Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Proficiency System?

- - - - - proficiency system

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
Ok, I think people are all a little confused by the pro's system and the way it really works.

Ok lets take a look at it in a streniously in depth look explained by Me :), many have called me the Pro's Pro, cause I do have a very good understanding of the system.

All caps without any pro's what so ever look as such:

Resists: 30%
Reflect Physical Dmg: 40%
Enhance Pots: 25%
HP Regen: 8
Mana Regen: 8
Stam Regen: 12
STR Bonus: 25
INT Bonus: 25
DEX Bonus: 25
Skill Bonus: 10
HP Increase: 10
Mana Increase: 15
Stam Increase: 15
Swing Speed: 1 Tick {Most likely will be changed to a %}
Dmg Increase: 30%
Hit Chance: 10%
Defence Chance: 10%
Spell Dmg: 10%
Faster Casting: 1
Faster Cast Recovery: 3
Lower Mana Cost: 10%
Lower Reagent Cost: 60%

If you don't believe me on what the actual caps will be take a look for yourself: http://update.uo.com/design_521.html

Ok now that is to say IF and that's only IF your suit already has these mods you will gain the benefit of them. The Pro's don't just give you stats by take them, they just allow you to reap the benefits of Mods already on your total suit.

Now what the Pro's will do is make you pick and chose what benefits you can't live without. The number of Pro's you can pick is dependant on the number of total REAL skill points you have, not modified skill points {ie gains from jewelry/items}. So if you have 700 Natural skill points then you will have the ability to chose 7 Pro's.

Ok so lets see here, I play my tamer the most out of all my characters so I will focus on his suit first. His suit has the following Mods {This is b4 Pro's cap shown}:

Resists: 24/42/36/46/39
Reflect Physical Dmg: 0%
Enhance Pots: 0%
HP Regen: 2
Mana Regen: 11
Stam Regen: 0
STR Bonus: 0
INT Bonus: 5
DEX Bonus: 0
Skill Bonus: 12 {Animal Taming to be 120}
HP Increase: 0
Mana Increase: 20
Stam Increase: 16
Swing Speed: 0
Dmg Increase: 0%
Hit Chance: 0%
Defence Chance: 0%
Spell Dmg: 40%
Faster Casting: 2
Faster Cast Recovery: 5
Lower Mana Cost: 40%
Lower Reagent Cost: 100%

Not that bad of a suit for a trammie tamer, ok now lets look at my suit with the current caps of the Pro's system b4 I take any Pro's:

Resists: 24/30/30/30/30
Mana Regen: 8
Skill Bonus: 10 {This will take my Taming to 119 - Got 109 natural *Flexes*}
Spell Dmg: 10%
Lower Mana Cost: 10%
Lower Reagent Cost: 60%

Ok my total loss b4 I take any pro's is as followed:

-12 Fire Resist/-6 Cold/-16 Poison/-9 Energy {I'm a trammie tamer Big woop on the resist, b4 I built that suit above I didn't have a resist above 20 and did fine so I'm not worried about the resist loss}
-3 Mana Regen
-1 Taming {in essence since I don't need the full 13}
-5 Mana Increase
-1 Stam Increase {Ok not worried about this, didn't build the suit for Stam}
-30% SDI
-1 FC
-2 FCR
-30% LMC
-40% LRC

Ok yeah the loss kinda sucks but lets see what I can do to bring my mods back up to what they were. Keep in mind, the Pro's don't give you mods they just increase the CAPS you recieve from the mods already on your total suit...not individual item!!!

Ok first...I don't wanna carry regs around all my regs are tied up into my Scribe/Alchy in making stuff for my vendors. So I'm going to use 2 of my 7 Pros to get the LRC ones:

Frugality: +20% LRC added to the current cap
Parsimony {Prereq - Frugality}: +20% LRC added to the current cap

Ok what other negs do I have...Hmmm that MR is important to me, so lets see what I can't do to fix that up:

Fast Replenishment: +4 MR added to the current cap

Ok well MR and LMC go hand and hand imho so lets get that taken care of b4 I look into anything else:

Spellthrift: +15% LMC added to the current cap
Spellmiser {Prereq - Spellthrift}: +15% added to the current cap

Ok that leaves me with 2 more pro's to take what do I want to do with them, I can honestly live without the FC/FRC, so I'm going to have to go with SDI on this one:

War Mage: +10% to all Spell Dmg added to current cap
I use fire most with my tamer so I will take this one as my last one:
Pyromancer {War Mage Prereq}: +10% to fire based Spells added to current cap.

ok so lets see how my suit looks now shall we:

Resists: 24/30/30/30/30
Mana Regen: 12
Skill Bonus: 10
Spell Dmg: 20% {30% if using Fire spells}
Lower Mana Cost: 40%
Lower Reagent Cost: 100%

So the sacrafice I was willing to make are as followed:

1 Taming bonus, ok this won't matter soon cause I'll be 110 Natural taming in no time.

5 Mana, Oh well no big thing, guess I can miss one summon food cast per day O.o :P

1 Stamina, OMFG NOOOooOoOoOoOoOOO, wait like I said b4 I didn't build the suit for stam, i'm a tamer, the pieces just happened to have stam on them lol

10% Spell Dmg Increase, this one kinda sucks but in the long run it will make the game better.

1/2 FC/FRC, This isn't really a big loss seeing as I am a tamer and don't cast half the time anyway. What it does though is allows me to drop the Museum Replica shield for a shield that has mods I don't have yet like Reflect Physical or Defence chance.

And that's it, not to bad really. In the end all the pro's system will do is balance things out, making it to where you can't just have maxxed out everything. You will have to sit an chose your benefits, no more Uber artie whores running around thinking they're the big dog on campus. I know most artie whores have worked hard to get what they have and everything, I've worked hard on my suit, but if this system helps but a little more balance in the game then I'm all for it.

What this will do in the long run possibly is:

1. Make Regs important again, and possibly bringing a little more life to Factions again cause people will want to have control of the cities to control the reg prices. Will also give Regs value again :).

2. Will get rid of the over powered artie whore out there that can solo peerless just because they have gear that is completely out of this world...FYI, Peerless were never ment to be soloed...just thought I'd clue you in.

3. Will give a little more balance to PVP, cause lord knows it needs help.

There are a few others but dang this post is long enough as it is, I personally feel that this system should have been introduced all the way back when they added mods to items in the first place. But like many have said, Pro's will probably never hit cause people tend to whine first and think later....don't cry and whine about "Balance, balance, balance" then when the game offers you a way to introduce a little more balance into the game complain about it.

Of course every time EA makes an announcement on anything you have that group of people that whine "I don't want to learn a whole new game this sucks, I'm going to {Incert newest 3D Eye candy game here}"

Um one statement about that....if they go to the newest 3D eye candy game out...isn't that um....learning a whole new game? why not just stick it out with the game you're already established in...if you want to experiance new things from a new game just say so, don't whine about the game changing to much, got news for ya, they all change. Just tell the truth, eh I'm bored and am going to move on. That so hard?

Ok ok, rant off, read, absorb, enjoy...or completely ignore your choice, I'm just a voice in the crowd of many :).
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
He mentioned it before, he wears above 45dci to combat hit lower defense. Alot of people go above caps to counter debuff attacks, like high fire to combat a corpse skin, or high dci for hld, hci for hla. And sometimes it is just part of the suit. My pvp mage has 43sdi, but that is just cause of the stuff on the suit that makes it work, the extra 33sdi is just there.

Good rundown on explaining the prof system as it will apply to you. I think alot of people dont understand this system, and if it EVER does even see the light of day, more people need to know whats going on. But like I said before, I dont think it will ever amass to anything. Most likely it will go to the wayside.....

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
yeah I deleted the post after I read through the post, I mainly came in to clairfy pro's and didn't READ all the post just did a quick skim lol.

And I could run down how it effects each one of my chars, trammies and pvpers both but that would be a long arse post lol since I have chars spread out across 3 accounts. I just used my Tamer as a quick example...in the PVP aspect. well here's my PVP mage suit:

70/70/70/70/74, 100% LRC, 38% DCI, 40% LMC, 15% SDI, 6 FCR, 2 FC, 1 MR, 6 MI, 16% RPD, 4 HPR, 2 HPI, 8 INT, and 5 DEX

Now the pro's I'd take for my PVP mage would probably be

Leather Armor Training: 10 Resist
Metal Armor Training: 10 Resist
Mystic Shield: 10 total resist {5% resist magic is really just another % for your total resist to it gets added into your total resists}

Spellthrift: 15% LMC
Spellmiser: 15% LMC

Anticipation: 1 FC
Rally: 3 FRC

this would make the current suit look like this

60/60/60/60/60, 60% LRC, 10% DCI, 40% LMC, 10% SDI, 6 FCR, 2 FC, 1 MR, 6 MI, 16% RPD, 4 HPR, 2 HPI, 8 INT, and 5 DEX

The loss of resist and DCI would suck but in the end that just means I'll have to be better then my opponent now won't it :D. The loss of the 5% SDI oh well, PVP SDI cap is 10% anyway. That would be the only real loss my suit has which isn't terrably bad imho. Pro's would just make it to where you have to make a choice or get left behind, lord forbid if a PVPer would have to think lol, I know not many of them are good at that if they don't have a 3rd party doing it for them O.o j/k :P
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: proficiency, system