Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Advanced Mage PVP gear discussion

- - - - - advanced discussion gear mage pvp

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
[FONT="]Hello all. Oldschool vet (beta to AoS) coming back to submerge myself in some UO PVP fun. I've spent the last couple days trying to find a combination of equipment that I fill is best but I just keep running into walls. PLEASE help.

Template:
Pure inscribe mage.

Items:
Hat of Magi
Rune Beetle Cara
pendant of Magi
shield in invul
fey leggings
ornament of the Magi
crystalline Ring
optional barbed leather hands
optional barbed leather shoulders

Haven't decided on wep (boomstick, scrapers, staff of magi? I dont know...)

results:
~ -10 Physical -20 Fire -20 Cold -11 poi +16 Energy (negative meaning less than 70 ie. need more)
+35% LMCost
+13 MRegen
35% DCI
+18 INT
15% (capped) Spell Dam
2 FC 3 FCR (possible more with wep)

Now for the q's:
1. Should I drop Fey leggings for legs with more resist? Would it be worth it to get / near 70max all resist and lose 20 DCI as a pvp mage?

2. Should I replace crystalline ring with ring of elements (or something else) instead to hit max resist? Crystalline's magic damage is doing nothing due to cap so its just a tad of mana regen and 20+ magery 20+ focus.

3. Do you see something that I should remove from my equipment list and replace with and why.

Thanks in advanced and hopefully others get a good read out of the responses.[/FONT]

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
If you have the funds for all that, you may want to consider replacing the shield of invulnerability with the vesper collections chaos shield. It has FC/FCR of 1/2 as well as spell channeling, FCR of 5 or more is VERY important to have in PvP (and for me, important in all aspects of UO)and allows you more flexibility in a ring.

Just remember, DCI=probably the most important aspect in a suit. Don't lose any of it if you can avoid it, even at the costs of resists.

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
First, thank you very much for this info. I had no idea about the museum replicas. When did these come in (you cant search for FCR on weps at finduo.com) :P

Ok, so If I swapped shields I would gain 2 FCR but lose 15 DCI so I would be back at 20%.

I sort of have simi-unlimited funds thanks to soulstones so if you notice anything else I left off please let me know.

Darkion

Darkion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
8 MR with med,
35 DCI (With quiver shouldnt be hard)
100 LRC,
40 LMC
and 2/6 is a must mate ^^
Prefarably one handed so you can pot,
and lose the crystaline ring,
Dont use pendant AND Hom, use oen or the other, you need ersists or Necros will decimate you.
Try get a 0/2 EP ring,
Kanrey Davion... The best kind of Davion!

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I would say if you can get atleast 60 DCI then go for it. The I reason that is because if you are hit with a hit lower defence weapon then you will still be at max DCI. I run a necro mage but I and I thinking about going to a parry mage. They are hard to hit.

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
How would I get that much DCI with these items.
So i swap out shields so I get more FCR. I just lost 15%.
I dont really see how to rearrange my equipment to get this without totally removing everything just to get that DCI.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Fey leggings 20DCI
Quiver of Inf 5 DCI
arcane shield 15 DCI FC1
armor of fortune 15DCI 40 LRC
ring with 5 or more and 2 FCR
orni 2 FC 3 FCR 10 LMC 15 Energy Resist
Kasa of the rajin 84 total resist 12 SDI
scrapper 10 LMC 1FC 1 FRC 25 SDI
Totem of the void 10 LMC

With those items you have
60 plus DCI
60 LRC
3 FC
6 FCR
37 SDI which is over the max (you get the clainins speelbook with 15 LRC MR 2)
30 LMC (10 more to reach 40 which is max)

that leaves you with gorget, sleeves, and gloves to get 40 LRC, MR, LMC, and resist. It can be done. Just will cost a lot of gold

of the 40 LRC left you can get the Stitter mittens with have 30.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
The Museum shield is, to me, about the most useless shield in the game. Try to go one handed so you can pot. Use the pendant, and perhaps the Folded Steel glasses and Armor of Fortune for a fast 30 DCI, then try to get a 0/3 ring with high DCI. You can also go the Crystalline, Inquis, Mage Weap route as well. You MUST have resists, at least 60 preferably, though I try for 75-80 in fire since you WILL get corpse skinned for sure. I don't get as anal about poison, as with pots you can cure it quickly...but fire is a must have. Oh, and if you can't get to 2/6 faster cast faster cast recovery, don't even bother showing up. The ring I mentioned coupled with the Orny will do that for you.

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hah JFK, I just spent 4 mil on the shield :P
So your saying I should be spell book and no shield so I can pot?

There used to have macros to un-equip hands to drink and reapply, has that been changed?

I will keep working with gear and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Also,

Do you have to have 100% LRC. Can't you just bring regs :P
I'm having to kill certain bonuses just to obtain this.

Here is where I am at ATM:
folded steel glasses
Rune Beetle Carapace
pendant of the magi
ornament of the mag
fey leggings
quiver
Shield of Invulner
mittens
option barbedleather sle
ring - 3 FCR +something

significant info about this:
2 FC 6 FCR
55 DCI (without ring).
way to low fire resist (43). rest fine.
28 Lower mana cost (without potential ring bonus)
100 LRC
10 int
only 5 spell damage need 10 more (from ring?)

So I can make spell damage and add more DCI but there is no way I can fix the fire resist without replacing equipment. I do have an armor of fortune but I really like RBC for the lower mana cost.

Is there no way to have decent LMC with a 100% LRC, 55+DCI, full resist, 2FC6FCR suit?

You say toss the pendant. Well then I have to make up 30 more LRC, and the +5 magic damage.

Toss the rune beetle for more DCI and LRC well im still at low fire resist and I just lost 15% LMC.

I'm going crazy here..>:(

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
You can pick up 10 LMC from the Totem of the Void to replace the RBC. The problem with the RBC/Fey legs/Stitcher mitten combo is the resists on all are placed pretty closely on all of them...they are all low in fire and poison. I would ditch one or two of them and use something else...yes the DCI on the Fey's is nice, but the AOF has 15 as well. The 30 lrc on the Stitchers can be partly replaced by GOOD gloves, and I'd rather have some MR/LMC/MI on the gloves myself anyway.

Bummer on the shield, if you woulda spammed the bank you shouldn't have had to pay more than a couple mill.:(

You don't "have" to have 100 LRC, but it sure is nice...I run a necro dexxer without it, and when you die and get looted, it sucks running for regs all the time. You can counteract it somewhat by using an arcane robe and boots, which will give you up to 24 "charges" each, replenishable, and each charge allows you to cast a spell instead of using reagents, so coupled with regs and 80% or so LRC it should last a while before needing recharging. FWIW.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
The shield is pretty nice. Having that extra 2/1 frees the ring for more important things...like an extra +20 magery +20 focus 5 HPR and 3 MR.

Crystalline ring is the bee's knees.

Also - isn't DCI capped at 45? You're wasting mods if you're up to 55...

~M

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ring doesn't really help my situation.
Also, more DCI is to counter lower DCI from attacks. sounds important.

I almost got the suit perfect but I need some amazing hands, arms and ring :P

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
LOL. Welcome to suit building, it's a royal pain, and yes, you WILL need amazing arms and gloves hehe. That's the toughest thing about building that particular type of suit. I still don't have mine done, but there is no rush....the mage I'm going to try to PvP with is doing quite nicely as a PvM mage at the moment, and his suit is fine for that.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

The shield is pretty nice. Having that extra 2/1 frees the ring for more important things...like an extra +20 magery +20 focus 5 HPR and 3 MR.

Crystalline ring is the bee's knees.

Also - isn't DCI capped at 45? You're wasting mods if you're up to 55...

~M

A lot of parrying, wreslthing mages have 60 DCI. They are really hard to hit. Because if you hit them with a HLD weapon they are still at max DCI of 45.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Also,

Do you have to have 100% LRC. Can't you just bring regs :P
I'm having to kill certain bonuses just to obtain this.

Here is where I am at ATM:
folded steel glasses
Rune Beetle Carapace
pendant of the magi
ornament of the mag
fey leggings
quiver
Shield of Invulner
mittens
option barbedleather sle
ring - 3 FCR +something

significant info about this:
2 FC 6 FCR
55 DCI (without ring).
way to low fire resist (43). rest fine.
28 Lower mana cost (without potential ring bonus)
100 LRC
10 int
only 5 spell damage need 10 more (from ring?)

So I can make spell damage and add more DCI but there is no way I can fix the fire resist without replacing equipment. I do have an armor of fortune but I really like RBC for the lower mana cost.

Is there no way to have decent LMC with a 100% LRC, 55+DCI, full resist, 2FC6FCR suit?

You say toss the pendant. Well then I have to make up 30 more LRC, and the +5 magic damage.

Toss the rune beetle for more DCI and LRC well im still at low fire resist and I just lost 15% LMC.

I'm going crazy here..>:(

I completly understand what you are going through. I am in the process of making a necro archer for pvp and building this suit has been really hard...trying to max out HCI, LMC, LRC, and enough stamina/dex to swing really fast.

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I post this an another forum but I love uoforums feedback as well.

Ok I wanted to update you on my gear.
I'm very close and pretty excited about the outcome:

-Kasa
-RBC
-PoM
-OoM
-Fey
-Totem and Quiver
-Scrappers (version with +10LMC AND 12LRC.. I'll wear arcane to help with if i get disarmed)
-Shield of Invul
-Option gloves (18p, 23f, 19c, 11p, 14e 10 LRC)
-Option Sleeve (7p,19f,17c,20p,9e 17 LRC)
-Option Ring (2-3FCR ((don't really need 3 with scrap)) 10 DCI 10 LRC)

Results:
62P, 70F, 75C, 58P, 88E (a little short in a few but It will do for now)
6 ManaRegen (I would like more but whatever)
100 LRC
50 DCI (some say need 65, so maybe need more)
48 LMC (too much I know)
+10 int +10 mana (yay :P)
+45 spell damage (so much wasted, arg...)
2fc6FCR
0 enhanced potion (boo)

So I got to much spell damage and LMC. I could use a tad more resist and mana regen and I still need enhanced potion.

I see a few options. Throw out Rune beetle because of the surplus in LMC and replace with AoF for the LRC. I could then remove PoM (due to the extra LRC) for more resists but then I just lost out on my 6 mana regen (total). I could however get a little mana regen on the option sleeves and arms instead of focusing so much on LRC (due to the 40 on AoF).

I'm sort of rambling here but my question is: looking at my setup do you see a good way to increase my resist a tad (physical needs 8 more at least and fire needs more if i get cursed) as well as gaining more mana regen at the expense of losing a tad of LMC.

If not that's fine. I think I am pleased with this setup.. I just need to find a ring with enhanced potion on it as well and I think I got what I need...for now =)

Abyss

Abyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
How are you planning on potting with no free hand?

Here's my equipment. I am a Necro Mage with no weap skill but same suit can be used with different in hand.
Weapon- Diamond Mace 14 DCI SC no -1 mage weap -21( You can change this up for the Clanin's Spellbook and will make the suit much easier to use)
Head: Folded Steel Reading Glasses
Neck: Gorget with LRC and MR 2 and high resists
Chest: AoF
Arms: Nice Barbed Sleeves with LRC and LMC high resists
Gloves: Inquis's
Bracelet: Orny
Ring: Crystalline
Legs: High Resist MR 1 with LRC
Boots: Snake Skins
Tally: Totem of the Void
Back: Quiver of Infinity

asm0deus

asm0deus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can't you just use a macro to unequip shield / book and drink?

I cant find a inquis on GL so I'm having to do the wrestle path I guess.

If I get inquis then I may use the skill points on parry. Not sure on the benifits though at this time.

Abyss

Abyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
You can but it gets kinda flaky and it also takes a full second to un-equip, drink pot, re-equip. Usually by which time you are poisoned again. It isn't the way to go on it, I tried it for a while and it didn't work well for me. At times you will miss the rearm or miss the pot drink which usually happens when you need it the most.

I would keep wrestling if I were you. Disarm is the bee's knees. You don't need the Inquis for the suit either. It would help...but not a necessity. You could go with something like this.

Weapon- Clanin's Spellbook
Head: Folded Steel Reading Glasses
Neck: Gorget with LRC and MR 2 and high resists
Chest: AoF
Arms: Nice Barbed Sleeves with LRC and LMC high resists
Gloves: Nice barbed Gloves with LMC and MR or LRC good resists
Bracelet: Orny
Ring: FC 3 DCI possible more LRC
Legs: High Resist MR 2 with LRC
Boots: Snake Skins
Tally: Totem of the Void
Back: Quiver of Infinity

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advanced, discussion, gear, mage, pvp