Ultima Collection mentioned above works just fine on Windows XP, no need for any special tweaking really except you should get the free Exult program to run all parts of Ultima VII (easy proggie, actually makes playing nicer than before thanks to higher resolutions).

The Wiki surely has all the info, but anyhoo, technically the first Ultima was called Akalabeth, which later after some tweaking became Ultima I. Ultima II would be Revenge of the Enchantress, and Exodus is Ultima III.

Personally I'd recommend especially all parts of Ultima VII, just about the best games ever =)

Thanks Adrianna :) I'd buy the collection in a heart-beat, but I'm not exactly in the best financial situation atm :P. At least I know that it'll work if I ever do decide to buy it though.

So far, Exodus on my NES emulator actually looks pretty well-done, so no complaints so far. I only wish I could find the first two for it as well =/. I thought I had read that they had been released on Atari or the colecovision, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'll have to keep snooping around :).

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
wow , never thought about playing the old versions , i knew there were some just nhever thought about getting them . so i am now looking into buying and playing them myself . thanx for the idea and all the great info !!
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Glad this sparked some interest for you too Nydon :).

I just wanted to say to anyone considering this collection, that I managed to try a few of the PC versions and just as Galen said, they don't seem to like modern computers too much lol. They go completely haywire. It might just be my dual-core processor causing the problem though.

More importantly though, after comparing them, I'd advice the console versions anyway. They seem to have updated graphics, as well as great music. You won't be able to play the very first two though =/.

Anyway, if any of you feel like trying to console versions, just let me know and I'll explain to you how it all works :).

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
You're right, the first Ultimas are pretty damn ancient and I haven't been able to bring myself to play through Ultimas I-III because of that... Ultima IV and V are a bit better already, but still rather crappy graphics- and interface-wise...

Ultima VI has some more graphics already, and Ultima VII is very decent already. Ultima VIII: Pagan is very different gameplay-wise (crappier plot, more platform-hopping), but I still enjoyed it mostly. And Ultima IX is full-on 3D, plot-wise controversial, but I enjoyed that one too despite the non-canonical approach to some matters.

I can only hope the console versions are accurate, since I know for a fact that at least Ultima VII: The Black Gate on the Nintendo is a horrible bastardization of the original, magnificent game. It's nothing like the original.

Posted Image

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
well , after posting i went to look at ordering them , and $139 for a box set of games i dont know will work is a bit much , so i will have to go though other means to get em . will start looking around some of the older gameing stores in the area .
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

You're right, the first Ultimas are pretty damn ancient and I haven't been able to bring myself to play through Ultimas I-III because of that... Ultima IV and V are a bit better already, but still rather crappy graphics- and interface-wise...

Ultima VI has some more graphics already, and Ultima VII is very decent already. Ultima VIII: Pagan is very different gameplay-wise (crappier plot, more platform-hopping), but I still enjoyed it mostly. And Ultima IX is full-on 3D, plot-wise controversial, but I enjoyed that one too despite the non-canonical approach to some matters.

I can only hope the console versions are accurate, since I know for a fact that at least Ultima VII: The Black Gate on the Nintendo is a horrible bastardization of the original, magnificent game. It's nothing like the original.

Yeah, I was having a hard time getting into the first ones. I wasn't able to find an explanation for the controls anywhere so I had to wing it myself. Plus I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do exactly.

IV and V are definitely much better, at least as far as playability goes, so I've gotten a ways into them already. But so far, I've enjoyed VI the most. I like the humor in it and it feels a lot more like Ultima Online than the others (just the look of it, and the way you can pick up almost anything). I haven't tried VII yet though.

Keep in mind these were all the console versions, so I'm not sure how far they stray the path compared to the real ones =/. I'll definitely take your word for it and play VII on the PC vs. the console lol :).

deadite

deadite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ultima IV is freeware now, so that should definitely fit your budget. Just search for "Ultima IV Download" and you'll get lots of links.

Someone also redid the tiles for the game and made them 256 color VGA. They are really nice (compared to the original).

http://www.moongates...ade/Upgrade.htm

Ultima VII & Serpent Isle are the absolute pinnacle of Ultima games. Exult is an awesome project to make them playable on Windows. Sadly, these games are not freeware, but you may be able to get them cheap if you keep your eyes peeled.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Well, I was actually able to find quite a few of them for free. I normally wouldn't even think of resorting to something like that, but it was on one of the first google pages that I came across when searching for it so I figured some of them were considered freeware now, just like the one you mentioned.

Ultimately (no pun intended :P), I'm glad I got to try them first because, much to my dismay, only about 2 of them even run on my computer at all. I blame the dual-core processors =/. I may have to see about getting one of those DOS programs, but I'm not really sure what to look for. You mentioned something about, "Exult"?

So far though, after comparing the two, VI for the PC and the SNES are about identical, and the SNES version seems a lot more polished and streamlined if you can believe it. So aside from having to use a gamepad versus a mouse, I'm really enjoying it so far. I do feel bad about skipping so many of the first games though, however. I just need to figure out how to get them to work.

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Exult is sort of a launching program which allows you to play Ultima VII parts 1 and 2 on a Windows-based PC. Just download the Exult program, run it, tell it where on your computer the Ultima VII games are located and off you go into some majorly immersive roleplaying =)

Just to be clear, you do need the original Ultima VII games still, Exult is merely a launch proggie to get them to work on modern machines.

My 'puter is old, not ancient, but old. Running on Win XP Pro with an Athlon XP processor, and the old Ultimas from the Ultima collection run fine... so dunno what the deal is there. Maybe it is the dual-core thing. IMHO you're not missing much though, Ultimas I - III were kinda crappy storywise and the Britannia you and I love really started to take shape from UIV onwards.

Posted Image

deadite

deadite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I believe U4 is the only legal freeware Ultima out there. Maybe Akalabeth, but I'm not sure. I could be wrong, but I don't remember them ever opening up anything other than IV. Anything else you find online could be considered copyright theft.

As for Ultima 6, the *best* version is the FM-Towns version released in Japan. It's very, very hard to find but it has full speech recorded by the Origin developers themselves. Really cool, and really bad acting to boot. ;)

I agree that the SNES version of U6 is fun though.

Oh, and I would recommend playing Lazarus to get your Ultima 5 fix. If you have a copy of Dungeon Siege, you are set to play!

http://lazarus.plane...ge.gamespy.com/

deadite

deadite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
If U4 doesn't play nice on your system, try XU4.

http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

I agree that you can skip 1-3 if you want, they are mostly hack 'n slash games. Ultima 4 begins forming the "real" Britannia.

So play XU4, then Lazarus, then SNES U6, then Exult U7/Serpent Isle... I would even say you could skip U8 and U9... they were pretty lousy additions to the Ultima line, though some would disagree.

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Exult is sort of a launching program which allows you to play Ultima VII parts 1 and 2 on a Windows-based PC. Just download the Exult program, run it, tell it where on your computer the Ultima VII games are located and off you go into some majorly immersive roleplaying =)

Just to be clear, you do need the original Ultima VII games still, Exult is merely a launch proggie to get them to work on modern machines.

My 'puter is old, not ancient, but old. Running on Win XP Pro with an Athlon XP processor, and the old Ultimas from the Ultima collection run fine... so dunno what the deal is there. Maybe it is the dual-core thing. IMHO you're not missing much though, Ultimas I - III were kinda crappy storywise and the Britannia you and I love really started to take shape from UIV onwards.

Sounds great :) Judging by what you've told me, and by everything I've read while looking around the net, I've seriously gotta play this game :P. I'm glad a program like this exists to make it possible. And yeah, I had a feeling the first few didn't have much of a story line, so no worries there; I'll just skip those.

Thanks again for all the info Adrianna.

I believe U4 is the only legal freeware Ultima out there. Maybe Akalabeth, but I'm not sure. I could be wrong, but I don't remember them ever opening up anything other than IV. Anything else you find online could be considered copyright theft.

As for Ultima 6, the *best* version is the FM-Towns version released in Japan. It's very, very hard to find but it has full speech recorded by the Origin developers themselves. Really cool, and really bad acting to boot. ;)

I agree that the SNES version of U6 is fun though.

Oh, and I would recommend playing Lazarus to get your Ultima 5 fix. If you have a copy of Dungeon Siege, you are set to play!

http://lazarus.plane...ge.gamespy.com/

Ah, it figures the version I find would be considered illegit =/. Well, I don't really plan on playing it anyway, so no worries.

Ha, that sounds awesome - I can't imagine how bad the sound quality must be on the voice part though lol. I'd likely play it for the laughs alone =).

No complaints yet :).

Wow, that's crazy - it's U4 made with the Dungeon siege editor?! Is it actually the complete story and everything? It just so happens that I have an old copy of Dungeon Siege laying around somewhere; I'll have to check that out.

Thanks again Deadite.

Guest_Doomsday Dragon_*

Guest_Doomsday Dragon_*
  • Guests
You could always get exult and pentagram for ultima 7 and 8 to run on a modern system with enhanced features added to them.

There are also programs that allow these games to run on a modern system such as u8win9x (works on xp maybe vista) and I know there was another I think for u7 with a similar name u7win9x?

I have used each of these in the past to play the older PC versions and each is easy to use and better than MOSLO for running these games.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Speaking of advertising and promoting UO...

...I always thought the best way to promote UO is to create a new single player game. All you have to do is get people interested in the Ultima universe. Maybe then, they can forgive a lot of UO's flaws (and old wrinkles).

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I just had to give my thoughts on something *tries to conceal his laughter while he types*.

I think I may have just experienced the most hilarious (and just plain sad *sad isn't even a good enough word for it though, honestly*) addition to a video game series to date.

This entire time, I couldn't understand why one of the games in the Ultima series that I found for the snes (Runes of Virtue 2) wasn't originally on the PC platform. Well, I soon figured it out - I was bored earlier today, so I decided to give it a try. I'm not exaggerating here when I say that was probably the most hilariously bad game (or atleast bad intro) I think I've ever played in my life. In all fairness, I didn't even play for 10 minutes before almost dying of laughter. The beginning of the game is just plain laughable.

Just a little run-down - You pick from four of the main characters from some of the other games, and one female character that I'm not familiar with; yup that's right, no answering questions, or creating your own character like you'd expect. Then you're taken to a scene with the black knight who is "bored", so he decides to go and kidnap Lord Tholden (he even uses the word Kidnap haha). After he's done "wringing his hands menacingly" (as I envision him anyway :P), he creates a portal, instantly finds Tholden, and throws him in a cell. After that, someone tells Lord British what happened, he then says, "We must summon the Avatar to save him." At this point, you're expecting to be taken to a scene with the Avatar at his home where he sees the portal pop up, swaps some dialogue with himself, and enters it. Wrong! Nope, we're not doing it like that. The Avatar has obviously been ready for action for an indefinate amount of time, armor clad and all, right at the empty portal spot just waiting for Lord British's summon, because as soon as British gives the word, he pops through the portal. I pretty much had to turn it off right after that part lol; it was just too much.

I guess what really makes it so bad is how quickly it goes from one thing to another with no good reason or direction. I feel as though I'm reading dialogue written by a grade school student. I mean, I can understand things being a bit more rushed since it was on the snes platform, but give me a break lol.

I advise any of you that wants a good laugh, to download an snes emulator (znes is my choice) and download that game.

I seriously can't figure out why Origin would have even signed for the game. Then again, maybe it's better later on when you get somewhat into it? If the rest of the game is anything like the beginning, I don't think I have the stomach for it :P.

Norman Bates

Norman Bates

Manager, Bates Motel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I played [and still have] Ultima 1-6 on my good old Commodore 64:]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consoles, games, made, ultima