Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

bags of sending

- - - - - bags sending

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

~Belle~

~Belle~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
i miss how we could use bags of sending =)

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
As do many players
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Osiris

Osiris

Tamer of Souls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I remember reading something about controlling the amount of gold flow.

As far as I understand, this nerf of the BOS, hurt the common players rather than "script harvesters". You and I, can't go hunt for an hour or so any more and just send our gold to the bank anymore. Since most of us have limited time to play, one doesn’t want to recall out or hoof it back to the bank/house when you got 8k-15k gold on you (or whatever it is). An amount that usually covers insurance for one death. The end result is that you go and hunt for an hour or two and loot only items that you may think is worthy of looting. It is not practical anymore for the common player to try to make gold hunting, except for hunting for arties to sell. Of coarse that market crashed. Combination of the “acclaimed” duping problem and because suddenly the common player cannot save/retrieve the gold one earns on hunts in a practical consistent manner?

I keep trying convincing myself that BOS nerf is better for the game. Though it seems that, "script harvesters", are not any where nearly as affected by it than us (the rest of the EA clients). I am sure UO is very aware that they closed the "Siphon" on the players rather than their intended targets, "script harvesters". Or perhaps, the intent was to close it on the players and allow the, "script harvesters", make money off their game.

Might want to read the info on the thread for “selling items for RL Cash”
http://www.uoforums.com/f1130/selling-items-rl-cash-51204/

Seriously, isn't EA's client happier if they get the item/gold they want? Why doesn't EA sell gold, arties and such hard to get items in their online store as well? Is it because deep down it is considered cheating and in a sense "dilutes" the game?

I say just do away with the ant dungeon, heh.

Forgive me all, if I offended anyone. The BOS nerf is very upsetting to me. I would like it back just the way it was.
"Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical."
Blaise Pascal

Golem Mechanic

Golem Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Right on Osiris!
It seems like most of the measures taken to hinder cheaters adversely affect the 'real' player community, thereby increasing the value of certain resources which scripters and dupes/exploits produce.

Issues like this should really be mulled over in the community more so that the players that don't cheat don't have to end up paying 8 million some gold for a pair of reading glasses.
"The woods is lovelies n' deep n' dark n' I got many catnips to eat and hours to nap before I sleep and hours to nap before I sleep"

Degerdi

Degerdi

Waiting to steal your monacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Bag of S*** is what i call it now
Curses! Who stole my monacle? :mycry:

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I dont really bother hunting anymore,I dont think anyone does,I dont have time and im too lazy to recall to bank every 10 minutes,specially from isolated areas like ils that you simply have to run there.The only thing this change made was encourage the ´´rich get richer,poor poorer`` situation.Theres more ways a scripter can get their farming done than EA can think of ways to nerf it,and if a guy has nothing better to do than farm gold all day then let him so.Have you seen anyone hunting anywhere outside of ocasional swoop/miasma farming and doom? Probably not.So you either fix the bag,or improve the overall quality from looting,thunting etcs,but right now you got a pretty huge bloody useless world with 5 instanced areas where ppl gather and a bank.
And if you are to get a less ´´egoistical`` posture,think of the new players that see everyone with millions of gold,and they are unable to make one run w more than 10K in their bags(thats the average bloody insurance-cost for most..)

Nydon

Nydon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
2 years ago when i was playing UO , i made a ton of money selling these and the powder for them , was easy for a solo player to do , and very proffitable . plus i loved useing them . while i was gone , the nerf hit , i came back , got some , and tried to use em , and was like WTF ??? i didnt know the scripters were the cause till i read this post , but still i agree , its hurt the common player the hardest seems like . and should be fixxed and make code for the game to stop scripters , other games have done it , why cant they?
Posted Image

Check out my wife's ebay please......lots of great stuff.....
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pj301972

Osiris

Osiris

Tamer of Souls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The combination of scripters and general public using the BOS added up to too much gold being taken out of the "game". So the wisdom is, nerf BOS = less gold out.

This was not the best way to deal with the problem. Giving something to us to use then nerfing it, is just plain rude and disrespectful. It is no the UO way, that I knew.

If there is a problem with the balance of gold in and out of the system, then fix it without affecting 90%+++ of your clients.

Blaise Pascal

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
For those of us who are older than dirt here in UO...almost to the 11th year vet reward...there was a time we didnt even know about a BoS and yet we made our gold, bought our homes and some excellent equipment for that time.

Dwelling on this thorn in the side of many...yes we complained when we spent what little we had to buy that silver vanquishing weapon to kill the undead only to wake up and find they had all been modified with no modifiers, but we rearmed ourselves with the newest and what we thought the best and back to killing we went. We lost more than most have acquired when we battled Minax and Jou'nar in Trinisic..there was no insurance. I could continue on and on losing house keys which resulted in the loss of not only items but a house, having to log in daily to refresh a house or the worse was gm'ing a skill and logging back in two days later to find you were no longer gm because you hadnt use the skill.....For those who havent been around as long as some stop by, chat a bit and you will see how much easier things have become in 11 years.

So I find many things have changed for the betterment, the Bag of Sending issue is just a small inconvenience, like in r/l sometimes the honest people get the shaft because someone found a way to beat the system. As in real life we all adapt.
  • NANOC_DWxC likes this

NANOC_DWxC

NANOC_DWxC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
The original intent of the Bag of Sending was to quickly get items of value into your bank while out playing. ie. Like that very valuable red apron that so many people fight peerless for.

We all quickly found out that it also was a great help in getting gold into our bank.

Osiris

Osiris

Tamer of Souls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, there was metamorphosis on items/skills etc. over the years. The BOS is an example of that. I also am almost an 11th year vet.; I am not arguing or disputing that the game keeps changing for the better. Though with every expansion/update, there seems to be a lot of bugs, even after testing and releasing.

What I am saying is that, the nerf affected game play and most players. The nerf of the BOS was not replaced with a better BOS item. If we didn't have insurance and you just lost items when you died, this would not be much of an issue. Should we go back to not having insurance? LOL, I would be happy with no Tram either. muhahhaa

Blaise Pascal

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
O-o-o-okay, okay.

I was just tinkin' now dats I gots meez minds up wits a fully belly of Hamburger Helper and Gins and Tonics, da dinners of true Americans warriors, dat it woulds be kewls if dat her bags of sending could be used to like, youz knows, gets insides, and transports yerselfs into yer owns banks.

Maybees I wrong. But, I can'ts but helps tink it could be used fer dat der goods perpose.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I believe the bags of sending is lending to more gold being duped. The bags of sending were very helpful to people that loved to hunt and didn't want to spend money buying gold (understanding that there are people that are going to buy gold no matter what). EA has forced to people to buy gold with real cash instead of being able to go out and hunt for it. I can't remember the last time I went out hunting for gold. For me, I get my gold after we complete a spawn but then I am recalling to entrance, run to altar, pick up about 20K (hoping no one comes and kills me while I am just collecting gold), run through the star room, recall to the bank, and start the whole process over again. It sucks but I collect lots of gold this way.

Arquestian

Arquestian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well it is a basic rule in the online gaming industry. "Always punish the whole for the sins of the few". As long as you do this, you will always have a successful game.

Osiris

Osiris

Tamer of Souls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am not buying that the original intent of the BOS was to get valuable items to bank while out hunting. As, I always insured the valuable item I got!

I understand that after the nerf came in publish 48, EA came out and explained that it was because of the amount of gold that was coming out of the system. They never said it was intended to send valuable items to the bank. The nerf made it to be that way. Here is the link to refresh your memories; http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday87.html . There was also a clarification for those of us that thought the freaking BOS was broken; http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday88.html .

So seriously, if you are scripting for gold and the BOS is not affecting you and or scripting and selling gold for dollars, then you would be behind the nerf decision. I really don’t see how a legitimate player trying to earn his own gold would support this nerf. If you are buying gold for dollars or having a hard time saving up for gold, then you are probably very angry at this nerf still.

It is still not fair to nerf the BOS then come out after the fact and say that it was intended for items not gold.

I ask Jeremy Dalberg to look through the BOS threads and re-evaluate this BOS matter. As it stands now the decision of the nerf has benefited scripters and hurt the majority of the players. To add salt to the wound, it is cheaper to buy gold now than it was before the BOS nerf.

So, when I hear about EA busting scripters and dupers, I also know deep inside that EA also helps them grow. An entangled web of community affiliations and supporting of trading in items for dollars which only EA ultimately owns (according to their TOS). This is bad, a conflict in interest and has resulted in at least unfair favoritism situation against the majority of the player base.

Has anyone ever heard of any of the large in game auctioneers get busted for possessing, selling and helping spread out dupes? It is another conflict of interest again, can’t bust EA community affiliated guilds, as they are above the TOS.

I would like to see EA sell gold and in game arties on their website or at the very least, link to trustworthy businesses that their client base can go to for purchases. After all, EA can provide us with un-duped items and gold checks.

Blaise Pascal

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
I agree with many points here, note however the following points;

I am not buying that the original intent of the BOS was to get valuable items to bank while out hunting. As, I always insured the valuable item I got!

I understand that after the nerf came in publish 48, EA came out and explained that it was because of the amount of gold that was coming out of the system. They never said it was intended to send valuable items to the bank. The nerf made it to be that way. Here is the link to refresh your memories; http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday87.html .

I took the previous comment (regarding valuables quickly into the bank) to be about the original design intent rather than the reason for the nerf.

To add salt to the wound, it is cheaper to buy gold now than it was before the BOS nerf.

There are a few ways of looking at the drop in price of gold.
1) The market is flooded with gold.
2) A smaller player base = smaller demand.

I tend to leand towards the smaller player base. Refer to this thread http://www.uoforums....-special-45172/ regarding slow sales from a gold seller.

Also ... we can only speculate how effective the nerf was. We don't get to see any of the back-end workings of the EA systems.

Your anger however, is very founded. It is hard to see how this really affected anyone other than us normal working stiffs.

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
I honestly don't mind the change that much, I lost more BoS's then I've used lol. I use them now when I hunt virtue items in the Anti-Virtue Dungeons in Fel so I'm not per verbally caught with my pants down basically lol. I also use it in doom to send arties so I don't have to insure them etc... I never personally used the BoS for gold much anyway, my main thing was using it for leather when I was farming destard on my Tamer. I can live without the BoS though, makes things more complicated but then again I'm not one of those "Everything on a silver platter" types either, I don't mind working for what I get.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Pameleigha

Pameleigha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

. I use them now when I hunt virtue items in the Anti-Virtue Dungeons in Fel so I'm not per verbally caught with my pants down basically lol. I also use it in doom to send arties so I don't have to insure them etc....

BOS's work in gauntlet now? I will have to try that next time I go as they did not used to.

BOS's came into effect about the same time Ilshenar was introduced if I remember correctly. I do remember peole complaining about having to walk forever to get loot to a bank and it was not worth fighting these places. The BOS was the solution to that problem. Then Fel dungeons became unrecallable and that made hunting them worthless. (Walk your loot out the exit to be ganked by 20 reds...what fun!! :P

Every other MMOG I can think of sends your gold directly to the bank as you loot. It does that already for PvPers in UO in the form of insurance from the person you killed going straight to your bank. Just make it so gold goes into your bank.

Old days , we did have to run our stuff to the bank, but we also could recall directly back to the hunting spot, not run for 20 minutes to a moongate or out of a dungeon entrance.

All a scripter had to do was change the script to recall to the bank once they hit a certain weight. The BOS change did not hurt them much at all.

Anrymeel

Anrymeel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

i remember reading something about controlling the amount of gold flow.

as far as i understand, this nerf of the bos, hurt the common players rather than "script harvesters". You and i, can't go hunt for an hour or so any more and just send our gold to the bank anymore. Since most of us have limited time to play, one doesn’t want to recall out or hoof it back to the bank/house when you got 8k-15k gold on you (or whatever it is). An amount that usually covers insurance for one death. The end result is that you go and hunt for an hour or two and loot only items that you may think is worthy of looting. It is not practical anymore for the common player to try to make gold hunting, except for hunting for arties to sell. Of coarse that market crashed. Combination of the “acclaimed” duping problem and because suddenly the common player cannot save/retrieve the gold one earns on hunts in a practical consistent manner?

i keep trying convincing myself that bos nerf is better for the game. Though it seems that, "script harvesters", are not any where nearly as affected by it than us (the rest of the ea clients). I am sure uo is very aware that they closed the "siphon" on the players rather than their intended targets, "script harvesters". Or perhaps, the intent was to close it on the players and allow the, "script harvesters", make money off their game.

might want to read the info on the thread for “selling items for rl cash”
http://www.uoforums.com/f1130/selling-items-rl-cash-51204/

seriously, isn't ea's client happier if they get the item/gold they want? Why doesn't ea sell gold, arties and such hard to get items in their online store as well? Is it because deep down it is considered cheating and in a sense "dilutes" the game?

i say just do away with the ant dungeon, heh.

forgive me all, if i offended anyone. The bos nerf is very upsetting to me. I would like it back just the way it was.

i totally agree - i am so sick of 'suffering' cuz if scammers or cheats or fel guilds holding us hostage for overpriced scrolls - we all pay the same money for this game - it should be somewhat even and i just want my darn bos back asap!!!!!!

Rashad_FwD

Rashad_FwD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

BOS's work in gauntlet now? I will have to try that next time I go as they did not used to.

BOS's came into effect about the same time Ilshenar was introduced if I remember correctly. I do remember peole complaining about having to walk forever to get loot to a bank and it was not worth fighting these places. The BOS was the solution to that problem. Then Fel dungeons became unrecallable and that made hunting them worthless. (Walk your loot out the exit to be ganked by 20 reds...what fun!! :P

Every other MMOG I can think of sends your gold directly to the bank as you loot. It does that already for PvPers in UO in the form of insurance from the person you killed going straight to your bank. Just make it so gold goes into your bank.

Old days , we did have to run our stuff to the bank, but we also could recall directly back to the hunting spot, not run for 20 minutes to a moongate or out of a dungeon entrance.

All a scripter had to do was change the script to recall to the bank once they hit a certain weight. The BOS change did not hurt them much at all.

In the old days you had gaping holes in the code that allowed you to open your bankbox from remote locations too..

i dont support the BoS change.. i dont even waste the space in my backpack anymore with them..

Its hard getting back into the oldschool mindset after having it easy for so long.. :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bags, sending