Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Any talk of combining shards?

- - - - - combining shards talk

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I have heard no serious talk about combining shards, unless you count what other players randomly say as "serious."

Ultima Online is a ten year-old MMO property..... and is still wildly profitable - Temporary Stratics Forums

That thread is instructive about the reality of UO's condition, which is actually not bad. Why people keep insisting it is bewilders me.

-Galen's player

FrejaSP

FrejaSP

Lonely Vampire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Lets do it right

Combining shards may be needed but if we do start moving players, then lets one step more.

Give players a way to transfer to a new shard, with their house as a deed containing items in house.

Keep oldest shards , make some of them normal shards (no Felucca ruleset on any facets) and some PvP shards with Felucca ruleset on all facets.

Siege should be one of the PvP shards.

Now all will get a month to move to their shard of choice.

The accounts who had not moved after a month will be packed and stored on a server and first time a player login, he will get a message, that he can't play before he had choosen a shard.

Freja.jpg

Tina Tink
Freja, Guildmaster of The Dark Outlaws, TDO, Living in the player town Safe Haven Siege
Come join us on Siege, we need new blood chase.gif Also, on Siege, your red can go everywhere a blue can go.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
I am for combining shards.

The biggest strength UO has as a game are the interactions with other people.

"I don't want all my farming locations crowded." <-- then play a single player game.

Time to put the multi-player back into MMO.

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Not sure how I feel about it.... Larger populations would be good, but at the same time I don't know if EAM has the manpower for such merges. I mean, if something went wrong would EAM have the man power to fix it in a timely manner? In the age of MMO's even 3-4 hour down times can be very harmful, and expensive for the customer.

PoPwAr

PoPwAr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I find it hilarious that people would choose their pixels over a better game though. People are strangely attached to their pixels in this game. Wouldn't it be more fun to have alot more people to get to know and interact with? Make bigger and better communities. Give more life back to felucca. Have dungeons and hunting spots all over the world more lively.

I'd demolish my house for that in a second. Come on..

You hit it on the head there. Wishing for the old days where spawning was somthing you had to fight for tooth and nail against competing guilds. Faction wars, that actually felt something like war.

PoPwAr

PoPwAr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Would like to add also, when i say combining shards im talking about possibly giving options for the SMALL shards to join specific other SMALL to MID sized shards. And Pre-matching the moves according to shard playstyle and history. The way this works most effectively is over a period of time and only allow the transfer one way, :IE. Baja to Atlantic, but not vise versa. (As an example.)

AesSedai

AesSedai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
- The only true talk I've heard of combining shards in the past decade by the Dev team has been that we are all free to transfer characters to whatever shard we please.

Besides, why restrict the realm when there might need be some room for expansion down the line?

Some people like high population density. Some like low.
Maybe latency is a concern - well the more people and the lower the amount of shards (by way of combining shards), it would stand to reason there would be an overall increase in lag.
So give up the real estate if you want a higher population and perhaps sacrifice and have a higher ping.
But the option to goto a more populated shard has always been around & with character transfers you won't even lose your skills or possessions (aside from housing).

So, why talk of combining shards?

Unless you just want to save 20-120 bucks or the timely task of starting anew?

Consolidating shards sounds like a sure-fire way to lose some current subscribers, to me; no matter how it is hypothetically pulled off. That mean less UO income. This is not good because if UO doesn't make enough money EA pulls the plug to appease the stockholders who don't give a rats hiney how much potential future profits UO can still muster. So no, please do not consolidate shards. Rather, why not try to increase the playerbase and fill up what is there and make more. That's how to make more money and keep UO kicking, imo.

Himmelweiss

Himmelweiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Combining shards is impossibe because of player housing, i know i wouldn't want to loose my house + storage or it's location where it is placed.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I'd consider coming back if there were more people around..

I mean cmon.. Trammel cities are now also empty. Cities that were full of life are now DEAD. I dont get any feeling from that. UO was all about feeling, being a working world. That is lost with the people.. and now all hang at certain hotspots. Sure there were hotspots before as well but were still lots and lots running about.

Hell id even give away my current account and get me a new one.

Posted Image

Himmelweiss

Himmelweiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Well the Cities are empty because there are simply too many Cities, with trammel the Cities got doubled, Malas gives you 2 more, while 1 isn't really a Citie, T2A 2 more, Illshenar Gargoyle.

Players are just spreaded out along all the Cities, it's no surprise to me if all of them look empty now.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Well the Cities are empty because there are simply too many Cities, with trammel the Cities got doubled, Malas gives you 2 more, while 1 isn't really a Citie, T2A 2 more, Illshenar Gargoyle.

Players are just spreaded out along all the Cities, it's no surprise to me if all of them look empty now.

But there werent too many before.... Guess one could solve it with blowing some up :) *eyes Draconis*

Posted Image

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

The point of populated banks is more or less to say that the shard was packed at one point, and now you rarely see anyone. You cant tell me you never ever go to the bank.

i think chesapeake is an awesome shard, there are quite a few people around and I do have good relationships with a lot of them. Big or small, the game is what you make it. and all in all in the end it is still just that - a game.

I didn't say I never went to the bank. I simply said I don't park my hind end there for interaction.=) The banks on my shard, both wbb and luna, generally always have people at them. They may not be packed to overflowing, but about the only time there aren't people there is at server up.

FrejaSP

FrejaSP

Lonely Vampire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Combining shards is impossibe because of player housing, i know i wouldn't want to loose my house + storage or it's location where it is placed.

Can't be impossible to code a way to pack your whole house + storage in a deed, then transfer the char with house deed, bank and stable to other shard.

On new shard, just replace your house in a free spot. Sure you may not get to place in same place but as long you get to place in same ruleset, all should be ok.

Everything have a price

Freja.jpg

Tina Tink
Freja, Guildmaster of The Dark Outlaws, TDO, Living in the player town Safe Haven Siege
Come join us on Siege, we need new blood chase.gif Also, on Siege, your red can go everywhere a blue can go.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
*sighs*

A voice in the wilderness.

-Galen's player

Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
I hate to quote myself, but I see people still talking about losing their house/items/house location. *ahem*

I've made a suggestion several times to the devs that, if implimented, would be the most elegant solution.

Here it is again:

-5 clusters each of which will run on one physical server(s), one for each region (PAC MIDW ATL ASIA EU) with a couple hangers-on staying just as-is: AU, SP ruleset

-Shared dungeon server (includes t2a....no reason to not combine this for each cluster) ....This sub-server will be the only one actually merged.

-Moongates have a toggle to choose the shard before the destination.

Voila, no one loses item 1, or heaven forbid, their home. Players run into each a lot more for interaction, making cluster events very workable, and dungeons will be busy again.

GirlPower

GirlPower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

You hit it on the head there. Wishing for the old days where spawning was somthing you had to fight for tooth and nail against competing guilds. Faction wars, that actually felt something like war.

hehe during the true "old days" there were no spawns. I do like petes idea of the dungeons and such ! Not sure how that might effect the spawns now tho hmmm

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
I also would not like the thought of losing present homes. How do you compensate someone transferring to a more populated shard and there's no room for placing 5 grandfathered houses or a castle? We also have guildmates with homes all in proximity of each other. Combining shards may break up our community. Pickaxe Pete, your solution sounds so much better than musical chairs with our abodes.
Posted Image

Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Not sure how that might effect the spawns now tho hmmm

Spawns would be more contested for sure, but that's a good thing imo. Pvp is why people play in fel, so why not have more of it! Besides, more of the spawns would get used rather than just Despise. :)

I also agree with the above poster that there is no way it would work if we have to move homes. It can't work that way! My suggestion solves this, the only slight downside being even more duplication of the mainland areas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combining, shards, talk