Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Why I am disappointed

- - - - - disappointed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
On the one hand I am impressed and excited by the effort the devs have put into the new events since November. The destruction of Magencia and the rift in Moonglow were well done and fun. One could read about the events prior to the beginning of them and they lasted long enough for someone like myself, who doesn't get to play very much, to participate and enjoy. I was reminded of the attack on Yew, on the Catskills Shard, prior to the spilt of world and the intro of Trammel, when I was involved in the newer events. That was the most fun I had in the game back then next to my involvement in my guild. It was great then, as it was in the above events, to share with other players the chaos and multiple deaths such invasions created.

Yet, once again, the newer Vanguards and Strangers scenarios increase my frustration with the game. Where does one find specific information regarding where these creatures spawn and when? I understand that some of the fun is allowing the players the opportunity to puzzle out the what, when, how and whys, but I grow tired of missing out on these events because I can't spend the hours searching the game or the forums for information so I can participate.

There has to be a better way! I have been a member of UO for over eight years and time after time I have missed events because of a lack of enough information to either plan on being part of it or because I grew frustrated waiting and searching for when something would occur.

I can't be the only person angry about this. Please don't respond by telling me how diffilcult planning events can be or how one can't please everyone. This concerns keeping your player base informed well enough to keep them involved and renewing their subscriptions. I like the direction but I find this new segment poorly planned even if it is the single drop of rain prior to the storm. There has to be a better middle ground, or add something for the player who can't dedicate the hours some players have, to being the first ones to find the new content.

I love the game and have put up with a lot of the issues constantly written about on these forums. It is a good game with good people in it. But I grow tired of how these events have been planned and introduced. I could spend a month recounting all the events I have missed because there was so little written about it prior to it, that by the time anything had been written it was over. This really has to improve!>:(

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Give it at least another week. I think the devs are still trying to iron out some bugs. I've been searching a few hours the past couple days and have yet to find anything either.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I can't help but think that Myxkion is just the calm before the storm. Even so ...

It's hard to organiz... oh wait, can't use that one. Um.
You can't pleas... oh wait, can't use that one either.

I like that I've actually had to develop a network of allies (ok, I've used one that I already had, but with a few extra friends included in my searches) so we always have a chance of finding these strangers. Also, with a network, you don't have to search all the dungeons yourself. Additionally, nobody has complained that I get loot without damaging the guy since they know that my role is keeping their tails alive. We're really getting quite good at it.

Anyhow, my part isn't to lecture about how the event plays right into the hands of the bigger guilds (since it does, and that ain't right), but rather, if you're still on Cats, to invite you to take part in our information gathering process.

If I'm in game, I'm typically either in Haven or looking for half-dragons-who-search-for-gems. Just ask any GRI/CYM/FURY member to find either Farsight or Kei Wa. I'll come running if I'm around.

And if you see a Rose member, ask for the satyr, Path.

Or you could add me to ICQ.

And yes, this does need to improve. Maybe they could get the town criers working again? On the other hand, that would bring EVERYBODY to the fights, and that would be a lot less fun for those who make it.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

Yet, once again, the newer Vanguards and Strangers scenarios increase my frustration with the game. Where does one find specific information regarding where these creatures spawn and when? I understand that some of the fun is allowing the players the opportunity to puzzle out the what, when, how and whys, but I grow tired of missing out on these events because I can't spend the hours searching the game or the forums for information so I can participate.

Welcome to UOForums Mortae,good to see you here.

I understand how frustrating it must be for a player who cant log in very often,to spend the majority of that time 'searching' for updated info.

Here at UOForums,we try our best to keep the player base updated regularly with any/all News and Dev posts.

You can bookmark the forum,which can be found here

Ask any questions here

Also if you click this link lots of news is first posted here and by clickin the 'Live Event's 2008' picture all event content should be there.

I hope this helps manage your time better ,so you can have more fun in game.

...tabby

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
For information on the strangers ... look here;

http://www.uoforums....stranger-45520/

and here;

http://www.uoforums....se-today-46160/

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
The Vanguards spawn in Cove at MIDNIGHT game time. Both Fel and tram.

They also spawn in Nujelm, Papua, and Serpent's hold. Of these I am unsure of the time ... might be midnight also.

Also as this event chain rolls certain things change, and other things are removed altogether. Vanguard spawn in those areas was diminished from 3 spawning to now only 1 spawning.

I haven't fought one in over a week ... can someone confirm they are still spawning this week?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The other times are 3AM, 6AM and 9AM in-game time. I'm not sure which city is which (except SH is 9).

gryphonuo

gryphonuo

LORD GRYPHON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Papua is 3am uo time, so i am guessing that leave 6am for Nuj

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Just wish to thank everyone who had responded to this post. :)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
They are still spawning at those times and those places.

Some things to note:
1) The vanguard no longer get stuck underground. However, they teleport like rabid monkeys - which I find annoying.

2) Worse, the vanguard spawn now teleports as well. If you thought rabid monkeys were bad, try multiple dark wisps, souped-up liches and shadow elementals teleporting right. On. Top. Of. You.

3) As if that wasn't bad enough, there is either a bug or a feature whereby you will get zapped for 50-80% of your health without warning, explanation or little red numbers floating above your head.

4) To top it all off, the Dread War Horses now have some sort of area poison effect. It's sort of funny, because it poisons all the NPCs and even the Vanguard riding the horse.

If the Vanguard are not killed when they spawn, they hang around. The next hour, you'll have the old one plus the new one to deal with. If they still aren't killed but the next hour...you get the idea. Interestingly, it appears that the number of critters the vanguard spawn is directly related to the number of Vanguard Controllers lurking. In other words, if there are two Vanguard alive they will *each* spawn twice as many critters when provoked.

It's worth noting that, once a Vanguard is destroyed, his monsters don't tend to last long either. They poof relatively quickly.

Except those damn shadow elementals.

~M

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Agreed. Things as such need not be implemented without thorough testing....

Therefore.....

I'll volunteer to join the QA team.

I can seriously help pointing a lot of these things out.

I'm not joking.:-/

dragonsbane

dragonsbane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Mortae, I agree with you 100%. I also don't have loads of time to try and figure out all the secret details of an event, I have to say that finding UOforums has been a huge help for me as i have learned more about UO in that last 3 months since i joined UOforums than i have playing UO on and off for the last 4 years.

CeNedraSR

CeNedraSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My friend and I were just having a conversation about this the other night. We were both frusterated because no matter what, neither one of us could find a soild source of information regarding current events going on. We must have spent close to an hour or more looking things up and by the time we found even the slightest bit of good information we had to retire to bed.

I don't have huge amounts of time to spend on looking through website after website for information. I enjoy the search but when it becomes more of a chore rather than all in good fun, it pushes you away from it.

I agree with Mortae. There has to be a better way of obtaining good information on such events and what not. I recently discovered this website. It has been a great deal of help and I would like to send my thanks out to the UOGuide staff for having a good source of information.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
* For Sale * One shrink wrapped copy of Zork with a complete walkthrough inside.

Not supplying all of the information to the game builds a game community, and encourages you to interact with others inside the game.

As a byproduct, we have this fabulous forum, and some wonderful ingame communities.

And they were thankful.

w00t

ladykolleen

ladykolleen

Original Wonder Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
thanks for the info eveyrone - you helped me out as well. ;D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I am Diana, Princess of the Amazons! I won't be denied! "

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Huge DUPING FOUND... delaying the fun of all of us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Huge DUPING FOUND... delaying the fun of all of us.

Yeah, Pitr, I think this might be the cause.

The fact they're isolating and looking into it shows they do care about our economy in-game though.

On one shard, I heard of val runics dropping to 20-25m each because of this dupe, and multiples on vendors.

They will squash it, just a matter of when and how it gets squashed.

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I am not sure I understand your point elffyb. I don't believe I am asking for a walkthrough or pages and pages of information. Frankly many people who would agree with my post would not even reply to it because they may not have the time to even find this forum. I agree with you that too much information would be counterproductive to creating a community found here and within the game. But there are many people who play the game who don't have the time or resource to be part of the many types of communities found in UO, let alone jump to forums and web sites devoted to the game. There can be a middle ground where they provide some type of general info within the game for casual players. The login screen would be a perfect area that could alert players of some up coming event taking place in Destard around or between 1800 and 1900hrs your time zone on such and such date. That allows me the option of taking part in it or not, without feeling left out.

Also being part of communities is not always an option or desirable for some players. Most of my in game friends have left the game. Some of my experiences within guilds have not always been fun and wonderful. Developing good relationships takes time and effort which isn't always an option. One doesn't wish to take advantage of others or abuse the giving nature of others within the game. Having played many MMO's while staying in UO, I have found the UO really has a stable core of kind and giving players. Since I can't commit myself to a guild due to available time I play solo and meet others as I go along. I shouldn't be that disadvantaged because I choose this style. And I believe there are many people like myself that should be addressed and supported.

DaNgel

DaNgel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
the information on strangers was posted by the developers on stratics very clearly and plainly. All you needed to do was check developer posts to filter out all the crap the community members waste your time on.

As for the royal council slaying, I don't think the town criers could have made things any clearer.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
sounds like progress was made on the info front...sounds as if this event was pretty well planned out to include all types of players from casual to hardcore :)