Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

PvM Mage gear

- - - - - gear mage pvm

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
B4 i quit 3 years ago i gave my magesuit to a friend of mine (nowhere to be found these days tho :tard:), it was a nice suit with 100% lrc, some lmc, mr and good resists.

Now i am trying to put together a new magesuit.

What r typical/must equipments for a necromage? I see that scrappers compendiums and the pendants are quit popular, but what else? And is arcane shield worth it? Or will the shield of invul do just fine?

I see no PvM forum here so sorry that i have to spam the general discussion with PvM questions:o.

Does anyone sell a full magesuit with nice resists or musthave stuff for mages like the scrappers?

thx in advance.

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
I am in no way the ultimate necro/mage, but one thing I love about the combo is the wraithform. With wraithform, you leech back mana from the monsters you inflict damage on, so it helps a ton with building your suit (ie not as much MR needed, although the more MR you have, of course, the better). I went through an entire champ spawn last night and never came close to running out of mana, and never meditated.

One thing to consider, while building your suit, is the availability of Arcane Clothing. If you can't get to 100% lrc on your suit right away, add in arcane boots or robe to make up the difference. If you fail the lrc check, one charge comes off your arcane clothing. I keep a closet full of arcane clothing with 24 charges each, and swap them out when they run dry. They are rechargeable, if you so desire, also, using an arcane gem, though if you find a good vendor, the arcane clothing can be had for very little gold.

Many will swear by items such as the Ornament of the Magician and such, but be prepared to pay through the nose for them.

Good luck in your adventures, and welcome back!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Thx for the info.

And what r the caps again?

LMC = 40%
SDI = ?
MR = no cap?
FC/FCR = 2/6?

And i have an ornament, what other items should i aim for? Should i get pendant of the magi? And the tome of lost knowlegde and scrappers r quit useless if i wanna camp bloods/demons right? I mean a slayer spellbook would do much better?

And how important is DCI? I've seen several mages running around with high DCI, they must be PvPers?

edit: Wraith form also leeches mana from spelldamage?...

Arioch

Arioch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
UOGuide.com lists the limits as follows:

Spell Damage Increase: no limit in PvE, 15% in PvP.

Mana Regeneration: 18 from items

Faster Casting: based on your template, it is capped at 2 for Mages and Necros, and 4 for Bushido, Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, and Chivalry. If your template has Bush and magery, it is capped at 4 until your magery surpasses 70, at which time it caps at 2.

Faster Casting Recovery: Capped at 6

I used to have a link to a page that showed all of the caps, but cannot find it... if someone has it, could they please post it for us? Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord L'arr Hamerfeld

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I believe the SDI cap on players with items is different than the monster SDI cap (at one point it wasn't limited, I can't confirm this now).

I can't confirm the specific level of the monster cap or even what the possible amount of SDI would be, just figure your maximum will be through items, and once you can't get any more SDI in your hat, ring, and bracelet slots, along with a spellbook, that's pretty much it.

4 slots to work with on the SDI spectrum, then.

I know the cap for PvP isn't affected by the player's natural damage increase by spells, which is determined by natural intelligence (not item-modified) and Evaluating Intelligence.

Monster damage through SDI may very well still be un-capped....so you should be able to get around 70% or so SDI.

The MR cap, I'm not certain. Though you don't need much MR on a necro-mage, as was previously stated, also, LMC will help you much more.

I hope that helps somewhat!

Lord Target

Lord Target

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

And i have an ornament, what other items should i aim for?

You can build a nice suit easy with that thing. You'll need a Totem of the Void.

Should i get pendant of the magi?

Not really needed with the Ornament, unless you want to replace your resists with MR and more LRC.
The AoF (Armor of Fortune) has a lot of potential in your suit, moreso than the pendant.

And the tome of lost knowlegde and scrappers r quit useless if i wanna camp bloods/demons right? I mean a slayer spellbook would do much better?

Bloods and demons are easy pickings these days, unless you speak of their paragon counterparts. SDI will obliterate anything you point a spell at. You likely won't need a slayer, but it chalks up to personal preference and how much LMC/LRC/SDI is on your other equipment.

And how important is DCI? I've seen several mages running around with high DCI, they must be PvPers?

Useful for PvP, and tank/wrestle-mages primarily.

I use a SC HCI/DCI shield because it helps a lot when I have to beat stuff up with my mace. DCI will make things wiff quite a bit when you have lots of it, and is useful both against high-end mobs and other people.

edit: Wraith form also leeches mana from spelldamage?...

Yes, not as much as it used to, but enough that a certain percentage of the damage is taken and then another percentage is returned as mana...weird calculation I can't really follow, but the end result is getting your mana back.

The Honor virtue is another good way to do this for a PvM character.

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

You can build a nice suit easy with that thing. You'll need a Totem of the Void.
Not really needed with the Ornament, unless you want to replace your resists with MR and more LRC.
The AoF (Armor of Fortune) has a lot of potential in your suit, moreso than the pendant.
Bloods and demons are easy pickings these days, unless you speak of their paragon counterparts. SDI will obliterate anything you point a spell at. You likely won't need a slayer, but it chalks up to personal preference and how much LMC/LRC/SDI is on your other equipment.
Useful for PvP, and tank/wrestle-mages primarily.

I use a SC HCI/DCI shield because it helps a lot when I have to beat stuff up with my mace. DCI will make things wiff quite a bit when you have lots of it, and is useful both against high-end mobs and other people.
Yes, not as much as it used to, but enough that a certain percentage of the damage is taken and then another percentage is returned as mana...weird calculation I can't really follow, but the end result is getting your mana back.

The Honor virtue is another good way to do this for a PvM character.

Why does the AoF have more potential than the pendant? I mean AoF only gives 10% LRC more and little resists while the pendant has 10 LMC, MR 3 and 5% SDI.

And i think i made a big mistake by buying the RBC, at first i found it a very nice item, but now i see this item u mentioned; Totem of the void...

Totem + RBC + Orny + Pendant = 45% lmc is a bit overkill. Now normally this 5% wouldnt matter to me but now i am really having problems trying to get my resist to a decent lvl (all 60).

My current gear:

head: hat of magi
neck: pendant
chest: RBC
sleeves: none
legs: none
gloves: none
ring: none
brace: orny
shield: Thinking of getting shield of invul. But i prefer a SC shield with good resists if there are any.

current stats:
- 5/8/23/23/49
- 50% lrc
- 10 MR (this is enough i think)
- 35% (capped 40% with totem)
- SDI 15%
- 2/3 FC/FCR

Where do i go from here? Should i get rid of the RBC and get playermade stuff?
Id like to have a full 100% lrc suit with 40% lmc, decent mr and around 60 in all resists. Is SDI important? Or is it just a nice extra?
All id like to do is PvM solo.

And isnt lichform better than wraith form?

thx in advance

edit: come to think of it, are there any totems with resists?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
There are no totems with resists, so far as I know.

There are a couple of good shields to look for. One is the shield of invulnerability. It's cheap, it has a little bit of physical resist. It has DCI. If you like getting down and dirty with monsters, it's a nice one to have. I use the arcane shield. It has fast cast, which puts me at 3/5 FC/FCR (With my scrappers, I have 4/6... spellweaving is capped at 4 FC, but that's for another topic entirely). Also, the Vesper chaos shield has 1/2 FC/FCR. The good thing about that is that with the orny (2/3), you would only need to find one FCR point on your ring to max out your FC/FCR. The arcane shield wouldn't serve you well since you don't need FC any more, leaving the invuln shield or a shield with a few elemental resists, which aren't that hard to find.

If I were you I'd keep the RBC. I like having extra mana regeneration.

The form you use depends a lot on what you hunt. If you're hunting in Doom, you could flame strike the Dark Father all day long and never run out of mana, so long as you use wraith form. I've noticed a lot more people hunt peerless in lich form than wraith form, but I've never been a fan of lich form myself, so I couldn't tell you why it would be better for peerless.

For the rest of your pieces, assuming you have the gold, I would go with high resist player made pieces to fill out what you still need in a suit, specifically LRC and stat increases.

The suit that I put together is: Kasa of raj-in, RBC, pendant of the magi, totem of the void and the rest is runic with LRC, LMC, MR or DCI. But I like doing champs. Doing champ spawns without DCI is murder. Literally.

Or... You could replace the RBC with the AoF then pay out the nose just for very high resist items with a little bit of LRC.

Or... You could just to runic on the whole thing and tailor your armor to what you think your needs are.

Or... Yeah, I think the possibilities are endless. Just leave your spellbook slot open for whatever you need to have in your hand at the time. Personally, I have a full set of super slayers and a scrappers on me at all times. I kind of need the scrappers since it has 16% LRC, which puts me over 100% LRC if I use my high resist kasa instead of my 20% LRC hat, which I only wear now when I'm hunting things I need a slayer book for.

And it's things like that that make me miss the old days when people would just throw on some GM leather armor and go out killing. But then I kill an arctic ogre lord with 3 flame strikes and have mana left over and forget all about the old days, when killing the arctic ogre lords would take about a minute each and leave me drained of mana.

tjalle

tjalle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On my mage I use Stitcher´s Mittens as gloves. Good LRC item with decent resists...

Healing +10
Dexterity Bonus 5
Lower Reagent Cost 30%
Physical Resist 20%
Fire Resist 3%
Cold Resist 20%
Poison Resist 4%
Energy Resist 4%
Strength Requirement 10

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
I am still struggling with the resists. I think i will get rid of the RBC.

If i had to choose between resists, which one has the highest priority in PvM? I assume phys and fire are the most important? And cold the least?

edit: I've decided to use the RBC, and i manage to collect together some nice resists for the other parts.

Now my next question is (sorry for all the questions:o):"What is a good mage totem? I dont need totem of the void anymore."

thx in advance!

Lord Target

Lord Target

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

On my mage I use Stitcher´s Mittens as gloves. Good LRC item with decent resists...

Healing +10
Dexterity Bonus 5
Lower Reagent Cost 30%
Physical Resist 20%
Fire Resist 3%
Cold Resist 20%
Poison Resist 4%
Energy Resist 4%
Strength Requirement 10

Hmm, I forget, but aren't stitchers Elves Only? I haven't seen a pair in a little while, and can't recall.

as far as a specific talisman other than the totem of the void, I'm unsure, but you could use a slayer talisman or a protection talisman specific to whatever you're going to be fighting (for example, a lich lord protection [insert percentage] talisman with Mage Slayer property for hunting lich lords. You'll find talismans such as these as loot often in the new Mondain's Legacy dungeons, tho not necessarily in that combination.

I wonder if there's a breakdown somewhere as to what sorts of talisman properties would be even possible to spawn, and if so, could someone kindly post it, please?

Don't go buying a lesser quality one unless you're needing it immediately, because I saw a mage slayer (plain vanilla) talisman for sale for 1M. I found this to be far overpriced after finding a couple on monsters that had additional properties as well.

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Hmm, I forget, but aren't stitchers Elves Only? I haven't seen a pair in a little while, and can't recall.

as far as a specific talisman other than the totem of the void, I'm unsure, but you could use a slayer talisman or a protection talisman specific to whatever you're going to be fighting (for example, a lich lord protection [insert percentage] talisman with Mage Slayer property for hunting lich lords. You'll find talismans such as these as loot often in the new Mondain's Legacy dungeons, tho not necessarily in that combination.

I wonder if there's a breakdown somewhere as to what sorts of talisman properties would be even possible to spawn, and if so, could someone kindly post it, please?

Don't go buying a lesser quality one unless you're needing it immediately, because I saw a mage slayer (plain vanilla) talisman for sale for 1M. I found this to be far overpriced after finding a couple on monsters that had additional properties as well.

Does the mageslayer stack with undeadslayer spellbook when i fight liches?

And another thing. I like the magery spell "protection" a lot. My spells never fizzle anymore. The drawback is of course the -2 FC. Now what if i have 4/6, will my FC/FCR be 2/6 for mageryspells or 0/6?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
For your FC, under protection it reduces your FC CAP by two, so you would have 0/6.

Lord Target

Lord Target

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Well, to be honest, I don't think [the mage slayer talisman] even effects spell damage, hence why I'm trying to find a break-down.

I'm a little lost on some of the ML stuff, and since I use most of my talismans on a mace-mage (except the totem, which is the only one my necro uses for the +2 HPR in lich form), I mostly pummel things toe-to-toe (whilst casting on them) and I can confirm the talisman attributes to the extra physical damage.

Anyhow, protection will cap you at 0/6 regardless or what extra FC you have (I tested and confirmed this), whether you have 4/6 or not. Elsewise it'd be far too easy to be a mage and not die...ever.

Protection, however, also incurs a penalty against your magic resist skill (slices it in half) and a negative penalty to your physical resist as well.

Best of luck with your necro, though I'd recommend a mage weapon set-up to give you the semblance of a weapon skill (since a mage weapon uses your magery to act as a weaponskill) and also allow you to utilize your talismans to their fullest extent.

They're fun characters to play whichever way you look at it, and invaluable at champ spawns, peerlesses, or any event or place that requires you kill something with spells.

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Been playing UO for a long time now (1,5 active years during a period of 5 years), and i've always hunted bloods and dragons. Sometimes i go to Doom just for fun.

Never tried Champs b4 and havent got ML expansion yet for peerlesses. So uh... how r the champ runs? Is it fun? Am thinking about joining a guild, going to discover the group PvM side of UO.
And i tried to find a guild on Europa shard, butta... its so empty, its hard to get a banksitter out of his AFKmode to ask him some questions.

It Lives

It Lives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Talismans dont stack with mage spells. Talismans work for mele attacks. would be nice though.
My mage runs with hom, orni and pendant, expensive yes but was worth the effort to aquire. My ring was a gift from a friend with 5lmc 19 lrc 11sdi 3 fcr. rounded out with arcain sheild. I can survive in some very adverse game play. My armor is player made armor with lmc/lrc is nice but still under 70's in resists . Spell book is determined by what you are killing. I also use the Quiver of infinity for the 5 dci and the robe of equinox? for the 95 luck.

Legolaser

Legolaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
I dont wanna be rude but, how much for ur ring?

It Lives

It Lives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry Lego :P I do really want to keep it...:)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Runebeetle Carapace is a must. If you're burning though mana at the ferocious rate required during peerless hunts, for example, you want to have max MR.

I can't speak for all peerless hunters, but I find Lich form is a fan-tabulous way to boost your MR. I'm not entirely certain, but it appears the various forms let you exceed the property caps. I'm around 29 MR in lich form with my suit. With a wisp familiar, I only rarely run out of mana - even when spamming Nyraxle.

~M

Limlight

Limlight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
To the question about the AOF and why its better then the Pendant if you are choosing.

1. If you are PVM...the Luck is a bonus and obviously 15+ resist is better then none.

2. If you PvP...its a huge difference...as the AOF has 15 DCI...combine that with the Arcane shield and a Quiver and you have an easy 35% DCI...

Now throw in a ring or brace with FCR 3 and DCI 10+ and you have your 2/6 (assuming your using the scrappers and a opposite jewelry piece with 2 FCR)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gear, mage, pvm