Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Big Changes to Lockpicking

- - - - - big lockpicking

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
One of my guildmates, Timberwolf, took it upon himself to build a lockpicker post publish 39. The results were quite suprising. You can now get to 95 lockpicking using less than 100 boxes and only a day (or 2 depending on how much time you have in game). Here is an excerpt from the original post :

After some digging, I've found that yes, the "Anti-Macro" code is gone for
all skills that were 8x8-able.

For you see, 8x8 basically was THE anti-macro code. With it now gone from
those skills it effected, the way those skills gain are now based on the RNG
(Random Number Generator).

Everytime you work a skill, the RNG tosses around random numbers until it
gives you a gain, randomly.

So what does this mean for Lockpicking Houses? Simply put, Lockpicking
houses are getting a hit.

You no longer need to have Hundreds of Boxes. At this time
You can now get away with have 20 Boxes of each Skill Type, as TimberWolf
points out in his Test in this thread. After you get to 95.0 In lockpicking,
you will need to go out and gain your skills the same way it has always been,
plus a new way with the new-found Satyr's.

Satyr's explained in these threads/posts:
http://boards.strati...&Number=6483817
http://boards.strati...&Number=6427037
http://boards.strati...&Number=6483830

Once you have reached 95.0 Lockpicking, you will no longer be able to gain
from the GM boxes. Some people believe that it does help to run through them
a few times, even though you will not raise from them. Whether you do this
onot is up to you. The only other way, besided Satyrs, to raise now is to hit
the dungeon chests and the harder statics in towns and dungeons.

If you have easy access to GM Locked Boxes, you can safely feel free to toss
them out and free up some space. However, in case this changes in the
future, you may want to hold onto your Boxes of lesser skill levels, and
those can be a pain to aquire. There has been no official statement stating
that some sort of reworking with Lockpicking will be done.

We can deffinately see that something needs to be done, as GMing it in about
16 hours total from 0 is just plain silly.

A Warning: toss out your hundreds of boxes at your own risk.
We know not what the future holds, we only know that hundreds of boxes
are not needed, at this time.

The entire post can be read here: http://boards.strati...sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Posted Image

Talon

Talon

Offical Cookie Taster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I wonder what other skills have changed like that?
Posted Image

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Jeez and to think it took me 7 months to GM on GL, then 3 on Catskills....
There are no stupid questions......only stupid people!

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Yeah lockpicking was hell back in the day.
On another note I have been "trying" to get to 120 magery from 110. It is so slow I am thinking I am broken. Seriously.

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Yea, it took me forever just to get to 95 lockpicking and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many tinkered boxes I used. I borrowed a collection of boxes from a guildmate and I would hit 2 different lockpick houses for gains. Because I heard how painful it was gonna be to GM, I just used my +5 AOS reward to GM. I guess it's good they finally made some skills easier to gain in, but they really went from one end of the spectrum to the other with lockpicking.
Posted Image

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I used to ride around on my Beetle full of boxes and use a macro to pick/relock the boxes. That way you could macro your lockpicking while working melee or magery fighting critters. It was slow but wasn't as boring!

May ot need to do that anymore....or until another Pub changes it again.....

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Went to 95.0 pretty quick, now running around picking EVERYTHING in sight, and it looks like GGS system for teh win.

Lady Shiela

Lady Shiela

Darksaber's Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Wow...

Gotzhaus

Gotzhaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Took me forever to get mine set *sigh*

Posted Image

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Can I ask... is it really worth the repeated deaths to get satyr discorded for gains?

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Bassanio

Bassanio

Devourer of Soul Food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes.. it is worth it.. The way to get the Satyr is to lure it to the shimmering gate. Then just keep attacking him until he finally disco's you. After that, exit the gate. When you re-enter the area it will not be agro'd to you. You will still be disco'd because you will not have broken line of sight for very long going in and out the gate.

This area is also good because the named spiders that hang out on the other side of the rocks near the gate will agro the satyr. That means the satyr will go to the rocks and just stay there. So, just park right next to him and run through your 20 boxes for 2 hours, BAM GM lockpicking.

This also works with Cartography. It will take you about the same amount of time to gain, but you'll use 5x less scrolls. You can also gain to GM Cartography instead of having to decode t-maps for the last .5

Discord itself is also easier now that there is no anti-macro code. You can sit in your house and discord the same creature over and over (hide inbetween) I have gone from 30-93 discord in three days.

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
I am working discord...
How are you discording the same creature? What creature?
I ask because Discord is difficulty based.

Posted Image

Bassanio

Bassanio

Devourer of Soul Food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I meant the same creature within your difficulty catagory. It is easy for me because I'm doing it on my tamer. I started by taming some grizzly bears. Ran through them, then tamed some frenzied ostards and did those. From there I grabbed my fire stead and disco'd him over and over. Then switched to my Cu Sidsomething dog. That's what I'm on now. After him, I have my trained nightmare, rune beatle, and a white wyrm to take me all the way up.

If you don't have a tamer, you can probably get a tamer to set something up, say in a stable for you to discord over and over. just make sure it doesn't have a ranged attack.

P.S. forgot to mention that you have to be guilded to discord your own pets. Just tell them to guard you so they turn green (vs. blue)

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
This reminds me soooooo much of the old faction stat bug, same deal, went into temp stat loss, worked up your skills and then you were GM+ after it ended.

Was warned that it was bannable. No clue what the devs have said about this yet though.
There are no stupid questions......only stupid people!

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
That's what I heard, hmmmm, wonder if I should use that to train skills before an official word comes out.

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Wow, glad you guys said something. I'll wait for an official word too.
Posted Image

Bassanio

Bassanio

Devourer of Soul Food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually, wouldn't you WANT to train using this method before they 'officially' deem it an exploit? For now, it has been posted on the official UO fan site and no Devs have said a whisper.

Remember, the people that made stat loss training bannable are not the powers that be now. If they allowed 8x8 training for all these years, I don't see how they can kick people for using a satyr.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
True, but, I can see myself being the first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big, lockpicking