Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima Online 2. bring it back, start over, and release it.

- - - - - back bring online release start ultima

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

XD4

XD4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Seeing as how the MMO genre wouldn't be here without UO, and how most MMO players out there have payed UO at some point in time, you just KNOW UO2 would get a ton of subs.

Do it. Do it.

I'll help develop it. For free. You like the word free, don't you EA?
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
*nods*

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
not going to happen, not with Warhammer Online getting nearer to its release. Best us UO players can expect is a few more expansions if we are lucky.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I only wish I was rich enough to buy the UO franchise from EA, set-up a developing studio, call Garriot and the original team back and say:
"This game can't die. It needs you all."
And then give them complete freedom to creat UO2 they way it should be.
Deep, sandboxed, community-centric, and full of lore.

We are Ultima Online

Guest_Doomsday Dragon_*

Guest_Doomsday Dragon_*
  • Guests

I only wish I was rich enough to buy the UO franchise from EA, set-up a developing studio, call Garriot and the original team back and say:
"This game can't die. It needs you all."
And then give them complete freedom to creat UO2 they way it should be.
Deep, sandboxed, community-centric, and full of lore.

I say bring back everyone except LB because if he came back UO2 would have space ships and lazer guns...

Aside from that the idea of buying out Ultima Online is great. Imagine if the right person bought the game out and did everything right. Ah one can dream eh.

Ceridwen

Ceridwen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
To be honest, I can't imagine how you imagine UO:2 to be a success if they do no advertising, like now...
Sorry, just something that bugs me a lot. :(
When it comes to running, some are just legendary at birth, and others never learn, I'm sorry to say. - Lady Hester Tarian

Being legendary in running doesn't always help someone like me who is also legendary in dying.

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I say bring back everyone except LB because if he came back UO2 would have space ships and lazer guns...

Aside from that the idea of buying out Ultima Online is great. Imagine if the right person bought the game out and did everything right. Ah one can dream eh.

I don't know... the Ultima world is his vision, and his lore. He may be on a "nerdieval trekkie" trend now, but the man could make it once, he sure could do it again...
Besides, I'd be there to bitchslap him across the face when he first talks about cyborgs again. =)

I really wish I could bring the first years of development back, no "Name_EAMythic"... but MrTact, Sunsword, and that whole aura of "we want to make the best game, not the current trend"

Once I read an article about the first years of Origin, and they had a sign over the exit door that said "Sleeping is for the weak", so pulling all-nighters fed by pizza were commom things back then, just for the passion of it.
Of course they're older and have families and worries now, but I'm pretty sure we can find some young and well-disposed young developers with a passion for UO to put fingers to work.
(I'd hire myself, for one)

We are Ultima Online

lucitus

lucitus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
K Players lets buy UO back from EA! How much we need?

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Heheh, you guys really want EA managing another MMO? :laugh:
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Vitas

Vitas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey i agree with the guy... how much? and see if we can atleast get what they have done... if they can sell or give away all of the files and tools they used to create uo2. if we can we can make uo shard, that supports uo2. but it would be cool if we bouth it...

Valas

Valas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I dont think UO:2 was close enough to release to have any stable versions or the source code for it. Im guessing it probally got ditched around half way through.

I agree with all of this, if EA seen sense then they would put the old UO team back in charge, make them choose the next desicions of the game, put them back onto the course for UO2.

Seriously, if UO2 was updated and brought out now, Warhammer and Warcraft can kiss there sorry arses good bye because the MMORPG community would come back to UO. I live to say that UO will have its day again. there is still a very bright light at the end of the tunnel.

That UO2 source code will be stashed somwere, instead of bringing out clients to replace clients and patching over old stuff, see were the old guys left off and build a whole new client around UO2.

Vitas

Vitas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
lol. i think it would end up like oblivion graphics. its just like a game i play called Street Legal Racing. it came out of a pizza box. but i found mods and patches. it now looks off the chain. but my pc is not that great to run on full graphics... lol.
i hope u see my point....

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think the best we're going to get is UOKR rebadged as "Stygian abyss client"
And even that, is going to use older 2D art for tiles and whatnot.
I don't think they're ever going to bring out UO2 and I'd hazard a guess, they're never going to release the source code, even if you offered billions of $.

Vitas

Vitas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well they just a suck a** then.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
from what i remember reading about it, i think it was far from being finished.

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
UO:2 = Darkfall Online. EA will never sell UO because it would be competition. They will choke the game till death.

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

UO:2 = Darkfall Online. EA will never sell UO because it would be competition. They will choke the game till death.

Everything in this world has a price.

Or am I just cynical?

UO:2 looked awesome and I do know someone who worked on a 3d version of UO from a hobby point of view and I saw it and it was good
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
i wish that SA would looks like diablo III or Titan Quest. simple example feature when player walk on water that it has animation in water how water moves. and in KR they !!!!ed up ground tiles and everything else its so blurry. early KR screenshots looked much nicer but still not even close like D III and TQ

skreid

skreid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have to agree with the idea for several reasons.

Customizable housing is awesome, but 99% of the custom houses in this game are utter crap. Massive eye sores that degrade the quality of the game to unbearable levels.

Inflation. I remember a time when I could by a gold skull for 25k. I haven't yet seen a vendor with one for less than 200k! What happened! Prices for everything has skyrocketed! Every type of rare (the sucky new ones at least) has doubled, if not more, in price. Besides, all the old rares are so much better (yea, I still have my first picnic basket, that cost quite a bit). Not to mention, a lot of the new artifacts just add to the eyesore. Even giant beetles! What happened? I'm glad I have a tamer because there's no way I'm paying 20k for a beetle that cost 5k when they were first introduced :(

Felucca. What. The. F***! I used to have a house a couple minutes walk from the Buc Den teleporter pad, which was usually SWARMING with at LEAST 100 players! Even during off hours, you could find a dozen people to PvP or even TALK to!

UO is emulating the US economy. The real estate market has completely collapsed. My house, as I said, was in Fel near the Buc Den teleporter pad. It was a small stone tower along the dirt path. There were TWO castles in the area. Now, the entire area is either blank grass or castles and keeps. Not to mention it is completely devoid of other players. I mean, I just walked a little south of the white bridge outside Luna and placed a 18x18! I could have placed a bigger house if it were allowed in Malas! This wasn't the case when the land was first introduced. A while after Malas appeared, I made a living by doing NOTHING but placing 8x8 houses in little spots that people had missed- and selling them for huge profit!

Online gold sale. Looking around on the internet, gold is going for an average of $1.25 per million! With such easy access to unlimited gold (which, in my mind, is 100x times worse than dupers and bug exploiters), anyone can have anything if they have a credit card. What happened to actually playing the game and earning what you got? WHY is this not against the TOS? I don't mind people selling off their accounts when they leave the game, but it's a game. Or it used to be. Now it's a JOB for a lot of people, and a joke for the rest of us.

The new land areas are OK, but there is so little to do. All it did was add more housing space, which contributed to the housing collapse. A lucky few were able to beat the AoS release (I, unfortunately, couldn't log in for 3 days after it's release), and have made a mockery of the interior of Luna.

Spring cleaning. You turned in old crap for new crap. Yay! Trade in your worthless crap, get crap that people will buy, jack up the price, and voila! Become super rich because the UO team can't manage the amount of junk they have created in the game.

Special clothes/weapons/whatnot. Kinda cool, but not UO-style. I LOVED the UO gameplay because it didn't include mythical, non-existent garbage. What happened to regular weapons that did regular damage? Why the need for the elf and gargoyle race? Why not focus on areas of the game that have been completely neglected? Why introduce MORE crap that is only going to lead to the demise of what was once the best MMORPG out there? Plus, it's kind of annoying when you can see the full rainbow just by walking through Luna. BRIGHT neon shields and whatnot are also pretty junky.

Decent game play. Remember when bags of sending, trans location powder and zoogi fungus were first introduced? HORDES of players were trying out this new awesome thing. I remember most of us set up a waiting system- we lined up in one of the tunnels, and only killed in turn. But wait- while you waited, you could actually talk to fellow players! Make friends, anything! I just sat at the Luna bank for an hour and not a single word was spoken!

Illshnear and T2A revitalization. I have -never- seen these lands so underused. I watched videos of the SA meeting, showing off how UO has 5 or whatever continents.... no amount of land mass matters when there are only a dozen people to interact with! I mean, remember those stone crafting books? The ones you could only get in Illshnear? People used to go in, buy them for 10k, sell them for 15k, and a crafter would make normal furniture, not any of this garbage you can get with a heritage token (or for $1.50 and a quick trip to a gold website).

Champ spawns/skill caps. What's the point? Why go through all that trouble when you can just buy the powerscroll you need at one of the 98274827349278348 vendors stocked full of them? Yea, the idea was cool, and I loved to do champs with random groups of people (and it was always just random people making there way to a champ spawn!), but the execution was terrible. I've visited all of the champ spawns since coming back, and they were all empty. That was unheard of for a long time after their introduction!

Quests. GIVE US SOMETHING TO DO! Sure, going to Doom and killing the same handful of creatures is fun for a while, but a DECENT quest would be nice here or there. All the developers need to do is get a WoW account and see what it's all about. I'm not saying go and add 3872493827894 quests like WoW, but SOMETHING would be nice! And not some garbage you can do in 2 minutes with a runebook and get some worthless item that is now flooding the UO economy with it's worthlessness.

Moongates/faccet travel. Remember when you had to go find a MOONSTONE to get to fel? Raise you're hand if you know what I'm talking about! All of this rapid transport junk is adding to the devaluation of items.

PvP. Or lack thereof. What has happened to the PvP system? It has become so unbalanced it isn't even funny.

Graphics. A huge upgrade isn't needed. I don't play Wow because I don't like the view- I like looking down on the world. But the graphics have remained largely the same since the game's inception. And the "3d" clients are just crap. If I wanted Age of Empire graphics, I'd play AOE (in AOE's defense, they did it better than OSI). Seriously, just upgrade it a little! Even if it was on the level of Diablo II it wouldn't be so bad!

Item insurance. WHAT! This, along with 100% LRC suits, have become MASSIVE anti-gold sinks, allowing 100's of millions of gold pieces to remain in game (or, again, be sold on some gold website).

Lastly, although this need not be considered, player run vendors should totally die when you dismissed them like they used to.

It's very sad that this has become a one player game, when it was once filled with 100's of people. Just walk up to the Brit bank, ask for some people, and you have a good group going! I bet you 1 million gold that you can't go into the Luna bank today and arrange a decent Doom group.

UO needs to rollback to UO:R, fix those bugs, then enhance the game from there.

:(

Edit: looking back, I *think* I *might* have said several reasons, but then I started typing and got a little angry at the mismanagement of the game =\

iheartcullens

iheartcullens

Phoenix Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Let's have someone else buy it from EA and then we can get together people who know what they are doing to develop the game. I will volunteer to be part of customer service lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, bring, online, release, start, ultima