Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is EA/Origin Trying To Shoo Away New Players?

- - - - - ea or origin players shoo

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
It's really hard to find this game in a store, and I was lucky to find the one lousy copy at GameStop. So, when I tried to get my friend into the game, we ran into bit of a stupid loophole. It seems you can only purchase new account activation codes from uogamecodes.com *IF* you already have an active account. Could not log in with my friends new account to buy a new account activation code online to save our life, and my account is too new to log in with and so it spat in my face as well. This is the first annoyance I've ran into since I started played Ultima Online again, and remember that I've played and quit this game three times before, mostly do to foolish absurdities like this. So... how can I get my friend into this game when we're rejected at every turn? The only option I see is to order the game from Amazon.com or something. Really, what the hell is EA/Origin or whoever runs that freakshow thinking? New players can't purchase this game! Why would they want new players? Dhurrrr....

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
from the UO new account page:

"Don’t have a registration code? Use this one! Enter FREE-UOKR-REG1-14DT and start an Ultima Online account with 14-days free. (This code can only be used once per person.)"

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Speaking from personal opinion only, I feel EA is letting UO hang around for as long as they make money (I'll no longer going to use the word "profit" as it is blatently obvious they are not putting any significant portion of money being drawn in back into the product) from whoever remains (or any that may accidentally return/join) in game.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
That free trial code didn't do jack squat, sadly.
So... is Ultima Online dying, because that's pretty sad. I've always thought it had that certain something other games lacked. If it's that bad off, maybe they should just let it go.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UO is basically on life support, it has been for sometime now
It's been what? 3 years since the last expansion?
No updates to Stygian Abyss in many months and that was due out last year.
You could try buying via Amazon or gogamer.com - Ultima Online - 9th Age

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Huh... why exactly is this happening to UO?

Seiferguy

Seiferguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So I'm eager to try out UO. I wanted to play, and I see their's a 14 day free trial. So I sign up, I download the game, which takes 2 hours. Than wait through 2 more hours of patching. All the while waiting and waiting for it to finish. When I go to log in, it says I can't, presumably because I haven't entered my Subscription info. So I go back and look, check around online. And I guess I need to input my CC information to get the FREE trial. And it also looks like I have to pay for 1 month NOW and they give me 14 free days. This is bogus.

I don't have a CC laying around to use unfortunatly. I'm still 17 for a month. I can hound a friend to use theirs with money upfront when I try, but when i propose the idea of "Let me use it, but it costs us nothing" they will think somethings fishy.

So what's the deal with this rediculassly stupid free trial? I want to play without inputting my CC.

Looks like UO just lost one more potential customer, Because I certainly won't be thinking UO! The second i turn 18 and get a credit card. Unfortunate for them, since their already dying as it is.

I just wanted to try it! GRR

Kellerman

Kellerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
One thing to note:

They actually won't charge the card until you have finished the free trial. I just got done with this trial, and I think it pre-authorized a dollar or two on my card, just to make sure it was valid, but it didn't charge the full amount until day 12 or so (if you read carefully, it says it will charge a day or two early, to make sure you have uninterrupted service.)

Seiferguy

Seiferguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow that's terrible buissness. That is nothing but a way to get money. So people who forget to cancel on day 14 get charge. But wait! That, which many sites do isn't good enough, they say 14 day triel but charge on the 12'th, JUST incase you were gunna remember.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Well might I suggest that you let your friend play one of your characters on your computer for a few hours? While he is hanging out with you, you will be able to explain things better if your in the same room together. Instead of in game. Then if he really digs the game just order it from whoever has it for sale. Tell him while you guys are waiting for his copy to arrive, you will try to get a few items in game for him to help him out. Try to find the 9th anniversary edition, the last released box set.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth

Without The Community You Are Limited

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
Okay so we brought one player because his friend let him play his character.

So umm we have to pray to god every member of UO is geting their friend to play..... Or we have no one.

I THINK!

They should just do one last Heart Charge into the game. Run a online ad some places and put some boxes on the damn shelf!

Its funny because the one thing that sticks out in my mind for years now is the dumest thing ever said by an EA rep.

I believe it was the producer of Sam Empi or ML

"We get new players by word of mouth. Thats why we dont advertise Ultima Online."

That was the DUMBEST AND BIGGEST COP OUT EVER!!!!

Should have said

"Well we dont want to advertise it because you dumbass players wont do ($&% if we dont advertise. You will still give us your money every month and we will throw you a bone here or there with in-game events. Sorry its not my fault your all ignorant and dont know when to stand up for yourself. here let me walk on your face some more."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
For the option of not getting charged....sadly you must put in cc info to activate acct, once acct is activated just go to sub info page again and cancel subscription it will give the option (if I remember correctly) of canceling immediately or at end of billing cycle, choose end of cycle option, this gives you the free 14 days and wont charge you, if you decide to continue to play just hit renew subscription option. Easy and wont get charged for anything your not ready for, I do this with all my online games to make sure I control when the money comes outta the bank! :)

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

For the option of not getting charged... once acct is activated just go to sub info page again and cancel subscription it will give the option (if I remember correctly) of canceling immediately or at end of billing cycle, choose end of cycle option, this gives you the free 14 days and wont charge you, if you decide to continue to play just hit renew subscription option. Easy and wont get charged for anything your not ready for, I do this with all my online games to make sure I control when the money comes outta the bank! :)

Spot on merth.Cancel sub as soon as your trial is activated.I think you will find putting in CC details goes for any game these days,not just UO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I didn't have to put in any CC info for the LOTRO or WoW trial demos at all.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

For the option of not getting charged....sadly you must put in cc info to activate acct, once acct is activated just go to sub info page again and cancel subscription it will give the option (if I remember correctly) of canceling immediately or at end of billing cycle, choose end of cycle option, this gives you the free 14 days and wont charge you, if you decide to continue to play just hit renew subscription option. Easy and wont get charged for anything your not ready for, I do this with all my online games to make sure I control when the money comes outta the bank! :)

Couldn't an alternative way be just to remove the active billing info immediately after putting the CC in for activation?

I think this works just as well.

If not, use a pre-paid card to make sure you don't get billed. Pre-paids don't run overdrafts, in my experience. They just don't run when the balance is too low.

Kellerman

Kellerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I know for a fact that (most) pre-paid cards don't let you overdraft. I have problems keeping up with my spending, so I don't use the bank card anymore, I just load up the pre-paid and use it. Saves me an average of 30 bucks a month in overdraft charges!

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
You can use prepaids, or paypal one time use CC's, for the UO free trial.

I believe the credit card requirement for free trials was put into place to stop people from getting multiple accounts they didn't have to pay for and unatended macroing them all together.

Seiferguy

Seiferguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
If you think that making an account with a CC than opting to have the sub cancelled at the end of the term is so very possible. Than make an account and do that, and give it to me. 9/10 that means I can't see the CC info or "re-activate" it.

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I used to care about credit cards back in the day, but nowadays you can buy one at your local Rite Aid, which is what I've been doing. I buy a $50 visa or mastercard and replace it when it's empty... not a problem these days and you don't even need to be 18, at least I don't think you do.

Anyway, the problem wasn't credit cards, it was uogamecodes.com being a broken piece of #*^&, which it obviously is, and aside from buying this game in a store (GOOD LUCK!), your only other option is to order it online from amazon.com or some place like that. If this game is dying, I can pretty much guarantee you this is at least one of the reasons. How the hell do they expect to get new players if no one can actually BUY THE GAME!??!? Am I missing something? Is this not the dumbest business practice I've seen from an online game so far (except for SOE and Starwars Galaxies--BURN IN HELL SOE!!!)

And I have to ask, right now. In all honesty, is Ultima Online really dying? Because if it is, I'll just drop out right now and go to some other game, like WoW. Or better yet, save my money and go back to living. There seems to be players in the game, though I wish there were more. The ones there just stand around the bank and remain silent for hours on end, so I am starting to wonder if they're real people. I just want to know if UO is going to be around much longer, and if I should waste my time working on characters that will be dead soon due to bankruptsy. Thank you.

Risso

Risso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Which shard are you on? I'd say move to Europa as the community there is outstanding, and as a new player you'll receive a lot of support. Or, go to one of the more popular US shards such as Atlantic, the bank is usually buzzing and is most similar to the way it used to be on every shard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ea or origin, players, shoo