Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Vine Cord Sandles lose properties when worn

- - - - - cord lose properties sandles vine worn

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Noxin

Noxin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ Ironhorse

It's not a question of honour, you've misread what I said, or I've failed to express myself correctly. It's the natural course of things. I was attempting to give a little insight into the mind of the people who would have been affected by this, because they're not greedy dupers or exploiting cheaters, simply people playing the game in a way that's natural to them, having every advantage is a fundemental desire. we can bicker about the minor points of if knowledge that something is obtained "dishonorably" yet still desiring it is wrong or not, but that's all just personal opinion.

@ Sablestorm

I wasn't at all affected by it, but I very easily could have been. This is the point I'm making - I would rate myself as one of the most passionatly dedicated UO players around, yet I would have bought a pair if I needed them.
Regardless of if they're no longer needed to compete at the highest level I still don't agree with the way it was dealt with. That's all. I'm not saying "omg this sucks, Draconi is a nob, EA sux, wtf" I wholeheartedly agree it was a situation that needed to be resolved, I simply disagree with the method.

My statement that I would knowingly buy a duped item is perfectly valid and I stand by it. If tomorrow I needed a high end event item that I knew was heavily duped I'd still buy one, because I need one and they have been present for so long that they're simply part of the game now. If it was deleted in this fashion after I'd bought it, you can bet I'd be annoyed by it.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Oh I hear you Noxin, I'm not trying to judge you. Golem training seemed to get nerfed with this publish as well and I was grumpy about it. I used em to train up RP Story Characters for the events I'd run, but no longer can I train up warriors in that fashion. I know a lot of people are against golem training, but it was a huge boon for me and for what I liked to do in UO.

Out of curiosity, what would you have suggested as a solution? What if they had converted all those vine cord sandals into a lesser form of the swamp boots with 1% poison resist rather than the 2% the snake skin boots have?

woody

woody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
here is the offocial word on hearld
Vine Cord Sandals
Jeremy Dalberg08 May 2008 11:42:44
Some of you may have noticed a change in a certain specific pair of footwear yesterday morning. The various pairs of duped Vine Cord Sandals have been reverted to regular sandals. "But MINE weren't duped, surely!" you say. That is, regrettably, not true. There is only one real pair of Vine Cords. It was a unique item given out by an Event Moderator, and has been, like the Hooded Shrouds (now humble Monk's Robes) the victim of a particularly unpleasant exploit.
This change is permanent, and no refund or compensation will be given. Remember, all trading in UO is "buyer beware", and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Posted Image

Elbryan

Elbryan

Clann Marrach Faol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

here is the offocial word on hearld
Vine Cord Sandals
Jeremy Dalberg08 May 2008 11:42:44
Some of you may have noticed a change in a certain specific pair of footwear yesterday morning. The various pairs of duped Vine Cord Sandals have been reverted to regular sandals. "But MINE weren't duped, surely!" you say. That is, regrettably, not true. There is only one real pair of Vine Cords. It was a unique item given out by an Event Moderator, and has been, like the Hooded Shrouds (now humble Monk's Robes) the victim of a particularly unpleasant exploit.
This change is permanent, and no refund or compensation will be given. Remember, all trading in UO is "buyer beware", and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Too bad she is wrong. It was a Seer item that received properties after AOS came out.

Noxin

Noxin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Personally, I would have gone with the even the playing field solution.
Given free range to solve it as I see fit and other things in the publish, I would have created 2 new footwear items that have the same total resists but with a more randomly generated spread that allows aiming for the "perfect" pair for your suit, one pair for the recent turn in and the other craftable by a faction tailor in some way.
In this way the vine cords would become less desirable than the new ones.

People may complain that they're too high powered, but that's really not the case in my opinion, while the resists allow stacking further mods on your armour, it's not a huge deal given the sheer amount of quality armour there is now. If anything it's an advantage because it's more geared towards assisting a player reach that top tier who otherwise might not have been able to.
But then I'm a big fan of making everything easy to obtain to encourage PvP, which is an ideal rife with potential problems too.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Too bad she is wrong. It was a Seer item that received properties after AOS came out.

This is simply not possible. Before AOS there was no energy resist or poison resist, it was all one type of damage. Items had to be specifically designated to receive the new properties during the conversion. There are only two possibilities for Vine Cord Sandles.

1) They were given out pre-AOS and a Gamemaster altered them to include the new properties. This is extremely unlikely.
2) They were given out after AOS. This is extremely likely.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

This is simply not possible. Before AOS there was no energy resist or poison resist, it was all one type of damage. Items had to be specifically designated to receive the new properties during the conversion. There are only two possibilities for Vine Cord Sandles.

1) They were given out pre-AOS and a Gamemaster altered them to include the new properties. This is extremely unlikely.

What if the item was created by a Seer, but the system recognized it as something other than footwear? What if it was recognized as another piece of armor, for instance? Then couldn't it have been converted like another piece of armor to include the resists it has? What were the vine cord sandal resists anyway? I never bothered with them myself.

Halister Marner

Halister Marner

Roleplayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
If an item gave an armor bonus pre-AoS, then it would be converted to have AoS item property mods, much like pre-AoS magic shields giving higher than normal resists when they were converted.

Sir_Bolo

Sir_Bolo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

There are only two possibilities for Vine Cord Sandles.

3rd possibility:

3) They were given out pre-AoS. When they were created, the GM or Seer attached the "Invulnerability Armor" property to the sandals, which had no effect since you could not hit a player's feet in combat. When the AoS publish was released, the sandals were converted to the new armor system like all other in-game items, and they got the properties of other Invulnerabilty items: +4% to all Resists and Self Repair 1.
Suddenly they became useful, so the massive duping started.

If this is true, EA has simply fixed a bug in the AoS conversion of these sandals, though they did it 5 years too late...

Manticore

Manticore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Welp, I've stated this a couple of times before giving the history of the item and I'll do it again so there are no confusions. I was the owner of the original pair of vine cords. Given to me by a Seer way before AoS. No mods back then just a stupid pair of sandles with green color. This was on Sonoma shard. Anyhow, I sold it for 5 mil before 2000 or 2001 don't remember. But it stayed on Sonoma. After AoS, the new owner back then icqed and basically showed me the sandles with mods. I was like damn hehe. So it was his prize posession for long time until EM events started. He traded I believe after Season II or III for one of the original Wind Spirits that came out of Legend shard. Next thing I know they started show up on big rare dealers about 3 months after that. Then I got disgusted and stopped following the trail.

Btw, that is not the only item, I had anohter item that was like that too, called Terathian Silk Shirt. This was created rigth after they released all the Seers and one seer on Pacific had whole bunch of T2A related items created and gave them to friends. Well after the AoS patch, that shirt also retained 4 resistance across the board. But one catch, the shirt is newbifield. It now resides in a hermit collector on Oceania.
  • IronHorse likes this

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thanks for clarifying that Manti. Its sad when people have to ruin the game for such people, especially the collectors. I laugh at everyone who bought these knowing the consequences and yet still whine about it day and night now.

It wont be before too long when other popular items start ending up the same way and its shameful.

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I think its wonderful that they nerfed the sandles....... LONG overdue!.... Every now and then they pull off a great nerf.... this is one of them.... so was the nerf that turned all the duped robes into brown ones.. I love it....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Parkay_*

Guest_Parkay_*
  • Guests
You know what would b really cool is if they announced what items they release and then had some sort of tracking system for it all...

had an amount per shard listed somewhere where it was VISIBLE so people could figure out for themselves weather rares are duped or not ?

possibly on uo.com or whatever else... something that updates and maintains and lets people know that yes... if he has one and he didnt get it here its duped..

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
It is all Manticore's FAULT!!! =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Manticore

Manticore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
o also, I was notified that at least 2-3 more houses are burnt to the ground. One is in GL tokuno island. The developers instead of putting a scarecrow up this time they put a pair of normal sandles LOL

Halister Marner

Halister Marner

Roleplayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Hopefully they'll get most of them in the next several hours, should be interesting to see whos houses fall =)

galefan2004

galefan2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
I really don't think legitimate players are hurt because I don't believe that legitimate players buy items that are duped to begin with. Everyone that paid attention knew that the items were duped. I'm very careful with what I buy because I want to make absolutely certain everything I own is legal.

Halister Marner

Halister Marner

Roleplayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Just as an interesting side note, all the brokers webpages have these items removed from them now, including the lieutenant sashes, ari robes, etc...

Littleblue

Littleblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Probably a little late to now...

I'm sure Draconi and Team have already got all the information and inventories they needed before they started implementing their plan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cord, lose, properties, sandles, vine, worn