Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

It's our job as players with experience to help newbies for the sake of the game!

- - - - - experience game job newbies players sake

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Omera

Omera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
This is a post encouraging people to help out new players they see in UO, for the sake of the game. UO will die if newbie after newbie stops playing simply because the devs were too lazy to get off their ass and make a proper tutorial or something that helps with the learning curve. So I encourage you all to SAVE THE NEWBIES!

Lord Havok

Lord Havok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
EA putting some boxes on the shelves and or doing some advertising so we could get new players to help would be nice too =)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
-Charles Baudelaire

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

This is a post encouraging people to help out new players they see in UO, for the sake of the game. UO will die if newbie after newbie stops playing simply because the devs were too lazy to get off their ass and make a proper tutorial or something that helps with the learning curve. So I encourage you all to SAVE THE NEWBIES!

I agree with you, but it probably isn't here that you need to be telling people that. Last week there were like 4 or 5 returning/new player threads and all of them had been helped out by people here on UOF.

Havok is probably right on this one, the rest is up to EAMythic.

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I agree with you, but it probably isn't here that you need to be telling people that. Last week there were like 4 or 5 returning/new player threads and all of them had been helped out by people here on UOF.

Havok is probably right on this one, the rest is up to EAMythic.

From what I read here and on Stratics, new and returning players are knocked-out by the high level of assistance they receive from players-in-the-know. I was talking to, what seemed like a veteran gamer, at Luna bank and he/she commented that no other game has a support community as helpful as UO.

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
I'm semi new to Ultima, but I always try to give them a little gold, decent armor, and maybe a rune book or something.

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I'm forever helping the new, lost, or recently returned...... Be it in dungeons, in the banks, or out in the countryside...

I try not to "give" the the world on a silver platter so to speak ..... but I will upgrade some armor sometimes...... suggest better smarter ways to hunt and train skills... or even give them a few runes to useful locations....

But I still think EA needs to find a way to bring back councilors and Seers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Paidric

Paidric

The Youngherder [HLP]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
On europa we try to get organised in helping through a daily service in New Haven.

We also put up a website to help the young ones start their characters and teaching them the needed basics.
Feel free to send them there :
Welcome to Haven Helpers!

And I'll go along with uobuoy when he says the main feedback we receive is that the UO community is VERY helpful. So I think most of the work is in EA's hands.
"If deathrobes were bank checks... I'd be filthy rich!"

New in Ultima Online? Visit Haven Helpers
Trade at Ingame Auctions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
It's easy to help new players, but to train them....oy...that's a tough one.

People don't cross-heal like they used to, and it seems that even if you toss a heal to a lot of folks when they're red-lined, some tend to not return it in kind.

This is the biggest thing the new playerbase needs to work on; because you'll notice a lot of people stop healing you if you fail to return the favor.

Target is re-approaching Knight of Compassion, so that helps with the resses, at least. Hard to get res-killed when you res with 80% of your max HP.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I have a method when training new people. It works surprisingly well.

1. I take the new players out of their depth, i.e. to a place where death is certain without me there.
2. I inform them, "I do not heal myself, but you have nothing to worry about as long as I'm alive."
3. If I die, they die.

It does cause trouble in the short run. But in the longer term, most of the people whom I've helped train are still cross healing...

And forgetting to heal themselves.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
I'm still a newb... HELP!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gaspar LeMarc

Gaspar LeMarc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
In my opinion, this support IS the reason why folks who try out this game can't ever bring themselves to leave. Lots of people take long breaks, myself included, but with UO you never feel overwhelmed because player support comes from peers, a much more reliable, familiar, and incredibly generous source than from the developers or administrators at EA.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Best community in gaming. Bar none!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

I'm still a newb... HELP!

I'm pretty sure death is certain for you anywhere.

Or maybe it's certain for me without you around, I haven't figured that out yet.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Unless you have a chance of dying, it isn't that fun lol.

I do agree that the learning curve is steep in UO tho. And once people get used to hunting solo and running away to heal, that's a hard habit to break them out of. I just tell people I'll throw a heal on them if they need it, but I am not going to chase them down to do it. After a few deaths they get the idea to stay close.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Now seriously...

this is our we help...
http://www.uoforums....-academy-39931/

this our backup...
http://www.uoforums....ue-cross-46714/

The first one guides newfolk...
The second one finds their corpses...

Catskills...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

YellowStarS2k

YellowStarS2k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Having been away from OSI UO soon after Renaissance came out, I'm really surprised the community is still so active. There's nothing like the UO experience that I've experienced with other MMORPGs.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

There's nothing like the UO experience that I've experienced with other MMORPGs.

:) That's because all the other MMORPGS are cheap knock-offs of UO, IMO.

Nothing I've found has come close to it, and likely never will with all the unpolished releases and grind-games hitting the market the way they have been.

ladykolleen

ladykolleen

Original Wonder Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
I try to help all newbies that I see but there needs to be more (like havok said) advertising and help out there from ea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I am Diana, Princess of the Amazons! I won't be denied! "

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I help those who help themselves

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: experience, game, job, newbies, players, sake