Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Need Help With Template, I Feel Like A Worthless Loser...

- - - - - feel loser template worthless

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
100 Swordsmanship
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
90 Healing
96.5 Parry (stuck)
96 Bushido (also stuck)
65 Chivalry

Why I'm disastisfied with this guy, well... I went to Melissa tonight and saw only mages, necromancers and animal tamers and a few archers and started to wonder... why am I wasting a character slot on this loser? He can't fight Peerless. Actually, one hit from a balron killed him, so... I need a makeover. I have only one small idea and thats to ditch Bushido for Resisting Spells, or dump Bushido, Parry and Swords for Archery, Music and Peacemaking? Sorry, I'm too big of a loser to know anything else. Any help would be... helpful. Maybe from someone who successfully kills peerless??

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
What you have is very close to an extremely powerful character.

The first thing you want to do is add as much swordsmanship as you can afford to your template. 110 is good, 115 is better, 120 is perfect. Hitting more often is great, not getting hit is better.

On that note, add as much defense chance increase to your suit as you can afford. I noticed a HUGE difference in my samurai's performance when I added 45% DCI.

Then, think about vampire form. With 35 points in necromancy (personally, I have 65 points), you can get enough necromancy increasing items (ring/bracelet/talisman/+20 necro arms) to go to vampire form, which gives you the life leeching property. In high end battles, it's very good to have.

I take both of my samurai (one with vamp form, one without) to Miasma quite often and rarely have trouble. It just takes some getting used to healing with confidence or leeching rather than healing skill or chivalry spell. If you can do that, then the mortal strikes have little effect on you either.

I also did better against Melissa with my warriors than with my mage. The damage output was just so much better with the right weapon.

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I guess I'm just having trouble finding good equipment. I have yet to see any suits of armor for sell except for LRC armor, or virtue armor sets. It's almost as if all crafters quit the game... I don't even see any weapons for sell unless its loot or slayer weapons, not too great. I was lucky enough to find a soul seeker for sell and it wasn't cheap. I can't find any DCI jewelry either... so I guess I suck in every aspect of the game.

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Don't be so down! What shard are you on?

I would feel pretty good using that template. You just need a little guidance in armor and what not. If we're talking PvM here, warriors need much more specific equipment than mages.

Risso

Risso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Woah woah woah thats not a loser template! :P I've taken similar to Melissa and other Peerless and dealt a fair amount of damage, with minimal dirtnaps :P. The question is are you looking to solo Peerless or fight as part of a group? If you are looking at the solo route you probably will want to go the sampire route (for info see pretty much every thread in the samurai forum :))

My straight PvM warrior is:

120 Swords
110 Parry
110 Anatomy
110 Tactics
90 Healing
75 Chivalry

100 str/115 dex/35 int (+20 stats)

I'll also put 100 resist on if needed, but with the Remove Curse spell for Chivalry I'm finding its not really necessary for PvM. Those 100 skill points I will probably put into Bushido (Evasion works the way Resist used to so = better :D) or scroll up my other skills.

Stat-wise I like to keep my str high so I can collect leather for my crafter, you might want to have it about 80 or 90 if you're not planning on using heavy items such as platemail or heater shields and then put the extra points into int. Also useful to have dex as high as possible, although more dexxer items offer dex boosts so its not that hard to get to the 150 cap.

Of course it is also a case of finding the right armour and weapons, Soulseeker is generally the best for a swordsman. Armour-wise if you haven't already you might want to start a blacksmith or tailor so you can craft your own with runics, sure buying pieces is quick but it is definately not cheap! Thats depending on time available and availability of BODs on your shard though. For training I would recommend a suit with 70 resist in physical, you won't need anything else for fighting ogre lords, trogs etc and they can get you up to 120 in weapon skills and Bushido etc. For parry see the guide in the warrior forum - it is definitely the fastest method to GM+. Hope some of that helps :P

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

I have yet to see any suits of armor for sell except for LRC armor, or virtue armor sets.

You probably won't find the perfect "suit" for sale. Most, if not all, of the most powerful players in the game use pieced-together suits of various parts. There are some artifact items that may work for you, then add to that some player-crafted or player-enhanced pieces available for sale, and you can create your own suit. I found using a spreadsheet very valuable in making my current suit, but pencil and paper work as well. List the resists and what mods matter to you, and head out to the shops. See a nice piece? Write down the info. Build the suit on paper first, so you don't waste your precious gold on a piece of armor that doesn't end up fitting your end-suit.

Don't give up! The character you have described, as some have already said, has the makings of a great toon... just pay close attention to the right mods on your suit, and learn to use Confidence, and you should be good to go! Good Luck!=)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
my swords guy is plain vanilla old school

120 swords/tact/anat/res/heal/parry

he has museum shield for 15 hci/dci
sprit of the totem
ring of vile
jackals
res bracer (for 15 res) my a/c only year old
primar of arms
crimmy
barb leather for the rest
his
he is over 100 str(at work so dont now how high) and
140 dex (4 second bandies)

i can take this guy anywhere in game. granted i cannot solo peerless with him but he cashes much gold for me.

set up though is spendy and takes some time and horse trading to get the items. 120 healing is awesome as i can go from 1/4 life to dam near full on one bandage. my guildie runs the same temp and if we xheal each other for 2 sec bandies we can really put a hurting on things.

we can literally clear out the ogre lord room in the etheral fortress in about 2 minutes...

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
The KR client also works well for suit building, as it tells you the resists, MR, HPR, DCI, HCI, etc, etc in the various gumps.

Don't forget a little-used set of armor: The Darkwood Armor Suit. This is a Mondain's Legacy craftable suit (if you have the proper peerless ingredients). When properly crafted using Bloodwood, it gives you all 70s (except 67 cold) and HP regen 12. This is an excellent suit for a warrior and I have one friend who uses nothing *but* this suit on several characters, even a Tamer.

If you add a Primer on Damage Removal Talisman and some decent jewelry, you'll find you have a pretty good setup.

No recipes required.

~M

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
There's nothing really wrong with your template.

Characters like that can do, and have done, fine in high-level PvM and in PvP as well (though Resist Spells is of tremendous use in PvP).

If you were one-hit killed by a balron, perhaps either it was a Paragon or you were enemy of oned to Melissa, or both.

That's just a risk.

You could also dump Chiv or Bushido, and concentrate only on one of them, and do fine as well. I find the Resist/Parry debate to be a personal choice. However, a Parry-Warrior can solo a Doom boss whereas a resist-warrior will have a much tougher time.

-Galen's player

Degerdi

Degerdi

Waiting to steal your monacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
120 swords and drop bush for resist, trust me you will not be sorry
Curses! Who stole my monacle? :mycry:

Gaspar LeMarc

Gaspar LeMarc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Don't get yourself down on this template. I'm playing it and having fun... I did dish bushido in favor of resist spells. With a 70's resist suit, you can get your resists to a real value of 100 with GM resist spells (I think). My character focused on HP regen pieces and I was surprised at how nice it worked out. You can get HP regen up to a max of 18 I think.

My advice is to favor defense with your template. Get your DCI to 45 and as much HP regen as possible. Grab resist spells to add up to 30 resists to each category in your suit. It's not terribly expensive if you focus on these properties only, at first.

Once you get these properties up, close to 70's all around with GM resist spells and 45 DCI with a shield to parry... you can make money doing a lot of regular old PVM because you won't get hit much and when you do, you'll only take minimal damage that will heal up quick with a basic life leech weapon and your crazy HP regen. Then, you'll be able to work on the damage increase and HCI once you have the cash.

And if you're on Atlantic, let me know! I love to run around the old-school dungeons exploring and fighting all kinds of monsters.

~Gaspar LeMarc

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

100 Swordsmanship
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
90 Healing
96.5 Parry (stuck)
96 Bushido (also stuck)
65 Chivalry

Why I'm disastisfied with this guy, well... I went to Melissa tonight and saw only mages, necromancers and animal tamers and a few archers and started to wonder... why am I wasting a character slot on this loser? He can't fight Peerless. Actually, one hit from a balron killed him, so... I need a makeover. I have only one small idea and thats to ditch Bushido for Resisting Spells, or dump Bushido, Parry and Swords for Archery, Music and Peacemaking? Sorry, I'm too big of a loser to know anything else. Any help would be... helpful. Maybe from someone who successfully kills peerless??

If you can do all da stuff by yerselfs, guess it wouldn't be much a game now, would it.

Peeps seemed to have forgots dat.

Dis a game. Enjoy yer worth. Play well wit da others. Don'ts try to be da champs. Den, when yous gots it, you wills be.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
Just to add on to the heaps of others positive reinforcement, you have the makings of a great character. Do check out the samurai posts as I have seen the "sampiri" type character do amazing things. It is a pretty heavy item dependent template but that will come over time. I've seen these templates take down peerless solo time after time. Heck I once watched a guy do it 3 times in a row garnering 2 cc's. those alone paid for almost his entire suit. Stick with it and fine tune it and you will have a great warrior!

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I will have to look into those Vampurai/Vampshido/Dracula-San/Shogun of the Dark (or Harlem)... I did not use enemy of one in that Melissa battle, the balron literally hit me one time and I was down to 10 health. I had a full suit of valour on, all 70%, soul seeker... my friend who has all 120s swords/tact/parry/anat/heal/chivalry also died. But he doesn't seem to give a crap about that. He sometimes soloes Melissa and gives me corruption or blight to make things with, but I don't know how he does it, he does that when I'm not on.
Anyway... gotta go. I think making a bloodwood darkwood suit will be my next goal, luckily I have this guy to gather me peerless loot because there's no way in hell I can solo any peerless.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
That's actually a solid character type, so don't go knocking yourself for not having the right items.

I find people generally put (overpriced) junk on vendors, and most of it generally isn't that great.

It's just not possible to solo everything in the game, but you can come pretty close...your best bet is doing peerlesses with others to get a grasp on just how effective your template really is...because you can definitely assist in a group with that set-up. Just move in once the pets/evs get to it, you should be ok.

Make sure to carry lots of cure, heal, and refresh pots. Greater agility helps too. It usually saves my melee chars from having to do divine fury, but both cause an insane increase in swing speed.

Well, soul seeker is repond slayer, but you shouldn't be getting additional damage unless it's an undead slayer, unless they changed something.

Every slayer used to have an opposing slayer type, ie, use undead slayer on a demon and it will do double damage on you. Not sure if they changed it or if it's still the same.

It would explain the astronomical damage if it was changed, however...

I was wondering, as galen said:

By any chance, it wasn't a paragon balron, was it?

Those hurt severely when anyone tries to tank them. Tamers are your best option for dealing with those.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the darkwood suit is only usable by an elf character.

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
No it wasn't a golden balron, though I did see a dead one on the floor... the one that hit me was silver-ish. He tore me apart. Literally tore out my intestines. My character can no longer poop. I guess this is why they opted to leave bathrooms out of the game?

I always knew potions were good for something. I've spent the greater part of my time in this game working on two super mules. Basically my first character has these skills now: Blacksmithy 110 , Mining 100, Tinkering 100, Carpentry 100, Tailoring 50 (just for Tessens), Musicianship 45 (for instruments), Arms Lore 100, Magery 90 (goes down to 80 when I get Legendary Blacksmith, whenever the game deems to stop giving me crappy BODs). My second character has this: Tailoring 100 (want to become Legendary some day but not as good at this as Blacksmithy), Bowcrafting 100, Lumberjacking 100, Carpentry 100, Arms Lore 100, Alchemy 100, Magery 95, Blacksmithy 5 (helps out with more smithy BODs). I can make almost anything now, except for runebooks and food. I am working on a pure mage with inscription, but after doing some testing on TC1, I am not so sure a pure class of mage is a good idea at all. I couldn't even really handle paragon titans on my own.

Not sure what I am babbling about, I just wanted to remind myself of all the hard work I've put into the game. Trying not to give up, I guess. I have a lot to learn, and I keep asking questions here so much that eventually I'll piss everyone off and there won't be much point in playing the game anyway, since everyone will hate my guts. *sigh*

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
I have a samurai/paladin template with 115 bushido, 115 swords, and 115 parry, and STILL get rocked by the balrons in that room. I wear an all 70's suit with 40 DCI, and get hit for 34-40 regularly, and upwards of 50-60 on special occassions. Using an enhanced Ornate Axe, with no slayer bonus, so the opposing slayer type is not the issue (for my character at least). I don't know what it is, but the Balrons have my number. Melissa, on the other hand, isn't nearly as deadly with the same character. I have stood toe-to-toe with her on a couple outings, and not suffered any major set-backs. I don't know what it is, but the Balrons seem to have eaten their Wheaties...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well at least it's not just me. :P

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
Heh... nope, not just you! =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feel, loser, template, worthless