Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What would you remove from UO, and why?

- - - - - remove uo

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
We all have seen and done complaints about how throughout the years the Devs have ignored player requests and implemented systems, skills, items, and whatever else that were never request and only drove the game away from what it used to be.
This would give the wrong impression that the player-base is entirely in accordance when it comes to what is wrong with the game. We all play UO in our own ways, and like different things about the game, thus making our own interpretations of what it should be.

There are many requests to add even more things to the game, be it new systems, skills, items or just some "fix" to you class.
the way I see it, though, the game is already full of systems that don't work, or that cripple the nature of the game.
That said, what do you think are the things that were either bad ideas or just bad implemented?

Mine are:
Item Properties - This was bad implemented. UO had always been a skill based game, and items were mere tools. Giving items so many properties shifted focus from you to your equipment, essentially changing the gameplay which affected so much of the combat balance that many other changes had to be made. All of a sudden, a weaker opponent with a better weapon could take you on a fight. DCI, HCI, HR, MR, LRC, LMC... I get that all of this was intend to give combat more diversity and a bit of random chance, but a game should be built around that concept, not the other way around. All of a sudden mages could fight and warriors could cast lightnings. I don't like the constraint of classes, but giving all power to anyone through a piece of metal isn't what I call balance.

Insurance - Once losing a sword became the worst that could happen to you, measures had to be taken to avoid the severe crippling of not having your well-round up set of armor. Before properties, you'd die, lose your equip, get angry that you died, get some new equipment and do it all over again, but then, with properties, having a single ring looted meant you couldn't hit as hard or cast as fast or last as long as you could, and this would ruin the game until you got a second set that would empower you as much as your previous one. The solution? Avoid getting important items stolen from you, as long as you pay for it. Excelent money drain, awful way of keeping the game challenging.
If you decide to insure every single thing you can wear, plus bandages or potions or regs you'd pay around 9k on death. I can make that in under 30 minutes in Ilshenar, and I'm not even strong.
Before insurance, you had to at least get back to your home and re-equip, if you couldn't get to your body.
When I got back to UO, after insurance, I avoided using insurance. But then I realised that if I lost my armor, the game would be pretty much over until I got another one, and since I'm neither very rich or very strong, that would take a lot of time.

New Moongate System - Not many people agree with me on this one, but anyway... The old moongate system, based on the Trammel and Felluca moons, should not have been replaced by a gump with a list of all the places you can go. The old system allowed for a lore to grow around it, there were books and studies conducted by players to understand how they worked, and this is, to me what separates UO from the rest. Also made the game more "challenging" since some places would not be accessible throught moongates you had to either gate or cast there (provided you had the right rune), walk or sail. You'd see people walking around more, and discovering more and adventuring more. Allowing you to got from wherever you are to wherever you want diminished the whole exploring side of Ultima Online. The same goes to allowing casting recall spells even without mage skill.

What do you think should be removed from UO?

We are Ultima Online

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Great post/topic.

I agree with your 3, and only add the removal of the removal of red stat loss (was never around for it, if that's what it was). Why? Obviously, there should be something (other than being bound to Fel and freely attackable) to make it not so comfortable being red.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
i liked the game better before powerscrolls, so i would take them out.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts

Item Properties - This was bad implemented. UO had always been a skill based game, and items were mere tools. Giving items so many properties shifted focus from you to your equipment, essentially changing the gameplay which affected so much of the combat balance that many other changes had to be made. All of a sudden, a weaker opponent with a better weapon could take you on a fight. DCI, HCI, HR, MR, LRC, LMC... I get that all of this was intend to give combat more diversity and a bit of random chance, but a game should be built around that concept, not the other way around. All of a sudden mages could fight and warriors could cast lightnings. I don't like the constraint of classes, but giving all power to anyone through a piece of metal isn't what I call balance.

AGREED!

this is one of the resons i love europa rp. we are strictly gm made armor only.

I never have been able to put my head around all that. anything else confuses me.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
My apologies for my suggestion:

- I would make the artefacts, crimsons, minor artefacts, runics, bods and power and stat scrolls... account bonded.
(each item could be individually discussed)

This would end cheating in a flash... nothing to sell, nothing to cheat for... nothing to make a profit with.

It would make life harder for folk... in the begining yes... mid/long term it would make folk hunt a bit more...

and above all... mid/long term...
- all players that script for val hammers, barbed kits, fletching kits... would stop doing it.
- all guilds that cheat to control felluca would stop doing it...
- all sites that sell those items promoting cheating/scripting would vanish...

"Viva La Revolution!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D'Amavir

D'Amavir

House D'Amavir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

My apologies for my suggestion:

- I would make the artefacts, crimsons, minor artefacts, runics, bods and power and stat scrolls... account bonded.

That would kill UO for me. I would prefer they removed them all together. If I wasnt able to buy the scrolls and items I need to be competetive against people that are all artied and scrolled out, I would just leave. I don't enjoy pvm at all so I would never get any items. I like rp and occassionally rp pvp.

Thats the main reason I left WoW. It was all item based as well plus the high end items were soul bound to the player that got them. I can handle going out and grinding mid level spawns for gold then buying what I need but forcing me to go out and farm high end monsters just doesnt sound appealing to me.

Actually, I am considering a move to Europa if I can hookup with some players there to see what they offer. I have heard that they have a few anti arty rules that sound appealing. If thats the case I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason to stay on Cats.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Maybe it is me... but all of the above are easy to get.

Artefacts... new system... easy.
Runics... new system... easy.
Powerscrolls... players take turns protecting.

We take newcomers to the gauntlet... they seem to get artefacts too.

Anyone can collect bods... 1 skill point on some chars to get a bod per hour... then have a legendary tailor/smith turn them in...

We can spawn if we wish... just not doing it for now so we take the leeches out of the Alliance... (11 days... 92 characters removed/moved out)

UO became item based.. that is true.
But it is also VERY EASY to get almost everything... no need to buy/trade...

But again... this is a personal perspective.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I wonder what would happen if there was a massive organized trend among players to not use item properties, in all shards.

I'm talking some 65% or more of the players commiting to use only crafted armor and weapons, and not insureing... would that have any effect on the dev team? On their decisions about this?

It's easy to "ignore" small groups in some shard, but what do you think would happen in that case? Could the system be changed?

We are Ultima Online

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I would remove gold from monsters. Maybe keep it on peerless and champs and doom bosses. New players do not start with 1K gold, either. NPCs only have the gold to buy items from players equivalent to the gold removed from the economy through chivalry and insurance.

Short term: new players (what new players?) are hurt. Poor players have the same difficulty they have now purchasing expensive items.

Mid Term: Alternate economy develops, enabling poorer players to barter for the things they need. Gold farming stops, because there isn't any more gold to farm. Players return to Doom. Stockpiles of gold are sold at a higher price among brokers, but those stockpiles get distributed among the entire playerbase as people begin selling long-hoarded items to raise cash.

Mid/Long Term: Insurance begins to take its toll. Eventually, only the very best items are insured and the rest is fair game for thieves and Pks. People are forced to Felucca ruleset to fight for insurance money, invigorating pvp. Some people leave Felucca forever, but they weren't that in to it anyhow. Resource scripters stop scripting because there is no one to buy anymore, or the prices are too low to justify the effort and they go script in W:AR.

Long Term: Gold deflation makes crafting a viable profession again, as NPCs will still buy items for gold. The average player can amass enough gold through casual resource gathering and crafting to buy items that were previously insanely overpriced due to inflation.

Pipe dream and probably wrong on several counts, but still...

~M

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
@Pitr:

Unintended consequence of your suggestion: Thieves die forever.

~M

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Magister,

I can't agree with your "take the gold off monsters" bit. You fail to include items the monsters drop, which could be sold/smelted for gold. It wouldn't do anything to anything except annoy everyone as just an added step to make gold. It's akin to the BoS change.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Another thought (sorry - can't edit posts from work):

@Pitr: Those people scripting hammers, kits, and such would just switch to selling the uber armor/weapons. There is no interpretation of the BOD system that can, in any way, convince me that a verite or valorite hammer is "easy to get." The casual player never, ever sees one unless he/she wins the UO lottery.

I've done BODs since they came out and best I've ever gotten is a Gold Hammer and one Valorite SBOD that didn't fit in an LBOD. 6 smiths, everyday, all day when it was one BOD per hour. 3 smiths and about 50K BODs turned in since the change.

Tailor Runics? Yes. Smith Runics? Hell, I've never gotten an anvil.

~M

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
@DiP:

You missed the part where NPCs can only buy items using gold raked in from Chivary use and insurance payout. If that's too much gold floating around, we could reduce their gold pool to a percentage of those numbers.

~M

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Once i played in a freeshard where NPCs could only buy as much as they had sold.
Their inventory and cash was dictated by how much they bought and sold

We are Ultima Online

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Also @ DiP (woot, watch my postcount grow!)

Removing gold from monsters is the only viable way to stabilize the economy. I reference the UOForums post in the "Trade" section, where an English-challenged individual is looking for help finding brokers to purchase 1 billion gold per week, per shard. Gold farming at that level will destroy what's left of our trade system.

Obviously, high-priced collection items (~12million gold for an 800K point piece) didn't work. Bannings that pulled 14-17 trillion gold out of the economy some years back didn't have a noticeable effect and has probably been replaced by now.

My solution isn't perfect, but we need something closer to a closed economy for a gold-based purchasing system to survive. Drastic measures are needed to rescue the Sosarian Dollar!

Just look at how much more the Ratman race's currency is worth! /wink

~M

D'Amavir

D'Amavir

House D'Amavir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Another thought (sorry - can't edit posts from work):

@Pitr: Those people scripting hammers, kits, and such would just switch to selling the uber armor/weapons. There is no interpretation of the BOD system that can, in any way, convince me that a verite or valorite hammer is "easy to get." The casual player never, ever sees one unless he/she wins the UO lottery.

I've done BODs since they came out and best I've ever gotten is a Gold Hammer and one Valorite SBOD that didn't fit in an LBOD. 6 smiths, everyday, all day when it was one BOD per hour. 3 smiths and about 50K BODs turned in since the change.

Tailor Runics? Yes. Smith Runics? Hell, I've never gotten an anvil.

~M

Not to mention the fact that doing bods is the most mind numbingly boring thing I have ever done in any game ever. Some people enjoy it. Some people even enjoy rp'ing a smith that actually MAKES AND REPAIRS weapons and armor that people use. God bless them. I still remember in 98 there was a guy with a small house just outside the Yew Cem that made weapons and armor and did repairs for people. Was great fun to actually rp with a smith making your items instead of double clicking a repair deed and doing it yourself.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

@DiP:

You missed the part where NPCs can only buy items using gold raked in from Chivary use and insurance payout. If that's too much gold floating around, we could reduce their gold pool to a percentage of those numbers.

~M

So the gold that is in game now stays, it won't be lost this way. It moves from player to player, then from player to NPC/Insurance. There will always be gold in the pot to get.

Also, what purpose are you shooting for?

Mid/Long Term: Insurance begins to take its toll. Eventually, only the very best items are insured and the rest is fair game for thieves and Pks. People are forced to Felucca ruleset to fight for insurance money, invigorating pvp. Some people leave Felucca forever, but they weren't that in to it anyhow. Resource scripters stop scripting because there is no one to buy anymore, or the prices are too low to justify the effort and they go script in W:AR.

This won't happen.

Long Term: Gold deflation makes crafting a viable profession again, as NPCs will still buy items for gold. The average player can amass enough gold through casual resource gathering and crafting to buy items that were previously insanely overpriced due to inflation.

If the end purpose is to give crafters love, it won't. As stated, gold moves within the game still in your scenario and all it will do is make players have to lug items around, sell/smelt/craft, get gold.

Removing gold from monsters is the only viable way to stabilize the economy.

Stabelizing the economy won't be done by messing with gold. The ITEMS drive the economy.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

dhekke

dhekke

I am the Gosso King!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I'm with Magister_returns that drastic measures may be needed to save Sosarian economy.

The idea of removing gold could actually work... but the item-based aspect should go too with the gold, otherwise people woudl just leave UO.

We are Ultima Online

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Oh, and forgot to mention:

Resource scripters stop scripting because there is no one to buy anymore, or the prices are too low to justify the effort

Gold deflation makes crafting a viable profession again

A bit contradictory?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

D'Amavir

D'Amavir

House D'Amavir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I'm with Magister_returns that drastic measures may be needed to save Sosarian economy.

The idea of removing gold could actually work... but the item-based aspect should go too with the gold, otherwise people woudl just leave UO.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would love love love if UO went away from being item based to become skill/tactics based. The Devs could come up with other pixel crack for those people that have billions they want to spend as long as its not items that become required for play. Make all of the statue and deco items you want, just dont make items that are required to have. Its the best of both worlds. Skill/tactic based gameplay PLUS pixel crack collectibles. Win win.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remove, uo