Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mage Weapon skill

- - - - - mage skill weapon

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Lets say I am 120 mage and I arm myself with a -20 mage weapon mace, this means that I am a gm mace and a gm mage? But this also means that I can't use any of the weapon specials because I have no tactics? If I did added tactics to my template, then could I use the weapon specials? I am just trying to understand this whole mage weapon thing.

Ash

Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I believe the answer is yes to all your questions, but if you plan on casting spells with the weapon equipped it will need Spell Chanelling as well or you will drop the weapon when casting and have to re-equip after. the tactics requirement is the same, so will need 70 to do primary and 90 to secondary moves.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Yes, you will be GM magery. Your macing skill loses no value, so it is whatever your real and/or jewelled up skill level is. In other words, if you were 120 macing and magery, your magery would drop to 100 but not your macing.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
Mage Weapon only overrides if your after reduced mage skill would be higher than your macing skill.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
So you still have to have macing? Someone told me the other day that if a 120 mage can arm themself with a -20 mage weapon, the he become a gm macer without having macing skill. The only reason I am asking is because the other night at the Yew gate I was playing anound with someone from VIP! and he was casting magery, he was hitting people with a mace, and I believe I saw him switch to a cross bow. So does this char have archery, macing, and magery skills, or does the -mage weapon makes him gm macer and a gm archery?

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
You got it right the first time, don't let them confuse you :)

You don't need macing. If you are 120 mage and equip a -20 mage weapon, you can cast like a gm mage and hit like gm macer without needing the macing skill. As seid before, it is preferable that the weapon also is spellchanneling so it doesn't uneuip upon casting.
The guy form VIP! propably got a nice mageweapon/sc mace and the same as x-bow.
As you asumed, as setup like this is most efficient with tactics thrown in for the special attacks.

Hope I could clarify a bit...

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

You got it right the first time, don't let them confuse you :)

You don't need macing. If you are 120 mage and equip a -20 mage weapon, you can cast like a gm mage and hit like gm macer without needing the macing skill. As seid before, it is preferable that the weapon also is spellchanneling so it doesn't uneuip upon casting.
The guy form VIP! propably got a nice mageweapon/sc mace and the same as x-bow.
As you asumed, as setup like this is most efficient with tactics thrown in for the special attacks.

Hope I could clarify a bit...

Yes thank you

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Now I got my own question concerning mage weapons ;)

What happend if a legendary swordsman with 0.0 magery equips a mage weapon sword? Will he attack with a skill of 0.0 or with a skill of 120.0?

Lady Hester Tarian

Lady Hester Tarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
He will attack with 0 skill since the effectiveness of using a mage weapon is based on the magery skill alone. HOWEVER, if you have tactics, it helps with the damage you do, just as with a weapon skill. We tested it a long time ago for my knights who also used magery for battle. They used the ice staffs to begin their battles, since one also had tactics, the other did not, the one without tactics did a lot more running that night! Oh what fond memories.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drowy

Drowy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You cant perform weapon specials on a mage weapon when u dont have the weapon skill. Tactics wont help.

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

He will attack with 0 skill since the effectiveness of using a mage weapon is based on the magery skill alone.

Are you sure about this? I had always heard that your magery skill only matters if it is higher than the melee skill after reduction.

Lady Hester Tarian

Lady Hester Tarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
Absolutely positive! Can't always go by what you hear, I guess. *smiles*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sorry, but I'm absolutely positive they use your melee skill if it is higher. I just went onto test and hit skeletons, zombies and the like 100% of the time with 120 swords and 0 magery using the swords of prosperity. I should have had a 0% chance to hit them if it were using my magery.

Edit: sorry if this post made me sound like a jerk, I was just trying to correct the info for everybody...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mage, skill, weapon