Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

How outdated Am i?

- - - - - outdated

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Diomedes

Diomedes

Stealth/Archer !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I am from the atlantic shard. i haven't played in about 3 years. Back when i used to play i pretty much ran the shard for factions and such with my hybrid warrior. (remember this was way before scrolls and such). I could go one on one with pretty much anything at the time and loved it. But i know alot has changed and really wanna know how outdated this character is.

85/80/55 i think? (haven't logged on to check)
100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Resist
100 fencing
100 Magery
100 Healing
100 Hiding

I mainly played factions when i played. Loved all the running around and such. This setup let me run when i needed, and dual one on one with any warrior/mage. with 2 kinds of healing maximum damage (at the time) with a para blow with gm resist life was easy for the most part with UO Assist.

Please give me ur input before i start to play again. Will this setup still work?

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Okies, here we go. What alot of people are doing nowadays, is running 6 skill temps. I would say drop magery off cause finding good weaps with SC and no -1 fc is hard to find, so you would be behind in the fc. I would drop hiding and throw something like ninjitsu or bushido and you should be set.

I would say go something like this
110 tact
100 anat
110 resist(minimum)
120 fencing
90 heal
100 bushido
and 90 to play with whatever you want, maybe change stuff around to get up to gm parry or something. Just a few ideas. best thing to do is go on a test shard right now and toy around with templates. you wont get the exact setup you want as far as stats like hci dci and di but you can get a general idea of what you want.

Diomedes

Diomedes

Stealth/Archer !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
see heres the problem though. as a Faction character Hiding is a great benefit. Allows for more time healing and ups ur chance of survival in a 1 v lot of people battle. I choose magery cuz i got so accustomed to having my 50 point heals on the spot against mages, and i used it so much when it was me and other warriors. i was able to portal us around and such. Now i am not sure what a nijistu is or w/e u called it. must be a new skill i haven't researched yet. I never picked up parry cuz i like using a spear. (Weapon of Choice) keep the comments coming

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Ninjitsu and Bushido are the top PvP... i guess spell sets now. Seeing asyouve not been around for a while im guessing you didnt see chivalry and necromancy either? All of them 4 skills come with a book of spells much like magery. Necromancy is the only one that uses regents (and is also flavour of the month for many). Its well worth reading up about what they do on uo.com . Both chivalry and necromancy even have ways of healing/recalling.

Also, with regard to not using parry with a spear, theres been a change to parry (about 2 years ago i think). Parry now works with double handed weapons. Therefore even archers can parry effictively now with bows equipped.

Posted Image

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
ninja+poisoning

go 120 weap skill and can lock poisoning at 80 and be effective.

get 4/6 chiv and keep karma neutral and can get by w/o anat/heal; (even as a red)
only drawback is inability to res red guildies (can res blue w/ noble sac)

This leaves room for alot

120 ninja
120 weaponskill
120 resist
gm-120 parry
100-105 chiv
80 poisoning
70+hiding

-very effective template, and also quite fun to play.

btw, hiding ftw, allways =p

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
-btw archers' cannot parry, unless they have fixed it.
Not even w/ parry+bushido.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Cutter, wouldnt he be a bit more effective if he had some tactics on there? I know you can get alot of DI on items, but if he cant get the right setup with those, atleast GM tact would help tremendously. I always run 110 tact minimum. I lowered my anat on my chars tho to tweak a few more skills on it. I had a really nice built archer, that I have always hated using, that I am going to make into a nox-fencer, and am gonna lower anat and healing from 110 and 110 to 100 and 100. gonna get rid of my 80 hiding, and there will be enough there for nox. I need to go out and find a 120 fencing though, but in the meantime I have 115s to use. I have some nice fencing weaps that I made with a gold hammer so those will be excellent once I get the skills up.

As far as the resist comment you made earler. I am the type that realizes I am gonna die. Most likely alot. I want to build my char for alot of power, and not soo much defensive. Although I run with like 38dci and 110 parry, so I fare well. But I figure if I am gonna get my buff bar filled up with 6-8 red dots, I am gonna die regardless. I will just go get rezzed, come back and whoop some ass. However, I always have resists on my mage chars. Its the dexer ones that I just dont want to give up any offensive power to do it. I know guys who run without tactics just for resist, and I cant see giving up 100-120 points just to curb a para or curse. Just my opinion, as I die alot, soooo....

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I see you;re point...and no doubt tactics will raise you're base damage some...but I look at it this way.

Take an archer...put on decent DI and mebee anat (archer should have anat/heal anyways since parry is useless on archer) and you will do 35 damage ai's w/ 0 tactics.

Add tactics...your AIs will still do 35.
Having tactics will increase the amount of damage you do on a non-special move hit, but that is about it. Id love to have tactics on every char I have, but there are just too many other more important skills. I dont think Ive had tactics on any char since before they nerfed ai I played a tactics mage some and used a hatchet.

I imagine it depends on the template...tactics would be nice sometimes. But most dexer templates these days...the pvp is jousting style. That means run around alot, hit once to bleed/disarm/lp, or what ever. Chase some more, get off another special. Fighting like this tactics doesnt matter. If you want to stand there and do massive damage on normal (non special) swings, then sure, get tactics...but have fun being para ganked is all im sayin =p

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
btw, not attacking anybody else' templates, or claiming to "know better"
Just sharing my ideas and template with a returning old player =0
everyone obviously has their own opinions on what is and is not effective or viable as far as skillset goes.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well there is more than AIs tho. I use a swdsman that uses a bokuto/talon bite combo. I nerve em, switch out real quick, and hack away with the TB. I just recently redid the suit with my jackals from my retired archer, so I am at 150 dex. I swing incredibly fast. With 115 tact, 120 swds and little over 100DI, I do on average, 30s on normal hits, and 45+ on crushing blows. The majority I fight are necro/mages, who generally run around with crap phys resist. So I can usually take them out in 3-4 hits. It has been the template I have ran since damn near day one, with the exception of recently added in 90 bushido. I may try out taking tactics off and throwing in resist, but like I said, if I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die. I dont want to spend 100+ points just for the purpose of delaying that impending death due to 5000 poison, pain strikes, explos, FSs and withers. No amount of resist is gonna block that gank. But usually 1v1 if some guy paras me, I am free by the next hit, and confidence and heal through it, and hes back on the run. I find that people usually fight while running and usually just mini healing when they are 1v1 with me. So the trade off of power over resist, I go for power. There is nothing like seeing a mage drop in 2 hits with a TB! hehe..

Diomedes

Diomedes

Stealth/Archer !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
hmmm i have def missed alot. i played awhile today and learned quite a bit about how the game has changed. but i need opinions now guys my char stands as follows:

100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Resist
100 fencing
100 Magery
100 Healing
100 Hiding

I was told to change it to:

100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Resist
100 fencing
100 Parry
100 Healing
100 Chiv

Remember this is a factions char on Atlantic. I really wanna do damage when i hit someone (i have always liked a spear.. i still can't believe parry helps). so fill me in. i am open to anything right now. i just got my house and uo assist back and gettin ready to go.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Ok, you can drop chiv down to 80, maybe even 70. That is all you will need in PvP. You can effectivly drop healing to 90, and add whatever is left into resist and fencing. You will want to atleast get 110 fencing, and try to get to 120. You will notice a big diff..

Go this
110 tact
100 anat
100 heal
110 fenc (can drop heal to 90 and go 120 fence if you want)
110 parry (or bushido) if you dont want parry
80 chiv (can leave heal 100, fence 120, and go 70 here if you want too)
110 resist
=720 skill pts

Just an option. You can play with the skillset to get a feel of how you want to go, but 100 weapon skill will not cut it whatsoever nowadays.

Diomedes

Diomedes

Stealth/Archer !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
i hate parry... i hate having a shield. i have since day one in 2001 when i played lol. Will i still be ok with 110 bushido against parry warriors or mages? i really like that template that u suggested thinking this:

110 tact
100 anat
90 heal
120 fence
110 bushido
70 chiv
110 resist

= 720 skill pts

with this setup, can i still use a long spear and be effective and do damage? thanks

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Yes you will do really good damage. If you go 110 bushido, you will do just fine. I have 115, but just cause I have the skill room. With bushido, you can use lightning strike and get a bonus to your hci, and possibly a critical hit. You can evade alot of mage spells, you can confidence to heal yourself almost like med works. It boosts up your hpr tremendously. I think with this template you will do very well, and will be satisfied with the damage output. Just make sure to find some good hci/dci/di mods. Like the talisman for 20di, the quiver for 5dci(it works for anyone, not just archers) stormgrips/gauntlets of nobility for 20 or 25 di, and some jewelry and you will be set dude!

I am almost considering changing my archer into this.. hehe. But instead of archery, doing fencing. resist, doing poison, and instead of tact, doing ninjitsu. Kinda a weird hybrid power output character.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
cant evade unless you have parry + bushido I believe.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well there is more than AIs tho. I use a swdsman that uses a bokuto/talon bite combo. I nerve em, switch out real quick, and hack away with the TB. I just recently redid the suit with my jackals from my retired archer, so I am at 150 dex. I swing incredibly fast. With 115 tact, 120 swds and little over 100DI, I do on average, 30s on normal hits, and 45+ on crushing blows. The majority I fight are necro/mages, who generally run around with crap phys resist. So I can usually take them out in 3-4 hits. It has been the template I have ran since damn near day one, with the exception of recently added in 90 bushido. I may try out taking tactics off and throwing in resist, but like I said, if I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die. I dont want to spend 100+ points just for the purpose of delaying that impending death due to 5000 poison, pain strikes, explos, FSs and withers. No amount of resist is gonna block that gank. But usually 1v1 if some guy paras me, I am free by the next hit, and confidence and heal through it, and hes back on the run. I find that people usually fight while running and usually just mini healing when they are 1v1 with me. So the trade off of power over resist, I go for power. There is nothing like seeing a mage drop in 2 hits with a TB! hehe..

Any reasonably intelligent mage will realize you have no resist eventually. At that point he will an ex por you, Cross field you w/ 2 energy fields (trapping you)
At that point its up to him how to finish ya...but yer dead in the water. Myself I like to put two ev's down next to the victim at this point, possible disarm him, maybee poison him, and watch as the ev's finish him =p

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Yah but the thing is, when you are field fighting, their red friends are chomping at you and will hit you and free you in a second, which is what happens to me 99% of the time. I havent been fielded in, in god knows how long. Then I usually take one of them down with me, along with my surefire death. Oh well, its only 2700 gold a pop. Its just a game, so it doesnt bother me too much. I dont play to be the best, I play to enjoy myself, whether it be dying or killing.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
true. One should definitely play the template they want to above all else....and play a template that they enjoy. Thats most important =0

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I totally agree. I feel that if someone wants to play a damn archer, then go ahead. Until someone pays my monthly fees, I will play any damn template I want to. I CANT STAND WHEN ASSES TELL ME "PLAY A MAGE GET SOME SKILL" I have a mage, a necro/mage and a chiv mage. the nec/mage is red with i think 51 counts now. I dont play it alot, but I am getting better. But I prefer a hand to hand battle as opposed to who can get their explo/fs/pain spk/pois spk/ harm harm harm off before the other guy. I love to jack a dude up with mortals, bleeds, nerves, conc blows, para blows. There is alot more than 2 buttons as high and mighty mages say. I never diss a guy for a template he plays. Although the necros right now are pissing me the hell off. Enough with the circle jerk of withers!!!!!

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Harr, dude doesnt like withers..... Whoops for me on some of the murderous tales :P

I agree with cutter though. I can stand being a mage in any game. Mages just arnt me im afraid. I have a Necro Pally which i enjoyed (why the hell does nobody count him?!?). Was a character i realy enjoyed being :)

Posted Image