Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima Online 2. bring it back, start over, and release it.

- - - - - back bring online release start ultima

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I love a good Rant especialy if it's justified, but I wonder if we gave EA this speal if they would try to change or shut the whole thing down.

Vitas

Vitas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Let's have someone else buy it from EA and then we can get together people who know what they are doing to develop the game. I will volunteer to be part of customer service lol.

I totaly agree with this message!

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

I totaly agree with this message!

No, during this time of the year, that is:

"I am Vitas, and I support this message" =)
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Only if they did it right.

It's funny how many times someone will put a link to a UO-related thread on a WOW forum and almost half of the people responding to the thread begin with, "I used to play UO when..."

I think there are many ex-UO players out there that would give UO2 a chance if done the right way.

paladin3333

paladin3333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
For me UO just need a strong and new engine 3D with a nice graphical art...

2d client is ugly and need to be improve for the new young players.

Step by step, uo is dying... It's time to upgrade it. SA project got 10 years of late graphicaly.

i think ultima graphical art must look like to ultima 7 serie. in 1900X1200 that can be nice!

Ghostwyren

Ghostwyren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Meh graphics arent everything but they could do at least a simple upgrade, have you guys seen Iris 2? I doubt most of you have but youtube it. They took the basic tiles etc that they have now and made it 3d. 100% 3d not just the mobiles and spells. Go check it out.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
http://www.uoforums....s-iris-2-a.html

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Me likes!

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
It would be nice but I doubt it... that and known our luck they will make it "WoW-like" like most MMO's out there now days =/ (not bashing WoW just stating that seems like every company that puts out an MMO seems to by trying to copy it is all)

If they would make it like UO then it be totally awesome! keeping the difficulty like it should and such. I'd be happy with that but as well UO2 is probably just as dead as many other games I been looking forward too...

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
While I agree, there are several features in WoW-style games that are becoming 'industry standard' when it comes to MMOs.

- Auction houses. Or some way of selling items at a central location without standing around spamming. It also means that anyone can sell their items for the average price, not just people rich or lucky enough to live in/around Luna.

- Mailboxes for sending in-game mail of items, money, and messages.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

While I agree, there are several features in WoW-style games that are becoming 'industry standard' when it comes to MMOs.

- Auction houses. Or some way of selling items at a central location without standing around spamming. It also means that anyone can sell their items for the average price, not just people rich or lucky enough to live in/around Luna.

- Mailboxes for sending in-game mail of items, money, and messages.

I'm not sure how well UO would adapt to having Auction Houses. Maybe having some kind of in-game search engine that would search all the vendors on the shard and then show what's for sale and have in-game coordinates telling where it is. That would make it so it would still be appealing to have a Luna vendor while at the same time making it so that they can't gouge the hell out of prices, that way we'll learn just how much everything is worth.

That said, Mailboxes are a must-have item. Make it a house addon that can be gotten through an upcoming event and then throw it into the Heritage tokens along with all the other old event items. Functionally they will be exactly like the WoW mailboxes.

Beyond that, the third big thing really is the graphics. I personally kinda like the KR client graphics, but I find myself fighting the interface in order to do what I want to do. We seriously don't need any interface changes from the 2d client, just graphics upgrades.

Once those three things are taken care of, I think everything else will be fine. Even the ridiculously inflated economy isn't all that bad as new players can also take advantage of it and sell BODs, leather, metal, and a variety of other easily-gotten goods at similarly inflated prices. I did it all the time on WoW, exploited economies are easily exploitable. If it's really that much of a problem, then maybe there should be an expansion of the various turn-ins (Britan Library, Vesper Museum, Moonglow Zoo) to have a variety of vendor bought and player made donations accepted as well as plain, old cash. After that, an annual spring cleaning event could come along and mop up excess artifacts and event items and then give out some cool rewards, the best of which should remain specific to the year.

...also, make EM a paying job and let them give out event items under some stringent guidelines. The events that I've participated in have just been cobbled together monster mashes or very annoying "guess the password" games where people spam 20 lines of text trying to get an NPC to say something. Further, giving out event items to all the participants will make it easier for newer players to participate in all aspects of the game.

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
There are some interestingly long posts here. I've never seen Iris2 before and that didn't look really good. As long as the game stayed isometric it would still feel the same. The graphics need a little more attention to detail too.

I don't agree with adding mail boxes and an ingame auction house. I like how players run their own auctions and I like how not having mail boxes means you have to interact with people. However I am a rper.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
CheesePlant, I agree that having to interact is a feature of UO, it's just awkward at times to get in touch with people you meet on the forums.

Its hard if someone expresses interest in joining your guild, and you have to use ICQ or uof to figure out if theyre online. Mail wouldn't even have to let you transfer items and gold, just messages.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

CheesePlant, I agree that having to interact is a feature of UO, it's just awkward at times to get in touch with people you meet on the forums.

Its hard if someone expresses interest in joining your guild, and you have to use ICQ or uof to figure out if theyre online. Mail wouldn't even have to let you transfer items and gold, just messages.

That's not all, there's also the issue of getting people together to get an Arcane Focus.

Zal

Zal

Grandmaster Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I vote for UO2.. Same game basically just re-make the entire game in a new engine like Blizzard is doing for Diablo 3.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
UO in the diablo 3 engine would be epic.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

UO in the diablo 3 engine would be epic.

I'd settle for high-res Diablo II. That game does not look that bad at all if you put it in a small window. It looks dated now because even relatively old computers by today's standards run in at least 1280 x 960 or 1440 x 900 when Diablo II maxes out at 1024 x 768. Mine is only about a year old and it's running at a whopping 1680 x 1050, which can make old games look very old indeed.

Besides, if you go with Diablo II-ish graphics you'll likely get Diablo II-ish specs, which still leaves open the door for older computers to play the game, and the few that are excluded can be replaced very cheaply nowandays. I've seen little, tiny 9"x6" laptops with solid performance priced at under $300.

Zanwe

Zanwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i wonder why Mythic cant use the Warhammer UI and engine for UO? is it that hard to move over and insert the uo graphics? I dont want uo to look like war but i liked the engine and the UI over there...

I only chose War as an example cause its the newest mmo out for Mythic.

wheelbarrel

wheelbarrel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I started playing UO in 2002, LBR. After just two years i gave up on UO because of the other supposed better games out there. Well after all 5 years I have kind of missed playing UO so i decided to give it a try again.. Things are different, that's for sure. What happend to all the people? And wow, there is all kinds of place to place a house. My first night back i placed a 18x18 in malas after 5 minutes of searching.
I just wanted to add my vote to the UO:2 making.. I know itll probably never happen but whats wrong with wishful thinking.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

I'd settle for high-res Diablo II. That game does not look that bad at all if you put it in a small window. It looks dated now because even relatively old computers by today's standards run in at least 1280 x 960 or 1440 x 900 when Diablo II maxes out at 1024 x 768. Mine is only about a year old and it's running at a whopping 1680 x 1050, which can make old games look very old indeed.

Besides, if you go with Diablo II-ish graphics you'll likely get Diablo II-ish specs, which still leaves open the door for older computers to play the game, and the few that are excluded can be replaced very cheaply nowandays. I've seen little, tiny 9"x6" laptops with solid performance priced at under $300.

I have one of those little netbooks and I love it. It doesnt run much other than UO 2D, but the reason it's great is that it's battery lasts bloody forever, due to the screen drawing less power.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, bring, online, release, start, ultima