Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A word of Warning...[Is this EA gone too far ?]

- - - - - ea warningis word

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
On UO Legends forum on Stratics New Thunder posted a general heads up for those who may not read UHall

I would encourage everyone to read through some of the posts on Uhall (I know that is is often un-readable), there seems to be some major issues with duping and bannings going around.

Always remember if a deal seems too good to be true, like Val hammer in bulk for 12 mil each, it is probobly more trouble then it is worth. I would hate to see the good folks of legends lose accounts or homes.

~~~~

New Thunder then went on to reveal some disturbing news.

Also be very careful what you say in game. There have been reports of players being banned for simply mentioning certain websites that promote duping and 3rd party programs. EA it seems is taking a zero tollerence of this type of thing.

~~~~

Like many others,MageCruella would like more details from EA.

I would love to hear from UO as to why someone would be permabanned for warning friends and/or guildies away from these sites. Many of you will know who I am talking about. It seems you cannot even name the sites or use the words in warning.

I am, right now, sadly dissapointed in UO>

~~~~

It didnt take long for all to be revealed.

Erekose

A well loved guildleader of a large Legends guild was banned and the guildhall destroyed, all for warning people during a guild meeting not to dupe or deal with dupers.

~~~~
Omnicron

Who was it? It was Damia was it?

I like the fact that UO is finally taking a zero tolerance approach, but they might be going a tad to far by banning people for telling people not to deal with dupers.

~~~~

Sorcon Gartius

The sad part is that she was banned for trying to prevent it... And that someone in her guild or someone at the guild meeting had to actually click the "Report" button and target her to turn her in.

~~~~

Cobra76

I was at that meeting. I find it hard to believe that anyone there would have reported her. She is the salt of the Earth.

And what was her crime? Telling us not to cheat? Geesh we need MORE people like her not less.

~~~~

Damia TMC came to give a first hand account of what happened.

I guess I'd better respond to this, I have been very busy as you can imagine. First i want to thank everyone who came to help rebuild and for your support.

Here's what happened. There was a lot of talk on uhall about a web site being freely passed around listing dupes and how to do them. A lot of people had asked me about it, everyone was talking about it. I thought a general reminder of what is right and wrong was in order. I do not know the web site so I did not say it. I wouldn't have even if I had known what it was. I told people if they were given the web site not to even go as it could contain a key logger. I reminded people that duping was wrong, and not to get curious, that to try one even once could result in the loss of your account. I thought I was protecting my people.

The next day my account was banned and our guild house and all contents deleted. I got a letter from EA saying that I can not even discuss the existence of bugs or exploits. Now I did not discuss or even mention the dupes that everyone knows are out there. I merely said the word dupes. I have never duped anything, I wouldn't know how, and wouldn't even if I did. I have never bought any valorite hammers, I owned one given to me as a gift which I never used, and it's the only one I have ever owned.

There are no bad marks against my account, I don't do anything wrong. I won't even slip and cuss in the game for fear of risking my account, and beleive me there have been times I have been tempted.

I'm angry and frustrated, okay saying the d word in game is bannable. I get that what I did was wrong, but to get perma banned for trying to help and protect people isn't right either. Not only did they delete my account, but I can't log on to the EA website to open a dispute because my account is invalid. I can't get a live person on the phone, they just keep sending me to the web site which I can't log in to.

So just a word of warning, don't say the D word in game. I'm afraid to say anything in game right now, and i won't talk about this in game either. I'm not sure if there is some kind of blanket search that looks for key words, or if one of my own people paged on me for saying the word. I hope it's not the latter. I would hate to think that someone I love and try to look out for would do this to me.

~~~~

Last word from my end goes to guild member Kula

I've been away for some time, I regret having completely missed this incident. For the past 2 years I have played UO for the mere fact that I enjoyed playing with my guild.

If UO doesn't take a close look at what they have done - it seems like they haven't looked at the situation at all - I will immediately terminate my account.

There's no doubt in my mind that if a real person actually looks into the matter on EA's end that Damia would be cleared.

~~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

A well loved guildleader of a large Legends guild was banned and the guildhall destroyed, all for warning people during a guild meeting not to dupe or deal with dupers.

That's pretty crazy. Geez...

Cross

Cross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That is BS. I'm really contemplating on saying the hell with it closing down.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
WTF Jeremy?!

I think she deserves an explination to say the least. though an appology and restoration seems more fitting. a big flippin appology.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I was ok with the bannings related to the duping itself, but this is way too much.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I wont judge anyone till i hear the second side. So many people lying as it is at moment, trying to clean their names.

But indeed this will be intressting to hear what jeremy says about it.. Because it sounds a bit too much..

Posted Image

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Agreed, if this is truly what happened it is way over the line.

Ceridwen

Ceridwen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Well, either way, it really is best to not talk about such stuff in game.

Thanks for the heads up, sent a warning to my guild and alliance, since we usually talk in German and who knows what GMs/EA understands when they use a translation program...
When it comes to running, some are just legendary at birth, and others never learn, I'm sorry to say. - Lady Hester Tarian

Being legendary in running doesn't always help someone like me who is also legendary in dying.

Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth

Without The Community You Are Limited

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
Email sent to: jdalberg@ea.com

And I really think one of you at EA needs to respond to this. This isn't fricken 1942 Nazi Germany.

http://www.uoforums....-too-far-51254/

Love to see what you all have to say because then I'll know EA is just trying to destroy Ultima Online or made a big OPPS!

And also I could give a lick about your confidentiality clause

Oh and dont worry about me if they ban my account for that email then I can finaly quit UO after ten years LoL.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GeldMacher

GeldMacher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
There are very few people I would ever defend against this type of action from EA, but Damia is one of the highest quality players that Legends has. I understand that EA needs to monitor in game chat and try to remove those whom would dupe and scam; but the problem lies in that EA does a horid job of alerting players to the potential dangers out there. If they are not going to allow players to warn each other within the game, then at least do a better job of warning player of the log in screen.

The overall problem seems to be EA is always re-active rather then being pro-active; I have always found that this type of magangement stye leads to heavy handed policies.

I would hope that a review of the situation could be done and Damia's chars restored.

Degerdi

Degerdi

Waiting to steal your monacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
:rubhead: i cant take this crap anymore
Curses! Who stole my monacle? :mycry:

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I'm with Gnomy...I will play a wait and see game here. Although many are protesting their innocence, I think EA KNOWS it would be hurt, probably badly, by mistakenly banning innocent folks. I believe they feel it's better to NOT ban a potential duper/hacker than to ban an innocent player. We'll see. Then again, I waffle on this knowing it IS EA after all lol.

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
well after all the complaing i have seen on stratics and these forums about cheating and scamming, etc, its good to see ea taking a stand against this type of thing. starting with the house thats still in flames in luna as well as following up to the weeks prior actions. is what happened to that guild leader collateral damage? i don't know and agreed with jfk and gnomy that we have seen only 1 side of the story.

all honest players have demanded action and it seems we have finally seen some, complete with follow thru. take it as a lesson and don't speak of such things in game. you can easily warn people of illegalites on this or other sites that will not violate ea's tos.

sorry she got banned if she is innocent but i hope that this is an ongoing process that eventually moves on to take a look at all the hacks currently going on around yew gate.

Mags

Mags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
wow now we can't buy/sell or talk in game??!! This is getting worse by the day.
Why hate and destroy when you can love and enjoy.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
Anyone still seeing scriptors around? Or did they catch and ban them too?

Veldrane

Veldrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
As a newly returning player who is in the process of trying to gear up and become viable in UO, I really find this situation very disconcerting.

I've pretty much stopped shopping around looking for items, as I have no idea what is safe and what will get me banned. Sure the response could be "if it's too good a deal to be true it's a scam", but how am I to know what is a good deal or not as I've been out of the game for at least four years.

I really hope this situation gets resolved soon.

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

As a newly returning player who is in the process of trying to gear up and become viable in UO, I really find this situation very disconcerting.

I've pretty much stopped shopping around looking for items, as I have no idea what is safe and what will get me banned. Sure the response could be "if it's too good a deal to be true it's a scam", but how am I to know what is a good deal or not as I've been out of the game for at least four years.

I really hope this situation gets resolved soon.

most of the duping is occuring on the bigger ticket items. if your new to the game i don't think your first priority will be paying millions for a valorite hammer i think your safe to say, shop for armor and such without concern.

sonoma is also a hard shard in regards to selling and trading due to the low population. at least that's what i found while i was there.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

all honest players have demanded action and it seems we have finally seen some, complete with follow thru. take it as a lesson and don't speak of such things in game. you can easily warn people of illegalites on this or other sites that will not violate ea's tos.

This is just the thing... all honest players? Who are they then? Like the guy that wrote open letter to EA demanding he was innocent? and then Jeremy comes out and tells he had 140+ duped items... Not so innocent. Hence why i dont trust the "honest" players who got banned.

There is a reason behind it. Any "honest" player who got banned for duping, surely bought more than 15+ duped items... then IMO that person does exactly so much harm as the duper himself. Since this person trades it out in UO world and destroys the economy for own benefits.

Posted Image

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
What I'm funding very amusing is the silence from the folks who were calling for this years ago. Where are the "way to go Mythic!" posts?

-Galen's player

Muu Bin

Muu Bin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Would anyone happen to have a link to UO's T.O.S.? I'd be interested to see where they say one cannot use the word "dupe" or another form of it.

The reason, I believe, that EA/ Mythic is keeping "mum" on this and not disclosing personal information - even if the banned individuals give them permission - is simply due to legal reasons. They are protecting their rear ends. By not disclosing anything they won't open themselves up to potential legal action if a paying subscriber chose to sue them.

In the end, they have the right to refuse service and, in fact, shut the entire game down if they decided to. If even one of the stories that I have been reading lately is true, then it leaves me scratching my head wondering if I should move on. It certainly doesn't bode well for increasing the overall subscriptions to UO, enticing old players to return or even capturing the interest of potential new players.

This whole thing is going to have long term effects on recruitment and retention of the player base and in the end... EA/ Mythic has no one to blame but themselves for allowing the problem to get so far out of hand in the first place.

Good luck to you all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea, warningis, word