Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Heads up from Draconi on illegal 'unique seer item'

- - - - - draconi heads illegal item seer unique

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Posted on UO Stratics Forums > Trade Forums > UO Rares Collector ...
[Selling] Unique Seer item

A long time ago at a Seer event a Gamemaster forgot to lock down a few items, including a working moongate. The moongate works from a container but I would advise against carrying it with you for quick escapes because that would get it taken away. It is only animated when sitting on the ground.

Post your offers. Buyout is 5 billion gold.

Posted Image

a few comments later Draconi posted the following warning ...

07-02-2008, 04:22 PM #15 Posted Image Draconi_EA
UO Lead Designer

This item, or items like it, are completely illegal.

Being caught with it in the game will result in immediate termination. If you attempt to hide them we will find them.

If you are the owner of such an item, page in using the in-game reporting tool, with the title “Illegal Item” leading your text. A GM will remove the item and action will not be taken against your account.

Do not buy, trade, or attempt to sell items like these.

the original poster came back and stated ...

07-02-2008, 04:21 PM #14 JC the Builder

There is no moongate, it was a joke listing. I wanted to find out if there were people who would actually pay this amount of gold and it appears there are. One person bid 2 billion off the bat and another said he would bid higher if the item could be confirmed legal. It could have probably gotten 3.5 or up to 4 billion.

At least we know how much a moongate is worth now, if anyone actually has one.

which Draconi replied with a

07-02-2008, 04:24 PM #16 Posted Image Draconi_EA

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Draconi seems upset by this. lol

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Personally i don't find any humor in it and a waste of his productive time ...

*from such antics scams are built .... Although, I am very pleased that Draconi cared enough about players to let them know right away that such a thing would be illegal and bannable!

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
One wishes that EAMythic moved as fast to correct the problem with vinecords sandals when they first started being duped.

Oh well maybe they learned and are going to be more proactive now.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
one thing is too, you have to understand...the people who were in charge at those times weren't quite as emphatic about the game itself as the people who hold some of the more higher-up positions now. Draconi is going to do everything he is able to stamp out a lot of it, singlehandedly if he has to. I have faith in the new team leadership, it's just going to take time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Sorry calell that will not fly,

at least with me. Draconi was around for the entire screw up that became viencord sandal dupe problem. And other massively duped items.

I am tired of the excuse given by many players - well its a new team they need time. There have always been new team members coming and going for as long as UO has been active. Each and everytime, we the players have been told "we love UO", "we going to crack down on dupes, etc"

And recently see they have caught a few and publicly burned their houses, and I applaud this. But it does not make up for the fact that EAMythic let these items (vincord sandals, duped robes, et al) remain in game for such a long period of time that the dupers had ample time to make untold billions of gold and move it safer accounts.
so that for the most part, it was mainly the purchasers of these items that got hosed over. Even though I never purchased any of these items, I can feel for the people that paid the amount of gold that these items went for. But that is just my 2 cents.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
At that time, Draconi was NOT a high man on the totem pole. I know for a fact he and Wilki have fought tooth and nail over the last few years to make drastic, needed changes in the way UO is handled and ran. Think what you want, disparage them if you like, but it's hard for 2 or 3 or 10 people who really care to make changes like UO needed in a company like EA/Mythic. That they've managed to come this far to me is a huge accomplishment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
My two cents.....There really is a moongate... and the only way out was to say it was a joke.... Just an idea....

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
They've always been to slow to stop exploits, especially the larger ones
One in paticular that springs to mind is the ingot creation bug when AOS was launched
It was wildly abused and known, posted about on many boards, but wasn't fixed for several months.
Some of you may remember certain brokers having BILLIONS of gold and billions of ingots on Ebay during that time
Why did it take them months to stop it?

For those who don't remember it, it basically involved house addons.
You'd get back anything between 450-500 ingots
500 ingots every 2-3 seconds, so you can imagine how many were made in 3 months or so.

As for this post by JC, no comment. :P

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Instead of banning players who find exploits and use them, how about they fix the exploit. Instead of punishing developers for flawed code, they punish the player who is simply playing the game as designed =)

The fact that you can duplicate items on a server based game is rather upsetting. They eventually 'patch' these bugs, but the fact that after 10 years of developement you can still duplicate an item is kind of sad.

The dupers have moved on to event cloth...fyi

To truly understand something, change it.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Atleast Draconi hasn't found yours yet Maddux.

Maybe he doesn't go to Fel.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Took them 6 months to fix the 50gp neon hair bug...

As someone said.. they've always been slow - The players have been faster in finding new than they have fixed.

There was 1 dupe bug... then there was 2.. first one wasnt fixed.. then 3 bugs.. and 4... the first one still not fixed..

Then it got fixed and voila with next big patch/expansion 3 new came along.

Players will always be a step before.. Why? They are so many and they play the game to extrems.

If you are looking forward to next expansion.. also think of all new flaws in the code that will arrive.. and the new dupe bugs which WILL be there.

Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Yeah, there is only so much a 6 member crew can do.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
They weren't always 6 members =/ From what I have seen, duped items are mostly clothing items. If that is the case, so what. It is when orny's and AoF's and uber weapons/armor get duplicated that I would be worried. Those items dont stack so they have a unique ID. I have heard cloth is so easy because it is re-assigned when you restack it. I for one dont care if there are a million bolts of invuln blue dyed cloth, just makes the game more colorful.

To truly understand something, change it.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Different gamer types Phix.

Although like you, I couldn't care less about cloth/clothing, but there are those that hold that stuff in the same respect as PvP'ers do their gear.

Gotta give others their respect too, even if it means PvP gets pushed aside (again) to ensure there aren't millions of brightly colored sandals floating around.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
And Phix, for a while, the high end artis WERE what was being duped, in mass quantities...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Personally i don't find any humor in it and a waste of his productive time ...

I posted it was a fake listing before Draconi replied saying it was an illegal item. I knew a moongate would probably be illegal but I couldn't think of another item which would fetch such a high price.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I'm half-inclined to believe the moongate is real. There certainly have been enough unusual items created and picked up by players over the years.

This reminds me of the old portable forges...I wonder if any of those are left out there, or - with the advent of fire beetles - if they even matter.

~M

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
sure they matter...that way a player can port their forge and mine forever with a blue beetle...Portable forges and ballot boxes were interesting to say the least...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I tink it would be kewl to have meez own Moongate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draconi, heads, illegal, item, seer, unique