Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

I'm a 7-Year Noob!

- - - - - 7year noob

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Ah, uh... how to even say this...? Well, a friend of mine got me into Ultima back in 2001, but I ended up quitting. I don't even remember why, but it probably had to do with personal life issues. I had a GM Smith that took me forever to build, and I was sad to let him go. A year or so later I came back and made a GM Smith again, and somehow ended up quitting again for reasons I again cannot remember. My third time back, a few years later, I went all-out and not only made a GM Smith, but turned him into a multi-skilled mule: GM Smith, GM Tailor, GM Miner, GM Carpenter, GM Tinker, 75 Magery and 45 Musicianship. Pretty much a mule who could make anything except potions and scrolls, I think, and I ended up making a mage with 100 Magery, 100 Evaluate Intelligence, 100 Alchemy, 100 Inscription and 100 Meditation! Sadly, I quit again... I had a few characters and my favorite was a Paladin with 100 in most things...

The most embarassing part of all this is simple to explain, though... despite all these "accomplishments", nothing more than a strain on my limited patience, to tell the truth... I didn't learn much about Ultima Online at all. Just how to make mules and fight in a few dungeons alone. To this very day, you see... I'm still a moronic noob that knows pretty much nothing about UO. Especially now!

Well, here's the thing... yet again I have made a mule. I intend to re-claim all that I have lost, and I have so far rebuilt my mule by gaining GM Mining, Smithing and Tinkering. All of this in about 6 days, in fact, so if there's anything I've gotten good at in UO, it's this. But I know this is all I can do right. And to tell the truth, I don't know what's going on anymore. Last I left, rune hammers and power scrolls were just getting really popular. I guess it was 3.5-4.5 years ago. Paladins and Necromancers were new. Now we have ninjas, samurais and elves. Next we'll have gargoyles. And I'm back to square one, and clueless! I don't even know what to do. I'll certainly make another warrior, training by collecting hides for my mule, then moving on to Shame to slaughter Earth Elementals. That's where I spent most of my time with my Paladin. That and some other dungeon with weird cat-like people (well I know there were golems there you could salvage... after you killed them). All I can say is I couldn't get much help from anyone. I joined a guild but they weren't willing to teach me anything or talk much, they just raided dungeons and I usually got left behind to die. Maybe that's why I gave up last time.

Well, all I wanted to do was say hello, and that I'm not new to UO, but I am inexperienced, and I would appreciate any advice at all, to be honest. I'll continue building my mule, and I have a second mule this time as well, just to make sure I can make everything there is to make, including bows which is something I didn't get a chance to do last time. I won't focus too much on crafting because it gets agonzing after a time, but as anything BUT a crafter, I don't know what to do or where to go. I know how to find basic towns with the gates, but I don't know where any dungeons are. I don't know where *anything* is, and I can't find a UO site with maps. I was using uo.stratics.com but I realize now that it seems to have been abandoned. I mean, the essays there are the same ones from when I started, and there seems to be a lot in the game that's not even mentioned there, spanning a few expansion packs. I just don't know how to catch up, and I'm overwhelmed. *sigh*

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
welcome,

can you remember your old account and password name? because if you can, you can reactivate your old account and save you the trouble of training a mule again. They have not done a character wipe in many years, so yours should still be there.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Welcome back, and welcome to UOF!
Automap is a pretty handy tool. It shows where everything is, still.

What shard are you on? We have some great guilds and individuals who I am sure can give you a guided tour lol.

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Welcome! I don't have much experience either. I have not really met anyone in game to play with. I convinced a friend to start playing but he is in the process of moving so that's on hold. However, I'm on Atlantic. If you are, and want to do anything just let me know!

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
welcome back

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

welcome back

There's something a little creepy about seeing someone welcomed back by Death...=)

Solidchrome

Solidchrome

† Virtual hero- real life geek †

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
Welcome back, and welcome to UO Forums! :)

Tovladian Soltyr- "..then I saw it was Solid and I was like "Ah ok" because we all know he's not the most complete box of crayons.."

UOForums Need Your Donations- Click Here

Abby

Abby

Misunderstood Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi! Welcome back! I'm a 10 year-newb! AND PROUD OF IT! The experience of roaming around finding stuff out is a lot of the fun... I think..

Of course, everyone has their own idea of fun.

I think a lot of my "surviving" UO so long can be attributed to not having any desire to know EVERYTHING or have EVERYTHING. I learn it all in my own time. You know? BUT. Being totally lost is no fun. I use UOguide a lot. I ask questions here when something comes up. Everyone has been very nice here. You might like UOcraft too.

If you're on Chessie we can go hunting!!!

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hey, I appreciate that. Lots of nice people here. Lemme tell ya, I've had some run-ins with some bad people in UO in my time. My friend that got me started all those years ago is interested in playing again. He says that he has a character with 120 Swordsmanship and 120 Tactics, so obviously he's been playing a while and not telling me... ha! But when me and my friend first started playing, there was no such thing as Trammel. We got... shall we say, "surprises" all the time. Between the random raids and killings, we also got conned a lot. Ah, memories. But things have changed and depending on your point-of-view, for the better. I have nothing against PKers, though. It's a style of play I may one day try. One day. Like when I've done everything else. But I wouldn't do it to take pleasure in tormenting noobs which is obviously what these misguided ne'er-do-wells were up to.

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Welcome home.

If you have questions or whatever if they are specific questions just come here and post them.... there are alot of great people around here who would be more than willing to help you answer some questions.... perhaps even show you around depending on what shard you call home.

Posted Image
Please click the egg/hatchling and help my dragons grow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gryphonuo

gryphonuo

LORD GRYPHON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Wb

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Ah yeah... it's been a hectic couple of days, and tomorrow I have to travel for 2 days. When I get back I'll probably need some help. There are a lot of nice people here, I see. And for that I am glad.

Well, here's one... can't seem to find a shop that sells full spellbooks or runebooks or that sort. I used a moongate to go to different areas to look for shops and went to Moonglow and noticed a big hole in the ground with lightning around it, that sure wasn't there last time I played. And I went to Magicina and the whole damn town was gone! I eventually got out of there but that sucked. How does one... find a good shop? I guess I could ask around at the Britain bank.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Which server are you on again? Im sure someone here that plays same server will be able to help you with a fullspellbook.

Otherwise, asking at brit bank trammel or Luna bank can surely help you

Posted Image

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Catskills, yeah I did find someone nice enough to make me one on the spot. Now I'm having trouble finding a decent place to buy reagents. NPCs seem to have 20 at a time. I seem to remember a certain place in some type of jungle that sold them by the hundreds, though. Can't remember where it was or how to get there.

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
I know on Atlantic you could get a 100 LRC suit for about 89k gold. When I first started on Chessy someone actually gave me one for free.

If you could find one of those everything would be so much easier.

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Ah yeah I remember those... I didn't have that much but even a little lower reagent cost helps. Well about 40% is what I think I had. I'm having real trouble finding any good shops while wandering. Maybe it's gotten to be too much trouble for the owners.

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
I'd help you out if I played on your shard! Hopefully, someone will come along and help.

I just began playing a mage so I don't know much :)

ChromaticDevil

ChromaticDevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I remember there being a word you say on a pentagram or some such thing... I am pretty sure it's in Papua now, because I went there looking for reagents. Unfortunately, my noob a$$ got toasted by a bunch of demons and other things that just appeared out of nowhere. In the shop. *shrug* They looted all of my reagents and left everything else. I need vengeance.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I hope someone will help you get a lrc suit, one cant really be without it these days..

Regs shops are hard and expensive to find.. even tho my chars had about 10k each regs as backup in bank.. But lrc is the way to go

Posted Image

Calell

Calell

Red-Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • 2,245 posts
buy a shop up yourself...go to an out of the way shop that you haven't seen much traffic at...(stay away from Papua since it's got some crazy quest spawn crap in it right now!)I recommend the eastern moonglow shop on the little peninsula...Buy it out at 20, let it respawn, it will have 40...buy it out, and it just keeps doubling til it spawns 999. that's why some shops were higher, because people always bought them out as soon as they spawn. Hope this helps. It usually takes anywhere from 5-45 minutes for a shopkeeper to respawn, with an average being about 10-15 mins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Nev!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 7year, noob