Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A word of Warning...[Is this EA gone too far ?]

- - - - - ea warningis word

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

In the end, they have the right to refuse service and, in fact, shut the entire game down if they decided to.

Absolutely true.

However, there's a world of difference between 'having a right' to do something, and it being 'the right thing to do'.

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
i am no expert , but i tend to agree with Muu Bin , in that this does not bode well for the life of UO , i hope i am wrong . i dont see this have a possitive effect on any portion of the game , new players , returning old players , the ecconomy , or even the social aspect of the game . buy like i said , i HOPE i am wrong .
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Ceridwen

Ceridwen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

This is just the thing... all honest players? Who are they then? Like the guy that wrote open letter to EA demanding he was innocent? and then Jeremy comes out and tells he had 140+ duped items... Not so innocent. Hence why i dont trust the "honest" players who got banned.

There is a reason behind it. Any "honest" player who got banned for duping, surely bought more than 15+ duped items... then IMO that person does exactly so much harm as the duper himself. Since this person trades it out in UO world and destroys the economy for own benefits.

May I ask where you saw that?
(just curious...)
When it comes to running, some are just legendary at birth, and others never learn, I'm sorry to say. - Lady Hester Tarian

Being legendary in running doesn't always help someone like me who is also legendary in dying.

Degerdi

Degerdi

Waiting to steal your monacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

What I'm funding very amusing is the silence from the folks who were calling for this years ago. Where are the "way to go Mythic!" posts?

-Galen's player

i think the subject is sort of touchy, im sure people would love to praise them but risk upsetting the natural balance of playerhood
Curses! Who stole my monacle? :mycry:

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

May I ask where you saw that?
(just curious...)

From news forums

A runic? No. Two or three? Naw. Thirty? Probably, yeah.

I'm not going to give a specific number for the dupers to use to game the system, but it's high enough that most casual players won't hit it. The "innocent" guy who emailed me over the weekend had 160 or so duped items. Not so innocent. eh?

For the people asking for a list - it depends on the actual dupe. Some only work on specific items, some work on just about anything. The latter kind we can't very well warn you about. I suspect runics were the new hotness this time around because of the buff they got last winter.

E. Jeremy Dalberg, Mythic Entertainment www.uoherald.com

Posted Image

Degerdi

Degerdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
hotness? lol

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Again - I'll wait to hear from the team. I sincerely hope there was something more behind the guildhouse wipe than just chatting.

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

Email sent to: jdalberg@ea.com

And I really think one of you at EA needs to respond to this. This isn't fricken 1942 Nazi Germany.

http://www.uoforums....-too-far-51254/

Love to see what you all have to say because then I'll know EA is just trying to destroy Ultima Online or made a big OPPS!

And also I could give a lick about your confidentiality clause

Oh and dont worry about me if they ban my account for that email then I can finaly quit UO after ten years LoL.

Gareth, I know you, as well as many, many other people are frustrated by recent developments and are very concerned about the state of UO, not to mention it's future, but youre seeking an answer that youre not going to get due to legal liabilities. I bet in many cases they/EA/devs/Jeremy are *dying* to share/show some of their evidence/data/info but they simply are not allowed to. They can't even comment on such things, "we like fire" is about as far as they can go. Youre just putting them, or more likely yourself, into a slippery slope that is beginning to spiral, downward, into harassment. If they didnt care about UO and it went out of business, where do their paychecks come from?

Degerdi

Degerdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
they are going to ban themselves out of business lol... i agreed with everyone when something needed to be done about the scripters in Fel but THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO! if you start making people responsible for their actions and ban them you will have people try to defend them and eventually for every 1 account you ban 5 or more will leave along with them for the sheer fact that people will believe they are entitled to use 3rd party programs and when they cant anymore they will get pissed.

ive come to realize (since i refuse to script or cheat even though i could do it SO well) that people suck and if i want to play the game i have to search for people who feel the same way i do and chill in Tram... scripters dont keep me from PvP, they keep me from winning at PvP

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

scripters dont keep me from PvP, they keep me from winning at PvP

--good quote!

Degerdi

Degerdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
ty lol

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Im not scared to big up EA for ridding the game of scripters/hackers/dupers or any other forms of cheats.

However I also beleive people are innocent till proven guilty.

I will be watching and waiting to see which of those perma banned people,get re instated,because I do believe if the correct procedures are followed,and they are innocent,that will be the result.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

Would anyone happen to have a link to UO's T.O.S.? I'd be interested to see where they say one cannot use the word "dupe" or another form of it.

UO TOS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I will be watching and waiting to see which of those perma banned people,get re instated,because I do believe if the correct procedures are followed,and they are innocent,that will be the result.

One of the particularly worrying things I noticed this round of banning was the speed with which houses on the banned accounts were demolished.

On past history, I don't quite see how, if anyone wins an appeal, they have a hope of getting those back (and even if they could, how 'fair' is that on someone who noticed the space and placed a house of their own?), or the legal contents, since the EA line on destroyed items has almost always been 'sorry, we can't get that back for you'.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I like it and stand behind EAM for banning traders involved with this..

Remove those that trade with dupes and then find a way to stop all dupers

Posted Image

Degerdi

Degerdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
'sorry for our ignorance but yur screwed sorry'

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
and realy , who can prove whats duped or not , they can permaban anyone at anytime and say "they had dupes" doesnt mean they do , and i dont see one bit of evidence that says they did .if there is no way to tell if something is duped , ppl shoud not be perma banna just for haveing them , delete the items , get them out of game , if they can track them like they say , trace them back to the makers and ban them , not the people that bought them simply because they thought they were getting a damn good deal !!!!!!
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts

One of the particularly worrying things I noticed this round of banning was the speed with which houses on the banned accounts were demolished.

On past history, I don't quite see how, if anyone wins an appeal, they have a hope of getting those back (and even if they could, how 'fair' is that on someone who noticed the space and placed a house of their own?), or the legal contents, since the EA line on destroyed items has almost always been 'sorry, we can't get that back for you'.

Yes I thought about that also,which makes me think EA must of been pretty damn sure of what they were doing.

If not then it will be their mess to sort out and put right ,but it will be little solace to anyone wrongly targetted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

and realy , who can prove whats duped or not , they can permaban anyone at anytime and say "they had dupes" doesnt mean they do , and i dont see one bit of evidence that says they did .if there is no way to tell if something is duped , ppl shoud not be perma banna just for haveing them , delete the items , get them out of game , if they can track them like they say , trace them back to the makers and ban them , not the people that bought them simply because they thought they were getting a damn good deal !!!!!!

The makers use dummy accounts.. wont get effected at all.. its the traders that are the big destroyers of the economy in UO.. Many of these buy/sell these and knowing what they do.
They can trace the dupes.. they've said it officially.. they trace the item numbers. Since a dupe got the same number.. No you can not see it as a player.

You do NOT get banned for owning 1-5 duped items.. also been said officially.. since that can happen anyone.. (Dont mark my numbers since im sure they got a higher limit than 5, more like 15-25)
So no "normal" player will get effected by the bannings.. So those that got banned are those that trade in these items.. large bulk orders. Who is that naiv to think if you buy 50+ barbed kits that none are dupes? please... YES i know some traders on EU that used to do that.. YES they bought bulks in 100s of kits. To then craft right away with.So the item numbers on the kits are gone after used up.

Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Even people who have legitimately lost things through code bugs or by other players using exploits on them rarely if ever get them back. Mouse holes, Melissa cloaks and archery buttes placed on exterior steps are recent examples.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea, warningis, word