Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Austin Town Hall (Sept 13, 2008) - Gathering Info!!

- - - - - 13 2008 austin gathering hall info sept town

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Winfield

Winfield

Governor of PaxLair, Chesapeake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
Hear ye, Hear ye, Hear ye!!

11th UO Anniversary??

NOTE: This thread post is always under development! Post your interest, ideas, and enthusiasm and we will consolidate them into the top of this thread!

The Austin Town Hall for Ultima Online ( <-- Register at this link) is on Saturday, September 13, 2008 at:

Dave & Busters
9333 Research Blvd.
Suite A600
Austin, TX 78759

September 13, 2008
3:00PM - 6:00pm EST
LIVE BROADCAST by Whispering Rose Radio!! (Web Site) See ON AIR NOW section for Tune In.

One Hotel:
Extended Stay Austin Arboretum
10100 N Capital of Texas Hwy, Austin TX 78759
$79.99 per night
http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/minisite/?hotelID=825
Whispering Rose Radio is staying at this hotel

This thread is for everyone to offer ideas to gather together and make the MOST out of this event ...

• Before the Town Hall
  • During the Town Hall
  • After the Town Hall

OPPORTUNITIES!! MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK IN TEXAS WITH UO PLAYERS!!

SAN ANTONIO -- to -- AUSTIN -- to -- SAN ANTONIO!!!

SAT = San Antonio, Texas
AUS = Austin, Texas

The player behind Winfield of Chesapeake (Send PM on UOForums) is making some plans to help out. He lives in the San Antonio, Texas area -- a short 2 hour drive from Austin.

So, he has an ambitious plan where you fly into San Antonio (SAT), Texas, spend a couple of extra days with UO friends before and after the Town Hall, and then fly out of San Antonio.

He will rent a Mini-Van (6-8 passenger) to and from Austin for the Town Hall. If there are a LOT of people from SAT to AUS and back to SAT, we could charter a bus. What better way to have GREAT FUN together!!

• Thursday, Sep 11th - San Antonio Arrival.
    • San Antonio Hotel: TBD (low and medium cost alternatives)
  • Friday, Sep 12th - San Antonio to Austin.
    • Mini-van (by Winfield) will probably depart San Antonio by 11 AM Central Time.

• Austin Hotel: TBD (low and medium cost alternatives)
  • Saturday, Sep 13th - Austin - TOWN HALL - Night on the town in Austin!!
    • Austin Hotel: TBD (low and medium cost alternatives)
  • Sunday, Sep 14th - Austin to San Antonio.
    • Drive via mini-van (by Winfield) to San Antonio.
      San Antonio Hotel: TBD (low and medium cost alternatives)
  • Monday, Sep 15th - San Antonio - see the town! Riverwalk! Alamo!
    • San Antonio Hotel: TBD (low and medium cost alternatives)
    • Depart San Antonio if desired.
  • Tuesday, Sep 16th - San Antonio Departure - depart San Antonio.
    • Depart San Antonio.

OK - HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED??

• Send a Private Message to Winfield of Chesapeake if you are interested in coming to San Antonio before and/or after the Austin Town Hall so he can work with you on arrangements and more information.
  • Going straight to the Town Hall in Austin? Try to stay in the hotel(s) that other UO players are staying in. Let Winfield know if you want to engage in events outside the town hall with other players.
  • Enthusiastic about helping out with activities around the town hall?? Post right on this Forum Thread as a Reply.
  • You're planning on coming -- post a REPLY!!
  • You have suggestions even if you can't come -- post a REPLY!!
Let's make this a wonderful experience for everyone who can and can not make it to Austin! We are one UO Family!!

Note from Winfield of Chesapeake:

My friends,

Austin will mark around the 11th Anniversary of Ultima Online!! Last year in Austin was the dramatic 10th Anniversary with Lord British (Richard Garriott) attending. I had a unique and inspiring opportunity to give Electronic Arts / Mythic and Lord British a special presentation from our PaxLair 10-year player community on Chesapeake.

We cherish our time together, either in person or through the ethereal planes and realms created for us. These town halls are very significant. We meet friends, we share ideas, and we renew our own ideas, goals, and visions of how UO can help us become better people through this wonderful community. It is of course a game ... Ultima Online that is. Yet we are real-people devoting our time and energies in a virtual world that is SO ROBUST in capabilities ... that we can actually learn from one another, share experiences, build communities, and create friendships that last for years and years.

Come to this town hall if you can! Listen to Whispering Rose Radio if you can not! These Town Halls are as good as the players who come. This is a Town Hall you will NOT want to miss!

Dragonspeed my friends,

Winfield, Governor of PaxLair Statehood, Chesapeake Shard.

Note: We will edit this Thread Starting-Post as more information is made available:

• Where people are gathering for dinner in the evenings.
  • What hotels people are staying in.
  • Contact information so people can find other UO players quickly.

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
I'm in Round Rock if there's anything I can do to help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Winfield

Winfield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Round Rock is just north of Austin. I sent you a private message. I hope we can get together.

Thanks,
Winfield

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
Correct, I'm minutes away from Research Blvd. I've replied to your PM :)

And Mum can send those cookies my way and I'll be sure they are...distributed :angel:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
News item - Planning Austin UO Town Hall. :)

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Winfield

Winfield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
We are approaching the Austin Town Hall, and other town halls coming up. There's some things in my experience that help make the town halls even more fun. I imagine EA/Mythic won't mind these suggestions, but they can chime in if they have a problem with anything.

If I may be so bold to suggest:

• Make and bring some business cards with your character name, guild, logo, ICQ, etc. and hand them out to people you meet.
  • Make a name tag for yourself if you want. It's easier for people to know who you are. I don't know if recent town halls are providing name tags or tag material for attendees.
  • Bring anything small to sit on your table at the town hall that shows your UO and community spirit. I hope the EA/Mythic people won't mind, but having some skulls, little treasure chests, a shard logo or guild logo on a little stand, and such makes things really fun. Have people brought such things in the past?
  • Bring brochures / handouts about your guild, player city, fan site service, etc. As long as they are all in good taste and not for profit, I don't think the town hall organizers would mind.
  • Bring more props, pictures, screen shots, etc. for informal lunches and dinners and hanging out in hotel lobbies together. Those fancy new "Digital Photo Frames" are small and make great slide shows of screen shots. That would be "cool". Great for conversation.
Anyway, just some ideas. When I brought business cards to the last town hall in Austin, several people said "I wish I thought of that". Well, let's see how creative we can be.

Thanks,
Winfield
  • Adri likes this

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Outstanding ideas Winfield! :)

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
Sadly, I live too far from Austin to make it economical to attend... Sounds like a lot of fun to be had! Is there a link somewhere to check where upcoming Townhall meetings will be hosted, so I can plan accordingly?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
Town Hall 2008

There ya go Ari :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Sebrina

Sebrina

Legendary Medium

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I live in Round Rock too, but handling some work here in Austin for the next couple of weeks. -live close to Sunrise by the Jr High & High School at Stony Point. We should get together.

Last year was a blast at the town hall with Winfield and Gakuct. I only got to attend the actual meeting, but there are so many other activities going on around that, expecially if you hook-up with shard players.

I shall also attempt to grab Lord Quaffer of Moonglow (KPD) from out in the countryside, and haul him in for the weekend as well.

Austin is still known as a "party-town."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Journies!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
Ok guys, here's what I've got so far: *blushes* nada! Because I need info from YOU! By the end of the weekend, is there any way to get a rough estimate of exactly how many rooms we'll be needing, and for what nights? I am in contact with several sales managers of the hotels in the arboretum areas to try to get discounted rates, so we need this information for it to be accurate. Arboretum isn't exactly an inexpensive area, so we're talking normal rates of $95-150/night for 2 people in a room... Here's what I've got so far:

Steps away from D&B:
*Residence Inn NW (Marriott)-$129/night, message in to sales manager for group rate info
*Hyatt Place Arboretum - website says $218/night, orbitz says $107, message in to sales manager for group rate info

The above two are literally in the same place as D&B. Now the others below are within minutes and no more than 5 miles away.

*Comfort Suites - around $118/night, awaiting call from Tina Owens for group rate info
*Extended Stay - $84.99-$94.99/night (k/q, 1/2 people, and all rooms have sleeper sofa), awaiting call from Michelle Ambrose or Brandy Wiesner for group rate info

Now, I can continue checking Arboretum hotels, but they're all going to be fairly high without a group rate. Do I need to check further out, and for only one night? I've been asking basically for 9/12-9/14 information, and estimating 10-20 rooms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The group coming for San Antonio (still dont have an actual head count) will be staying 2 nights. We plan on arriving Friday and staying through Sunday, then heading back to San Antonio. Last I knew there are 4 of us flying in so lacking in head count lol.

Winfield

Winfield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
Phoenix, so overnights in Austin for you are Friday and Saturday, right?

Overnights in San Antonio are Thursday and Sunday? Or Thursday, Sunday, and Monday with departure from SAT on Tuesday?

NANOC_DWxC

NANOC_DWxC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
Since it is past Phoenix's bedtime I will answer this question. Here goes from what I know

Thursday - San Antonio...we arrive in the afternoon between 1-3 will have to have her check the flight times.

Friday, Saturday - Austin

Sunday, Monday - San Antonio with us flying out on Tuesday afternoon.

Sebrina

Sebrina

Legendary Medium

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Ok guys, here's what I've got so far: *blushes* nada! Because I need info from YOU! By the end of the weekend, is there any way to get a rough estimate of exactly how many rooms we'll be needing, and for what nights?

I'd say keep looking and I'll be making some calls Monday when I get back to the house for a couple of days. Alot depends on response and desire for proximity. Very close by D&Bs is going to cost more, so it's a toss up on expense and we will need to get responses first before booking packages.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Journies!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
Ok, I heard back from the manager of the Courtyard Arboretum Marriot and it will be $109/night ($125.35 after taxes) (it's about $10-20 less than online booking rates). It is IN the shopping center area with D&B, just on the other end of it, and we don't have to do any sort of contractual deal or anything with them. They just request that everyone who will be staying there call in with their reservations at least 2 weeks prior to the check in date, and offer full cancellation til 6pm the evening prior to check-in.

So do we want a deal like this, or look further outside the immediate area for something cheaper? If I get the return calls from the other places, I'll post that info as well, but I have an idea it will be similar to this...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
I've also talked to a couple of places further out on I35, such as the Studio6 and also the Super8 a lot of people used last year.

The Studio 6 off I-35 a little north doesn't offer any kind of deals. 1 bed is $49+tax, 2 beds is $57+tax, and that's for 1 person per room. It's about $5 per additional person. The Motel6 downtown at UT I35/51st street is $59.99+tax, +$6 for another person.

The Super 8 is $80.49 (after taxes) a night, and with 10 or more rooms it's a slight discount to around $75 after taxes.

It's also a UT home game weekend, so anything downtown or closer to that side may be more expensive or booked up quickly the closer to that time frame. It isn't a big rival team, so there may not be 'that' many away fans coming in, it's always hard to predict.

Now there are a lot of 'budget' motels along I35 that offer rates for <$50 a night, but...do you guys really want to stay at those?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
Hyatt Place Arboretum is the same as Marriot...$109/night+tax, internet in room, continental breakfast, etc. Walking distance of D&B.

oy vey!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Now there are a lot of 'budget' motels along I35 that offer rates for <$50 a night, but...do you guys really want to stay at those?

Good rule about motels: no bugs or drugs!!

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
hence I added the 'do you really wanna go there?' lol why you think I didn't mention anything period off Rundberg? ^^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 13, 2008, austin, gathering, hall, info, sept, town