Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Commodities in Ultima Online: Discussion

- - - - - commodities discussion online ultima

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
A thumbnail sketch of the commodities market on Sonoma:

I’ve been trying to reconcile the high price of all things on Sonoma and the relative scarcity of things that are plentiful on other shards.

Part of the answer probably lies in population numbers, which I’ll never be able to examine. I assess that Sonoma has far fewer residents than the most populated shards, which consequently lowers availability of rare items and raises prices.

Sonoma’s low population has an unexpected side effect, however: A quick glance through the Luna markets, via FindUO.com, will demonstrate many basic crafting ingredients are scarce. Those that are for sale are only available in low numbers and at higher prices. Low availability and high prices suggests to me one of the following:

a) Resource scripters are not present in large numbers. Moreover, there is no real incentive (customer base)for them to set up shop on Sonoma – otherwise they would be flocking to the high prices

B) Resource scripters are present, but their products are purchased and consumed at a voracious rate, and the net effect on the commodity market is negligible.

Given human nature, I’d suggest answer ‘b.’

I have taken a snapshot of Luna Vendor availability of the basic resources. This is what I find:

Boards
Four vendors, one has far more stock than the others
Prices:
o Plain – over 100K available at 14gp each
o Oak – 2.5K available for 9.75g; 1k for 20gp
o Yew – 1k for 40g
o Heart – 1k for 85gp

Ingots
Three primary vendors
Prices:
o Iron – 130K avail at 30gp; 60k at 25; 120k at 15
o Shadow – 1k avail at 50gp; this is probably a good marker, since you can get 45gp each from NPCs
o Copper – 1k avail at 60; 5k avail at 65
o Gold – 1k avail at 110; 2.5k avail at 85
o Agapite – 1k at 130; 1k at 95

For these two categories, it appears either that resource randomization has removed the availability of high-colors, or Vesper/Brit collections suck them all away to reward points.

Leather

Plain: 3 vendors
o 180k available at 26.7gp
o 20k avail at 50gp

Spined: 2 vendors
o 2k avail at 85
o 5k avail at 100

Horned: 3 vendors
o 3k at 90gp
o 6k at 100gp
o 1k at 70gp

Barbed: 2 vendors
o 5k at 100gp
o 5k at 150gp

For leather, I’d postulate that the usefulness of leather armor combined with the proliferation of barbed kits (11 for sale in Luna today) sharply reduces the amount of this resource for sale. Also, I’d imagine this is one of the harder resources to script.

With the Bag of Sending nerf, it’s also darn annoying to collect.

Reagents
I found almost no reagents for sale at any price. The sole exception was 60k blood moss for 7gp each. Presumably these are less profitable because of LRC. Also, it’s possible people now only buy in quantities when they need to redeem Brit Library Collection points. This is more expensive than using colored ingots, per point, but cheaper than using plain iron.

If this generates any discussion (beyond the “I hate scripters” variety) I’ll continue to post updates and new thoughts on the market.

Hey, sometimes I think about these things.
~M

Risso

Risso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I find Luna to be a poor point of comparison for any 'practical' items - what we have here on Europa is either scarce, wildly over-priced or both. However, perhaps because we have the luxury of being a more populous shard there are more shops/sources selling resources at a reasonable price outside of Luna, meaning we are not forced to go and pay their outrageous prices.

Maximus Neximus

Maximus Neximus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Are you looking to buy specific resources or are you just making a point?

I do quite a bit of resource collecting but rarely sell. I use to turn in high end ore/wood to community collections but it's become so rare now it's insane. In the time I chopped about 20k normal wood I only got 160 frostwood. And that's a good day. 125/1 :o

Veldrane

Veldrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I find Luna to be a poor point of comparison for any 'practical' items - what we have here on Europa is either scarce, wildly over-priced or both. However, perhaps because we have the luxury of being a more populous shard there are more shops/sources selling resources at a reasonable price outside of Luna, meaning we are not forced to go and pay their outrageous prices.

I do believe there is some merit to this. Unless there is some vendor area / mall outside of the city that I am not yet aware of, there are very few stock vendors outside of the city which could be contributing to the increased price in Luna.

This is one of those times where being on a low population server is a draw back. Though in my mind this out weighed by the closeness of the community (I haven't been able to break into this closeness yet, but I'm working on it :) ); granted that aspect is outside the scope of this discussion.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I concur that Luna is often a poor point of comparison. However, for purposes of this discussion, Luna is the only datapoint I have.

It's worth nothing, however, that people don't put items on vendors for the heck of it...they put them there because they sell...

~M

rmjcsr

rmjcsr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a Luna vendor and i purposely undercut most Luna prices to a degree.Most resources i have came from idocs and I rarely use em since i have no real crafters so i try to sell bulk at reasonable prices,in the hope that the real crafters out there will pass on the savings.Wishful thinking I know :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commodities, discussion, online, ultima