Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Skill gain / Talisman

- - - - - gain skill talisman

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Veldrane

Veldrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
When I'm training up skills, does having a talisman equipped make a difference in the skill gains? I.E. having a talisman with a tailoring bonuns while training tailoring adjusts the difficulty of the item I'm making, thus slowing the skill gain.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
If you have the talisman on you have to adjust your base slighlty higher to stay in the optimum range.

So the answer is yes and no.

No slower, if you make something slightly higher in skill level than you normally would.

Yes slower, if you continue to make things in your base skill level.

If in doubt ... only wear the talisman when crafting for exceptional bonuses or better chances for enhancement and remove the talisman when you are skill gaining.

Veldrane

Veldrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Awesome, thanks Elffys! I thought maybe I was running into that issue, but I wasn't 100% for sure.

Guest_athos_uo_*

Guest_athos_uo_*
  • Guests

When I'm training up skills, does having a talisman equipped make a difference in the skill gains? I.E. having a talisman with a tailoring bonuns while training tailoring adjusts the difficulty of the item I'm making, thus slowing the skill gain.

No. Equipping talismans has nothing to do with gaining skills.

Cf. my articles.
- The Talisman bonus and the skill gain
- The difference of the chance of skill gain between success and failure in making items by crafting

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Whoops.

Thanks for the clarity.

Veldrane

Veldrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

No. Equipping talismans has nothing to do with gaining skills.

Cf. my articles.
- The Talisman bonus and the skill gain
- The difference of the chance of skill gain between success and failure in making items by crafting

Excellent, thanks for the info and the data!

Guest_athos_uo_*

Guest_athos_uo_*
  • Guests
Sorry, I must add one thing - this is a hypothesis induced from my experiments.

It was once otherwise explained in FoF(April 20, 2007):

"Does equipping a +success chance talisman change your rate of skill gain?"
For difficulty-based skills, including the crafting skills, it does - it can actually affect it either way. Your skill gain in these skills is dependent on your success chance for each action - you have a better chance of gaining if the action is neither too easy nor too hard. So anything that changes that chance of success, including talismans and +skill jewelry, will change the rate at which you gain skill.

FoF:April 20, 2007

This explanation was against my results and I thought devs were mistaken and posted it on Stratics. Jeremy replied to me that my results be a statistical error.

Stratics supports devs explanation.

Japanese players believes us(I and another player did tests separately and got the same results).

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Right or wrong ... your statistics and presentation was very astute, and appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gain, skill, talisman