Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Will Mortal Online be similar to classic UO?

- - - - - classic mortal online similar uo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

bhuma

bhuma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just came across a newly announced MMO called Mortal Online, which is being produced by company in Sweden. According to their website, the core development team was involved in the beta days of UO.

Apparently, MO is designed to be a true sandbox, skill-based, level-less game, with full FFA and full loot pvp, where you can be and do pretty much anything you want--but with touted next-gen graphics. PvE is also available in the form of hunting mobs for loot and treasure. Supposedly, there will also be a robust crafting system. Not sure about the questing system.

http://www.mortalonline.com/features

Sadly, I never played UO, but I have grown tired of theme-park MMOs, and am looking for something different. I think a true sandbox game might be fun for a change. From everything I have heard MO sounds much like the early 'classic' version of UO. What do you guys think? Anyone have any inside info?

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I'm not sure upon first glance, but it looks pretty good.

The fact it's built on Unreal Technology is also a good thing.

Summer 2009, eh.:o

Looks like I found something to try that's like UO.

Himmelweiss

Himmelweiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
you may also want to check out Darkfall Online

tnynyn

tnynyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Heard it will have HOUSES!!!

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
wow, looks awesome.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Lots of games promise lots of features, but most fail to deliver.

They promise a lot, though if they only deliver half of it it might be interesting.

Still don't think it has a lot that could not be done with uo?

Repowski

Repowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'll agree with the above poster. Its difficult to know what's real, and whats empty promises, but the graphics do indeed look amazing.

If I could "upgrade" UO to a more intense graphical experience like this, with a RP realistic ruleset (original Felucca), and Ultima storyline... I would be in heaven.

Lord Target

Lord Target

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

If I could "upgrade" UO to a more intense graphical experience like this, with a RP realistic ruleset (original Felucca), and Ultima storyline... I would be in heaven.

This is why UXO getting cancelled was a huge disappointment to me. I would have gladly hopped on-board for the game and it's continuation of the Ultima storyline.

Here's the Wikipedia page on UXO.

It says EA cancelled it after they closed Origin Systems (OSI).

Whose decision at EA it was to cancel UXO, I'm not certain (nor do I know why), but I would speculate that it would have won over many more people than WoW...in fact, many folks I know that play WoW only went to it because UXO suffered an axe to the face and was killed instantly.:(

They had gotten so uplifted by everything UXO had to offer, and their hopes were certainly high after UO:2 got cancelled...they saw a bright future, a huge potential...and then to see it ended suddenly....well...many simply couldn't take it, and moved on to other games/series entirely.

Come on, there were multiple races planned and they had it all done and implemented before the game was cancelled. Now, how long did it take for us to have just one new race implemented? I rest my case.:-/

UXO stratics now serves as a ghost-yard for what might have been, and now I'm seeing UXO-inspired ideas leeching back into UO...why?

Honestly, why didn't EA simply use the UXO client instead of building a new one for Kingdom Reborn?

If I begin to eyeball a game such as Mortal Online or Darkfall Online, I may very well go that direction if I find the whole experience in it's entirety to be like UO used to be...furthermore...a sense of massive in-game communities and a 'living world' where you find HUNDREDS of people at any given time in any town, would win me over automatically.

UO would end right there for me, because I feel the community and living world and economy makes up a good 80% of an MMORPG. The other 20% is gameplay.

These days, how many do you truly find in any town in britannia at any given time?

Because UO, too, had those massive amounts of people and a thriving in-game economy, until that was neglected in lieu of systems and items.

The growing trend is, everything I do now is associated with getting better items so my characters don't suck, making items, or going to events and competing for items. What the heck?:?

I don't want any more items, but we're already on that train, and it's not slowing down anytime soon. The current devs we've got that give us less super-weapons, crazy-colors, and the like...well...they've got the right idea...but the damage done by AoS cannot be undone.

PvM and PvP have become IvP and IvM (Item versus player, item versus monster), and the gap between people that have high end versus low-end is huge.

This is not an 'Invulnerability armor and vanquishing weapons' versus 'GM-made armor and GM-made weapons' issue, because that was a balanced way to keep it under control. This is 'flintlock rifle versus missile launcher' type stuff. The caps had to be adjusted because (I believe a dev commented on this) they did not believe it that easy or possible to attain such power (through items/artifacts) and it had to be adjusted.

Never before did we have changes done on that large of a scale, it only happened when everybody became potential mini-Gods when suited with the proper armor and jewelry.

If those games offer something that isn't an item-based ['why is building my suit of armor requiring a spreadsheet, a calculator, and the normal GM-made armor I make without runics so incredibly crappy that I am forced to repeat this cycle over and over'] fest of confusion, then yes, you'll find me there...though I'm sure my computer would explode at the mere consideration of running anything with z-shaders.

So yeah, that's my take on it.

EDIT: looks like the 'unannounced ultima online project' the team that was working on UXO went to might have been Samurai Empire....ugh

Repowski

Repowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Target I'm 100% with you. I think there's a major problem in the game today, and that is simply the reliance on items. Community is much less important, and players grow more individualistic by the day.

I'm at a point where I think we need to send out a call to all who still care about community, and ask that they all migrate to one shard in an attempt to rekindle some of the past.

I offer Lake Superior as this new world for community minded immigration.

We'll pick a town, (say Skara or Glow) and spend our time there, or launching player run events from there.

And the more I talk about it... the more I like the idea. I'll have to take a few minutes and actually make a whole write up on this idea.

Maybe it'll grow some legs.

Lord Target

Lord Target

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Ah...my ping to LS is pretty good. If only character transfer were free....

This is another issue...the sale of items and services for a game that cost nothing to perform or make, capitalizing off of the mired state of the game's economy. How many support staff does it take to generate a token? None.

I know many won't like this, but a ToT dye is really not a big deal to give out again in another round of ToT, even if it's a bright color...remember...even you collectors will run out of charges eventually, unless you're fortunate to have two sets.

Wait, now...I checked uogamecodes...it appears you can get exclusive release gifts through buying a token...whoo... EA shafted me out of my hooded shroud code, and never sent it to me even though it was claimed to come with the stupid box.

What's the deal there, guys? Please, don't make me buy it.:-/

And the japan uo codes store was giving the ToT dyes away.

So, what's all the debate about bringing/not bringing stuff back? Obviously, we can only consider rares that haven't been traded/duped true rares, because everything else comes back somehow and manages to infuriate someone.

Good (not godlike) items should be so impossibly easy to get that nobody has a want for them, and the best ones should not be insurable, IMO. Use it, possibly lose it, or use it as deco. The end.

What's the harm in re-releasing a dye, for example?

...Unless, of course...you gave it away to people that blew lots of money on your store....

Then it would infuriate them, thus, everyone else gets left out.

The in-game economy has crumbled, but many fail to realize it. Gold used to be worth $200 a million.

EDIT: It's currently 133 times less (1.50/mil) than it used to be worth. What an utter joke for a new player attempting to start up, how's his 1000 gp going to buy anything?

I remember when they gave us 100gp to start, and 100k in-game was being rich. Most of us would be shocked to see more than 50k when someone said 'balance'.

With armor running the prices it does to actually fight anything worth fighting, who wants to work a game as if it were a job to attain it, because only then can you fully utilize your character. This is the opposite of what UO ought to stand for, IMO.

TattooedLioness

TattooedLioness

Wiccan Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Mortal Online is a first-person MMORPG in a fantasy setting.

Mortal Online is a next generation PC MMORPG both in terms of graphics and gameplay. There are no PvP zones, only an open realistic world where you are free to choose your own path. Experience true real-time combat where you decide every move your character makes and where your personal skill really matters.

Build your own house, or set up a guild to build a keep. With enough power, violence or diplomacy, you and your allies will be able to rule an entire nation.

Choose from many different races and professions. You decide your own style of playing and whether to focus on PvP or PvE, both sharing the same game world. Devote your life to crafting, combat, magic or trading. Discover new skills, tools and resources. Or be the first to explore new areas to put your name on the map.

Thats what I read..Now when they say First Person Are they meaning like those first person shooter games? ugh i do hope not I like to see my char..I will try the game when its launched But If its First person Like what Im thinking its sayiong then i doubt Ill play it .. i cant stand seeing throw they eyes of ym player it makes me Dizzy LOL...

Posted Image

Posted Image

bhuma

bhuma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I agree about first person view. Dont like it at all.
From what I understand FPV will be forced for hand to hand combat, but third person view will be available for mounted combat, and I imagine for just running around in the game exploring. A lot of ppl like FPV because they feel it is more immersive. But I find it claustraphobic, because you have zero peripheral vision.

TattooedLioness

TattooedLioness

Wiccan Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I agree about first person view. Dont like it at all.
From what I understand FPV will be forced for hand to hand combat, but third person view will be available for mounted combat, and I imagine for just running around in the game exploring. A lot of ppl like FPV because they feel it is more immersive. But I find it claustraphobic, because you have zero peripheral vision.

Well that would be cool if its third person during most play I think I could handle that " I THINK HEHEHEHE" But I have to agree with you on the FPV it is very annoying to me and makes me feel like im on a ride I cant get off LOL... I spend most my time in those types of games DYING alot and trying to see around me so For those that come up on me and kill me first get to view my looking like a doggy trying to chase its tail Spinning round and round trying to see "

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, mortal, online, similar, uo