Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

The Vanguard Attacks! (Some Spoilers)

- - - - - attacks spoilers vanguard

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

That's awesome...... I was in Serpents Hold awhile ago.... was rather slow..... VERY few folk were there.... GL seems to not care about events anymore..... rather sad..... I guess the greedy folk got what they wanted early on and then left.... Now it's barren......

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Malag, that's why I keep multiple characters across multiple shards. GL just doesn't cut it anymore. I just can't bring myself to cough up the money to transfer all of my chars off.

Anvilinous

Anvilinous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
for the most part i agree with you about Gl, but it also depends on the time,

jsut did the spawn now, 1;30 pm est, 6-7 people here at cove, thoguh it did start out kinda light

nu'jelm on the other hand, usually pretty empty,

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Aye, both nu'jelm and cove had vanguards, and nobody to fight them when I went there the other evening.

I noticed the vanguard in nu'jelm switch their spawn point to directly in front of the town square, from their original spawn point inside of the chapel...

I'm not sure exactly how it's set up, but I can see why it would create a challenge, having a group of vanguards teleport behind you and suddenly spawn more stuff there while you're already fighting the mobs in front of you.

Nice design 'feature' :).

On a side note, I think Draconi is just trying to get us all killed.:laugh::eusa_clap::dance:

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Well, I take back everything I said about GL in this thread.

Apparently you just can't play at night :) I was home from work yesterday, and found several very fun and helpful people in Cove and Papua.

Anvilinous

Anvilinous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
i think great lakes plays during the day and banksits at night, then its early morning/late night despise runs. seems like that,

sometimes when im in the nujelm spawn i swear there is a gm watching me and spawning monsters all around just as im gaining the upperhand in a fight, i cant kill a thing in that town,

on the plus side, my horse gets lots of exercise runing up and down the main city street.

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Not sure if this was a bug or not, but it seems like the loot tonight on the Vanguards was open to everyone. Me and another person were killing the vanguards, and it has gotten to the point that I can near solo them with my bush archer, so really the other person was just helping, but everytime I looted I saw both the shield and the sword, and then they would disappear as if the other person had looted them.

If this is the case, then I am hoping it is a bug. I am all for allowing people the chance to get the items, but this is bad! Now people can do just enough damage to get loot rights and it doesn't come down to who worked the hardest, it comes down to who can loot the fastest. :-/

Ash

Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I believe the same issue was with fighting the fallen warriors in moonglow, that the plane sword or shield was available in all aspects of the corpse so became a first to grab it item. Which sucks, as Maroite pointed out that you do the brunt of the work someone comes by with a couple hits and when you go to loot you see the item and then the other person grabs it first. One of the reasons I quit going to moonglow rift to fight as it got frustrating to have to race to loot.

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I believe the same issue was with fighting the fallen warriors in moonglow, that the plane sword or shield was available in all aspects of the corpse so became a first to grab it item. Which sucks, as Maroite pointed out that you do the brunt of the work someone comes by with a couple hits and when you go to loot you see the item and then the other person grabs it first. One of the reasons I quit going to moonglow rift to fight as it got frustrating to have to race to loot.

Yeah its one thing making the mobs killable by all builds, but making the loot free for all was really the wrong thing to do. It just makes the community less likely to want to participate because there is always going to be some greedy person who loots all of them. I know on one of the Vanguards we killed I only looted the sword, and left the shield cause I thought it was bugged, but on the next one we killed she looted both of the items. :-/

I hope this is a bug and not working as intended. :-/

holmedog

holmedog

The Holmedog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I was getting shields and the othe rperson was getting swords as of two days ago. I'm sure it was the RNG giving me the shields every time though.

gryphonuo

gryphonuo

LORD GRYPHON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have been doing the spawn on a regular basis on Great Lakes. When i can pull a Controllers and solo him on my sammy i get both shield and sword but if anyone hits it once i only get one. So looks like 1 hit in certain fights gets ya a shield or sword.

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I don't think it's a bug I think that the Vanguards are designed so that the top X number of attackers each get a slice of the pie so to speak..... Unfortunatly what this really means is that even though %tage wise one person may do 99% of the damage since they are calculated by Top attackers unfortunatly that seems to win out over anything else.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I don't think it's a bug I think that the Vanguards are designed so that the top X number of attackers each get a slice of the pie so to speak..... Unfortunatly what this really means is that even though %tage wise one person may do 99% of the damage since they are calculated by Top attackers unfortunatly that seems to win out over anything else.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The open corpse seemed to be a glitch in the system and it corrected itself after the server went down. Also, it seems that even if someone is there to do damage, but then leaves before the vanguard dies and you do more damage and no one else damages the vanguard, you can recieve both shields and swords.

Me and my greater dragon can now solo the vanguards, pretty easily. I think my GD can actually do the job alone, and it seems like when I am not around, the vanguard will just fight with her and not bother to spawn anything. Perhaps the spawn is based on player interaction with the vanguard?

MalagAste

MalagAste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
That is an interesting theory.... Perhaps it is correct.... my GD isn't good enough to solo a Vanguard.... but he's getting there

Posted Image
Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maroite

Maroite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

That is an interesting theory.... Perhaps it is correct.... my GD isn't good enough to solo a Vanguard.... but he's getting there

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yeah. Mine is a nice one <3 I love her. She's like family. haha

I died when we engaged the Vanguard, couldn't get invis off. When I got back, she was the only one there and the Vanguard was at 30% or so. She was biting him for 50ish. Her life was around 65-70%. There was also no spawn.

She is definitly a force to be reckoned with! :D

The_Nickman

The_Nickman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Very odd.

I wonder if it has meaning in this context, or if they Shadowlords are just referring to a heap of our bodies, and the designers are using a religious phrase to mess with us.

It is worth noting that, in Ultima 4, the game that introduced the Virtues, there were 12 companions that could join the Avatar. (Only 7 or 8 at a time, but 12 in total COULD join you.)

One of them was named Saduj, and he would betray the party in battle.

Saduj is Judas spelled backwards, and Jesus Christ had 12 Apostles. Richard Garriott's intention in Ultima 4 was clearly incorporate religious, specifically Christian, imagery to drive home the fact that the Avatar was a kind of Christ figure for the Ultima universe.

Is Draconi also following this technique? Or is he maybe just messing with us?

Time will tell.

-Galen's player

I know this is old, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I have finished Ultima IV on numerous occasions and the only companions you can have are the 8 originals, one from each virtue town (and of course you can't have the character who's class you are join you either). I've never heard of this Sudaj or any of these other four "extra" companions...

Telerandil

Telerandil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have finished Ultima IV on numerous occasions and the only companions you can have are the 8 originals, one from each virtue town (and of course you can't have the character who's class you are join you either). I've never heard of this Sudaj or any of these other four "extra" companions...

Just to clarify--Saduj is from Ultima V. And yes, he does betray you. =)

The_Nickman

The_Nickman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Just to clarify--Saduj is from Ultima V. And yes, he does betray you. =)

Oh yeah, in Ultima V you have a much wider variety of companions you can choose from. I still don't remember this Sudaj before, I must've never encountered him or bothered with him before I guess. (Plus I basically only ever stuck to the "original companions" in Ultimas V, VI and VII)...

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Don't know about going to Nu'jelm at all, everything is literally flying through walls to get to me and teleporting right next to me from across the way, even un-blocked monsters.

This caused quite an incident with a demon beserker.

Please at least let us cast area effect in these towns...it's become quite difficult to manage, and it may be just me, but it seems like everything is hitting and moving a LOT harder / faster than it was.

I feel like I'm fighting paragon vanguard spawn that has somehow metaphysically hacked a GM's account and is abusing the 'teleport' feature.:5nuclear::unsure:

Lady Kylana

Lady Kylana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Wow, I left the game for 6 months and come back to this :)
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: attacks, spoilers, vanguard