Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

animal taming question

- - - - - animal question taming

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

xApCx

xApCx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Would somone explain the maximum skills of a Greater Dragon please? What I mean, is there a certain percentage of its Birth skills that it will only be able to train to after tamed?
example:
Dragon is born with 140 wrestle, but after tamed and fully trained it can only gain 90% of its original skills. So, now after traned, it is only a 126

youmademeregister

youmademeregister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
you answered your own question, heh. its post-tame skill caps are 90% of its pre-tame skills. they can spawn with up to 145 wrestling and 140 tactics, resist, and magery.
gellin. :hat47:

xApCx

xApCx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
haha, if i did... it was just luck!!! thanks for the response

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Also if you're looking at a completely untrained tamed dragon that someone is selling A. The anatomy will be 0 or very very low if its completely untrained.

To figure out the skills it will have once fully trained if you don't know the pretamed skill numbers, divide the post tame skill value by .73, this should give you roughly the pretamed value, then multiply it by .9.

:) The value may not be exact, but this should give you a rough estimate of where the dragon will go.

Edit - to have ~120+ in a skill the post tamed, non trained skill level should be roughly 97.3 and pretamed the lowest value is about 133.3

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
And, they won't gain in magery post tame if it is over 100.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

And, they won't gain in magery post tame if it is over 100.

I have not found this to be true. Mine was 118-119ish post tame, and trained up to 121.2. Seems to have maxed there.

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I have not found this to be true. Mine was 118-119ish post tame, and trained up to 121.2. Seems to have maxed there.

I can only speak for the one pet I've trained, and it didn't gain but .1

Everything I have read seems to say that as well, but I only know from my one training experience.

edit - BUT, now that I think about it, I remember reading something in the patch notes for 52 that it will lose to 90% and be trainable back...[runs off to test on a new dragon]

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I can only speak for the one pet I've trained, and it didn't gain but .1

Everything I have read seems to say that as well, but I only know from my one training experience.

edit - BUT, now that I think about it, I remember reading something in the patch notes for 52 that it will lose to 90% and be trainable back...[runs off to test on a new dragon]

Trained back to what? 90%? or max?

Usually GD's only lose 10% of their magery and with all of the ones I have trained, they never gain in magery.

Did you tame the dragon or buy it? Also, has it died at all? I have never seen a dragons magery train, even if it dropped to 105 which one of mine had.

I heard magery can be a pain to raise, but after letting my GD play in the lich room in lvl 5 cove, I can't see how it wouldn't have gotten a gain.

Edit: Also, in my opinion, magery is one of the least important skills for a GD.

youmademeregister

youmademeregister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Usually GD's only lose 10% of their magery and with all of the ones I have trained, they never gain in magery.

Edit: Also, in my opinion, magery is one of the least important skills for a GD.

seconded.
gellin. :hat47:

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Did you tame the dragon or buy it? Also, has it died at all? I have never seen a dragons magery train, even if it dropped to 105 which one of mine had.

I heard magery can be a pain to raise, but after letting my GD play in the lich room in lvl 5 cove, I can't see how it wouldn't have gotten a gain.

I tamed it myself, and it trained up.

And yes it can raise be raised back up after lowering but raises slow enough that most people lose patience and get a new one.

I lost 4 full points (down to 116) fighting zerkers in glow and trained it back up to 121. It took forever and was very painful.

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I tamed it myself, and it trained up.

And yes it can raise be raised back up after lowering but raises slow enough that most people lose patience and get a new one.

I lost 4 full points (down to 116) fighting zerkers in glow and trained it back up to 121. It took forever and was very painful.

Seems silly to get a new dragon just because the magery on the one you have dropped a couple decimals. I mean, even if mine dropped 5 full points, I wouldn't get another.

Magery is such a minor importance. Most spells damages are based off of eval int, except for a few, which are magery based, but GD's don't use them. Also, GD's don't cast lvl 8 spells, and I have never seen my dragon fizzle a flame strike. lol

High Magery isn't even important in pvp because breaking through peoples resist magic skill is based on your eval int skill once again, and not your magery.

Thus, magery is useless. Its only nice to have 120+ for show, but it doesn't make your dragon anymore potent than a 110 skill level dragon. Maybe it increases the amount of spells that they cast or something, but I haven't noticed a difference between my 107 magery skilled dragon and my 117 one. Actually, the 107 magery one has a bit more int and loves to FS/FS/EB a lot. lol

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Seems silly to get a new dragon just because the magery on the one you have dropped a couple decimals.

I kept it, I get quite attached. :)

Thus, magery is useless. Its only nice to have 120+ for show, but it doesn't make your dragon anymore potent than a 110 skill level dragon.

I dont agree that its useless.

When my dragon dropped to 116 it was difficult to keep alive in certain places where it would take heavy fast damage. At 120 and up I notice that it casts heal much more than it did at 116 (and sooner). So at 120 it is much easier to keep alive because it helps heal itself. In some circumstances, I don't even need to worry much about healing it.

Ash

Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

When my dragon dropped to 116 it was difficult to keep alive in certain places where it would take heavy fast damage. At 120 and up I notice that it casts heal much more than it did at 116 (and sooner). So at 120 it is much easier to keep alive because it helps heal itself. In some circumstances, I don't even need to worry much about healing it.

Well, haven't noticed my new dragon with 125 magery casting heal any more than my old one with 115, but since heal and cure are based on magery skill higher magery improves chance to cure itself and increases the hit points restored when healing.

Though i agree with most that it is the last thing I am concerned with when it comes to picking a dragon, but am glad found me nice one that had it as an extra.

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I disagree here. I have never had that issue, at all, with my 107 magery dragon and my 117 magery dragon. Pretty sure frequency of heals aren't based on magery. Could be wrong, but I have trained many dragons, and they seem to just heal whenever they feel like it.

Well, haven't noticed my new dragon with 125 magery casting heal any more than my old one with 115, but since heal and cure are based on magery skill higher magery improves chance to cure itself and increases the hit points restored when healing.

Though i agree with most that it is the last thing I am concerned with when it comes to picking a dragon, but am glad found me nice one that had it as an extra.

The difference in amount healed is very little between 100 and 120, and also I have never seen my dragon fail curing itself even when fighting 135 skill level rune beetles. They cast mass cure, which has a very superior chance of curing than regular cure.

Still believe its the least useful skill for dragons. *shrug+

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Magery is far less important than wrestling, in my experience with peerless monsters.

Wrestling is somewhat less important than Resists.

Hit points can balance lower resists. My 963 hp dragon with 68% physical does alright against peerless monsters, but he does heal himself frequently and I'm right beside him.

Frankly, I'd love to see a monster that could cast level 8 spells. Can you imagine the fun of a GD summoning his own demon pal? Or casting EVs? Nifty.

~M

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hell, he doesn't have to summon. I'd love for him to res me or cast earthquake :)

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hell, he doesn't have to summon. I'd love for him to res me or cast earthquake :)

Ressing us would be nice, especially since pet commands are still borked. :/ I told me GD to attack a different target like 9 times last night and she wouldn't switch. It was really annoying, especially when you're up against a couple dragons and a greater dragon. I tell her to kill of the dragons and she doesn't listen, just goes for the greater dragon...

I'm the tactician! She needs to listen to me. :-/

Rama21

Rama21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Ressing us would be nice, especially since pet commands are still borked. :/ I told me GD to attack a different target like 9 times last night and she wouldn't switch. It was really annoying, especially when you're up against a couple dragons and a greater dragon. I tell her to kill of the dragons and she doesn't listen, just goes for the greater dragon...

I'm the tactician! She needs to listen to me. :-/

Try telling her to stop then give her the new target. It seems like with the new commands they keep doing one thing untill they are told to "stop" and then given a new command.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rama, Rammi, Rammin, Rammas, Ramski, Ramage

"All is nothing in moderation."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animal, question, taming