Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

My Skill Gain Since Pub 39

- - - - - 39 gain pub skill

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Today I did a little experiment and wanted to share my results here. I'm hoping that other people will post their own personal results with skill gain since the publish here as well.

I'm currently working magery, meditation and eval on one of my characters. She has not eaten any powerscrolls so her skill cap is 100 for each of these skills. I used the magery guide posted here as my guide for what to cast. I parked my character on a boat near the server line on the west side of Ice Isle. I sat still on the boat casting over and over for 1 hour. After that hour was up, I started sailing north along the server line and continued to cast for 1 hour. I didn't try to 8x8, just continued sailing and dogding other boats when necessary. My results are as follows:

Starting Skill:
Meditation 96.3
Magery 82.2
Eval Int 77.0

At the end of 1st hour standing in the same spot:
Meditation 97.2 (0.9 gain)
Magery 84.4 (2.2 gain)
Eval Int 79.9 (2.9 gain)

At the end of 2nd hour this time continually moving:
Meditation 98.2 (1.0 gain this hour)
Magery 86.3 (1.9 gain this hour)
Eval Int 81.9 (2.0 gain this hour)

Total Gains in 2 hours:
Meditation +1.9
Magery +4.1
Eval Int +4.9

I'm pretty pleased with these results. If I have some more time this afternoon I'm gonna try some taming to see if I get any gains. At 108.4 taming, I've only been getting my GGS for a couple of months now.
Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Not to bad
Yea i'd definatly like to see if taming has changed, that skill used to bore me silly

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
There is no way Taming can NOT be boring. Even MINING is less trouble! :shocked:

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Char 1:

Start 98.0 Magery (did not eat scroll)

Stood in 1 spot, cast earthquake for 45 min

End: 99.7 Magery

Net: 1.7 Magery

Char 2:

Start: 105 Spellweaving (scrolled to 120), 103.7 Eval Intel (scrolled to 110)

Stood in 1 spot, cast Word of Death/Mini Heal on self for 3 hours.

End: 105.7 Spellweaving, 104.9 Eval Intel

Net: .7 Spellweaving 1.2 Eval Intel

Note: From 104.5 to 105 Spellweaving it took less than an hour.

If we jump to conclusions off my little test we could say that there is a skill gain curve and from 90-GM there is relatively fair skill gain, from GM-105 it gets a little steeper, from 105-Elder an even steeper curve, Elder-??? I'm scared for IF that is true.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Ive been working healing today, on a naked skilled char with just anat and healing and tact on the server line in minoc, and its been a bitch all day to gain. I started at like 68 and just now got to 75. I have noticed quite a few runs of gains here and there. i would just move a bit and start it over, but not in the healing area, the other 2 were gaining.

So I guess, after the rambling. what is the quickest way to gain healing, as I am going to be needing to do this 2 more times, for other chars, that the skill got neglected on.

Smythe

Smythe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
From my minimal observations it seems that movement based skills (formerly 8x8able) gain quite well and are finally able to gain under "normal" playing conditions. On the other hand difficulty based skills, i.e. taming, gain at the same rate or even slower. Also with 100 magery I fizzled casting 8th circle spells 22 times in a row (I counted) so something is wrong there as I should have a 50% chance of success.

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
The results I am reading sound pretty good, might actually look forward to working my skills.
There are no stupid questions......only stupid people!

Thaelyn

Thaelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm training inscription and meditation.

Meditation
Before pub 39:
My meditation seemed stuck at 94.something. I would scribe scrolls and just run around the map or recall to different places to get a meditation gain. Then I'd do 8x8 when I found a gain. For some reason, I wasn't even finding spots to gain on.

Since pub 39:
standing on the same spot, while scribing scrolls, my meditation has gone up like crazy.. Well, compared to before. :)
I've only worked inscription for about 3 total hours since pub 39, but my meditation has gone up from 94 to 97.6.

That's 3 hours of meditation from 94-97.6

Taming, on the other hand. No real difference, except in animal lore. Lore gains seems more constant.
I'm currently 105 lore, 101 taming. Post pub 39, my lore has shot up 2 points, while my taming has only gone up .5 (mostly from ggs). That might be because I'm taming tougher stuff though, with less successful tames, but lots of attempts that bring lore up. Still, I'm definitely gaining more animal lore than before.

I actually don't find training taming boring at all, since I'm just taming Ki-rins and Drakes for the zoo. Any successful tame gets me zoo points, and skill gains are just a bonus.. :) It beats bulls!

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Ok, did a quick test of Taming post P39.
Here are the results:
Started 101.5 Taming(After GGS).
Spent half an hour taming Gammas, tamed 38 of them. Gained .2
Spent half an hour taming Bulls, tamed 37 bulls. No gains.
Spent half an hour taming Ridgebacks, tamed 30 ridgebacks. No gains.
Was also going to do Great Harts, White Wolves and another half hour of Gammas, but lag got so bad I couldn't even walk. I will finish off this along with Vet when I stop lagging so badly.
But wow, I gained tons....(no I am not joking). I know with Fox I have spent 3+ hours taming and not gained ANYTHING. .2 + .1GGS in an hour and half is very good for me.
Think I am just going to tame gammas from now on lol

Fuzzy llamas!

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Ok some more results:
Did Gammas for 1 hour today. Gained .4(OMG WHOOO HOOOO!)

Vet/Pet Training Results:
Orc Brutes(200 Aids):
Used my Nightmare Sly Fox.
Went from 105.9 to 106.1 in Vet with 200 aids and about 1 hour.(no GGS)
Sly Fox Gained:
2.4 Med(97.0 to 99.4)
1.0 Magery(85.2 to 86.2)

Poison Elementals(200 Aids):
Used my most under used Dragon Firestorm.
Went from 106.1 to 106.2 in 45 minutes and 200 aids.
Firestorm Gained:
2.1 Wrestling(89.5 to 91.6)
0.7 Tactics(97.0 to 97.7)
0.6 Magic Resist(91.0 to 91.6)
2.2 Anatomy(83.0 to 85.2)
1.8 Magery(61.8 to 63.6)
1.3 Eval Int(86.4 to 87.7)
6.8 Med(80.4 to 87.2)
2 Dex(104 to 106)

Daemons(in Fel Wind I might add urg, 200 Aids):
Used Sly Fox(Died Once, due to NOT LISTENING TO ME).
Went from 106.2 to 106.4 in 35 minutes and 200 aids.
Sly Fox Gained:
.9 Magic resist(91.3 to 92.1+.1 loss from death)
.3 Magery(86.2 to 86.4+.1 from death)
.7 Med(99.4 to 100+.1 from death).

Now why did I test pets? Because I have been struggling with certain pets at high or medium levels of skill gain(especially in Med) since I have come back to UO(Begining of December).

All the pet training was done threw none "power training methods", just simply All kill vet vet vet repeat.
So it looks like simply just hunting with your pets now will increase their skills a bit quicker than they use to.

And Taming is rockin now! wooo hooo!

I may try poisoning next finally GM my Nox Mage(even though he doesn't need it GMed).......naw

Celsius

Celsius

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Have you tried training your pets up on the Sphynx? Pets always seemed to get the best gains from them for me.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
They have definitely improved things. Last night in just over two hours I finally GM'd Musicianship simulaneously working on Animal Lore. I gained over 5 full points on Musicianship and 46 in Animal Lore. I am Impressed. :cheesy:

~

~

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Some new things I've noticed.

Magery at 106.3 - about an hour of casting EV's went to 106.6, not bad at that high of skill but put tomb of lost knowledge on (taking me to cap of 115) and after 30 more minutes of EV's and at 107.2. Could be coincidence, but maybe the "jewelry" trick works due to more successful checks.

Will have to test with a different skill for more info.

On a side note, Eval Intel has skyrocketed to 109 from 104.9 due to having to heal and throwing some e-bolts every once and a while.

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
Hmm....me thinks I'll have to do some training after reading all of this! lol

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Well I can tell you that the smithing guide posted in the skill guides here isn't working for me :( I'm at 102 smithing and the guide says to make short spears. After 1 1/2 hours of making and smelting short spears I got 0 gains. So I'm trying the guide on Stratics now that says to make plate gorgets up to 105. 20 mins in and I've gained .1 so I'll keep you posted on what happens the next couple of hours.
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Eeeep that's just disgusting. Now, if you are on and reading this thread...

STOP!!!!

Do not follow those guides. At 102 you should be gaining more than .1 every 20 minutes. Definately throw those guides away and look at different things to make. I think you can start doing plate arms now, throw on a talisman with blacksmithy % and exceptional blacksmithy % and start hammerin away. I think you can get to 115 rather easily doing plate arms or the plate hiro sade (sp?) look at the newer armors that can be made, some have lower ingot costs with higher skill required (which = better gains).

The talisman is necessary for better gains, even if you don't have great ones, and at 102 you will probly need higher exceptional % because most will be at or close to 100% normal success rate.

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
That was so not pretty. 1 1/2 hours on gorgets and only gained .8 :( I switched to the plate hiro sodes and I've gained .2 in 5 mins. *sigh*
Posted Image

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
*tries remembering what he use to make at 103ish*

I THINK it was plate gloves. Yes definitly plate gloves, definitly plate helms.

At 106 I started doing helms, did those until 107.something, then started on arms until 114.6(which I am at now).
This was all pre Samurai Empire.

And BAD GWENYTH! Now I have the urge to work my Smithy.....I hate working smithy sooooo much.....

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
Those are pretty good results, I mean, if you get lucky doing your 8x8ing you would find a spot where you CONSTANTLY gain, but then eventually it would stop so this sort of stretches it out so that is good. BUT the animal lore was so easy to do on a boat so I doubt itll be easyer for animal lore.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
At that level, I made Plate Tunics almost exclusively. Make, smelt, remake.... Maybe not the best, and certainly not fast, but steady.

~

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 39, gain, pub, skill