Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Proficiency System?

- - - - - proficiency system

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Branwilde

Branwilde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Will PvP as we know it be shut down buy the Proficiency System that's been disscussed by Darkscribe in UO? http://update.uo.com/design_521.html
Posted Image

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
pls no

boycott the proficiency system!

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I dont see it coming into effect anywhere near what we originally heard, or even at all. I think once they start talking about it again it will be tweaked a bit more, and less crappy. Who knows with this new PB system, maybe they will just forget about the prof system and we can all be happy as we are now!

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
i hate PB too

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Yah, I think the majority does not like it either. It seems pretty well spread across that they dont like the potential privacy problems. Plus there are those people who love to cheat and would absolutely SUCK in pvp without it. Not saying that all those that use it would suck, but there are alot of only-good-because-of-a-cheat pvpers out there.

Branwilde

Branwilde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
The proficiency system seems to take skill bonuses away from armor and weapons and into a system that has many variables that must be learned, may reduce some bonuses and changes perhaps once a day. Are the qualities of the proficiency system added on top of the bonuses given by armor worn and weapons carried? or Will the bonuses given by armor and weapons be erased? As far as I can tell we will keep our scroll bonuses and add proficiencies on top of them.

Is this just another method of counting the same numbers, and if so WHY? To take work from tailors and smiths just as it was taken away from smiths with the introduction of repair deeds?

If I understand correctly, the Proficiency System is a way to tie PvP skill to skill development rather than items used. Both systems are using similar points available in bonus areas, with some dumbing down in proficiencies. The same bonuses are being counted in two seperate ways. Why invent a different system when the one that's used works for PvP players? I just don't get it.

Will we have to pay UO to gain skill, rather than other players? Keep your great armor in safe storage when the changes occur, and occur they will, there may be some changes to their listings if my suspicions are accurate.(who knows if they really are?)
Posted Image

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I dont think proffs will kill PvP. It will sort of allow many folk who coudlnt keep up with the armour in casual play. If id still been playing i might be able to reach the minimum armour levels allowed by proffs. Where as those that canned me through equipment, will be bought closer to my level.
I know its going to hurt a lot of people, but it certainly doesnt hurt me :)

Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
From what I gathered, the Prof system will work like an auto property. Say you spend 1 prof on LMC, ok, so now you have say 15 automatically. Spend another one, and get 30 (just making up numbers) Now all you need on your suit is 10, to hit the 40 cap. I dont know what the caps will be, but I believe the profs are to help the average suits even with the amazing suits. I think there will be a set cap, which is much lower than before, for stats before you put a prof on it. Like the LMC cap without profs will be 10, and to get to 30, you need to spend proficiences. Or mana regen will be 8 before, and you can add 4 more mr through profs. Get what I mean?Even so, I dont think the prof system will come into effect like they explained it before, if at all.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
proffs will make my 65 80 70 90 70 15 regen, 40 lmc, 60 dci 35 hci, 35 hld suit worthless
all i know...

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

proffs will make my 65 80 70 90 70 15 regen, 40 lmc, 60 dci 35 hci, 35 hld suit worthless
all i know...

80 fire
90 poison

worthless extra resists

60 dci

how will that become worthless?

35 hld

how will that become worthless?

15 regen

uh oh, no more unlimited mana, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

i hate PB too

oh no, no more auto-target, no more combat medic, time to quit now.

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Rofl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well, some people make their fire and poison way high, so that when they go into vamp or wraith form, their fire is still decently high. Or say, when you fight a necro, which is just about what every gank squad uses, (withers FtW) they corpse skin you, your fire is still high enough to live. So going over 70 does have its advs.

As far as the stats that go over, like on my mage suit, I have like 45 SDI. I know there is a cap of, what is it like 10 in pvp. It is just part of the suit. Scrappers, pendant, kasa, and some on a jewel. The pieces just go together well, and yah you get overkill on some stats. My LMC is at 50, but that is just cause the armor I wear tagged with my scrappers, pendant, void help it out alot.

With the profs, you can most likely max out hci, dci, Di, and HLD just off of 1 weapon alone. Well maybe not hci and dci at the same time, cause that is not the ordinary weapon, but it will free up a jewelry spot so you can wear
a ring with mana inc or resists.

What will be nice about these new profs is, that one barbed kit you burned, and got a set of sleeves, with 5 hp+ 6mana+ lmc, hpr but really crappy resists, like 6 5 7 8 5, you can use now. Due to the resists being all jacked up, but the mods on it will be more desirable instead of resists and mods together..... You will see alot of people running around with those types as opposed to the 79 resist pieces.. Just what I think

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Well, some people make their fire and poison way high, so that when they go into vamp or wraith form, their fire is still decently high. Or say, when you fight a necro, which is just about what every gank squad uses, (withers FtW) they corpse skin you, your fire is still high enough to live. So going over 70 does have its advs.

True, true, true, wither does cold damage, and true. But with the info given of just resists, not template or possible foes, anything over 70 is worthless.

What will be nice about these new profs is, that one barbed kit you burned, and got a set of sleeves, with 5 hp+ 6mana+ lmc, hpr but really crappy resists, like 6 5 7 8 5, you can use now. Due to the resists being all jacked up, but the mods on it will be more desirable instead of resists and mods together..... You will see alot of people running around with those types as opposed to the 79 resist pieces.. Just what I think

Now... if only everyone else understood this.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well, I think anyone that goes out and pvps knows for a fact that necros are the easiest gimpiest thing to use. Damn I love those 42 damage poison strikes I get nailed with by 5 people at once!! So you can bank on atleast half to 75% of any big red guild you are going to face will be withering away, as well as corpse skin, followed by Exp x FS. So before even walking out the door, I would want to make sure my fire was high enough so when faced with the onslaught of corpse skins I am going to get hit with, I dont spend the whole night with 40 fire, but a reasonable 50something and above(after CS).

So, yes I can see a validity of having way up there fire, but anything else, doesnt get that effected. Doesnt wraith form lower your cold or something? I cant remember off hand, I dont use my necro/mage much, Its one of my older chars, and well, I suck at it still.. hehe..

Still happy using my plain ole pali/swdsman that I've had since day 1, and my latest, the 4/6 chiv/mage/wrestler "Nacho Libre"

Hey, I just noticed, I just had 666 posts!!:evil4:

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
yes I keep my fire and poison well over 70 to counter corpse.
and I keep my DCI over 45 to counter hit lower defence.

The way i understood proficiencies when i looked at it was that you will no longer be able to have all the mods most ppl like.

if you want high resists you wont be able to have lmc and good mana regen, let alone max hci/dci etc?
or am I confused

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
And why is that so bad? On no, you can't max out every stat/skill/item property!!!!

Guess what? You won't be the only one. If you chose to go with max resists then yes, your hci/dci cap won't be as high as the guy with 35 resists across the board. Take some, give some, you get hit for 7-10, while they get hit for 15-20, is that so bad?

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
thats lame.
and waht about all those of us who have invested countless hours + mills in perfecting their suits to be how they want?

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Everyone will have to revamp their suits.

Let me ask you this...

Is there something wrong with PvP today?

What are the problems with PvP?

Would fixing those problems just by eliminating them work?

What (other than eliminating) would you do to fix the problems?

What is the worst thing about Proficiencies?

And don't forget, this (Proficiencies) was a proposed system (like DR was) that hasn't been talked about by anyone on the team in months. They also left the subject with a huge ? looming over it (as to they were still open to other ideas or tweaking the Proficiencies idea).

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
yes there are things wrong with pvp.... BUt not skills or armour or mods

The various cheat programs and speedhacks are wrong w/ pvp sure.
Corrupt Gms are wrong w/ pvp
Im sure I coudl think of some other things too, but the armour and mods ppl wear are definitely not one of them, in my humble opinion.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

Im sure I coudl think of some other things too, but the armour and mods ppl wear are definitely not one of them, in my humble opinion.

Ha ha ha, your a hilarious. Item properties on armor are not a problem in PvP? Take off your

all i know...

and run around in GM armor... better yet, I'll let you run around in a spined kit or dull copper runic armor just to give you some "useless or perfectly balanced" mods. Then run around and PvP and tell me how armor and mods are not a problem in PvP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: proficiency, system