Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is EA/Origin Trying To Shoo Away New Players?

- - - - - ea or origin players shoo

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Well I've said several times that I am of the opinion that EA is trying desperately to put UO in the red so that it can justify dropping it.... For years it's been trying to force everyone out of game.... either by making the worst changes possible to the game or by moving it's base around and completely or nearly completely wiping out it's dev team....... I am not sure that the actual Dev team members are included in this scheme of EA's or not...... but it's pretty clear to me that EA wants UO to fail..... First they tried with AoS...... that cleared a ton of people from UO....... but wasn't enough to get UO in the red...... so then they moved UO to redwood...... which made them pretty much have to redo the dev team..... they have consistently FAILED big time with giving UO a newer look and a better 3d engine .... either dropping it or going with something completely hideous in the case of the failed 3d we got with 3rd Dawn or the ever unpopular KR....... and when rolling out KR didn't drive off enough of the playerbase they moved EA to Virginia is it this time? I can't keep up...... Anyway..... now they give favoritsm to the asian shards...... kill the EM program in the states...... put out one failure after another...... I mean they said..... they were going to "beef up" the Vanguard spawn....... well ...... the Vanguards went from spawning 3 at a time to spawning only ONE and I don't know about other shards but on GL if your not "right" there when the thing spawns you may as well forget it cause it'll be dead in under 30 seconds.... So that's beefed up???????? I'm looking but "Where's the Beef?????"....... I sit by and try to enjoy the game I've loved for 8 years.... but in the meantime more and more of my long time friends are moving on.... no trouble with house placement now..... I can place a Max storage house just about anywhere now........ and I'm on GL which used to be one of THE most popular shards..... It's sad.....very sad. :'(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comicon

Comicon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
As to the 14 day free trial issue's, (which used to be 30 day's free) we can blame most of the problem's due to those damn real estate Squatter's with their little 7x7 plot's littering up all the land near IDOC's,..using (free trial) game codes, then they just let the account's close, but all those plot's would remain for 90 days or more, then using their real account's & char's, they monitor the IDOC's,... then when the time is right to place a Large tower or 18x18 they just reactivate the old account's and get all their plot's back as well,... thus selling the new large plot for $100mill. or more in UO gold or sell it online for $100.00 to $200.00 RL cash.
AS for EA, your right, not one minuet shred of advertisement. This game will, in my opinion, go on for ever, & if they did try to eliminate UO, the amount of class action law suites would be astronomical.
You would think that EA being one of the largest sponsor's of the Comicon Convention in San Diego, with 120,000 people per day for 4 day's they would at least have a poster of UO or something,... this will be my 6th Comicon & EA is always about WoW & other consol gaming.
End of Rant.

ferlingmule

ferlingmule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
[quote name='Comicon']

You would think that EA being one of the largest sponsor's of the Comicon Convention in San Diego, with 120,000 people per day for 4 day's they would at least have a poster of UO or something,... this will be my 6th Comicon & EA is always about WoW & other consol gaming.
QUOTE]

I just needed to share some SD Comicon love, since I will also be going this year! Didn't really get a chance to stop by EA last year since I was crunched for team, but I might this year and whine at my friends for the lack of UO stuff.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
For us players there is the option to call (don't ask me where though) and activate a trial account with no credit card.
Might also work if you email them?

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yeah I emailed them two days ago, no response yet. Even though it says "you will receive a response within 24 hours". I even gave them my home phone # and everything. I tried calling but could not get anywhere on the phone, and when I did get a live human being, it was someone in India. I don't mean an immigrant from India, I mean someone who was actually in India, because the connection was so terrible I could barely hear the fellow, nor understand him at all, nor could he understand me. Now I know some companies outsource employees for cheap labor, but this is ridiculous. It's like no one is actually running the damned company.

Whoever insinuated that EA doesn't want any new players... well, at least I thought someone here insinuated that. I mean, we have no advertising for the game, it's damned near impossible to find the game in a store, and it's pretty much apparent to me that you can't buy this game online because new players aren't allowed to... even I am not allowed to because my account isn't 30 days old yet, that's what it told me when I tried to used my login, well... if there is a class-action lawsuit, you can count me in on that one, this is disgusting.

Seiferguy

Seiferguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Where did you find the phone #. Im realllyy desperate and I'll give it a try.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
*sighs*

UOForums is becoming Stratics I see.

Sure, Josh Drescher of Mythic might be lying when he says that UO has about 100k subscribers and is still wildly profitable:

Warhammer time! // Interview // GamesIndustry.biz

Sure, he might be.

*shrugs*

Or, it might be that our game is doing just fine. Off our peak, considerably, to be sure.....But vibrant and fun and profitable, and very likely not in any danger whatsoever.

Where did we get this horrible persecution complex from?

-Galen's player

Rendarius

Rendarius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Well I've said several times that I am of the opinion that EA is trying desperately to put UO in the red so that it can justify dropping it.... For years it's been trying to force everyone out of game.... either by making the worst changes possible to the game or by moving it's base around and completely or nearly completely wiping out it's dev team....... I am not sure that the actual Dev team members are included in this scheme of EA's or not...... but it's pretty clear to me that EA wants UO to fail..... First they tried with AoS...... that cleared a ton of people from UO....... but wasn't enough to get UO in the red...... so then they moved UO to redwood...... which made them pretty much have to redo the dev team..... they have consistently FAILED big time with giving UO a newer look and a better 3d engine .... either dropping it or going with something completely hideous in the case of the failed 3d we got with 3rd Dawn or the ever unpopular KR....... and when rolling out KR didn't drive off enough of the playerbase they moved EA to Virginia is it this time? I can't keep up...... Anyway..... now they give favoritsm to the asian shards...... kill the EM program in the states...... put out one failure after another...... I mean they said..... they were going to "beef up" the Vanguard spawn....... well ...... the Vanguards went from spawning 3 at a time to spawning only ONE and I don't know about other shards but on GL if your not "right" there when the thing spawns you may as well forget it cause it'll be dead in under 30 seconds.... So that's beefed up???????? I'm looking but "Where's the Beef?????"....... I sit by and try to enjoy the game I've loved for 8 years.... but in the meantime more and more of my long time friends are moving on.... no trouble with house placement now..... I can place a Max storage house just about anywhere now........ and I'm on GL which used to be one of THE most popular shards..... It's sad.....very sad. :'(

If you think they started with AoS...... think back to Renesaince....Thats when I left, and so did a major part of the community that was uo on many shards. But Im not agreeing with you that they are trying to kill it.
They are just idiots thinking they are doing & can do cool things with an old outdated, badly programmed engine/game. It comes back to smack them in the face almost everytime. Thats their problem. If they'd have focused years ago on the CORE of what made this game good, and stopped trying to change and adapt to the "outside" influences... then UO would probably be a whole new game, BUT still be the old UO we all loved and enjoyed. And no one is ever 100% happy. They tried too hard to satisfy the minority whiners, and continued to effect their main customer base in the process of trying to attract a new customer base, and make the unhappy few happy.

LOL ...Im done. I didnt even want to talk about OSI [old days]/EA/EAMythic...except to point out that its been going on since Pre-Renessaince days. I came after T2A, so Im sure they were doing it before that as well.... Things need to change, true but the changes should never make things worse off for most players.... ... put a fork in me Im done :P:tard:

Rendarius

Rendarius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
If you cant even go to gamecodes and Pay for and activate a new Mondains account, then theres good reason to be annoyed.

I actually pointed someone that way earlier.
He was interested in coming back to UO.
But if he gets this problem too, then how long do you think hes going to keep trying?? Billing and Accounts is a MAJOR issue in MMORPGs in MHO.
If theres issues there, how much faith are you going to have in the company??/
Its one thing if youve played and been playing their games etc... but as a new subscriber...? Id be a bit hesitant to put my info in...

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
This is straight from their support pages...

If you wish to make your purchase over the phone, please contact us at 1-866-543-5435 and press option 1. If you are calling internationally, please call 1-650-628-4306.
Hours of operation are 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. PST, seven days a week.

But if you're bored and want to see exactly what I'm talking about, create a new account on UO's site and activate the trial period. Then go to uogamecodes and try to get a mondain's legacy upgrade code or new account code with that account. It will tell you your account is too young and needs to be 30 days old. Yet the trial runs out in 14 days, so you'll end up with plain ole' samurai empire for a month. Dumb. Really really really really dumb. Just sell me the damn code so I can get my friend into Mondain's Legacy, for crying out loud...

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
ok ok I clicked your eggs. please mr. dragon don;t come and eat my gold. I need it I die too much.

Nikko

Nikko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

This is straight from their support pages...

If you wish to make your purchase over the phone, please contact us at 1-866-543-5435 and press option 1. If you are calling internationally, please call 1-650-628-4306.
Hours of operation are 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. PST, seven days a week.

But if you're bored and want to see exactly what I'm talking about, create a new account on UO's site and activate the trial period. Then go to uogamecodes and try to get a mondain's legacy upgrade code or new account code with that account. It will tell you your account is too young and needs to be 30 days old. Yet the trial runs out in 14 days, so you'll end up with plain ole' samurai empire for a month. Dumb. Really really really really dumb. Just sell me the damn code so I can get my friend into Mondain's Legacy, for crying out loud...

I just came back to UO after 10 years and ran into the same thing. Horrible... just horrible. They do seem to make it difficult to get going.

Gaspar LeMarc

Gaspar LeMarc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Yeah, I had the same problem after my 3 year hiatus. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for me, all my old characters had been completely deleted at some point so I had to start from scratch. It took me a month to train up one character to 5x120 so I didn't mind having to play samurai empire for awhile before I could get my ML upgrade code.

~Gaspar LeMarc

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well I talked some friends of mine who actually got me started on UO back in 2001 to come back, and unlike me they actually have their original account and characters... they are not going to like this at all. But at least I won't be lonely in UO.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Then go to uogamecodes and try to get a mondain's legacy upgrade code or new account code with that account. It will tell you your account is too young and needs to be 30 days old. Yet the trial runs out in 14 days, so you'll end up with plain ole' samurai empire for a month. Dumb. Really really really really dumb. Just sell me the damn code so I can get my friend into Mondain's Legacy, for crying out loud...

Isn't there a Mondain's Legacy trial download somewhere? I recall referring a friend to it a while back, but don't have the link anymore.

As I recall, it was a valid download that was good for a 15-day trial, and definitely wasn't SE, because I was taking him to Heartwood in Yew.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

*sighs*

How so?

Sure, Josh Drescher of Mythic might be lying when he says that UO has about 100k subscribers and is still wildly profitable:

Warhammer time! // Interview // GamesIndustry.biz

Sure, he might be.

*shrugs*

Or, it might be that our game is doing just fine. Off our peak, considerably, to be sure.....But vibrant and fun and profitable, and very likely not in any danger whatsoever.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I re-read the entire thread, and there was one post that was borderline persecution with no finger pointing, but was clearly personal opinion, and another with a view that was opposing yours. As far as the rest of the thread, it was actually very informative and shows exactly how big a problem it is just to try to just get IN UO for new players.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yeah, the whole point of my original post was to point out just how difficult they make it for new players to join. It seems counterproductive to me, to run a francise like this. It made me feel very... rejected and unwelcome. That makes little sense, since they're taking my money and making a profit. Why wouldn't they want to make money? The whole thing just blows my @*^&#&#)*(&# mind.

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I think outsourcing is to blame for many things, from degrading support to gaps in communication chains in businesses. I recall calling UO support back when OSI was still OSI and their techs were in Austin, and usually within 10 minutes I could get a problem resolved.

It's sad that we can't get things rolling faster these days, and the same goes for many big companies (Dell for example, unless you pay to have XPS premier support, that is).

It's not necessarily all EA's fault, it's just because of companies that offer a cheap alternative to staffing tech support that the big companies will go that route, because it's a lot cheaper to pay someone in another country than it is to pay someone to sit at a desk and take phone calls here in the USA.

The ultimate truth is, a lot of support people now only work at home. Offices are becoming a thing of the past, due to overhead costs and many other considerations.

I wish there was a simple and definitive solution to all of it, but there isn't, or it would have already been done.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Galen, you made the following staement

*sighs*

-Galen's player

to which Dip replied

How so?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I re-read the entire thread, and there was one post that was borderline persecution with no finger pointing, but was clearly personal opinion, and another with a view that was opposing yours. As far as the rest of the thread, it was actually very informative and shows exactly how big a problem it is just to try to just get IN UO for new players.

Can you please support your statement ,thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
For what little it's worth, my take on how UO is or is not marketed is that it's suffering from a general lack of certainty about where the thing is heading, and that dates back before Mythic's time.

In all honesty, it's been pretty 'new player unfriendly' for years, so many things are just plain counterintuitive or contradictory (and that's just stuff that works, never mind bugged or incomplete systems!) you really do need someone to help you figure out what is going on, and a bunch of websites and forums bookmarked to let you find out how to get anywhere in-game, especially if you were attracted by a particular playstyle like PvP. That's a marketing nightmare, even if you do get the game on the store shelves, because you're not in a market where 'selling the game box' is the aim, in this arena you're after getting the monthly fees for years to come.

My suspicion is that after less than stellar sales of expansions up to SE, and more importantly them not drawing in and keeping a lot of long-term players, they tried a rethink on marketing and hoped on-line distribution would work for ML - except the organisation, advertising and promotion of ML was not good, and the product came out hideously bugged (I know from the beta test a load of us reported glaring faults in the first week or two of Beta, and were seriously unimpressed when those same faults were there months later in the 'gold' release!). The potential for a good 'online only' release still there though, and so was tried again for KR, with a lot more advertising (although I still think not enough), but again didn't really reach a big enough market, and again the 'gold' release really was not fit for use at the time it was let out.

The hope with KR was for a better structured, easily useable game that people could pick up, get into easily, like the graphics and gameplay and therefore stick around. I'm fairly sure the idea was subsequent to KR would be the point where they would take the great new client, blitz stores with a shiny new box for Stygian Abyss, let rip on marketing and have a properly co-ordinated campaign for new customers - except things went badly wrong with KR, and we're back with a lot of people wondering what on earth to do next.....

It's not a deliberate campaign to lose players and close the game, it makes MONEY, rather a lot of MONEY, and nobody - especially EA - turns that tap off. I think it's down to not having a clear, sensible plan for how to handle the product, it's just not like anything else they deal with, not even any other mmorpg, and people are floundering trying to work out how to take it forwards.

I remain convinced one of the reasons EA wanted Mythic to take it on was that Mythic clearly 'got' something about how mmorpgs works, and EA were increasingly aware that their existing structure didn't 'get it' at all, but the differences between UO and other mmorpgs are making even that 'greater understanding' less effective than anyone expected.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea or origin, players, shoo