Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A word of Warning...[Is this EA gone too far ?]

- - - - - ea warningis word

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Again, I agree with Gnomy...the devs have said repeatedly that items can be "traced" with their individual numbers...anyone sitting on a boatload of a particular item with the same ID number is going to be suspect. The fact that houses were demolished pretty much instantly says that they were quite convinced about the evidence. Jeremy's post on the news said that they KNEW the one player claiming "innocence" had 160+ duped items...sorry, but that is at least marginally damning in testimony. Bottom line, they said a few items won't be an issue, but when you have 25+ (no FIRM number given here) of a duped item, you are going to be exiting the game on a permanent basis.

Ceridwen

Ceridwen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Personally, I think it also depends if you actually have more than one item with the same item ID - like three or four dupes of the same item - and not just that ie one brsk and an apple (or whatever else) are dupes of ones someone else ownes.

Tancred, you're right. I didn't even get any help when I handed in a note from Casca to Ulrich and all Ulrich did was look at me... (=no 25k check)... just a canned response about not getting my items back.
I really wish they could do more about such stuff...
When it comes to running, some are just legendary at birth, and others never learn, I'm sorry to say. - Lady Hester Tarian

Being legendary in running doesn't always help someone like me who is also legendary in dying.

Arquestian

Arquestian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well I will say this. I have been gaming for 18+ years, and played most games available at some point or another. This is always how this ordeal unfolds. If you start monitoring players for words said like the "D" word, and people start getting banned...

Or if Jeremy and his lynch mob don't come forth and make a strong statement advising that these "innocents" are guilty of actually cheating, and not just using a word that has nothing to do with anything...people will start leaving in droves. No one likes to be monitored constantly, and cheating shouldn't be allowed, but banning over speaking shows that the team doing it is lazy and has no idea what they are doing. Don't expect them to be working much longer, or getting a job elsewhere, the industry (I work in it) is VERY unforgiving with this type of total failure.

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
I can fully understand the banning of someone who owns multiple same items with the same item number. The chances of having bought or received all of them legitimately, with no knowledge of their duplicity, is very remote, in my mind. However, the alleged bannings over the use of "dupe", a harmless word (by harmless, I mean: does it offend a nationality, race, creed, or religious group? Or more importantly, does the use of said word threaten lives or national security?) is over-the-top. I suppose, if the allegations are true, we can expect bannings for the use of words like "xerox", "copy", "duplicate", "facsimile", "replica", "clone", or any other synonym for the transitive-verb form of "dupe". Please, EA, prove our fears of an anti-free-speech nazi regime unfounded.

As always, just my two shillings...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Unfortunately u are only getting one side of the story here. You will never know EA's side.

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
and therein lies the rub...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Dupe - one that is easily deceived or cheated....

aye ban them dupes! *snikkers*

i'm sorry but there are alot out there who could have bought them without knowing not everyone is "up" on all the prices specially the way this economy is.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Senvilan

Senvilan

The Star Gazer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Well, I've recently been planning to give UO a try again, and although I have next-to-no experience with the game, I thought I'd give my own perspective on this situation as a new player.

In all honesty, I cannot believe that any reputable gaming company(s) would do something as horrible as this to an honest player. I understand that we haven't heard the other side of the story, but seriously, is it really likely that she was part of some duping scandal or something of that sort? She seems to have enough friends and guild followers defending her to make any allegation like that doubtful.

With that said, if the mere utterance of a word like "dupe" is cause enough for a permaban/account termination, then I have seriously lost a lot of respect for the company(s) running this game, and I'm reluctant to even try the game now for fear of suffering the same fate one day. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time she must have spent on her character/characters, and to have all of that destroyed for no good reason at all is just despicable.

As far as the other argument goes, about players being banned for owning duped items, I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree with that as well. Don't get me wrong; if the player is a well-known duper, and it can be proven without a doubt, then by all means they should be perma-banned. But conversely, if the player is just an honest, unsuspecting individual who just happened to unknowingly buy a few duped items from someone they thought trustworthy and are then themselves banned for owning the said duped items, well... that's just plain wrong in my book.

Take me for example: I'm a brand new player in an enormous world, one of which I know absolutely nothing about, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the economy and prices of items. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a legitimate item or a duped item if my life depended on it. Of course, as I get closer to the upper stages of the game, I'll undoubtedly learn the market a bit more, but I don't have enough faith in myself to learn every nook and cranny of the UO economy. I've never done that in any game to be honest :P. I play to play, not to hound over which price looks the most legitimate.

Anyway, my point is, if the game has gotten to the point where innocent people are being banned for merely uttering a certain word, or for owning a duped item, one of which they had no idea was duped, then I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort.

I've always thought UO was/is and amazing game, and I definitely intend to play through the free trial at least, but I honestly hope that they find a better way to deal with these delicate situations.

With all of that said, if everything that was discussed is true, I sincerely hope for the best for Damia and anyone else who’s been falsely punished for something so trivial and I hope they are given the proper reparations and a BIG apology.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I guess we will never know the full story,as EA have not given any details of the reasons individual players accounts were terminated.

The total was around 150 accounts though and that would be a LOT of mistakes to make from a financial perspective.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
Here's another thing: with the problem with "dupes" and pricing going hand-in-hand (dupers want to offload the duped items quickly, so common perception is that they sell the item below market value), how is one supposed to know if an item is underpriced? EA has said the programs that make certain shopping sites possible are illegal, so without the use of these sites (most players know the sites I am referring to) how would one know an item was underpriced unless he/she first rode the whole of Sosaria and checked each and every vendor for the item they wanted to purchase?

When I find an item at a good value, I tend to check the bank, then purchase said item if it is on my list of "I want it, I want it, I gotta gotta have it" items. Obviously, if I came across a crimmy selling for a mill, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, but if it was priced 1 mill under the average market price, and I had the funds available for it? (Which, btw, I don't...:().

Anyway, my point is this: Without being allowed to use such shopping sites, the average player is not going to know what is the correct price for an item, period. And in not knowing, they expose themselves to liars, cheats, and frauds.

Just my two shillings...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Abby

Abby

Misunderstood Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Arioch, you are unsavory - you need more salt & a little pepper.

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Arioch, you are unsavory - you need more salt & a little pepper.

Yeah, I made a post a little bit ago about our dear Adam, (jokingly, of course, hehe) and he slapped me. The force is strong with that one, as you can see! One slap, and his karma-saber slashed me all the way down to "Unsavory". Geesh... lol Word of warning to everyone: Beware the Karma-Saber of Darth Adam!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

ehb

ehb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
In truth, if only 150 accounts got banned, thats nothing compared to the number of subscribers there is across all the shards.

As for Damia, sorry, but I do not know you in real life and cannot accept the fact that you did not have duped items in an amount that drew EA's axe. No one but you knew what you did or did not have in your bank box, locked chest that only you had access, ect. You can say your innocent but as mentioned, some one had said that said they was innocent had in fact 150+ dubed items. Nor is it hard to get a few to come to a forum and say your not guilty.

What EA should be looking at is stopping players from selling items on E-Bay and on other sites. Without any means of making real money on game items, there will be no need to dupe anything. Example "Player dupes 150 XX item. Player sells item in game for 2.5 mil. Now that nets in game 375mil. Sell 10 mil @ $9.99 (or what ever going rates are) and that will net the player almost $370 (real money). Now the duping player has no reason not to dupe and EA is just as much at fault for allowing the sales for real money.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
I don't think EBay allows the sale of online game items anymore, with one exception.

You have to sell a physical item and throw the online items in as free gifts.

I have seen someone sell an old UO CD and then say 'Oh and by the way this CD comes with a free 10 year account ... '

The big sellers don't keep stock on there anymore ... or I am looking in wrong place and my 'search FU' is no good. *hangs head in shame*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea, warningis, word